Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The thing that got me on rewatching it is that seasons 5-7 were really bad, but there was a lot of ridiculous poo poo to laugh at. Season eight had a few of those things, but mostly it was just boring. It was the only season that felt like a slog for me to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

There is absolutely no way even a competent season 1-4 writer can salvage what was done in 5-8 so lol at what we are going to get. Now that there is no pretense of this being good I am just strapping in to enjoy the ride.
Most of it can be ignored due to the new setting at least.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is these legacy shows love call backs

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's an EW video on YouTube where MCH confirms Dexter hasn't been killing in the past 8 years. So make of that what you will

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

codo27 posted:

There's an EW video on YouTube where MCH confirms Dexter hasn't been killing in the past 8 years. So make of that what you will

I'm getting flashbacks to that dog with the huge balls, from Van Wilder.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

codo27 posted:

Oh nice, I actually called something. That hardly ever happens. Neat.

I forgot to mention the other day, but now that he's been shown in the trailer (which by the way, is it just me or was this was kinda meh overall?), I feel like we're gonna have a really dumbass twist with Harrison being a ghost too. But they won't reveal it for awhile, so we'll have a few episodes of father son bonding only for it to be revealed he was never really there, ala season six.

Or he'll die in a cheap attempt at emotional drama. I dunno, something dumb for sure though.

And I'm calling it now, Hannah will have abandoned him shortly after they got to Argentina.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

codo27 posted:

so Harrison is supposed to be like 10 yo in that trailer?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope it's entirely on purpose like he hasn't killed anyone for the past 8 years but also it has been 15 years since Hurricane Dead Mom

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is these legacy shows love call backs

The big question we're all asking is what are the Dexter remake's C3PO/R2D2 going to look like? I.e. poo poo that does not need to be there, but the creators are going to stuff them in anyway because they're bereft of actual creativity.

I'm guessing an entire circus of head characters, while also fleshing the wink wink poo poo out with really stupid callbacks like buying the people he works with doughnuts every day. Probably at least half a dozen references to the classic opening scene with the bacon and flossing, etc.

And there's definitely going to be someone who thinks he's a massive creep, but who no one else believes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I could photoshop, this is where I'd post a gif of masuka doing the choking/wanking thing in the far background of one of the revealed shots from the new season

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The opening sequence will be a homage to the original opening, but replacing everything with lumberjacking.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

The opening sequence will be a homage to the original opening, but replacing everything with lumberjacking.

Apparently lumberjacking didn't work out. He manages a hardware store now.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to that dog with the huge balls, from Van Wilder.

Harrison gonna be a fake because he hasn't released in so long and he's experiencing some intense fever dreams.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some dumb Season 8 poo poo:

- Dr. Brain Lady's tragic backstory is revealed in the same conversation that it's undercut by Dexter figuring out that her son didn't really die like she though and he's in Miami and killing people and cutting out their brains. By an enormous coincidence, he happens to be the guy who was dating Dexter's neighbor.

- Dexter protege is killed by the Brain Surgeon and his body is left in Dexter's apartment with a Mama Cass song playing. Dexter asks Dr. Brain Lady if the song means anything. "Nah, it's just a nice song I like to play"

*One episode later*

- I think your dead son is alive and murdering people. "Oh, well you know he used to play that Mama Cass song all the time"

- Debra eats food that Hannah made

- lol this federal marshall seems like he's a European actor trying to do an American accent and landing somewhere near California surfer. And he's hilariously slow on the uptake, just long lingering shots of him making Jesse Pinkman face trying to analyze information like "Dexter is leaving town, right around the time that Hannah McKay shows back up, and someone blonde checked his kid into the hospital using his sister's name .... what could it all mean????"

-oh no Dr. Brain Lady! She was like a mother to me. A mother I knew for 2 months

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2021

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Whats happening in the gif of Dexter remembering windows?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spanky the dolphin posted:

Whats happening in the gif of Dexter remembering windows?

The Brain Surgeon has captured Dr. Brain Lady and cuts her throat while Dexter is outside looking in, and Dexter rushes up to the window in that manner.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hope no ones forgetting about Deb's flavor of the week who she thought was using her to write a book about her called Ice Queen something but it turns out Gym Jim is actually a childrens writer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

I hope no ones forgetting about Deb's flavor of the week who she thought was using her to write a book about her called Ice Queen something but it turns out Gym Jim is actually a childrens writer

Wow I don't remember this at all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I may be mixing it up with a different story, but I think her freaking out at him leads to the realization that "oh yeah, that thing that happened five years ago gave you PTSD, we just remembered this plot point so you can see a therapist," which, naturally, cures her PTSD in like two sessions so the therapist can focus on her real role of talking Deb into trying to gently caress her brother.

PostNouveau posted:

- Dr. Brain Lady's tragic backstory is revealed in the same conversation that it's undercut by Dexter figuring out that her son didn't really die like she though and he's in Miami and killing people and cutting out their brains. By an enormous coincidence, he happens to be the guy who was dating Dexter's neighbor.

Was that a coincidence? Budget Ryan Gosling's motivation was always that he hated Dexter because he felt doctor vogue ill loved Dexter more than him, her biological son. She had been a good mother figure to Dexter because she decided that he was an incurable psychopath and should be trained as a serial killer from the age of like five, while she was a terrible mother to the brain killer because she had placed him in psychiatric care and then never bothered tracking him down after being told he had died. Again, in-universe, this is all treated as perfectly reasonable and everyone agrees things would have worked out if she had just worked out a Code for her biological son instead of trying to treat him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Some dumb Season 8 poo poo:

- lol this federal marshall seems like he's a European actor trying to do an American accent and landing somewhere near California surfer. And he's hilariously slow on the uptake, just long lingering shots of him making Jesse Pinkman face trying to analyze information like "Dexter is leaving town, right around the time that Hannah McKay shows back up, and someone blonde checked his kid into the hospital using his sister's name .... what could it all mean????"

I completely forgot about the fact that Kenny loving Johnson was on this show and terribly misused, much like Sons of Anarchy.

Judging by your post, I assume you haven't seen The Shield, and for the love of all that is good and right in TVIV, I strongly urge you to change that. Forget about him in this show, whatever; he will always be Lem to me, a part he played excellently.

I think anyone else ITT who has seen the Shield would agree that you should watch it.

You wanna see people without infallible plot armour? Real consequences? Michael Chiklis and Walton Goggins at the top of their respective games?

Watch The Shield. It's :kiss: and everything that Dexter isn't.

I don't know about anyone else, but since The Shield thread is likely archived by now, I wouldn't mind one bit if PostNouveau and anyone else watching the Shield live-posted about it :allears:

No spoilers, of course.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 16, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Shield was outstanding and amazingly ahead of its time. As hard as it was to watch when it aired, it's probably even harder now for ACAB reasons

It's definitely relevant to Dexter watchers except that it was extremely good for its entire run.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I completely forgot about the fact that Kenny loving Johnson was on this show and terribly misused, much like Sons of Anarchy.

Damnit I read "Kenny loving" and my mind immediately tried to remember when Danny McBride had ever sullied himself enough to appear in an episode of Dexter. Thank god I just misread your post

I tried to get into The Shield a few years ago but I kind of bounced off after about 3-4 episodes. I think it was a combination of poor video quality on my lovely laptop plus feeling just a slight bit dated at this point (I seem to remember some sort of police raid scored by Kid Rock or something?) But hey, maybe I'll be able to try it again one day. I'm sure I'd like it based on the countless goon recs for it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

timp posted:

Damnit I read "Kenny loving" and my mind immediately tried to remember when Danny McBride had ever sullied himself enough to appear in an episode of Dexter. Thank god I just misread your post

I tried to get into The Shield a few years ago but I kind of bounced off after about 3-4 episodes. I think it was a combination of poor video quality on my lovely laptop plus feeling just a slight bit dated at this point (I seem to remember some sort of police raid scored by Kid Rock or something?) But hey, maybe I'll be able to try it again one day. I'm sure I'd like it based on the countless goon recs for it

Season one is laughable compared to literally everything after it. The kid rock thing IS dumb, but they don't do that sort of thing again.

Later on, Anthony Anderson, Glenn Close, and Forest Whittaker show up and each of them steal the show. Just fantastic stuff.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

cops busting a drug deal they set up themselves so they can take and keep all the money and the drugs only has one soundtrack, and its kid rock

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

cops busting a drug deal they set up themselves so they can take and keep all the money and the drugs only has one soundtrack, and its kid rock

Ok, fair enough.

Also, The Shield is DEFINITELY not a cop show that portrays them in a good light. The detectives, maybe, but the show was originally going to be called 'Rampart', and based specifically on the corrupt cop scandal of the same name. Glad they didn't do any of that and kind of went their own way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judging by your post, I assume you haven't seen The Shield, and for the love of all that is good and right in TVIV, I strongly urge you to change that. Forget about him in this show, whatever; he will always be Lem to me, a part he played excellently.

No, never seen it. This guy is one of the worst castings Dexter had. He's supposed to be one of the big driving forces near the end, the real federal authorities are here and they're going to get Hannah McKay. But he just comes off as stoned and disinterested. They put a detail on Dexter to protect him from Hannah and the marshall just comes around a few days later like "Oh, I'm pretty sure she's gone or was never back in town to begin with so I called off the detail" after having made zero progress on the case at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Was that a coincidence? Budget Ryan Gosling's motivation was always that he hated Dexter because he felt doctor vogue ill loved Dexter more than him, her biological son. She had been a good mother figure to Dexter because she decided that he was an incurable psychopath and should be trained as a serial killer from the age of like five, while she was a terrible mother to the brain killer because she had placed him in psychiatric care and then never bothered tracking him down after being told he had died. Again, in-universe, this is all treated as perfectly reasonable and everyone agrees things would have worked out if she had just worked out a Code for her biological son instead of trying to treat him.

It may not be a coincidence. They talk about all that motivation later when he confronts Vogel, but I missed the part where he'd had it from the very beginning even targeting Dexter's neighbor because of it. It may come as no surprise that I'm not exactly rapt by Season 8 and it quickly becomes background noise whenever I turn it on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I kind of hope this new season goes even more batshit. Like it's revealed at the end that Michael C Hall isn't playing Dexter, but is actually playing Dexter's son Harrison, and the show takes place in the future.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

dexter had a second protege? wtf? i don't remember him at all

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What was that kid in, like, 3 episodes?

E: it was 4

Everyone loves Doakes but nobody talks about Matthews who could be pretty funny at times as well with his cruelty

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

God Hole posted:

dexter had a second protege? wtf? i don't remember him at all

Zach Hamilton, son of a rich guy who bludgeons some lady to death. Dexter is going to kill him but Dr. Brain Lady convinces him to teach him the Code instead. The Brain Surgeon kills him later.

codo27 posted:

Everyone loves Doakes but nobody talks about Matthews who could be pretty funny at times as well with his cruelty

Definitely something that stands out on rewatch is how much of a huge prick Matthews is. I'd completely forgotten he calls LaGuerta a racial slur in the first season.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Zach Hamilton, son of a rich guy who bludgeons some lady to death. Dexter is going to kill him but Dr. Brain Lady convinces him to teach him the Code instead. The Brain Surgeon kills him later.

I don't even vaguely remember this.

gently caress this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I don't even vaguely remember this.

gently caress this show.

Here's something I'd memory-holed completely: Debra quits the police force and becomes a PI for like 7 episodes. Her boss tips off the federal marshals about Hannah so he can get the big reward (but it's really because Deb didn't want to get with him and he knew she was lying when she called off the Hannah search).

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody make one of those quizzes that mixes in these goon-remembered plot contrivances with AI generated ones and asks you to guess which ones are real. I will take it and I will fail spectacularly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
omg Hannah, buy a loving wig, hat and sunglasses you are so wanted right now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You know, some people called us crazy when we built this hospital on a pier

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

PostNouveau posted:

You know, some people called us crazy when we built this hospital on a pier

What could go wrong?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

timp posted:

Somebody make one of those quizzes that mixes in these goon-remembered plot contrivances with AI generated ones and asks you to guess which ones are real. I will take it and I will fail spectacularly

I had text synth generate from a prompt and got a much better finale pitch.

quote:

The worst part of Dexter was when Quinn killed Deb because he was trying to protect her and he loved her. The best part was when Dexter shot Quinn and his body falls out of the helicopter into the Hudson River and then Dexter goes and sits next to him. He told Quinn he will be fine. I was so upset when Quinn was in the hospital and he said he doesn't want to go home but Dexter said you will be fine, even though he was pretty beat up.

Quinn getting shot and falling out of a helicopter into the Hudson river and just being a little beat up is the ultimate old PI trick.

I got another wild one with the same prompt:

quote:

The worst part of Dexter was when Quinn called Deb in front of LaGuerta to inform her that the Miami Metro lab had matched blood found on the wall of Harrison's jail cell to Dexter's sister's. It turned out that when Dexter saved Harry from being killed by Doakes, Doakes stabbed him and Dexter was covered in his blood when he got him out of the building. When they took him to the hospital, the doctor didn't have any idea what happened, and Quinn told him the truth. After the scene was over, LaGuerta came out to him and, for some reason, she really let her true feelings show. After the two of them had a little talk, she finally told Quinn the truth, that she hated Dexter because she blamed him for everything that happened to her, and this caused her to realize that Dexter had been keeping her around in order to keep an eye on her, and that he was doing it all out of love, not out of hate, which caused her to forgive Dexter.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 17, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nep-Nep posted:

I had text synth generate from a prompt and got a much better finale pitch.

Quinn getting shot and falling out of a helicopter into the Hudson river and just being a little beat up is the ultimate old PI trick.

I got another wild one with the same prompt:

Obviously fake because no one would care about Quinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Remember that time Quinn killed the strip club guy and then shot himself in the arm so he could claim it was self-defense? And how there was no point to that.