Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The masterminds behind the Blades in the Dark inspired game Wicked Ones (FREE version here), about a group of fantasy monsters building a dungeon, launching raids on the surface to gather a hoard, and pursuing a nefarious master plan; have a new Blades in the Dark inspired game that will be Kickstarted soon.

One of the creators describes Relic as, "In short, it's kind of like Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter meets Princess Mononoke and Breath of the Wild, with some low-tech steampunk thrown into the mix. Its mechanics are an extension of the work we did modifying FitD in Wicked Ones, so there'll be a lot of familiar territory there."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/banditcamp/relic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

dwarf74 posted:

Gammarauders!

e: I have my copy nearby, here's a few more pictures from the game. It's... not very good? But I have a nostalgic soft spot for it.

I played it way more than it deserved when I was a kid, because it has a funny sense of humor, some cute setting stuff, and a lot of cardboard chits. It also very much encouraged players to turtle up and do nothing much of note, iirc, but that may have been us playing it wrong.

There was even a comic book for a while, I think.

I guess the Gammarauders design team didn't talk to the marking team at ALL. I saw those ads and then let out a "Wut" when I saw the game box at the store, with the giant penguin on it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Wheeljack posted:

I guess the Gammarauders design team didn't talk to the marking team at ALL. I saw those ads and then let out a "Wut" when I saw the game box at the store, with the giant penguin on it.

Oh man. That has absolutely jack poo poo to do with the board game. It's wrong in tone, art direction, and even plot summary, since the slugnoids are just background flavor used in cards - and each player has a bioborg.

I know there was a short-lived rpg, too, but... drat, dude.

I've never seen that before. Thanks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember Gammarauders! I got an exclamation for the boxed game at dollar tree after TSR collapsed, and the RPG was (get this) released serially in the back of the comics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Helical Nightmares posted:

The masterminds behind the Blades in the Dark inspired game Wicked Ones (FREE version here), about a group of fantasy monsters building a dungeon, launching raids on the surface to gather a hoard, and pursuing a nefarious master plan; have a new Blades in the Dark inspired game that will be Kickstarted soon.

One of the creators describes Relic as, "In short, it's kind of like Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter meets Princess Mononoke and Breath of the Wild, with some low-tech steampunk thrown into the mix. Its mechanics are an extension of the work we did modifying FitD in Wicked Ones, so there'll be a lot of familiar territory there."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/banditcamp/relic
I know why all the new games with super cool settings are FitD based, but I really wish there were some games with super cool settings that leaned more toward the "You athleticsing? Roll athletics" style of mechanics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

I know why all the new games with super cool settings are FitD based, but I really wish there were some games with super cool settings that leaned more toward the "You athleticsing? Roll athletics" style of mechanics.

What do you mean? BitD does exactly that, it's just that the player chooses what they roll and the GM just gets to tell the player if it's more/less likely to succeeded (via position and effect) than a different approach.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

I remember Gammarauders! I got an exclamation for the boxed game at dollar tree after TSR collapsed, and the RPG was (get this) released serially in the back of the comics.
Oh man, that's hilarious.

I remember they did something kinda similar in the AD&D comics, at least at first - full stats for some of the characters and monsters.

I think I got a few extra copies of Gammarauders through Kay*Bee back when TSR always offloaded overstock through them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Helical Nightmares posted:

the Stars Without Number supplement Dead Names.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

aliens confirmed for trans

moths posted:

*Punches transphobic alien*
"Welcome t'erf."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Been working a lot lately, so I treated myself to one of my favourite things- unopened boosters for long-dead card games!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nice! I remember getting some starter packs for that back in the day, with the little fold-out pop-up stands for PCs. Some of my friends bought it, too, but we never felt like we had enough cards to build a proper map, and it was just too different from other CCGs out there.

I remember that there was an earlier card game with a similar roleplaying-heavy concept, where you played people who turned in to dragons. Read about it in InQuest, never found it for sale.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Back in the 90s, my local shop was selling packs for like a dollar a pop or cheaper, but I could only ever get one character pack. I still have a pile of story cards though, so now with these character packs I could potentially get a game going. I'll post the character standees when I open them later.

Edit:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 16, 2021

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

beautiful

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wow! I thought I knew every old/obscure CCG, but I never heard of that one. Super cool.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Ah, arcadia. I don’t think I ever heard of anyone playing it. The fact it was sold only as boosters didn’t help. The impression I got is that when you actually got it working it was just a very simple “move, roll against hazard, move” game.

Now Heresy? That’s an awesome obscure CCG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I also have some Heresy cards. I'd love to get enough to play the loving thing.

gently caress, I'd love to see a RPG in the Heresy setting, if only because then they'd have to explicate how stuff was simultaneously happening in the real world and heaven and hell and cyberspace, which I think was all mixed together somehow? I felt like it was one of those things that really grabbed ahold of and exemplified part of the zeitgeist of the 90s, and in a way that's still relevant, like Unknown Armies and Over the Edge.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I have almost full sets of the KULT CCG, Shadowrun CCG, Jyhad (The original Bampire CCG), Daedalus's Shadowfist, Doomtrooper, and Heresy. I had a serious problem.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Shadowfist was bloody great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Shadowfist was bloody great.

It still is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
*puts hand out flat, then tips it side to side*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magnetic North posted:

*puts hand out flat, then tips it side to side*
Your avatars look oddly like thematic rivals

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

A longtime Feng Shui fan, I'd love to get some Shadowfist cards, but they're a bit dear for a game that, if we're being honest, I'll never actually play. I do have quite a set of On The Edge cards from when they were going for cheap a couple years ago though:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Remember the loving Highlander TCG? Lordy, it was ugly.

I bought a starter deck as soon as I was aware it existed because of course it was the 90's and I was a schoolboy. I never got to play it. Wish I still had my old garbage pile of useless games no one would play back in the day.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Someone somewhere ever, please play Anachronism with me. :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

That Old Tree posted:

Remember the loving Highlander TCG? Lordy, it was ugly.

I bought a starter deck as soon as I was aware it existed because of course it was the 90's and I was a schoolboy. I never got to play it. Wish I still had my old garbage pile of useless games no one would play back in the day.

I think we can all agree that any TCG that just uses screenshots from its source material instead of making original art is automatically bad

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that any TCG that just uses screenshots from its source material instead of making original art is automatically bad
What about screenshots and lazy CGI?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sim City TCG was cool though?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I think Decipher at least used original (?) pictures of props.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I had the full "One With Everything" Illuminati CCG set at one point. Which I see goes for about $400 opened on eBay nowadays... :negative:

I never really understood how to play it, tbh.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

They recreated stuff too, I believe with the Lucasfilm people, for the EU cards. They even talked about it in Star Wars Insider.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sim City TCG was cool though?

Was it? I never played it but I heard it was absolutely awful. Like, Spellfire awful.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Magnetic North posted:

Was it? I never played it but I heard it was absolutely awful. Like, Spellfire awful.

As I recall it was one of those ones that was nearly unplayable with a starter deck because the game mechanics relied on certain kinds of cards being in your deck and the starter was just a random set of cards. Like imagine MtG starter decks that were just a random set of all cards, and you might not get any lands.

Arcadia was similar - you'd buy a few packs and discover that you couldn't actually play it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah, Arcadia desperately needed starter decks that would give you the bare minimum number of cards you actually needed to play a game.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Imagined posted:

I had the full "One With Everything" Illuminati CCG set at one point. Which I see goes for about $400 opened on eBay nowadays... :negative:

I never really understood how to play it, tbh.

The thing with Illuminati CCG was that it took an existing board game which was all about managing a resource - money - and then removed it from the CCG, replacing it with "action tokens" which did not accumulate in the same way. It tried to make up for this with more card abilities, but it ultimately never worked well whenever I played it. I'm amazed that the factory set sells for so much when you might just as well play the original board game.

And oh god, the Doctor Who CCG was terrible. If I recall correctly, it had the inspired rule that when you got damaged, you had to draw a new card from your deck to see if it would allow you to time travel, and if you didn't, you took another point of damage and repeated the process.

On the other hand, Battle 3000 Come Defend Your Planet was.. a thing. I don't think I've ever heard of it being played and I never saw any of it beyond a single starter that our FLGS owner picked up at a con.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I'm extremely confused by this card, because as far as can tell the only game rules information conveyed by this card is that this picture, which is apparently of Amanda, represents the character Amanda.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

A longtime Feng Shui fan, I'd love to get some Shadowfist cards, but they're a bit dear for a game that, if we're being honest, I'll never actually play. I do have quite a set of On The Edge cards from when they were going for cheap a couple years ago though:

Somewhere I have a box of all the Shadowfist starter decks turned into functional decks that are great for casual play. There was true joy in playing the Architects of the Flesh and dropping a Neutron Bomb to wipe out all characters. That might be the best multiplayer CCG after Vampire.

Also I completely support your wonderful, mad desire to play Arcadia. It was always interesting to me but the odd card size put me off and I was probably buying like, I don't know, the Battletech CCG at the same time. It was a wild time.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

I'm extremely confused by this card, because as far as can tell the only game rules information conveyed by this card is that this picture, which is apparently of Amanda, represents the character Amanda.

Persona Cards: This Pre-Game card allows you to play as your favorite Persona. Persona cards have a picture of a Persona on the front, and biographical information about that Persona on the back. Below the biographical information, you will find a description of the special skills a Persona brings to 'The Game.' These skills are known as Persona Powers. You may still play the game without a Persona Card (see Generic Persona). If you play with a Persona, you may only include Persona Specific Cards for that Persona in your Endurance. You may only include Master Cards (see Card Groups) in your Endurance up to the number as indicated on your Persona card.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Back in the 90s, my local shop was selling packs for like a dollar a pop or cheaper, but I could only ever get one character pack. I still have a pile of story cards though, so now with these character packs I could potentially get a game going. I'll post the character standees when I open them later.

Edit:

Got some cards from the main set and the one expansion. I'm a bit surprised that more than one person is collecting them for their fold out character cards. Who knew?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PerniciousKnid posted:

Eh still pretty lame

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Flashing back to early Spellfire and how the photo-illustrated cards were the super-rares and thus "special"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Imagined posted:

Persona Cards: This Pre-Game card allows you to play as your favorite Persona. Persona cards have a picture of a Persona on the front, and biographical information about that Persona on the back. Below the biographical information, you will find a description of the special skills a Persona brings to 'The Game.' These skills are known as Persona Powers. You may still play the game without a Persona Card (see Generic Persona). If you play with a Persona, you may only include Persona Specific Cards for that Persona in your Endurance. You may only include Master Cards (see Card Groups) in your Endurance up to the number as indicated on your Persona card.

If you ever have written yourself into a corner such that you have to put scare quotes around "The Game" in a rules description, you should probably take a step back, get some air, maybe a cup of something nice. It just doesn't bode well.