Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
drat, Chapter 2 just ate up like twelve hours of my life at this point. Extremely good stuff. Have a big of theory on Ralsei specifically, but am still organizing my thoughts on the matter.

Also agree that the Genocide route is somehow even more depressing that the one in Undertale because it has this element of personal betrayal baked into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Zamujasa posted:

What is it? The text description says PureCrystal - The shadow purified by the cat but I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

Combined with the ThornRing, it's one half of the TwistedSwd you can fuse at the bakery

that description's doing things for me though

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Also, I'm assuming "Dess" is Noelle's older sister, December? Was there any more implication as to what happened with those two that I missed, or is it just left super ambiguous for now?
Well, from what I understand December found the LOVE we shared in September.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm just spoiling this because you spoiled yours but Mike is also the name of the kid who gets sucked into the TV in Willy Wonka's factory

I'm sure it's a coincidence, unless it isn't

I had to edit this like five times because I have never read a book before

Also the name of a side character in Reboot!

Who is a TV, and also spouts commercial phrases non-stop.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jen X posted:

comparing chapter 2 of a 7 (possibly more???) chapter game in deltarune to a completed game in undertale feels like an unfair comparison

I haven't touched my game since I completed it. Six years of a happy universe existing in my cloud save.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just finished my chapter 1 replay with jevil this time

He's a really fun boss! I fought him for the weapon because i like having an excuse to actually use the damage dealing mechanics in this game. Took like five tries, i think.

Speaking if damage, this also made me realize a mechanic the game never (explicitly) points out. Most (all?) normal enemies will become tired when their hp falls below like 30%. In other words, attack power and the fight command aren't useless even if you want to do a full recruit run, and you can even take advantage of susie in the part in chapter 1 where she auto-attacks everything instead of wasting a turn warning every encounter. I actually like this a lot and i wish the game called some attention to it because otherwise most players will just never touch that fight button due to conditioning from undertale, I'm pretty sure

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

He's a really fun boss! I fought him for the weapon because i like having an excuse to actually use the damage dealing mechanics in this game. Took like five tries, i think.

Speaking if damage, this also made me realize a mechanic the game never (explicitly) points out. Most (all?) normal enemies will become tired when their hp falls below like 30%. In other words, attack power and the fight command aren't useless even if you want to do a full recruit run, and you can even take advantage of susie in the part in chapter 1 where she auto-attacks everything instead of wasting a turn warning every encounter. I actually like this a lot and i wish the game called some attention to it because otherwise most players will just never touch that fight button due to conditioning from undertale, I'm pretty sure

Oddly enough, this was a mechanic in the undertale demo that was cut for the full release, where hurting an enemy to 30% or so let you spare them. This, of course, lead to an impressively horrible bait-and-switch with the toriel boss fight, where attempting to do that.. did not end well.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Zamujasa posted:

What is it? The text description says PureCrystal - The shadow purified by the cat but I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

That basically confirms that it's the reward for beating every Shadow Crystal boss. Which makes sense, since the Twisted Sword is directly connected to the Genocide route by way of requiring the Thorn Ring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

they actually still talk about you being able to do that in the ruins in the final game lol

pretty sure it's exactly only there to get you to kill toriel. i sure fell for it!

but yeah nice that the idea got reprised as a proper mechanic

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

NewMars posted:

Oddly enough, this was a mechanic in the undertale demo that was cut for the full release, where hurting an enemy to 30% or so let you spare them. This, of course, lead to an impressively horrible bait-and-switch with the toriel boss fight, where attempting to do that.. did not end well.

im pretty sure thats still in undertale, what was removed was you getting exp for mercying damaged enemies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Amppelix posted:

Oh that's actually really neat! Adds another layer to sparing enemies. I kind of noticed the tired aspect in my jackass run, but I forgot about it until you mentioned it.

Also wow I really wish I knew that for chapter 1 replays cause yeah that would have sped up certain fights instead of having to slam the warn button on every encounter.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm about 99% sure that they mention the enemies becoming tired if you beat on them a bit at some point in Chapter 1.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think the most fascinating, tiny piece of information we learned from this though is That Ralsei very very intentionally sends us away in those specific scenes and is surprised when we don't leave the one time. We, the players controlling the soul, are 100% a third party and Kriss and Ralsei are in cahoots on SOMETHING. And play dumb when we are looking. Like there was always an implication. But a hard confirm feels good.
Also, lol

What are the scenes people talk about when they mention astral projection or Ralsei sending us away, that change in the Pipis route? I don't remember that from my playthrough at all. Is there a timestamped video somebody has?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NotNut posted:

What are the scenes people talk about when they mention astral projection or Ralsei sending us away, that change in the Pipis route? I don't remember that from my playthrough at all. Is there a timestamped video somebody has?

in the first chapter it was when you're in jail, Ralsei asks you to "imagine what Susie is doing" and then you control Susie instead of Kris. Same thing happens in chapter 2.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

NotNut posted:

In the normal route, when Susie visits Noelle's room, there's a short period where you're following her instead of Kris. In the genocide route, Ralsei tries to get you to do this, but it doesn't take.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm about 99% sure that they mention the enemies becoming tired if you beat on them a bit at some point in Chapter 1.
well i just played it and i didn't see that anywhere! and i didn't skip dialogue either!

at least if they do it's not obvious

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also can we stop trying to call it "genocide" when that clearly is not what you're doing or what the point of the route is

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Amppelix posted:

also can we stop trying to call it "genocide" when that clearly is not what you're doing or what the point of the route is

I think for general purpose use it's fine because it doesn't spoil as much as, say "Manipulation Route" would to someone trying to avoid spoilers and seeing it casually thrown about, but I get ya.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
we should call it the Anti-Krist route, clearly

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Also, I'm assuming "Dess" is Noelle's older sister, December? Was there any more implication as to what happened with those two that I missed, or is it just left super ambiguous for now?

Right now it’s just “she’s not around anymore”, but there’s no additional information that suggests she’s somewhere else now, as in she’s moved away from Hometown or is off at university like Asriel is, so the implication appears to be that she’s dead. How and when she died are, of course, still unknown factors. Certain things seem to be pointing to her freezing to death in a blizzard, which makes the way Noelle murders Berdly in the Genocide route even MORE hosed up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe Snowgrave?

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

nine-gear crow posted:

Right now it’s just “she’s not around anymore”, but there’s no additional information that suggests she’s somewhere else now, as in she’s moved away from Hometown or is off at university like Asriel is, so the implication appears to be that she’s dead. How and when she died are, of course, still unknown factors. Certain things seem to be pointing to her freezing to death in a blizzard, which makes the way Noelle murders Berdly in the Genocide route even MORE hosed up.

I was thinking something like that and yeah that is /some poo poo/. Would also explain Mayor Holiday's implied "chilly" attitude and her noted obsession with keeping her office freezing cold. Something like keeping herself in that same discomfort to remind her how her daughter died. Big yike.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
For the record, the alternate route appears to be referred to as "sideb" (i.e. Side B) in the code, which is a surprisingly elegant way of describing it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

where's this implied? I can't remember anything like that in either chapter, only the implication that she died and it was tragic

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zamujasa posted:

For the record, the alternate route appears to be referred to as "sideb" (i.e. Side B) in the code, which is a surprisingly elegant way of describing it

Yeah that makes sense. Especially if later chapters have alternate routes that goes in a different direction than chapter 2's B side.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your Computer posted:

where's this implied? I can't remember anything like that in either chapter, only the implication that she died and it was tragic

She is one of the 7 or more kids asgore killed, which coincidentally is the number of dead kids necessary for toriel to divorce someone AND - in this utopian society - the exact number of dead kids that gets a cop fired

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Flesnolk posted:

Maybe Snowgrave?

I've been going with this, Snowgrave Route is both evocative to those that know what it entails and totally opaque to folks that don't

it doesn't really tell you anything unless you already know, but I still spoiler tagged it because I am a coward

edit: I also like Side B but I don't know if it'll bring in the Youtube clicks

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Your Computer posted:

It's pretty vague, but Noelle talks a lot about memories of Dess specifically in the winter, and being outside. Her calendar is also filled with nothing but Decembers with the 25th circled, implying that Christmas was an important date to her in some fashion (though December could just be referencing her name). Her ice attacks and their correlation with death are the biggest indicators though. Again, huge leaps of speculation, but the relevance of ice, winter, and her sister's absence seem to go hand-in-hand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Computer posted:

A bunch of scattered snow and freezing images and allusions scattered throughout the game, and if you go into Sans’s grocery store after completing the chapter, one of the customers talks about how Noelle often comes in and just stares blankly at the frozen food section like she’s in some kind of trance. Like she either goes there as some sort of memorial ritual, or the sight of things freezing or being frozen triggers her into a catatonic state. Like how she completely shuts down and literally walks out of the battle screen after Berdly freezes to death.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

She is one of the 7 or more kids asgore killed, which coincidentally is the number of dead kids necessary for toriel to divorce someone AND - in this utopian society - the exact number of dead kids that gets a cop fired

okay what

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Also while I'm digging through bullshit I'm sorry to report that it is spr_berdly_desk_sleep, not _desk_dead. :v:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

A bunch of scattered snow and freezing images and allusions scattered throughout the game, and if you go into Sans’s grocery store after completing the chapter, one of the customers talks about how Noelle often comes in and just stares blankly at the frozen food section like she’s in some kind of trance. Like she either goes there as some sort of memorial ritual, or the sight of things freezing or being frozen triggers her into a catatonic state. Like how she completely shuts down and literally walks out of the battle screen after Berdly freezes to death.

To add to this, the Freeze Ring's description mentions that it's a snowglobe with somebody inside it. Alongside Noelle's strangely worded insistence that she doesn't know SnowGrave, it seems pretty likely.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Zamujasa posted:

Also while I'm digging through bullshit I'm sorry to report that it is spr_berdly_desk_sleep, not _desk_dead. :v:

NOW'S YOUR CHANCE TO TAKE A [BIG SLEEP]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

The same sprite is used for when Noelle and Berdly are found asleep after the end of the Pacifist route as well, so that’s not indicative of anything.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Zamujasa posted:

now tell them about the 1997 character sprite

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
It might just be the mild fever i have but Kris possibly being literally found in a trash can as a baby by the Dreemur family is especially heartwrenching :smith:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, just found out about the snowgrave route. Toby Fox isn't messing around, is he?

Seriously though, I love how this is exactly like something you would read in a creepypasta. It's the kind of thing someone would make up to create a scary story about a cute game, except it's real.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

What is death if not a really long sleep? Socrates said that, or something.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, just found out about the snowgrave route. Toby Fox isn't messing around, is he?

Seriously though, I love how this is exactly like something you would read in a creepypasta. It's the kind of thing someone would make up to create a scary story about a cute game, except it's real.

for real I love that it checks so many boxes
- IT'S A BIT MUCH
- involves an item not mentioned anywhere else in the game
- involves an item alluded to but otherwise unacquirable, and what it actually does also sounds a bit much
- very precise series of steps, some of which may seem obtuse
- hardest fight in the game? well it turns out there's an even HARDERER fight

very strong Triforce/Running Man/Light Temple/Weird poo poo in Hyrule Castle Town/"removed content" rumor vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i will say, the snow imagery and christmas circled on the calendar and all that is kinda on the nose for a family of red-nosed reindeer (noelle's father literally being named rudolph) isn't it? it's very clearly a gag, but of course it wouldn't be the first time toby fox does a gag that is also something depressing