Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ablative posted:

He got punched in the skull several times by a man whose fist probably weighs more than he did, and then the entire structure he was in was vaporised by high-intensity plasma.

He was not alive by the time the Gravemind got its tentacles on him.

fair point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

11 - Uprising

Time for the Arbiter to get a little payback on the traitorous Brutes.

Quoting for new page.

This is one of those levels I never really go back to. Just... so boring.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This might be kind of obvious, but as we are walking through the first forerunner/temple area, there are a few red blood stains on the ground.

Elites, jackals, grunts, they all have purple/blue blood. I tried to keep an eye on the brutes as they were shot, exploded, and run over, but I couldn't see one way or another.

Is it possible this is human blood?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Brute blood is reddish.

On the other hand, they probably got all that human gear from somewhere...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nice of the developers to always leave you two ghosts for if you're playing co-op.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Quoting for new page.

This is one of those levels I never really go back to. Just... so boring.

Yeah, it really kinda is a filler level. I see what they were trying to do, showing the schism of the Covenant from the Elites point of view. But it ends up being a couple lines of dialogue near the beginning and then just a gauntlet of Brutes for the rest of it. It's totally possible to just grab a Ghost as quickly as possible and then boost past everything up until the end of the level.

CzarChasm posted:

This might be kind of obvious, but as we are walking through the first forerunner/temple area, there are a few red blood stains on the ground.

Elites, jackals, grunts, they all have purple/blue blood. I tried to keep an eye on the brutes as they were shot, exploded, and run over, but I couldn't see one way or another.

Is it possible this is human blood?

Ablative posted:

Brute blood is reddish.

On the other hand, they probably got all that human gear from somewhere...

I always figured it was Brute blood. There's no way they took out that many Elites without taking a bunch of casualties themselves, but it seems they cleaned up their dead and left the Elites and Grunts where they fell.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IIRC, the Brutes using the human shotgun in Halo 2 is because Bungie didn't have enough time to give them what would become the rest of their unique weapons seen in Halo 3/ODST, so the human shotgun is a quick and dirty stand-in solution (much like the Brute Plasma Rifle) for what should be the Brute equivalent of a shotgun (the Mauler, if memory serves). Given how Halo 2 is known to have cut content like cut levels, it would not surprise me if that extended to minor details like weaponry.

That said, I will agree that level is very much a filler level. There's just nothing I remember about this level, outside of the armory room with human weapons. You could start with the cutscene of the Arbiter being warped into the area and merge it with him running into Half-jaw's Wraith and not lose anything of value.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

12 - High Charity

This neighborhood has really gone downhill. The Chief needs to find Truth and get out of here!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Ah, Halo 2's Two Betrayals.

They were doing so well with not recycling entire loving levels (but now with Flood!), too.

Actually this is kind of making me realise I hate the back half of basically every Halo game.

Warthog runs are nice and all, but when they have literally nothing else backing them up they just ain't cutting it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Forerunner trilogy does answer why Forerunner AIs don't know the location of the Halos: Graveminds can hack AIs and assimilate them, as the Forerunners discovered when they tried using robotic drones to fight the Flood. The locations of the Halos were kept secret so the main Flood couldn't find and destroy them.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I haven’t read the Forerunner trilogy myself, but I figured it was the Forerunner’s version of the Cole Protocol. Humans take measures to ensure that AIs aren’t captured, the Forerunners took measures to ensure the AIs didn’t have the most important information if they did get captured.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's interesting that they use a kind of documentary-style, 'found footage' style for a lot of the long-distance or outer space shots. Like the imaginary camermaman is thinking "wait, what's that over there" and zooming in.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

bewilderment posted:

It's interesting that they use a kind of documentary-style, 'found footage' style for a lot of the long-distance or outer space shots. Like the imaginary camermaman is thinking "wait, what's that over there" and zooming in.

This was all the rage after BSG and the Firefly film. It was just "how space scenes are done" for several years there.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

When you showed the original graphics i think i liked them more, far more moody and atmospheric than 'it looks like a a ship but the corridors are wider'.

Also, is it cool if i post a link to the terminals, i never realized they were animated and I never watched any of them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love the Gravemind hacking the PA system. Like, dude, who the gently caress you even talking to?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Love the Gravemind hacking the PA system. Like, dude, who the gently caress you even talking to?

Would have been neat to hear a war of words between Truth and Gravemind, trying to pacify/terrify whatever the populace on High Charity is. As it is I almost imagine that Truth is just a recording and Gravemind is just too annoyed hearing it not to respond.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

11 - Uprising

Time for the Arbiter to get a little payback on the traitorous Brutes.

I guess this is another level who's context got cut, seems like the "councilors" could be a kind of internal Elite leadership. Bet you were supposed to meet them earlier in the game too.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Would have been neat to hear a war of words between Truth and Gravemind, trying to pacify/terrify whatever the populace on High Charity is. As it is I almost imagine that Truth is just a recording and Gravemind is just too annoyed hearing it not to respond.

I guess this is another level who's context got cut, seems like the "councilors" could be a kind of internal Elite leadership. Bet you were supposed to meet them earlier in the game too.

The councilors are white-armored Elites with big helmets from way back during the opening cutscene where the not-yet-Arbiter was reporting.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kibayasu posted:

We saw them in the intro, discussing amongst themselves during the Arbiter's trial/formal ostracism ceremony. At a guess, there might have been a plan to have the Arbiter try to protect them as his people's legitimate leaders.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am glad you guys are having fun with the game, and I am enjoying the LP, I just... I can really see that FPS's really have evolved beyond Halo.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pretty sure he's just taking jabs at truth.

"I have mercy right here"
"Man that guy was delicious"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Samovar posted:

I am glad you guys are having fun with the game, and I am enjoying the LP, I just... I can really see that FPS's really have evolved beyond Halo.

As much as I enjoyed the campaigns of Halo 1 & 2, its the multiplayer that made Halo was it is (was?).

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Ah, Halo 2's Two Betrayals.

They were doing so well with not recycling entire loving levels (but now with Flood!), too.

Yeah, but this is the first time it's happened this game, and I think it's actually quite well done. Especially visiting places we've seen in cutscenes, but now all destroyed and/or corrupted. Really drives home how the Covenant is falling apart.

Cythereal posted:

The Forerunner trilogy does answer why Forerunner AIs don't know the location of the Halos: Graveminds can hack AIs and assimilate them, as the Forerunners discovered when they tried using robotic drones to fight the Flood. The locations of the Halos were kept secret so the main Flood couldn't find and destroy them.

smax posted:

I haven’t read the Forerunner trilogy myself, but I figured it was the Forerunner’s version of the Cole Protocol. Humans take measures to ensure that AIs aren’t captured, the Forerunners took measures to ensure the AIs didn’t have the most important information if they did get captured.

Ok yeah, this makes sense. Also kinda explains why each Halo has its own independent monitor.

Samovar posted:

Oh for sure. I mean, these games are 20 years old. Actually 2004 was a hell of a year for video games. Halo 2, Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Fable, GTA: San Andreas, WoW. Big names, but definitely showing their age compared to newer stuff.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

13 - The Great Journey

The Arbiter has to stop Tartarus from activating Halo, and he'll take all the help he can get.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
And there's the big cliffhanger ending that drove the internet nuts for a while. There was both excitement and anger over that - I remember a lot of sneering that Microsoft was "obviously" planning to sell the "proper ending" as an expansion pack over XBox Live.

We now know it was heavily cut. Material leaked has shown an entire third act was originally planned (I think the figure of nine cut levels was cited in an interview somewhere). We already know about the cut level on the Covenant carrier that now blows up in a cutscene. A mission on the burning ruins of the original Halo was apparently cut, as part of a road trip racing across the galaxy to get back to Earth. Supposedly there would have been a big final defence of Earth with the Arbiter and Master Chief "kicking rear end". At a guess, the entire first act of Halo 3 was intended to be in 2.

Will you be covering the ARG at all, Frenzy? The Halo 2 pre-release ARG wasn't really that important, but Halo 3's one was tied quite heavily into the game's plot arc.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

My strategy in that last room was always to just active camo and blitz past the brutes before the doors close. Probably doesn't work on Legendary since your camo meter is like half the length.

Also, something I learned the hard way: if you're using the Scarab Gun skull, you can't actually hurt Tartarus with it. Which is annoying, because melee does gently caress-all damage to him. And his hammer knocks the other Elites' swords into the pit a lot.

Ablative fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 25, 2021

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Man i was so disappointed in that ending when i first played it. I was fully expecting Master Chief to get his own boss battle on the ark, thought maybe I had to unlock it on legendary. Looking forward you your Halo 3 plays now.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
All Legendary Halo 2 unlocks is your budding masochism.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Loxbourne posted:

And there's the big cliffhanger ending that drove the internet nuts for a while. There was both excitement and anger over that - I remember a lot of sneering that Microsoft was "obviously" planning to sell the "proper ending" as an expansion pack over XBox Live.

We now know it was heavily cut. Material leaked has shown an entire third act was originally planned (I think the figure of nine cut levels was cited in an interview somewhere). We already know about the cut level on the Covenant carrier that now blows up in a cutscene. A mission on the burning ruins of the original Halo was apparently cut, as part of a road trip racing across the galaxy to get back to Earth. Supposedly there would have been a big final defence of Earth with the Arbiter and Master Chief "kicking rear end". At a guess, the entire first act of Halo 3 was intended to be in 2.

Will you be covering the ARG at all, Frenzy? The Halo 2 pre-release ARG wasn't really that important, but Halo 3's one was tied quite heavily into the game's plot arc.

Halo 2 was supposed to have its own Warthog Run too, but that obviously didn't happen.

As far as the Iris ARG goes, I wasn't really planning on covering it at all, same as I Love Bees. I actually participated in this one though and got a reward of a Halo 3 toque and sweatband, which I still have kicking around somewhere. If you guys want to talk about it, or know of a good video that covers the whole thing, post away.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, is it cool if i post a link to the terminals, i never realized they were animated and I never watched any of them.

Meant to respond to this too. I think it's fine to post about the terminals now. I may cover them in a video after Halo 3, but it's pretty low on the list of priorities.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Do the Brutes wearing the armor of the prophet’s guards have shields?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

White Coke posted:

Do the Brutes wearing the armor of the prophet’s guards have shields?

Nope! I think they just have more health.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I honestly struggle to call this a cliff hanger. They all but tell you that earth is the super special place where all the rings can be fired now but... everyone was already going there? They've primed you to go and do this big fight, but the only real tension at this point is that the flood have cortana(And thus have the power to join the fight on earth) and could do all kinds of weird poo poo with that. It feels more like a roller coaster breaking down at the top of the lift hill, instead of dangling off a cliff you're just sitting there going "that's it? We're stopping here?"

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Remember to purchase an all new Xbox 360 to complete the Halo Saga (TM)!
-Microsoft

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I forget, why is Truth going to Earth? Does he know that the ARC is there and that it will fire off the rings? Does he still have a spark with him, or was the one in covenant possession the one that went with Tartarus? Or is he just leading the armada there to kill the poo poo out of humans?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I forget, why is Truth going to Earth? Does he know that the ARC is there and that it will fire off the rings? Does he still have a spark with him, or was the one in covenant possession the one that went with Tartarus? Or is he just leading the armada there to kill the poo poo out of humans?

going off of vague memories:

- the covenant already knows that earth is Very Important, which is why Regret went there in the first place (jumping the gun for personal glory)
- Truth now has extra info from 343 (since Tartarus has been holding him for a while)
- some symbolism about getting to the Ark to survive the Flood idk

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

FoolyCharged posted:

I honestly struggle to call this a cliff hanger. They all but tell you that earth is the super special place where all the rings can be fired now but... everyone was already going there? They've primed you to go and do this big fight, but the only real tension at this point is that the flood have cortana(And thus have the power to join the fight on earth) and could do all kinds of weird poo poo with that. It feels more like a roller coaster breaking down at the top of the lift hill, instead of dangling off a cliff you're just sitting there going "that's it? We're stopping here?"

Yeah this is fair. Like, Back to the Future 2 ends on a cliffhanger. Halo 2 really just feels like it ended early.

CzarChasm posted:

Guilty Spark was with Tartarus and is now with The Arbiter/Johnson and Keyes. The rest of it is basically what I was talking about during the credits. The first level of the game is the Covenant attacking Earth for a reason other than killing humans, and by the end we still don't know why. We can assume it has something to do with the Ark, but it's still a pretty big question mark.

biosterous posted:

some symbolism about getting to the Ark to survive the Flood idk

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, the ending to Halo 2 really felt like a giant wet fart of an ending and I still remember returning it, quite pissed off, to my local videogame dealer and she told me that I was the tenth to return the game after the weekend.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

That kind of makes it sound like the First Strike novel was meant to be the first act of Halo 2, but then got shunted off to the Halo EU as a result of the reworking of the game. I could even see the pit stop on Reach from the novel being the place where Master Chief upgrades to the new Mjolnir armor instead of on Cairo Station (with Dr. Halsey being the one to explain how the new armor works, for instance).

I do enjoy looking back on this game because, now that I'm older, I do see the gaps in the story more clearly that were meant to be filled in with other content as opposed to going "Okay, the next level will explain things clearly" over and over again like I did back in the day. Halo 2 has its moments, but it definitely has a lot of weak connective tissue that falls apart if you pause and look around at things, such as the Covenant civil war just crashing into the final act out of nowhere with almost no build-up outside of a few background moments in cutscenes. A sophomore slump is a perfect summary of the game: a underwhelming single-player campaign, higher difficulties being immensely merciless and unforgiving compared to the first game, all bolstered by the growing multiplayer side of the game that effectively saves Halo 2 from being a flop.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, the ending to Halo 2 really felt like a giant wet fart of an ending and I still remember returning it, quite pissed off, to my local videogame dealer and she told me that I was the tenth to return the game after the weekend.

Man, I could not imagine giving up on the Halo 2 multiplayer just because the campaign is disappointing - and I suck at multiplayer

I would agree that out of the Halo games I played, 2 is the weakest story wise, but the gameplay is such an improvement over 1.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Bonus Content

To finish off Halo 2, here's some extra stuff that I didn't get the chance to show off yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I'm so excited for Halo 3, did it get some polish too?