Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
All this and no one mentions the triumphant return of a machine to thrash your own rear end and how it becomes the true hero of the final boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
guys I think this game might whip rear end

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I cannot figure out the last Berdly, Susie, and Kris floor puzzle and I have no idea why. I don't know if it's because I'm tired, miserable, high, or all of these things???

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

drat thats a hell of an ending. it would still be incredibly funny if kris wasn't the one who slashed the tires, but just ate all the sugar in the car

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Mukaikubo posted:

One particularly interesting thing in the postgame....

In the police station, apparently Dad-Asgore used to be the chief of police, until some unspecified incident that you "Don't need to read any more about". Things that make you go hmm...

Wow the mysteries in this ga.e are so exciting

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

overmind2000 posted:

Grand Unifying Theory of what the gently caress was that ending. You probably don't want to read this if you haven't finished the game

One thing I think needs noting here is that the Undertale intro mentions that those who climb Mt. Ebott are known to never return, and yet Frisk chose to do so. We don't know anything about Frisk's life before they land in the ruins, but it's pretty clear it was not a happy one. Like the obvious read is that they were suicidal before the events of the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey kids, wanna be a [[BIG SHOT]]!?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nyoro posted:

I cannot figure out the last Berdly, Susie, and Kris floor puzzle and I have no idea why. I don't know if it's because I'm tired, miserable, high, or all of these things???

Your mistake is not listening to Susie. If you want a more direct hint, four of the pieces have very notable corner shapes; put down those in each corner first and then see what you can do with the fifth, uglier piece.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey kids, wanna be a [[BIG SHOT]]!?

I do not anymore no

edit: real talk those god drat tea cups were the real battle

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 18, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished chapter 2. Chapter 1 really was the ruins demo from Undertale in comparison to the rest of the game. It was a really big step up, and I can understand why Toby said he wanted a team because the increased scope compared to Undertale (despite having only 1 path this time?) is pretty blatant. The way the gameplay evolved over the course of chapters 1 and 2 is really neat (such as everyone eventually getting the ability to act, not just Kris.) and I can't wait to see what else is in store. And the fights are a lot more elaborate and makes some of Undertale's non-superboss fights look super basic in comparison. Kinda felt like UT's game play was a bit stagnant at points, and ACTs didn't really evolve to the extent they did in these 2 chapters in Undertale.

Chapter 1 hooked me and I was sold, but now I'm even more sold on what Toby has in store.

Oxxidation posted:

one other thing i forgot to mention - spamton's parting words to kris about "cutting their strings" cause them to have a screaming meltdown when susie brings it up afterward. they are really, really not happy with us influencing their actions

I don't think that's entirely the case. They have the ability to eject us whenever they want to do whatever. Not to mention they willingly put us back in the shell whenever they're done setting up the Dark World fountains. What happens during the Spamton NEO fight seems to indicate that our ties to Kris are more symbiotic than parasitic. They want us in control for some reason. One theory from this thread put it as possibly a way to turn Kris into someone people would want to see? But yeah this chapter was a pretty big insight into Kris's character. (And the true revelations were a lot more interesting than "Chara broke into the Deltarune universe somehow.") They're clearly hurting in their current situation and the Dark World just provides a lot of escapism for everyone involved.

One question I had a lot during the chapter 2 playthrough was "Ralsei, just who are you?"

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 18, 2021

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

NewMars posted:

All this and no one mentions the triumphant return of a machine to thrash your own rear end and how it becomes the true hero of the final boss fight.

What happens for people who didn't import a save from chapter 1, anyway? Does Rouxls Kaard just have a duck or a randomly-designed machine or something?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

It's 4 am, I can't believe I binged the game that hard.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

What happens for people who didn't import a save from chapter 1, anyway? Does Rouxls Kaard just have a duck or a randomly-designed machine or something?

having gotten my hard drive hosed in the last couple years, I'm going to anecdotally suggest it's the latter

they still mention it as being the machine you designed but the machine I designed is gone, replaced with a stranger

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ch. 2 spoilers, theories: Kris and Ralsei I think both have selfish motivations here. as the Knight, Kris is creating dark worlds for his own amusement (and others) because he depends upon that validation. But Ralsei was completely and utterly alone before Kris did this, and used the spoils of the last conflict to give himself a kingdom to rule over - notably deposing king and queen as prisoners in his castle. Ralsei may be nice and benevolent both outwardly and in his own mind, but he is still taking advantage of a situation to give himself friends - just like Kris. I think that the choices that we get as Kris in the more interpersonal moments actually reflect the symbiotic need for Kris to get us to mediate not just the monster fighting, but also the relationship-building they crave. Even the Nicest Lightworld Person doe girl lightheartedly but accidentally somewhat cuttingly says "everyone knows about how weird you are" in an unguarded moment. We're kind of used to thinking about Kris's weirdness being their humanity, but really it's more like... everything else about them. Ralsei is something else. it's a throwaway joke but the guard to his prison does say explicitly that they're enforcing the prison violently. Also: the queen of spades and king of spades both ruled over different darkworlds, even though one is clearly not card themed. What's up with that???

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One thing I think needs noting here is that the Undertale intro mentions that those who climb Mt. Ebott are known to never return, and yet Frisk chose to do so. We don't know anything about Frisk's life before they land in the ruins, but it's pretty clear it was not a happy one. Like the obvious read is that they were suicidal before the events of the game.

Actually, I think I might have a better grand unifying theory. I've been looking at Kris's actions all wrong, they're trying to solve everyone's various personality problems via Dark World adventures and it's time for Toriel and probably Undyne to get their turn. Frisk could do it in one boss battle but this isn't Undertale

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

A bit of speculation based on the ending

There are two things the game makes very clear when Kris opens the fountain.

1) Toriel didn't go to bed, she's in the same room

and

2) Kris very deliberately opens the door before opening the fountain.

So if chapter 3 follows the same format as chapter 2, namely the main party being Kris/Susie/Ralsei with a couple other people who got pulled in, we're going to end up with Toriel in the darkworld, plus one other person who comes to investigate the house.

Basically what I'm saying is there is better than zero chance that chapter 3 will feature Toriel as a playable party memeber.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

For me, it was the machine with the maximized gun's stat which incidentally is what happened on my Switch playthrough and I am slightly terrified that the game somehow knows about that. If I were to hazard a guess it either defaults to that design or picks between a handful of premade designs at random.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
also it's a small thing and I think optional (it's like 3:30 am here) but quick shout out to Susie eating a whole loving cake out of the air like Booster in Super Mario RPG

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Trip report: chapter 2 loving owns and I wish Noelle was a perma-party member instead of ralsei, and only part of this is because she has 2 of the fusable items equipped on my save god dammit

I'm very glad I found the toilet.

Also secret boss music absolutely loving slaps

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 18, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think I can take another three year wait

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Flesnolk posted:

I don't think I can take another three year wait

It gives me a reason to keep on living so in that sense I don't mind waiting for it to be completed

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ending spoiler so wait did kris emerge from the bunker at the southernmost end of the map

e: also holy poo poo i didn't even know there was a secret boss like chapter 1, i googled it based on what people are saying on this thread and there are already videos of no-hit battles against it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ending spoiler so wait did kris emerge from the bunker at the southernmost end of the map

Possibly. They might have been the result of a science experiment in the bunker considering that

special spoilers for a special fight in Chapter 2

the soul can change colors. If you can bring a flower to life with determination who says that you can't combine human souls?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The wait for the rest of the game is gonna be agonizing. I am completely sold on this game after Chapter 2 showed what Toby really had in store.

Oxxidation posted:

though kris' behavior in the end here suggests that he was either badly misinformed about the nature of the prophecy or has some other factor influencing his behavior. ralsei likes everyone, but he borderline-worships kris. it doesn't jibe at all with his fear of the Roaring and kris' seeming eagerness to bring it about

I wonder if part of that is because Ralsei is an indirect (or direct depending on how much involvement Kris had in the creation of the Dark World beyond creating the fountains.) creation of Kris's. Come to think of it, the astral projection segments where our SOUL's attention gets drawn to Susie would be good opportunities for Kris and Ralsei to discuss things without us knowing.

overmind2000 posted:

special spoilers for a special fight in Chapter 2

the soul can change colors. If you can bring a flower to life with determination who says that you can't combine human souls?

This one's interesting to me, in Undertale, the Soul could only change colors with external help. Here, our Soul changed to Yellow on its own because Kris, Susie, and Ralsei needed us. Just who are we?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Took down the secret boss first try :smug:

A lot easier to handle than Jevil imo, patterns were a lot easier to read and not having to worry about TP means a party member dying doesn't hurt as much. Also no weird bullets like Jevil's carousel attack. The hardest part was getting past those drat teacups.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Araxxor posted:

The wait for the rest of the game is gonna be agonizing. I am completely sold on this game after Chapter 2 showed what Toby really had in store.

I wonder if part of that is because Ralsei is an indirect (or direct depending on how much involvement Kris had in the creation of the Dark World beyond creating the fountains.) creation of Kris's. Come to think of it, the astral projection segments where our SOUL's attention gets drawn to Susie would be good opportunities for Kris and Ralsei to discuss things without us knowing.

This one's interesting to me, in Undertale, the Soul could only change colors with external help. Here, our Soul changed to Yellow on its own because Kris, Susie, and Ralsei needed us. Just who are we?

well I'm not sure we didn't need help. we did make a deal to be a big shot, after all...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
posting because something will make you think "what the gently caress, why is this familiar:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Araxxor posted:

I'm running with the idea that in the bunker a younger Kris had amalgamate-level experiments performed on them that resulted in a soul that has all seven colors. We know from Undertale that humans can absorb Boss Monster souls, so it's not impossible that could extend to other humans as well. Seven souls gives a monster the power to remake the world and that's basically what Kris is doing with the Dark Worlds

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wonder if Toby's a Steven Universe fan, because Queen had some hella powerful White Diamond energy to her, especially at the end of the chapter. Holy poo poo.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
not entirely sure if I'm just dumb or this was some super meta joke or just a bug, but choosing to "click" a popup enemy multiple times soft-locked the game :confused:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Swilo posted:

not entirely sure if I'm just dumb or this was some super meta joke or just a bug, but choosing to "click" a popup enemy multiple times soft-locked the game :confused:

That's absolutely a bug.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The only thing I'm disappointed by is Noelle and Berdly seemingly having their character development soft-wiped away with that weird "actually it was all just a dream" swerve. I was hoping they'd be sticking around and in on the Dark World shenanigans from now on in some capacity and form the beginnings of a Scooby Gang with Kris and Susie.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's not supposed to be any softlocks or crashes to desktop. Any encountered aren't intentional. Chapter 2 is a bit unstable for some people right now unfortunately.

nine-gear crow posted:

The only thing I'm disappointed by is Noelle and Berdly seemingly having their character development soft-wiped away with that weird "actually it was all just a dream" swerve. I was hoping they'd be sticking around and in on the Dark World shenanigans from now on in some capacity and form the beginnings of a Scooby Gang with Kris and Susie.

Given that there's 5 more chapters of this, I'm pretty sure that's not sticking. And I'm pretty sure they were affected by things to some extent even though Kris and Susie implied that to them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ultima Heal is also the best gag in the game.

"Does it really only heal for 2 HP at 100% TP? Yes, it really does only heal for 2 HP at 100% TP."

It's such a loving LISA The Painful troll. I love it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah playing it on the Mac I had to use some terminal command and renaming of the app to even start it. I'd likely have to research where the save game locations are because if chapters 3 onwards takes another 3 to 4 years to release that I would prefer not to be forced to replay everything again

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Clearly this is going to happen, why else did we spend all of this chapter setting up their characters

I don't think there's any need to worry here

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amppelix posted:

Clearly this is going to happen, why else did we spend all of this chapter setting up their characters

I don't think there's any need to worry here

(Ending) Literally one of the last things Berdly says is for Kris to have a good day, and he stops before going off again. It's already there.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Since the new violence/pacifism system is so incredibly transparent, it actually seems like it's a-okay to beat the hell out of certain characters like Berdly or Spamton, since they can't be LOST like most encounters. At the very least, I did and nothing negative seemed to come of it :confused:

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Just finished the game. Holy hell what a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

A bit of speculation based on the ending

There are two things the game makes very clear when Kris opens the fountain.

1) Toriel didn't go to bed, she's in the same room

and

2) Kris very deliberately opens the door before opening the fountain.

So if chapter 3 follows the same format as chapter 2, namely the main party being Kris/Susie/Ralsei with a couple other people who got pulled in, we're going to end up with Toriel in the darkworld, plus one other person who comes to investigate the house.

or it could be that kris opened the front door because they want the darkness to spill out and consume the whole town. the last two dark zones were contained behind shut doors, after all