Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Beetus posted:

I've only ever tried to claim a warranty for a logitech mouse and they sent me a brand new replacement for a 4 year old gaming mouse with very few questions asked. I dread the day I am forced to try and claim a warranty for an actual big ticket item.

v I was lucky enough to get a very nice LG LED set before everything was smart tvs. I finally upgraded to a 4k last year and while it's a great tv, the dumb poo poo they fill it with makes it a giant pain in the rear end. I wanted a tv, not a lovely computer. I have good computers and game consoles. I just need a drat screen. v

Yeah, same, I had a warranty issue with a piece of music gear, and the company was exceptionally accommodating (IK Multimedia in case anyone is curious, I will sing their praises to everyone!).

Mid-ticket items (like appliances vs. bigger-ticket items like cars) seem like the area where they like to gently caress you over. It's often not enough money that they'll get sued over a failure to address the problem, and more often than not, people will go "gently caress it I just want a better one that won't break in the first loving place, rather than wading through this hell to repair a thing I already hate." That's what my parents did with a terminally hexed washer/dryer pair; they just got the gently caress rid of it and bought a really nice LG pair that was far superior to the ones that were broken anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys ought to try claiming a warranty sometime.

They put you through a maze of phone numbers, put you on hold, transfer you, disconnect you, automate your call, tell you to visit the website (which eventually tells you to call the number) and, in the unlikely event you get anywhere, want you to crawl underneath your appliance with a head lamp and read the serial/part #. There are like 4 or 5 different numbers on that tiny sticker if you're able to find it. If you visit the store where you bought it, they'll tell you have to visit the website.

Then back to the website to fill out a form, etc. that you can't email or electronically sign and must be faxed.

This is particularly fun if the product in question is a phone or a computer, for obvious reasons.

The only sure fire way I know to get past the robot receptionist is to press the number that lets you pay a bill or order new additional services or products. Oddly enough, those calls get through really quickly and a live representative is almost immediately on the line more than willing to help you and promptly take your credit card #.
My phone wanted me to download their app to diagnose my non-functional phone. And wouldn't let me progress until I tried that.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

weaponized lovely bureaucracy is unfortunately a widespread practice. a while ago i had to discontinue a payroll card because it required a monthly "maintenance fee" :rolleyes:. rather than a webpage where i could enter my information i had to personally call a number, input data using the phone keypad and verbal commands, then wait on hold until i was attached to an actual person who confirmed that i wanted to cancel. the obvious ploy was to make it as much of a pain in the rear end as possible to discontinue so they could keep draining money.

side note: is anyone able to spell "bureaucracy" without looking it up? i have to spellcheck every time

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys ought to try claiming a warranty sometime.

They put you through a maze of phone numbers, put you on hold, transfer you, disconnect you, automate your call, tell you to visit the website (which eventually tells you to call the number) and, in the unlikely event you get anywhere, want you to crawl underneath your appliance with a head lamp and read the serial/part #. There are like 4 or 5 different numbers on that tiny sticker if you're able to find it. If you visit the store where you bought it, they'll tell you have to visit the website.

Then back to the website to fill out a form, etc. that you can't email or electronically sign and must be faxed.

This is particularly fun if the product in question is a phone or a computer, for obvious reasons.

The only sure fire way I know to get past the robot receptionist is to press the number that lets you pay a bill or order new additional services or products. Oddly enough, those calls get through really quickly and a live representative is almost immediately on the line more than willing to help you and promptly take your credit card #.

I claim warranties and insurance all the time on all my electronic devices.
It's all automated websites and I never have to talk to a real person?
Just last month I shattered my phone screen and the guy drove out two days later

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone watched Mike Judge's Silicon Valley? It touches on a lot of poo poo we get on about in this thread but this little clip in particular is basically my entire relationship with just about anything tech related, especially if it's new and "cutting edge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOEEpWAXgU

They go from a VR hologram, to Zoom all the way down to phone chat and speaker phone and none of it loving works.

lmao

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Calumanjaro posted:

My phone wanted me to download their app to diagnose my non-functional phone. And wouldn't let me progress until I tried that.

That checks out. Thanks for the belly laugh too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Stexils posted:

weaponized lovely bureaucracy is unfortunately a widespread practice. a while ago i had to discontinue a payroll card because it required a monthly "maintenance fee" :rolleyes:. rather than a webpage where i could enter my information i had to personally call a number, input data using the phone keypad and verbal commands, then wait on hold until i was attached to an actual person who confirmed that i wanted to cancel. the obvious ploy was to make it as much of a pain in the rear end as possible to discontinue so they could keep draining money.

side note: is anyone able to spell "bureaucracy" without looking it up? i have to spellcheck every time

I just remember that it's "bureau cracy," from the Greek bureau kratia, i.e. "rule by a chest of drawers." :pseudo:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Stexils posted:

I mentally split it into "bureau" + the "-cracy" suffix, and that works for me. I guess taking French in grade school helped since that makes it way easier to spell "bureau".

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thats the part that gets me. i always want to add an o somewhere

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone watched Mike Judge's Silicon Valley? It touches on a lot of poo poo we get on about in this thread but this little clip in particular is basically my entire relationship with just about anything tech related, especially if it's new and "cutting edge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YOEEpWAXgU

They go from a VR hologram, to Zoom all the way down to phone chat and speaker phone and none of it loving works.

I'm sure it's been quoted in the thread before, but there are a few articles where they pointed out how hard it was to parody Silicon Valley. Here's one of them https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley.

That conference for start-ups in the first season was apparently a huge pain. They had to come up with names for the various background groups, and a lot of the stupid names they came up with were already being used by real companies. Hell, some people (even a few goons) saw that joke about the machine that would low-grade microwave everyone in a room to warm them up as a joke about a stupid Luddite journalist who didn't understand THE SCIENCE!.

Also as mentioned in the linked article, one of their favorite stories is meeting with the Moonshot program guy at Google who was deeply offended by the show. He made a little prepared speech, which ended with him trying to rollerskate away only to get awkwardly stuck trying to swipe his ID.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stexils posted:

thats the part that gets me. i always want to add an o somewhere

If I don't remember to do the "Bureau" and "cracy" trick, I will definitly try and spell if "Beauro" every goddamn time. I think because I had a lot of trouble spelling "beautiful" as a kid and so anything that might even remotely get the letters of "beau" in it somewhere catches those old memories. And my highschool French mental word filter.

And you can literally hear the "rock" sound in there, too.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 16, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/taylorogan/status/1438141148816609285?s=21

I’m surprised this thing hasn’t murdered any pedestrians yet

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

Do you mean that particular Tesla? Because otherwise, I have news for you.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jose Valasquez posted:

How the gently caress are insurance companies okay with this, lol.

Edit: Oh wait Tesla issues the insurance right?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
"Still not perfect, but a big improvement" he said, scraping off the pedestrian from his windshield.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Less Fat Luke posted:

How the gently caress are insurance companies okay with this, lol.

Edit: Oh wait Tesla issues the insurance right?

Insurance companies are willing to put up with a surprising amount if you pay them more.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

duz posted:

Insurance companies are willing to put up with a surprising amount if you pay them more.

One thing I am curious about is the financial (actuarial?) model for insuring self driving cars. Aren't current models based on individual drivers being independent in a statistical sense?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

eXXon posted:

Do you mean that particular Tesla? Because otherwise, I have news for you.

I haven't seen anything about Tesla autopiloting into pedestrians, just other cars. I absolutely believe it, I just haven't seen it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sagacity posted:

"Still not perfect, but a big improvement" he said, scraping off the pedestrian from his windshield.

In his previous video the Tesla kept trying to drive into the barriers, so killing pedestrians is considered an improvement over that if you're in the car

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jose Valasquez posted:

This dumb motherfucker was trying this stunt in downtown Seattle. I would normally never suggest this, but if you have a twitter account maybe tag the shitheads @SeattlePD.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Solkanar512 posted:

This dumb motherfucker was trying this stunt in downtown Seattle. I would normally never suggest this, but if you have a twitter account maybe tag the shitheads @SeattlePD.

That made me legit angry. Luckily this portion of the road seemed rather empty at this time, but this is an area where you absolutely do not want to let God MuskBot take the wheel.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

MickeyFinn posted:

One thing I am curious about is the financial (actuarial?) model for insuring self driving cars. Aren't current models based on individual drivers being independent in a statistical sense?

Yes, insurable risks have to be relatively independent. But self-driving cars probably would be relatively independent. Mathematically independence means one Tesla running a baby stroller over doesn't increase the probability of a different Tesla doing the same thing. Although they can both he very high.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Calumanjaro posted:

Yes, insurable risks have to be relatively independent. But self-driving cars probably would be relatively independent. Mathematically independence means one Tesla running a baby stroller over doesn't increase the probability of a different Tesla doing the same thing. Although they can both he very high.

If Teslae are running over strollers at a rate measurably higher than other vehicles, however,

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah once automatic driving is well established your insurance will probably be based on some combination of the vehicle’s physical characteristics (how well it can avoid accidents and how much damage it does if it gets into one) and the auto drive software package.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

I haven't seen anything about Tesla autopiloting into pedestrians, just other cars. I absolutely believe it, I just haven't seen it

You might be correct that this is the first reported case of a Tesla plowing directly into a person while on autopilot, at least in the US. There was a lawsuit filed last year for a fatality in Japan way back in 2018, where a Tesla accelerated into some motorcycles parked in front of a van and killed someone standing nearby in the process. It's unclear whether it hit the person or the motorcycles first, but since that alleges that the autopilot failed to recognize the pedestrian and parked vehicles, I think it qualifies.

There was another incident just last month where a Tesla hit a parked car and killed someone. Skimming the article, it doesn't seem clear as to whether the victim had just gotten into the driver's seat or was still partly outside.

At any rate, the novelty of smashing into people standing on their own rather than next to parked vehicles is not a point in Tesla's favour.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Yeah once automatic driving is well established your insurance will probably be based on some combination of the vehicle’s physical characteristics (how well it can avoid accidents and how much damage it does if it gets into one) and the auto drive software package.

And your typical routes, which will gently caress non wealth havers even harder

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Solkanar512 posted:

The stunt of...turning on AI assisted driving on a city road, while keeping his hands primed and ready to immediately grab the wheel when the car tries to do something dangerous? He wasn't sitting in the back with a weight on the driver's seat, he grabbed the wheel and corrected the course every time the AI tried to cause damage (which happened more times than it should have).

He was actually using the feature the way it's "meant" to be used (despite Tesla's marketing trying real hard to lie about it).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It's still strange to me that in order to read or learn about just about anything related to news that I have to watch ads and that my ad blocker is a problem. But I find it hard to articulate precisely why. I get that the writers and journalists need to make money but, on the other hand, doesn't having big corporations paying for it compromise the news itself? What if the ad buyers ARE the news, the criminals and the ones doing poo poo worthy of reporting on?

The idea of having anything worth reading or watching being directly tied to advertising troubles me - but then I go look at stuff from the 40's and 50's where radio and TV took hold and realize it's always been like this and I feel naive. poo poo like Fred Flintstone and Joe DiMaggio smoking cigarettes. And not just naive but...disconnected and unable to relate to the way things function. Detached maybe. The idea that it's always been this way only feeds my cynicism.

It's a loving arms race trying to protect yourself from ads. Youtube is knifing its way through my ad blockers and other news websites won't let me READ things until I learn about the new Acura. And a lot of people LIKE ads. A lot of people who don't enjoy NFL football watch the Super Bowl JUST for the ads. But it's just such an inherently dishonest form of communication that I can't wrap my head around why anyone embraces it. I used to work in advertising, and still do to some extent since I have to make money in order to live, but they're all built on deception, seduction and lies. Every single one of them.

It's depressing.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/16/geofence-warrants-reverse-search-warrants-police-google

https://www.wired.com/story/geofence-warrants-google/

quote:

In January 2020, an alarming email from Google landed in McCoy’s inbox. Police were requesting his user data, the company told him, and McCoy had seven days to go to court and block its release.

McCoy later found out the request was part of an investigation into the burglary of a nearby home the year before. The evidence that cast him as a suspect was his location during his bike ride – information the police obtained from Google through what is called a geofence warrant. For simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time, McCoy was being investigated and, as a result, his Google data was at risk of being handed over to the police.

Geofence location warrants and reverse search warrants such as the ones McCoy dealt with are increasingly becoming the tool of choice for law enforcement. Google revealed for the first time in August that it received 11,554 geofence location warrants from law enforcement agencies in 2020, up from 8,396 in 2019 and 982 in 2018.

So if looks like you have to disable location and/or turn on airplane mode to avoid incriminating yourself just by being in a certain place and time with your phone now that Google is just giving out location data like candy to cops? Or is just disabling Location enough since police would have to request cell tower records from phone companies in that case?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

lmao someone dmca'd the video in this post
https://twitter.com/k_pendergrast/status/1438545080193720345?s=20

Plus, the original source from youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PvoqYqK_QY

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

It's depressing.

Congratulations on rediscovering the issues of Ethics In Game Journalism, which have always existed. The news has never truly been impartial. What's new is that instead of having one or two subscriptions of the local paper and maybe a national paper, you now have a wide variety of options and they all need to be paid for, so just paying for every news site doesn't work.

Mercury_Storm posted:

now that Google is just giving out location data like candy to cops? Or is just disabling Location enough since police would have to request cell tower records from phone companies in that case?

This isn't news, and Google does in fact fight back against warrants it considers overly broad (not necessarily out of the goodness of their hearts but still), but it's going to be in conjunction with a warrant and you're not allowed to just tell someone with a warrant to gently caress off outright.

Turning off location just prevents logging specific location data, there's still going to be very course collection, and cell towers will still identify your location reasonably well. Yeah, our brave new world sucks but this is how it has worked for at least a decade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah long and short: If you don't want to be tracked, leave the phone at home and don't wear a smart watch.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah long and short: If you don't want to be tracked, leave the phone at home and don't wear a smart watch.

Also don't drive a car or show your face. And mix up your gait. Work on using your non-dominant hand for things so you can go back and forth. Don't have any tattoos. Actually, no, have tattoos but make sure they're all really common, and do coverups/additions frequently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Also don't drive a car or show your face. And mix up your gait.

Wear that funny mustache mask you always keep around for parties.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Wear that funny mustache mask you always keep around for parties.

Every once in a while, shave that whole head. While it's shaved, put a bald cap on and get some lumps under it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FIRST - develop, produce, and wear the scrambler suits from A Scanner Darkly

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Remember how people make robot costumes out of boxes?

Yeah, that, except a refrigerator box that covers your entire body, and maybe just eyeholes and a mouth hole.

E: actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Jw2QtSYjA

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 16, 2021

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Simpsons memes are getting in on the Tesla action.

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1438579163296841732

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Congratulations on rediscovering the issues of Ethics In Game Journalism, which have always existed. The news has never truly been impartial. What's new is that instead of having one or two subscriptions of the local paper and maybe a national paper, you now have a wide variety of options and they all need to be paid for, so just paying for every news site doesn't work.

I know you're right but it's still loving depressing either way. Even the best journalists with the most integrity in the world need to get paid and I understand that. All one has to do is peruse old publications or TV spots to know it. It's just that sponsorship seems to ruin everything and corrupts the message. Tech only seems to be making it worse.

Like I said, even at my fairly advanced age, I still feel naive. Even a casual glance at much older "journalism" clearly spells it all out. And it doesn't make any of it less depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Journalism may seem worse because it's become harder to hide that it is and probably mostly always has been basically daycare for failchildren, with their op-ed sinecures remaining even as the rest of the staff gets slashed down to like 3 being doing 10 people's jobs.