Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is absolutely hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Jen X posted:

I do feel like it's...a lot

I appreciate that it exists, but almost want it to not continue past this point? It's hard to explain exactly.

I think multiple discrete character growth arcs for a game that's not even a third of the way into release is too much

My guess at what's going to happen is each chapter, you'll have the chance to influence a character down their own private genocide route, and while this will only affect some incidental lines/behaviors during each chapter's epilogue going forward, at the end of the game, things will change based on who you pushed down that route. So, not that much extra work. I'm gonna assume they all, like Noelle, assume it was all a dream at the end, so rather than necessarily becoming heartless murderers, it instead "hardens" them, emotionally, pushing them toward selfish or unkind decisions. I don't think the outcome of any given chapter will have significant ramifications on the ones that come after it, this time, at least not until the last one. I doubt it's an accident that Deltarune has the narrative structure of an episodic "after-school superheroes" TV show. It's pretty clearly meant to reinforce that each chapter is at least partially independent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flesnolk posted:

On a lighter subject, am I the only one finding the graze challenge to be literally impossible? No matter what I do I always get hit at least once.

It's a lot easier if you make smaller movements.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

My guess at what's going to happen is each chapter, you'll have the chance to influence a character down their own private genocide route, and while this will only affect some incidental lines/behaviors during each chapter's epilogue going forward, at the end of the game, things will change based on who you pushed down that route. So, not that much extra work. I'm gonna assume they all, like Noelle, assume it was all a dream at the end, so rather than necessarily becoming heartless murderers, it instead "hardens" them, emotionally, pushing them toward selfish or unkind decisions. I don't think the outcome of any given chapter will have significant ramifications on the ones that come after it, this time, at least not until the last one. I doubt it's an accident that Deltarune has the narrative structure of an episodic "after-school superheroes" TV show. It's pretty clearly meant to reinforce that each chapter is at least partially independent.

that doesn't explain how they'll handle Berdley being dead already by chapter 2. Or paralyzed for that sake, like it seems like they're introducing too many variables. That kind of stuff will have a big impact on future scenes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Here it is up to killing Beardly

Super spoilers of course
https://youtu.be/lz_1uVYDhBA

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Flesnolk posted:

On a lighter subject, am I the only one finding the graze challenge to be literally impossible? No matter what I do I always get hit at least once.

I'm pretty bad at these sorts of things but I managed to squeak through it after a bunch of tries, stay determined! Or not, the reward isn't that significant and I can't imagine it would have an effect on the game's events in any way

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

that doesn't explain how they'll handle Berdley being dead already by chapter 2. Or paralyzed for that sake, like it seems like they're introducing too many variables. That kind of stuff will have a big impact on future scenes.
From the 2020 status update:

and the 2021 one:

quote:

We gained a lot of experience working on this chapter. I believe it's the biggest chapter in the entire game in many ways. The cutscene count is the largest, the story involves many characters, and there are many other aspects that made it a challenging chapter. For next time, I think if we can expand the team a little more, then things will really kick off... maybe.
I have to imagine this is already planned and accounted for. It might be safe to assume other chapters won't have anything as major.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah i'm getting the feeling that you will receive different characters in each chapter to "influence" and genocide routes are for you to corrupt them, susie being the exception because her growth came from hanging out and interacting with Lancer rather than sticking with Kris throughout in Chapter 1. If you go down the corruption/snowgrave route I suspect the final chapter will have Susie acting the Undyne genocide true hero route (either as a megalovania-like boss or a main character fighting Kris/the entity).

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Your Computer posted:

Berdly wasn't exactly a focus character to begin with. He got his time to exist, and doesn't really give any indication of staying around like Noelle did. So it's entirely possible he can just be dead and have no further ramifications on the main plot, just Noelle's.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's one interesting detail and suspicion this route provides. Ralsei is aware of our presence and deliberately astral projects us away when he asks how we're wondering how Susie is doing so he can discuss things with Kris. But it doesn't work on the bad times route so he just waits for that to happen, but it doesn't and he just falls asleep.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I got to say, prodding the lovable secondary characters to do all your killing for you is a really clever way of doing the evil route this time around. Gonna be a tricky needle to thread, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

yeah the geno route’s grimness was counterbalanced somewhat by the bravery (futile or not) of the monsters you were stomping through. this is just you browbeating a traumatized kid into killing people for shiggles

I feel like the difference is in Undertale it's mean because you betray people who genuinely believe in you and think you can be a good person while in this you're being an awful influence on a close friend and really screwing them up and making them do horrible things (and there's still some murders). It just feel more cruel.

Not that there isn't a place for that in video games or anything. Soul Nomad's evil route has the same vibe at times and I still like that game but it's not something I'll be playing through.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Also, in the next chapter: are we going to even be able to leave the house, for most of it? I think the complexity concerns impacting the project are totally fair, but I can also see where it boils down to 'did you do the thing y/n' down the line maybe on some incidental dialogue spots and Major Encounter later. Especially if this is the most 'complex' chapter - we'll see how it goes, I guess.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Something interesting because I'm testing some stuff while I do this experiment anyway: is it just me doing something wrong, or will the game not let you edit saves this time? It undoes my changes every time.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Changes like that could just be dialogue not anything particularly plot heavy. People will probably mention he's 'missing'. Did we see Berdly's family at any point? Honestly if they have his parents as npcs out looking for him that'd feel even worse

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

lol toby fox owns

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Berdly wasn't exactly a focus character to begin with. He got his time to exist, and doesn't really give any indication of staying around like Noelle did. So it's entirely possible he can just be dead and have no further ramifications on the main plot, just Noelle's.

It feels pretty easy to write around School is apparently closed on the next day, and even if we have more days with school "oh Berdley didn't show up today" or something about Berdley's parents worried about him, and noone really sure what happened. (Noelle convinced it was a dream or too afraid to speak up. Susie too clueless. That's all assuming he isn't just asleep.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Also: Sans knows. Knows... everything. At least about who you are, probably. Talking to him about his brother without a chapter 1 save makes him pull some more trickery on you. And then tells you to have more self awareness after he does so.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So as of yet we don't see any real differences in fight vs. spare right?

It's whatever if I get a bad ending 20 hours from now after the game kept saying "don't worry about it", I can look it up on youtube or something and fighting's more fun, but if there's already a real difference I might bother with sparing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

EclecticTastes posted:

adding to this, a lot of the non-berdly alternate route changes are pretty close to the mainline--Noelle still believes it was all a dream, Noelle still becomes more... uh... forward, Kris's friends outside of Noelle don't know what Kris did. Even Susie and Noelle's romance doesn't seem entirely derailed, just taking its own different route (if what I think is implied to go on while Susie's alone in the room with her, and Noelle being FULLY committed to dream theory at that point, is on point). The only huge huge huge plot change is Berdly, who was already known to have two different outcomes (messed up arms vs fine) and there's no telling how much he does/doesn't factor into future chapters. Combined with the episodic chapters, I don't think the added workload is going to be THAT massive. Hell, we don't even know when/how frequently Noelle will return. It might just be minor dialogue tweaks until some major point several chapters down the road.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

It's whatever if I get a bad ending 20 hours from now after the game kept saying "don't worry about it", I can look it up on youtube or something and fighting's more fun, but if there's already a real difference I might bother with sparing.

On a non-bad time route, seems like the main difference with fight vs spare is that the former makes the game more easier due to increased HP, while the latter makes your town more lively. Which seems to be enough of a meaningful difference on the normal paths to go with the playstyle you want. The former will probably get more tempting for more players as the game's difficulty increases.

There are some slight storyline consequences depending on how you deal with certain boss battles.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you successfully Recruit someone (mercy them the requisite number of times) are you able to do violence at them after or will you lose the recruit?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

if you successfully Recruit someone (mercy them the requisite number of times) are you able to do violence at them after or will you lose the recruit?

You lose the recruit, so you can't ever do a violence on a pacifist run outside of specific boss fights where it has no outcome.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

How the dark town builds up is impacted by sparing, which could have consequences down the road. Not mercying the Queen causes Berdley to suffer a broken wing, seemingly.

I'm 100% for the game going "wow, you believed that "your choices didn't matter" thing? Jeeze." (or the "your choices don't matter, but the choices of the characters do" thing people are going with now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

There was an extended epilogue in Chapter 1 if you spared everyone but it wasn't anything super important and I think that's the same in Chapter 2. There may be some differences in scenes depending on if your spared a boss or enemy but in the demo at least it doesn't lead to different endings or whatever.

Hard to know how it'll play out in the full game though,

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lunatic Sledge posted:

adding to this, a lot of the non-berdly alternate route changes are pretty close to the mainline--Noelle still believes it was all a dream, Noelle still becomes more... uh... forward, Kris's friends outside of Noelle don't know what Kris did. Even Susie and Noelle's romance doesn't seem entirely derailed, just taking its own different route (if what I think is implied to go on while Susie's alone in the room with her, and Noelle being FULLY committed to dream theory at that point, is on point). The only huge huge huge plot change is Berdly, who was already known to have two different outcomes (messed up arms vs fine) and there's no telling how much he does/doesn't factor into future chapters. Combined with the episodic chapters, I don't think the added workload is going to be THAT massive. Hell, we don't even know when/how frequently Noelle will return. It might just be minor dialogue tweaks until some major point several chapters down the road.

Kind of doubt Noelle's sticking with dream theory given the thing with her watch.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
About this route and the possibility of future ones..

This one only worked like it did because Noelle is.. basically a pushover. An interesting thing might result when in potential future ones, the characters push back.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Kind of doubt Noelle's sticking with dream theory given the thing with her watch.

yeah it doesn't feel to me like she ever actually believes it, regardless of route

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i was thinking this chapter didn't do a lot to set up who might be the focus character(s) of the next, but noelle's still got a lot of balls in the air. you've got whatever's going on with her mom, her dad not looking good (that chat in the hospital is a lot grimmer in the bad route), and a mysteriously absent sister who Kris also knew

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Supremezero posted:

oh yeah I just mean she seems more committed to it than usual around the time Susie visits her room in the bad route of the Queen's place. She's snapped out of it by the watch in the bad route, but by the end of the good route she doesn't seem especially convinced it's a dream anymore, either. Looking for Susie's tail, like she genuinely expects it to be there, versus asking directly like she's curious or just taking a swing at the chance.

edit: and in both routes it seems like she only believes it's a dream at all because she's telling herself it's a dream, she just has... uh... incentive to cling to that story harder in the freeze route. The watch just removes all doubt.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 19, 2021

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah regardless of which you choose to do the whole 'it was a dream' feels like the characters don't quite believe it themselves but can't really explain what just happened to them. But there's more chapters so they'll likely end up in the Dark World again (or the Dark World starts becoming larger in scope until the whole town is involved)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Computer posted:

yeah it doesn't feel to me like she ever actually believes it, regardless of route

Yeah, there's a lot of hints that she knows it's bullshit and she's going along with deluding herself, possibly as a joke, but then this game swaps between wink wink nudge nudge "we're all in on the joke" stuff, and being completely straight faced "everyone means exactly what they're saying" so much it's a little hard to tell sometimes just what side of the coin any given scene is landing on.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxyclean posted:

How the dark town builds up is impacted by sparing, which could have consequences down the road. Not mercying the Queen causes Berdley to suffer a broken wing, seemingly.

I'm 100% for the game going "wow, you believed that "your choices didn't matter" thing? Jeeze." (or the "your choices don't matter, but the choices of the characters do" thing people are going with now.

I hope that isn't how it plays out.

I hate that binary 'moral choice' stuff, it's so vapid. It was okay in undertale but if toby fox basically makes "just undertale, again" I'm going to die of laughter.

Undertale at least made it into more the idea of being too obsessed with something instead of just "I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat this playthrough!" but I feel like that won't hold up on a second take on the idea.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 19, 2021

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
my big question is where the hell is purecrystal? Is it just a teaser for an item in a future chapter, or is there more game hiding somewhere

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay no wonder Spamton NEO was easier than Jevil. They're way harder when you have to fight them solo and have 1 HP pool to work with, and don't have as much action economy to recover and defend. You can't spare them either, you have to take them down the violent way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Araxxor posted:

Okay no wonder Spamton NEO was easier than Jevil. They're way harder when you have to fight them solo and have 1 HP pool to work with, and don't have as much action economy to recover and defend. You can't spare them either, you have to take them down the violent way.

How much damage can Kris even do alone? Cause that sounds tedious.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The dog blew my mind, i was laughing so hard

That whole sequence was the best reward for the work of getting there. I went from frustration leading to anticipation, to anger to laughing out loud at the payoff. If I ever make a proper game I want to really gently caress with my players on this level.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I hope that isn't how it plays out.

I hate that binary 'moral choice' stuff, it's so vapid. It was okay in undertale but if toby fox basically makes "just undertale, again" I'm going to die of laughter.
It seems silly to think "your choices don't matter" means you still shouldn't care what you do. The game is supposed to have "one ending..." - what I'm expecting is things will all conclude the same...but where certain characters end up, and the consequences of your actions will cause variance. Like if you gently caress up Berdley because you don't Mercy the Queen and he breaks his arm, you don't get "the bad ending" but in the ending, you have a Berdley who has a broken arm and is depressed. Or if you do Ch2 Geno, you get a dead? Berdley and a Noelle who is hardened the world.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I can feel myself losing kromer just looking at this stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

How much damage can Kris even do alone? Cause that sounds tedious.

With the best weapon, 216 damage on a perfect attack, which translates to -4% HP. X-Slash, a new Act command they get in that fight deals 270 damage twice, which translates to -11% HP.