Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yo if any of the sites computer janitors read this thread i would pay ten bux to be able to ban anyone who subjects me to a d&d post in this thread specifically. i got all the terminal liberalism i need on facebook. ten bux per post, plus potential re-regs. think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
we'll be fine

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

I'm not so sure anymore

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lol

lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
have paint that gets really easily diffused by surface tension in the ocean and turn the whole thing reflective.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Homeless Friend posted:

have paint that gets really easily diffused by surface tension in the ocean and turn the whole thing reflective.

Chrome some baby number 1! Love da Mets.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
one of the biggest crack ping moments i ever had in my entire life was discovering that the abrahamic genesis flood myth likely refers to the slow and painful sea level rise that occurred at the end of the ice age. even the sumerians had their own variant. it's one of those ancient myths that could be shared across multiple societies across the world independently of one another.

the slow disappearing of land, forcing human populations to relocate and likely come into conflict with one another. also RIP all the megafauna, we probably sent them into extinction. probably one of the reasons why we had to go with horticulture and then agriculture in the end. i want to read against the grain too, that seems like a cool look at early statecraft

https://noc.ac.uk/news/global-sea-level-rise-end-last-ice-age

it was also the moment i realized that sea levels will continue to rise, unabated, no matter what we do today or tomorrow. they will continue to rise for thousands of years, just like 6000 years ago to 18000 years ago.

there is genuinely nothing you can do but enjoy your life

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Really enjoying how the Biden defenders are claiming that thinking climate change is unstoppable is fossil fuel propaganda and that we are plants acting in the defense of corporations to stop them from planting trees or whatever.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hubbert posted:

one of the biggest crack ping moments i ever had in my entire life was discovering that the abrahamic genesis flood myth likely refers to the slow and painful sea level rise that occurred at the end of the ice age. even the sumerians had their own variant. it's one of those ancient myths that could be shared across multiple societies across the world independently of one another.

the slow disappearing of land, forcing human populations to relocate and likely come into conflict with one another. also RIP all the megafauna, we probably sent them into extinction. probably one of the reasons why we had to go with horticulture and then agriculture in the end. i want to read against the grain too, that seems like a cool look at early statecraft

https://noc.ac.uk/news/global-sea-level-rise-end-last-ice-age

it was also the moment i realized that sea levels will continue to rise, unabated, no matter what we do today or tomorrow. they will continue to rise for thousands of years, just like 6000 years ago to 18000 years ago.

there is genuinely nothing you can do but enjoy your life

Read The Water Will Come, it's about this exact issue and it's good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hubbert posted:

It sounds silly, but I actually legit didn't connect megafauna dying out to the rise of agriculture, until this moment. No wonder Monster Hunter tickles a primal instinct in us the same way Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress/etc does.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Really enjoying how the Biden defenders are claiming that thinking climate change is unstoppable is fossil fuel propaganda and that we are plants acting in the defense of corporations to stop them from planting trees or whatever.

lmao i saw that. It was funny to see 1 lone person try to explain that no - its just the fact that incremental change will not safe us - and everyone ignoring that person as D&D always does.

Like - no I dont think everyone is going to die. But I do think that those idiots obsession to clinging onto magical technology fixing things is irresponsible and hope for something that cannot and will not be is just gross and unhealthy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

silicone thrills posted:

I dont think everyone is going to die.

yet

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TRUE. But like before 2100? eh.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

the trump administration wouldn't have waited for a court to tell them to auction off that oil land, they'd have just done it

when you think about it biden's a hero for delaying it as long as he did with that masterful court action loophole job

in the coming years there will be tons less CO2 in the atmosphere at any given point than if biden wasn't in office

this is a triumph for environmentalism

auction that land with pride biden

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

lmao

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
just listened to the video in the OP. it's like part Michael Ruppert, part Dan Carlin. pretty good. i might share it with someone irl and see if it melts their brain.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

just listened to the video in the OP. it's like part Michael Ruppert, part Dan Carlin. pretty good. i might share it with someone irl and see if it melts their brain.

Anyone willing to watch a 2 1/2 hour about how hosed we are is probably already blackpilled

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
was there actual video? i just had it playing and listened to it over a couple sessions.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
There was a visual component but nothing really important

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
two and a half hours of just audio is an easier sell than audio and video. i think they might give it a listen, even if just to say that they tuned out 5 min in or something.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i've moved beyond reading reports and videos about what will happen, now i only watch the actual destruction

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

CODChimera posted:

i've moved beyond reading reports and videos about what will happen, now i only watch the actual destruction

reading reports and videos about what will happen is still good actually, because it makes it even funnier when they inevitably end up being gross underestimations and the experts who prepared them react with surprise and horror

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Is there a timestamp for when that video stops being the exact same sentence said over and over in slightly different ways trying to convince the listener to stop having any hope and listen to their argument really you should listen to what they have to say its very important no I swear you gotta listen to it? I got 15 minutes in and threw in the towel. If you're going to ask me to listen to two and a half hours of something, you should really try to get to the loving point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol why is my edit CommieGIR's avatar now

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Homeless Friend posted:

i think a better plan is to dump enough styrofoam in the ocean that the entire surface becomes white and stops absorbing sunlight
we're already like halfway there

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this isn't foreboding at all
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1439227794563686404

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

lol but also Adam Ruined it first

But also weirdly neither this article nor Adam Conover mentioned part of the origin of pushing hydration is because school coaches were pushing athletes to dangerous dehydration because stopping to drink water makes you a pussy. And the only way to counteract that culture was to talk about how water is vital to PEAK PERFORMANCE, instead of, you know, maybe kids shouldn’t be passing out during practice

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

About time immortan joe got an op-ed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Do not become addicted to water.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

That's some good poo poo

Although it seems like 'acceptance' in today's society also means 'and make sure you spread the word'

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

"You don't need as much water" aside imagine writing an article for a major publication just to say stuff like body size and exertion makes a difference and there's water in soup actually.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Look at me, I'm a columnist "Drink water when you are thirsty."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
also I thought I saw something at 3:07

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That article is dumb as poo poo. "drink when you're thirsty" "any beverage will help" lmao, unbelievable :monocle:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I stay hydrated with a steady stream of vodka and coffee, the proper way to quench ur thirst

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

This is my favorite:

I think you are supposed to scoff at and disagree with this.

Heh, so you think the fact that our press are all giant profit-seeking corporations has an impact on the news? Conspiracy theory much? :smug:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Hubbert posted:

i want to read against the grain too, that seems like a cool look at early statecraft

against the grain is a great book and just a total rip to read through, i finished it in like 3 hours of totalizing disassociation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Caseman posted:

Is there a timestamp for when that video stops being the exact same sentence said over and over in slightly different ways trying to convince the listener to stop having any hope and listen to their argument really you should listen to what they have to say its very important no I swear you gotta listen to it? I got 15 minutes in and threw in the towel. If you're going to ask me to listen to two and a half hours of something, you should really try to get to the loving point.

i made it to 15m on the first try and 25m on the second

edit: lol the skeletons thing is good

edit2: the point at the 38/39 min mark is just wrong though. emissions are not binary, they're scalar. mitigation does matter.

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Sep 19, 2021