Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played the beaver game again and I realized a large part of what I was doing wrong.

Of course beavers can loving swim. No I don't need to wait for the dry season then walk down into the dry ravines to build dams and levees. :doh:

This makes it ten times easier to experiment with designs and then actually build them instead of trying to build out these elaborate path systems to walk to all the places needed. I had been doing things like building networks of platforms around all of my water construction

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

i must learn to think like a beaver so that i may beav like a thinker

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

To be fair, in the beta they couldn't swim for several updates until it was pointed out by the community/the devs worked out code for it.

Really wish there was a random map generator. Or the game had steam workshop support so people could share any maps they make. That being said I might take a break for this and wait for a few updates...or I might go cray on this. Either-or.

While the Iron Teeth gimmicks are nice, yeah I think I'll stick with Folktails (and any future factions) that breed normally/to their living space. Which is a shame: gonna miss that stackable wood storage.

I am curious what ideas they have for factions. Maybe one with a "solar" generator that works better on barren tiles (or needs to be near/connected to collectors)?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Iron Teeth need like, a big UI button to toggle all the clone vats.
Or maybe a "target population number" setting for them.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I think this is the longest the thread has been engaged with a new release since DSP

I'm gonna end up playing Beaver Town aren't I ?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grevlek posted:

I think this is the longest the thread has been engaged with a new release since DSP

I'm gonna end up playing Beaver Town aren't I ?

The real question isn't if you'll play it.

The question is: will your beavers gently caress or build log-punk cloning vats?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO it's not a powerhouse like DSP, as others have pointed out the content is rather thin right now.

what is there is very good though, so hopefully they can capitalize on the hype sales and push out more content like ONI managed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's a very good game though even in its current state especially if you are a "make your own fun" type of person - for example i like to try and flood/settle the entire map long after my colony is self sufficient

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

To be fair, that sounds similar to noises they make in game. "HrRRMMahuRmmm!! :kimchi:"

Also, I haven't yet fully internalized the fact that the default map is actually a set of extremely large shallow lakes, and that the level you start on should be either one or two levels below your ideal beaver height.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The windmill on the right is powering the shredder (with half of its demand), but how come this windmill, which is connected to the same power shaft via a T Junction, is showing that there is 0 network demand for its power and not considering itself part of the same power "network" as the first windmill?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 19, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It looks like you're trying to connect the axle one Z-level higher than the actual connection point? So the left windmill isn't actually on your network.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because you appear to have connected it using a segment intended to transfer the power up one level, you connect it at the same level as it is built on.

Also just for reference, power transfers through buildings, so you can just connect both of them to the shredder and it will work fine.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

deep dish peat moss posted:

The windmill on the right is powering the shredder (with half of its demand), but how come this windmill, which is connected to the same power shaft via a T Junction, is showing that there is 0 network demand for its power and not considering itself part of the same power "network" as the first windmill?

It looks like the Windmill on the left is connected to a height transfer shaft, needs a straight shaft section into the corner to work with your current setup at ground level.

efb, twice

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ah yep that was it, thanks!

The misplaced height transfer shaft was spinning like it was working so I never knew anything was wrong

OwlFancier posted:

Also just for reference, power transfers through buildings, so you can just connect both of them to the shredder and it will work fine.

Windmills can't be placed too close to each other, you can't have two windmills both adjacent to the building :( A tall building like the shredder can't be placed adjacent to windmills at all (unless the windmills are elevated) because it would block their blades

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, that sounds similar to noises they make in game. "HrRRMMahuRmmm!! :kimchi:"

Also, I haven't yet fully internalized the fact that the default map is actually a set of extremely large shallow lakes, and that the level you start on should be either one or two levels below your ideal beaver height.

Could you say this again in different words? For some reason I can't understand it, and it sounds really useful. (Just spent the morning moving boxes.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Windmills can't be placed too close to each other, you can't have two windmills both adjacent to the building :( A tall building like the shredder can't be placed adjacent to windmills at all (unless the windmills are elevated) because it would block their blades

No but you can just plug the left windmill direct to the left wall of the shredder, rather than going round the back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New management game ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpwJJ4nqFks

"Captain of Industry" never heard of it before now and haven't watched the vid yet but it is billed as "like factorio but also a colony management game"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

On the default map, where do you folks usually seed your second district? Up and to the left?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Beaver question: once you need two farms to handle all the crops nearby, is it better to have both on harvest priority or one on planting? The planter still harvests when there are no new spots to replant so it gives you new crops a lot faster?

Crops and trees definitely seem to soak up more water than just empty ground. I noticed the water level at the dam for my second district dropping a lot more after I got a bunch of fields and plantations up with a small population who couldn't possibly drink enough to lower it by that much.

Is there a way to get rid of the minor flooding when having multiple dams in a row? When the drought is over it seem to take a while for the water to stabilize and it always overflows some a few times. It returns fairly quickly but it means building up levees along the edges to have the drat one level above the ground is a guaranteed disaster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poil posted:

Beaver question: once you need two farms to handle all the crops nearby, is it better to have both on harvest priority or one on planting? The planter still harvests when there are no new spots to replant so it gives you new crops a lot faster?

Crops and trees definitely seem to soak up more water than just empty ground. I noticed the water level at the dam for my second district dropping a lot more after I got a bunch of fields and plantations up with a small population who couldn't possibly drink enough to lower it by that much.

Is there a way to get rid of the minor flooding when having multiple dams in a row? When the drought is over it seem to take a while for the water to stabilize and it always overflows some a few times. It returns fairly quickly but it means building up levees along the edges to have the drat one level above the ground is a guaranteed disaster.

I would actually suggest setting your first farm to prioritize planting, because the issue with harvest first is that it is entirely possible for them to spend all their time harvesting the fields and not planting anything, and then you have a big downtime before the new plantings they then start doing, will come to fruition.

Plant first will give you a much more consistent income of food, you can set subsequent ones however you want, but plant first will help you to overcome production crashes that can otherwise happen if you have too much farmland zoned.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Poil posted:

On the first: I like to have one of each, it smooths out the workload of the farms after a few cycles and doesn't put a day or two wait on replanting while they harvest an entire huge field. Thats time new plants could be growing!

Second: Interesting, I haven't observed it myself but haven't really tried to 'control' for it to see.

Third: I don't think so? I've never had this be so bad that it did anything but flood a building for a small fraction of a day. I notice that the effect is definitely much worse if you have anything that's not right on the 'river' - for example on plains, that small pool you can clear debris to fill. That always floods, because inevitably the flow in and out of that one spot kind of clashes weirdly. You can solve this sort of problem somewhat by adding a dam - it should prevent some of the sloshing effect, but then it'll still start again once it crests the dam.

Also the only academic class I've ever failed in my life is Fluid Mechanics/Dynamics, so you know, grain of salt.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I usually build three farm houses, set one to plant and two to harvest. That seems to balance out well, keeps the fields sown without also letting crops sit unharvested.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could you say this again in different words? For some reason I can't understand it, and it sounds really useful. (Just spent the morning moving boxes.)

Look at the terrain while zoomed out. The big lake downstream of your starting area fills up naturally. You could ALSO dam it up to fill another Z level and capture even more water. Similarly, look at the land around the map, and think of how a river might flow in it, and where you could dam it up. South of your starting position, there's an area that looks like it has two minor flows around an island one z level higher, even though both are high and dry. But, if you could start draining from the highest z level where the water comes out, by making a small channel, think of all the land that would irrigate and all of the water you could store...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Unrelated

Z levels are love, Z levels are life. Damming up a 4 z level channel is good. Damming up 4 z levels around the wellspring is best.

"Oh no, it's the dry season, my water supply is.... ever so slowly disappearing because these waters are deep AF!"

Next step involves damming even further downstream in a new district, which will have two (!) channel directions from which that splits off! Alternately, dynamiting a small channel out to that downward sloping dry riverbed at the very bottom of the picture, with a dam to capture the water further down, and make the rest of that area nicely fertile.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Poil posted:

Are you using dams or floodgates? I don't think I've ever seen it do this with floodgates as long as they are appropriately open, but flooding isn't a big deal anyway.

Poil posted:

I don't think this is actually the case based on my own experience closely monitoring water loss with the measuring stick things. For the small river segments in the screenshots I posted earlier each one took almost exactly 20 days to fully evaporate both before and after there were tons of plants around them. Pumps drain water extremely fast. Even with a massive basin 100 beavers could take a tile of depth off in just a few days.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Unrelated

Z levels are love, Z levels are life. Damming up a 4 z level channel is good. Damming up 4 z levels around the wellspring is best.

"Oh no, it's the dry season, my water supply is.... ever so slowly disappearing because these waters are deep AF!"

Next step involves damming even further downstream in a new district, which will have two (!) channel directions from which that splits off! Alternately, dynamiting a small channel out to that downward sloping dry riverbed at the very bottom of the picture, with a dam to capture the water further down, and make the rest of that area nicely fertile.

This is my favorite map because its so fun to play with the rivers. I just restarted on it because I got tired of managing Ironteeth's birthrate, but I had a really good save on it.

If you're creative and don't mind spending some hundreds on levees (and having a big wall of an aqueduct), you can dig a channel out behind the sources to the waterfall and other riverhead in the top left of your picture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A small suggestion I would make for storage management: Turn off food storage in your storehouses. All food producing and processing buildings can store a good chunk of food items in them, farmhouses can store 50 of each raw foodstuff, grills and bakeries can store over 100 of the end products each.

If you want to build up a food stockpile I would suggest either dedicated warehouses for each type of food, or just building more food production buildings because they store food anyway. Another option would be to store things like flour and potatoes rather than grilled/bread, because they convert at 1>4-5 in the final processing step.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On the default map, where do you folks usually seed your second district? Up and to the left?

This doesn’t answer your question, but you can just barely reach that scrap pile (or 80% of it) from the starting district building. Only the gathering flag has to be on the reachable portion of your path.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

A small suggestion I would make for storage management: Turn off food storage in your storehouses. All food producing and processing buildings can store a good chunk of food items in them, farmhouses can store 50 of each raw foodstuff, grills and bakeries can store over 100 of the end products each.

If you want to build up a food stockpile I would suggest either dedicated warehouses for each type of food, or just building more food production buildings because they store food anyway. Another option would be to store things like flour and potatoes rather than grilled/bread, because they convert at 1>4-5 in the final processing step.

Personally I set up a storehouse near farms, each one has exactly one type of food set.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah if you are going to use them to store food I would suggest doing one type so they can't get full of the wrong thing, but a lot of food storage is just in the production buildings as well.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I would suggest at least one dedicated large warehouse dedicated to food in general when the droughts start getting longer, just in case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though again you can improve the efficiency of the storage several times by storing flour or uncooked potatoes for later conversion.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

No but you can just plug the left windmill direct to the left wall of the shredder, rather than going round the back.

Ahh I gotcha, that's how I had it originally set up but I thought maybe it needed to go into the same shaft as the first one when it wasn't working.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Love this game. Now that I have enough resources to experiment without worrying too much about a death spiral I'm starting to get the idea of how to use floodgates to my advantage. I'm still occasionally flooding everything because the slider on the floodgates is confounding but it seems to drain out so :shrug:

I'm working on building up the walls of the riverbed so I can keep a bigass reservoir upstream, it's already working well enough with the staged floodgate setup I have now but if I'm not careful it backs up the whole river and quickly gets out of hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nope, full height building walls work like four way gearboxes.

Also I got my flow regulator working! This dam can keep the river flowing several days into the drought by restricting the flow of water, it would work better if i had a taller reservoir but I don't, so the river now flows quite slowly during drought, but it does flow almost all the way through the drought.

During full flow the spillway blocks either side allow the river to discharge at full pace over the dam, but otherwise only the central block allows passage which results in a slow drain of the reservoir over a number of days, which is enough to keep some of the water wheels working and the downstream area irrigated. If I narrowed the channel and put the wheels in sequence I think they would all work but again, space constraints and I don't really need all the wheels anyway.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 20, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Playing Satisfactory co-op with a friend and boy, is the early game rough. I'm not sure we're going to make it over the hump. Between weird belt logic (that makes perfect sense but works entirely differently from any other factory game, in a negative way) and the goddamn power situation with biomass burners... yeah, I just don't know.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

Playing Satisfactory co-op with a friend and boy, is the early game rough. I'm not sure we're going to make it over the hump. Between weird belt logic (that makes perfect sense but works entirely differently from any other factory game, in a negative way) and the goddamn power situation with biomass burners... yeah, I just don't know.

Is this your first play thru?

I haven't played in awhile, but there is usually some value in having a biofuel chain, even after you get oil up and running. While it does require you to manually manage it, it really doesn't amount to more than dump leaves and logs in a bin, and then get the biofuel and top off all your powerplants every 10-15 minutes or so. You need the biofuel for the chainsaw, and that's pretty great for quickly harvesting terrain stuff.

I've started three different games with a friend, the first time we bungled our way to the end game, the second we beelined to oil power, and to be honest that one wasn't that fun.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Grevlek posted:

Is this your first play thru?

I haven't played in awhile, but there is usually some value in having a biofuel chain, even after you get oil up and running. While it does require you to manually manage it, it really doesn't amount to more than dump leaves and logs in a bin, and then get the biofuel and top off all your powerplants every 10-15 minutes or so. You need the biofuel for the chainsaw, and that's pretty great for quickly harvesting terrain stuff.

I've started three different games with a friend, the first time we bungled our way to the end game, the second we beelined to oil power, and to be honest that one wasn't that fun.

First time through, yeah. Held off a long time because EGS (not having that argument here), finally decided to get it at goon recommendation.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

not baiting you into whatever argument here but it's also on steam if that's a concern https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

First time through, yeah. Held off a long time because EGS (not having that argument here), finally decided to get it at goon recommendation.

Lol my friend who wanted to play it with me insisted we get it on EGS as well, so I feel that.

Game is more about thruput than maximizing output. There is a tech that lets you make sort of Rolo looking biofuel, that works really well much better than logs or leaves. Another thing that helps is building more burners than you need, the amount of fuel used is relative to your max capacity and your load on that. Keeping your power usage less than half of your max capacity means you should be able to play for awhile before needing to reload the fuel.

I played this before DSP, and I personally like DSP more, but the multi is pretty fun. I'd recommend playing this save till you get to oil power, and restarting to see if you can get there faster.

I know an update is on the horizon, but as far as I'm aware it's mostly adding to the endgame content