Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I wasn't expecting this, but my megacorp announced a COVID-19 vaccine requirement today. The messaging is that as a Federal Contractor we're required to do so, regardless of the OSHA rules coming down. They announced this in the middle of union negotiations, which feels like there was some resistance there and they went with the nuclear option. I sort of wonder how much upward mobility this is going to provide as there are a bunch of chud motherfuckers in the mid-to-upper levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

And now he told me 15 min before the end of the shift to find some molds. I found the pallet up on the shelf and he climbed up to count them. Told me there were only eight on the pallet and there were supposed to be ten so I needed to find the missing two.

He wouldn't let me climb up the shelving to count them myself due to safety issues (but his 65 year old rear end totally could) and there were a bunch of pallets on the floor I would need to move before I could get the pallet down myself, so I just started looking everywhere for the two missing molds.

After being unable to find them for an hour I said screw it and dug out all the pallets to count the molds myself. All ten where there.

My boss can't count to ten.

It cost the company like $70 in overtime and disrupted my afternoon plans to hangout with my wife at the local pool.

loving pissed.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Machai posted:

And now he told me 15 min before the end of the shift to find some molds. I found the pallet up on the shelf and he climbed up to count them. Told me there were only eight on the pallet and there were supposed to be ten so I needed to find the missing two.

He wouldn't let me climb up the shelving to count them myself due to safety issues (but his 65 year old rear end totally could) and there were a bunch of pallets on the floor I would need to move before I could get the pallet down myself, so I just started looking everywhere for the two missing molds.

After being unable to find them for an hour I said screw it and dug out all the pallets to count the molds myself. All ten where there.

My boss can't count to ten.

It cost the company like $70 in overtime and disrupted my afternoon plans to hangout with my wife at the local pool.

loving pissed.

you had the perfect opportunity to "OSHA" him

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

you had the perfect opportunity to "OSHA" him

Promotion via proactive measures. Taking the initiative. Move fast and break things.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Machai posted:

My boss just denies reality when he doesn't like something or someone tells him he is wrong.

I had some discussion with him a few months ago about what equipment we had in the warehouse. It was not the stuff he was looking for or expected to be there so he told me I was wrong and he is always right. Full stop. I'm sorry, but if the equipment in the warehouse says it is control number 67336 you can't just tell me it is 66087 like you wanted. The numbers are carved into the loving molds.

Today he told me I was falling behind on taking out the trash and the trash barrels by the lathes were "visibly overflowing". I checked on them and they are at most halfway full with nothing visibly sticking out.

Once my wife's job becomes permanent full-time in a couple months I am leaving this stupid place and going back to school for my masters. I can't wait.

My boss from a couple of jobs back got so overwhelmed with trying to manage his expanding business that he sort of went crazy. I would gather some customer requests bring them to him, he would approve them and I would write up the reqs and send them to the dev team. A week or so later I would give boss and update on how the new features were coming and he would just become enraged "Who approved this?!?" It happened so many times that it became a cliché around the office. We had to have him start actually signing off on pieces of paper the new features and even then sometimes he would be mad about them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Different kind of dumb poo poo, but my boss setup a Bluetooth speaker in our area and has been playing fart sounds through it everyone someone walks by.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is your boss Jim Halpert

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

No, he doesn't glance over at places where a camera should be.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Different kind of dumb poo poo, but my boss setup a Bluetooth speaker in our area and has been playing fart sounds through it everyone someone walks by.

That's great.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Per my boss, the app is worth the $3 for the premium farts.

Also I've learned that hearing an absolute cheek-slapper of a resonant fart actually makes my pants feel like they fit better.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We had a group meeting on Tuesday that involved about a dozen of us driving in from the tri-state area. Already dumb and I wasn't super excited about it, but whatever. My boss' boss showed up to speak, talks about the problems we're having with hiring people.

"The problem is, you're getting paid more to stay home than you are to work right now!"

Followed by, a few minutes later. "Yeah, my hobby is motorcycles, I have 5 of them."

Just completely out of touch with reality and what real people spend the majority of their money on.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

We had a group meeting on Tuesday that involved about a dozen of us driving in from the tri-state area. Already dumb and I wasn't super excited about it, but whatever. My boss' boss showed up to speak, talks about the problems we're having with hiring people.

"The problem is, you're getting paid more to stay home than you are to work right now!"

Followed by, a few minutes later. "Yeah, my hobby is motorcycles, I have 5 of them."

Just completely out of touch with reality and what real people spend the majority of their money on.

How much does a station wagon cost? Like...a thousand bucks?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

A Fancy Hat posted:

... but... you're employed... by him? And so you're not being paid unemployment benefits???

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Olanphonia posted:

... but... you're employed... by him? And so you're not being paid unemployment benefits???

Bold of you to suggest high-level management has the wherewithal to clap two brain cells together.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
I got a new boss who is above me, but below the CEO who was my previous acting supervisor for over a year. Now I only have to interact with the CEO around 30 minutes a week max, and I've started to realize I actually kind of like my job. Best of all is that my check-in meetings with my new boss involve her spending about half the time kvetching about what a nightmare the CEO is to deal with and how 90% of the other staff in my position were on the verge of quitting because the CEO is so horrible. So now I get the absolute psychic balm of knowing that I wasn't crazy and this person actually is just a huge jerk.

edit: just realized I've already made this post

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I got a new boss who is above me, but below the CEO who was my previous acting supervisor for over a year. Now I only have to interact with the CEO around 30 minutes a week max, and I've started to realize I actually kind of like my job. Best of all is that my check-in meetings with my new boss involve her spending about half the time kvetching about what a nightmare the CEO is to deal with and how 90% of the other staff in my position were on the verge of quitting because the CEO is so horrible. So now I get the absolute psychic balm of knowing that I wasn't crazy and this person actually is just a huge jerk.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Not a boss, but the other day at work one of my fellow employees was lamenting why things were so hosed up because of how short-handed we are, culminating in the usual "people make more money collecting unemployment than they do working", to which I cheerfully replied that the federal unemployment assistance benefits thing ended not that long ago, so even if it had been true, it no longer was.

She was genuinely shocked, she legitimately thought that Biden was just going to just give out free unemployment checks to people indefinitely so they'd have no incentive to work and would just stay home instead (no doubt as part of some nefarious, if ill-defined, plot that would somehow allow communism to spread across the country).

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not a boss, but the other day at work one of my fellow employees was lamenting why things were so hosed up because of how short-handed we are, culminating in the usual "people make more money collecting unemployment than they do working", to which I cheerfully replied that the federal unemployment assistance benefits thing ended not that long ago, so even if it had been true, it no longer was.

She was genuinely shocked, she legitimately thought that Biden was just going to just give out free unemployment checks to people indefinitely so they'd have no incentive to work and would just stay home instead (no doubt as part of some nefarious, if ill-defined, plot that would somehow allow communism to spread across the country).

I've been getting paid to barely do anything by my current company for nearly a year and a half. I was supposed to brew our first beer on Monday but it got pushed further out again.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Company owner of my previous job put most of the company in partial unemployment related to COVID "because there is less work" (a special measure by the gov. to help companies stay afloat, mainly aimed at restaurants and places that had to be closed - not for our industry at all). Then repeatedly complained that he himself had way too much work. Completely tone deaf. Cue people leaving.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Spatule posted:

Company owner of my previous job put most of the company in partial unemployment related to COVID "because there is less work" (a special measure by the gov. to help companies stay afloat, mainly aimed at restaurants and places that had to be closed - not for our industry at all). Then repeatedly complained that he himself had way too much work. Completely tone deaf. Cue people leaving.

Lol. Once again, the people taking most of the government handouts and gaming the system are the wealthy. My former boss took so many loving grants and poo poo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My company started the vaccine mandate roll out yesterday and in true megacorp fashion they hosed up the link and no one could log in to certify their vaccination status. They fixed it and I was able to upload my card and everything without any trouble this morning. I didn't realize it at first, but there's almost no time to register; you need to submit something by October 15th and be fully vaccinated before the end of the year. All new employees starting after November 15 have to be fully vaccinated. This is all with full remote work being an option for office employees in perpetuity as it's been wildly popular, though some managers have required on site work for their people at least once a week.

Apparently the mandate is also going to apply to our contractors, so this morning we had our first vaccine rage quit when our part time project manager announced he was retiring rather than getting vaccinated. He will not be missed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've found the people who resist getting the vaccine are generally just difficult and hard to work with.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imagine that.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

My company started the vaccine mandate roll out yesterday and in true megacorp fashion they hosed up the link and no one could log in to certify their vaccination status. They fixed it and I was able to upload my card and everything without any trouble this morning. I didn't realize it at first, but there's almost no time to register; you need to submit something by October 15th and be fully vaccinated before the end of the year. All new employees starting after November 15 have to be fully vaccinated. This is all with full remote work being an option for office employees in perpetuity as it's been wildly popular, though some managers have required on site work for their people at least once a week.

Apparently the mandate is also going to apply to our contractors, so this morning we had our first vaccine rage quit when our part time project manager announced he was retiring rather than getting vaccinated. He will not be missed.

lol my partner's in the heat and fuel delivery business and two major contractors just stated they aren't letting anyone on site who hasn't been vaxxed

I wonder what the drivers unions who have been content to be antivaxx are gonna do

(this is in BC)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, back to the office Monday except for the sick people who continue quarantining. Let's hope for no second wave, huh.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Pyrtanis posted:

(this is in BC)

They had vaccines 2000 years ago?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Had a Executive VP unironically ask for a white version of a client's logo on a white background.

Not transparent. White. The designer went to clarify the request and was told to "just do it".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Outrail posted:

I've found the people who resist getting the vaccine are generally just difficult and hard to work with.
"I know you have 20 years of experience working in your field but I watched a Linus Tech Tips video yesterday so I'm basically an expert too and let me argue with you about this..."

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

Had a Executive VP unironically ask for a white version of a client's logo on a white background.

Not transparent. White. The designer went to clarify the request and was told to "just do it".

Is your VP Master Shake?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Escape From Noise posted:

Is your VP Master Shake?

The just do it part makes me think Nike

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
One of my first jobs was working at a shop building and repairing PCs. My cousin owned it. He was incredibly abusive and greedy and would often brag to us about how much money he made while paying us under minimum wage. He also absolutely refused to pay overtime pay for the mandatory overtime he demanded from us and would threaten to fire us regularly if we took a lunch break.

So I applied to another job that paid almost 4X more, had benefits, etc. When I called him up to tell him I was quitting, he went into a rage about how "this family only cares about MONEY!" and was insulting me and threatening me until I started crying. I told him I NEEDED to find a better paying job in order to make rent but he didn't care. In later years, my family tells me that that cousin of mine has calmed down and become a much better person than he used to be.

I do not give a single flying gently caress. gently caress him.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Escape From Noise posted:

Is your VP Master Shake?

Everything must be white like the STORM OF JUSTICE.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Armitag3 posted:

Everything must be white like the STORM OF JUSTICE.

"Well well well! Look what has happened. Where's your poncho now?" :smug:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

For what it's worth I have no problem with people loving around on company time, it's whatever, I do it too (hell, I'm doing it right now being on SA). The only reason I take any issue with them is because they keep getting all the work I need to keep my metrics stable and not lose my job and then they don't even do it.
As long as nobody's job is being put at risk, Hulu away.

My work gives me work amounts that would take tea drinking cat ladies 8 hours to finish but I just make a few mouse macros and I’m done in 30 minutes. Then it’s just napping, YouTube and answering the occasional email.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Livin the dream.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

armchairyoda posted:

I hope said designer also made a version with a dark outline, or a drop shadow, since that's probably what the client wanted.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Catastrophe posted:

One of my first jobs was working at a shop building and repairing PCs. My cousin owned it. He was incredibly abusive and greedy and would often brag to us about how much money he made while paying us under minimum wage. He also absolutely refused to pay overtime pay for the mandatory overtime he demanded from us and would threaten to fire us regularly if we took a lunch break.

So I applied to another job that paid almost 4X more, had benefits, etc. When I called him up to tell him I was quitting, he went into a rage about how "this family only cares about MONEY!" and was insulting me and threatening me until I started crying. I told him I NEEDED to find a better paying job in order to make rent but he didn't care. In later years, my family tells me that that cousin of mine has calmed down and become a much better person than he used to be.

I do not give a single flying gently caress. gently caress him.

If he's a better person now he'll pay you the overtime he stole from you, or at least apologise for treating you like poo poo.

He'll refuse to do either

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh my loving GOD. Someone just sent out an e-mail with a blank body and the subject "request to be in this group" to the entire loving company. Now idiots can't stop reply-alling and even the loving company president replied with, "I have no idea what this is." Holy poo poo. People just won't stop replying.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Better take the rest of the day off just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Over 150 people replied before I could set the e-mail to ignore. My connection to Outlook actually went down and I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence.