Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i still don't understand what helium does but the whole thing about PoW is that it can't be productive because to serve as proof it must be hard to do but easy to verify. hashes work because if you've genuinely come up with the winning number that should take five quintillion guesses on average, everyone else chugging along at a few billion guesses per second just has to run one hash to see that it's right.

if there's any incentive in helium to fudge the work, then the honest participants have to spend effort verifying it. if the amount of effort required to verify is anything close to the effort of actual work the whole thing falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fisting by many posted:

i still don't understand what helium does but the whole thing about PoW is that it can't be productive because to serve as proof it must be hard to do but easy to verify. hashes work because if you've genuinely come up with the winning number that should take five quintillion guesses on average, everyone else chugging along at a few billion guesses per second just has to run one hash to see that it's right.

if there's any incentive in helium to fudge the work, then the honest participants have to spend effort verifying it. if the amount of effort required to verify is anything close to the effort of actual work the whole thing falls apart.

It makes you talk funny.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

this is bitcoin, so it's always stupider: it was a really dumb and obvious false flag attack. the vandals got their shirts off a truck that was identified as being owned by the government, because the same truck with the same number plate had distributed food parcels during the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/Maidandre/status/1438223501169672196

https://twitter.com/tvocanal23/status/1296486287327862786

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a buddy of mine wanted to install a helium node at my apartment and i said i’d do it for a flat monthly fee from him irrespective of whatever the nonsense crypto stuff is doing, at which point he became predictably uninterested

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

when i was a kid i had a friend whose dad was named dick whitman, i'm p sure its not the same guy though cuz he was a law professor and a mormon.

my friend was one of 7 kids and was an uncle at like age 8 which was weird to young me cuz my only uncle was like 35 at the time.

A couple of really good friends of mine were two brothers (10 kids in house) who not only had brothers and sisters old enough to be their parents, but had multiple nieces and nephews older than them.

They were the only Catholic family in my small town of 440-ish residents. Also my best friend’s half brother (we were around 12) was in his 40’s and taught us to play BattleTech and AD&D.

drat, that was 35 years ago…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FAUXTON posted:

I'm sure it's great for keeping a super secret spreadsheet listing all the train sets you've collected.

Dorian understands…

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Dorian understands…
Dorian will always be the True Satoshi of my heart :swoon:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DerekSmartymans posted:

Dorian understands…

:thejoke:

iirc the original explanation was that he wanted to buy model trains from japan without the currency conversion though, I only assumed there was some underlying "I need to make a database for my trains but it needs to be real secret so people can't mess with it" thinking beforehand because blockchain poo poo always comes off like it's basically a rolodex but complicated for no reason.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FAUXTON posted:

iirc the original explanation was that he wanted to buy model trains from japan without the currency conversion though, I only assumed there was some underlying "I need to make a database for my trains but it needs to be real secret so people can't mess with it" thinking beforehand because blockchain poo poo always comes off like it's basically a rolodex but complicated for no reason.

Incredible that techbros are simping over the absolute most boomer database imaginable

The only thing missing is ticker tape

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the future of money, everyone:

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1438861637079941120

https://twitter.com/digieconomist/status/1438896477590409227

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
1.29.......the osypos number~~

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This math is incorrect, 100% will not produce a single useful contribution ever.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

because it's funny, op

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

this makes me even angrier than I was about all the waste. 97% of miners will do nothing but waste electricity and create literal tons of electronic garbage.

it can't be that stupid

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

vortmax posted:

Dorian will always be the True Satoshi of my heart :swoon:
:hmmyes::same:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

in all of the history of bitcoin, that time dorian was involved in a low speed car chase after agreeing to go out to lunch with a reporter is still one of my favourites

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:sickos:
https://twitter.com/newjerseyoag/status/1438915307058384899

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

vortmax posted:

this makes me even angrier than I was about all the waste. 97% of miners will do nothing but waste electricity and create literal tons of electronic garbage.

it can't be that stupid

I don't feel like doing the math, but wouldn't this be roughly true no matter how unpopular mining was, except at the extreme low end?

isn't it by design that a distributed lottery like this would mostly waste hardware? that the algorithm dynamically adjusts until the vast majority of hardware is useless?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

This math is incorrect, 100% will not produce a single useful contribution ever.

That’s really more a data problem than a math problem.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boxturret posted:

in all of the history of bitcoin, that time dorian was involved in a low speed car chase after agreeing to go out to lunch with a reporter is still one of my favourites

the absolute highlight of bitcoin for me was watching in real time as they jumped the gun with the report, then had to walk it back as it slowly dawned on them that they had been conned out of a free lunch by a kind old man in full view of the entire world

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

I don't feel like doing the math, but wouldn't this be roughly true no matter how unpopular mining was, except at the extreme low end?

isn't it by design that a distributed lottery like this would mostly waste hardware? that the algorithm dynamically adjusts until the vast majority of hardware is useless?

partly, though if you didn't have to run them at the bleeding edge all the time and replace them constantly as they're obsoleted in order to make any money they might last longer than a year or whatever and have more of a chance to find a block that way

it'd still be a worthless waste of energy and material but slightly less

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

yes. the whole algorithm has anti-arms race built into it from the start, which immediately resulted in an arms race because gently caress you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I once looked at a presentation for a start up that would marry blockchaib to trucking. Like it was an image of a bitcoin plus a truck plus ??? = profit

I wish I could find it it was amazing

drk
Jan 16, 2005
U.S. to Target Crypto Ransomware Payments With Sanctions: https://archive.is/Ayest

its surely this, that is good for bitcoins

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

KnifeWrench posted:

kinda. the algorithm is built to waste cycles, not hardware/nodes. if you had only one node then obviously it would get 100% of the blocks. if you had exactly two nodes of roughly equal power then each would get around 50%, and so on. with more than one node you've always got some chance of a node striking out, but the odds of that happening stay small if the number of nodes is sufficiently smaller than the number of blocks mined by the network in the lifetime of a node.

back of the envelope if a node lasts a year and a half, then there are 1.5 * 365.25 * 24 * 60 / 10 or 78894 blocks mined by the network during its lifetime. with exactly 78894 nodes (assuming equal performance) then the expectation value per node is 1, but on average you're going to still end up with thousands of nodes that never mine a block. if you want to build a network where at least 50% of the time you'll have no unproductive nodes you'd have to build no more that ~8305 nodes.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I wrote up how the first week of El Salvador's Bitcoin Law went for Foreign Polilcy. Not well.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
has anyone said president bukkake yet

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Weatherman posted:

has anyone said president bukkake yet

Not yet, but I’m sure they’re cumming.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
president ukulele

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Alan Smithee posted:

president ukulele

More a vuvuzela though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

honestly in that case whoever lent him the money is the one in real trouble

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

If this guy was born a couple of centuries ago, he would have definitely sold the family home for 5 magic beans.

You know what? He probably would still do it today.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Something tells me it is fake (because what isn't regarding reddit finance help posts) but still

:hmmyes:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Buttcion the magical fruit the more you buy the more you poop

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 18, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Graph can you make that image the thread title please l? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

good piece, thanks for posting. i'm working my way through AotFFB right now and am enjoying it quite a bit, didn't know you were on SA, lol