Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I ordered my wife an iPad Mini. I bought her last year’s basic iPad but she likes the smaller form factor. We will get a trade-in credit of $240 for her iPad. Makes it a solid deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Referring to it as proprietary cable is correct but also misleading in this context because it's so popular that it's absolutely not hard to find a lightning cable if you ever need one and it's not like people are not buying lightning devices anymore.

Not only is it not hard to find a lighting cable, it's TONS easier than finding a USB-C cable and finding a USB Type A charger is exponentially easier than finding a A-C cable or a USB-C charger and C-C cable.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of USB-C and now own a bunch of USB-C chargers, adaptors, cables, etc, I'm not going to defend Lighting, it's poo poo and well past it's time to go, but your average consumer does not own many USB-C cables/Chargers/Devices but probably has a drawer full of USB-A chargers and USB-A to Lighting cables as well as everyone they know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usb-c cables are gonna get real easy to find at every gas station the instant Apple makes a phone with the port. Because the cables are annoying to get right now isn't really a good reason to not switch.

When they do make the switch a conscientious Apple would sell phones with a usb-a to usb-c cables for a few years to save a billion wall warts instantly being thrown in the garbage but I wouldn't bet on that happening.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would like more adapters like the anker ones with 5 usb-A and 1 usb-c but with all usb-c with PD. I expect the only reasons that isn’t a thing is because the cheap manufacturers would be causing fires all over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like to lend my Pro to my younger brother for him to try out a 2nd gen pencil. I wanna just give him the device for a couple of weeks; let him use it at his leisure. Can I do so without giving him access to my iCloud data (photos, notes, etc.) without signing out of the device?

I don't want to sign out because iirc Apple doesn't like you de-/activating too many devices in a short time span (and I've already had to do so a few times this year).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I don't want to sign out because iirc Apple doesn't like you de-/activating too many devices in a short time span (and I've already had to do so a few times this year).

Yeah I don't know about this. I activate and de-activate a ton of devices all the drat time installing different beta versions of the OS, wiping the devices, etc I don't think they care.

You may be remembering iTunes/Apple Music authorizations being limited in terms of how many devices can be authorized to play music at a time, but even then, if you sign out/deauthorize a device, your device count goes down, and you can safely reauthorize it without a sort of penalty.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
So thinking of upgrading my first gen iPad Pro to the m1 12.0 iPad Pro primarily to watch youtube HDR content on it. My first gen is still chugging along but games such as Genshin is becoming too slow and I've been wanting to upgrade a bit early mostly for the screen. How is the mini LED screen for that? Have their been enough good HDR content in general yet for the iPad?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I mean it does HDR good, yes, very good in fact. Well, besides the pretty bad local dimming.

Though honestly I have never in my life suspected that HDR youtube content would be a compelling reason for anyone to do anything much less buy a thousand dollar tablet. And I’m on youtube a LOT

E: ok i tried some hdr stuff on youtube with my 12.9 M1 pro and I have to admit its pretty rad but not $1000 rad

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 17, 2021

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Does it have improved contrast on SDR content or is it the same as the previous iPad pros?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
No idea about contrast (I suspect it must be better though, with the number of dimming zones increased?) but brightness wise, I believe SDR content maxes at 600 nits, the same as the previous model.

Not that you would ever run the ipad at max brightness unless you were trying to use it in direct sunlight or something. It's plenty bright no matter what you're doing. I usually run it about 25% brightness.

E: to be frank the M1 iPad isn’t going to change your life, but coming from a gen 1 it would be quite the upgrade.

However if you intend on making use of the magic keyboard and use your ipad almost every day, it could be a good pickup.

That being said, Apple products are hardly ever about practicality, especially at the M1 12.9 price point it will never be “worth it” I mean ipadOS hamstrings the M1 to the point where it’s ridiculous. It’s like having a V8 in a Honda Fit or something (I’m sure better analogies could be made but you get the point).

But if you have plenty of disposable income, it’s a sweet toy that is surprisingly useful. I probably use mine about 2-4 hours a day between media consumption, posting, working, or even putting on a podcast or show while doing chores. So in my case I think it was a great purchase, but I use mine constantly and I don’t think that’s the norm.

Plus there’s always the outside chance that Apple will actually let it do heavy productivity lifting someday but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Honestly the worst thing about having the 12.9 M1 ipad is that you are KEENLY aware of how capable it is and how it could easily be the centerpiece of your digital life if only Apple would stop being dickheads and let it do MacOS.

Taima fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 17, 2021

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Bought the updated mini to bridge the gap during the day between my mini phone and my iPad Pro 11, reserved for the real lifting for creative things. Curious to see how I’ll like it for media consumption, light gaming, and maybe a pseudo portable modular audio rig.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
My girlfriend has an iPad Pro and a Windows computer at work, and would like to use an external SSD between the two. It seems like formatting it in exFAT is really the only option to make this work (only having read access from the iPad is not an option), but whenever exFAT is mentioned, reliability issues come up. How serious are those issues, really? Can't be worse than using classic FAT-formatted USB drives, can it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless your gf has high performance workflows, like editing 4k 10 bit video, there's going to be very little if any real world differences between the disk formats. Most of the disk format stuff is to address enterprise data center needs

If your gf has PII (names, address, phone number, financial data etc) she'll need a way to encrypt that data at rest, especially if she's in any way tied to a publicly traded company

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Thanks for the reply. Performance really isn't a concern for her use-case, and neither is protecting trade secrets, fortunately. Really, the only concern is the lack of journaling on exFAT, and thus the chance of losing data. But unless there's a way for iPads to write to NTFS that I missed, I guess it's kind of a moot point, anyway. Getting her to follow a decent backup routine is a bit of a process, and I'm just trying to get a sense of how inevitable data loss is with exFAT and covering my bases.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Got a new ipad air, is there an adapter that can allow me to charge it and plug in headphones simultaneously? I saw one for lightning but haven't found one for USB-C yet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ristolaz posted:

Got a new ipad air, is there an adapter that can allow me to charge it and plug in headphones simultaneously? I saw one for lightning but haven't found one for USB-C yet.
Probably a bunch more beyond this:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iPad+usb-c+audio+charge+adapter

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Ristolaz posted:

Yeah plenty of hubs that also have HDMI out and stuff. I bought this one and it fits perfectly.

Anker USB C Hub for iPad Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082VRG55W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm rewatching Good Place on Netflix and when there's around 100 seconds left the screen goes black but I still get audio. Closing and restarting gives me a second of visuals before it goes blank.

I've tried the reset button in settings, removing Netflix and restarting my iPad pro. Any ideas?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The General posted:

I'm rewatching Good Place on Netflix and when there's around 100 seconds left the screen goes black but I still get audio. Closing and restarting gives me a second of visuals before it goes blank.

I've tried the reset button in settings, removing Netflix and restarting my iPad pro. Any ideas?

Interesting. Just had that bug on another show a couple of days ago. Closing the app and restarting it did fix it though

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I had this problem recently as well, only on shows I was rewatching. I saw there was an update just released today, haven't had time to test it out though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem more and more I'm now considering getting a used Ipad Pro and specifically because of the LiDar sensor. We have some pretty big house renovations coming which will need a simple way to map out a floor plan and preferably also the exterior for things like the garden. From my research, any 2020+ iPad Pro is compatible with all the LiDar apps that I've found.
What I haven't found are good showcases or user examples of it actually working. Anyone have any experience with this use case? I began making a floor plan using a laser range finder and one of the free floor planner suites, but it was very time consuming compared to being able to walk and film and then fine tune the measurements with the range finder. Especially as it's an old building where nothing is 100% straight and with few right angles.

I'm still using a PC for desktop (so any app where I import the floor plan has to be cross platform as well) use and that's one area I won't get an Apple device.

Found a 11" iPad Pro 2020 WiFi 256GB for $800. Brand new. A ton of money, but if it works I'm up for it. Would also be amazing to 3D scan objects for 3D printing projects.

Stupid idea or feasible (and yes, there is a certain amount of 'finding an excuse to buy poo poo' in this)?

Edit: or second hand with a magic keyboard for about $170 more.

VVV: Yeah. Photogrammetry is cool but pretty labour intensive and time consuming. The 3D scanning for objects seems decent, but yeah. Anyone got any experience with floor planning apps for the iPad?

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 20, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you have any success with lidar like that, I'd love to see any of the results. Like you, I've heard a lot about the promises of lidar in consumer electronics, but I've never seen it done in practice. I have a couple lidar projects I'd like to do myself

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A while back I used a phone app that make floor plans by holding your phone flat against a wall, one wall after the other from room to room. I think it worked purely off the GPS/compass and some kind of inertial calculation and was shockingly close to the right dimensions when I checked with a tape measure.

edit: It was MagicPlan I think.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 20, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

withak posted:

A while back I used a phone app that make floor plans by holding your phone flat against a wall, one wall after the other from room to room. I think it worked purely off the GPS/compass and some kind of inertial calculation and was shockingly close to the right dimensions when I checked with a tape measure.

edit: It was MagicPlan I think.

Ah yes I gave it a quick try using their corner function. Going to try it some more tomorrow and see if it can do what I need it to. It started off good but got a bit out of whack as the room was about done, but I need to give it more time. I found an app called "Polycam" for Photogrametry and drat it's pretty drat impressive. Takes a fraction of the time it took to take pictures with a normal camera and import into programs etc. Much better results as well. Only works for 3D scanning of objects though.

Problem is that I've now sown the seed and kinda want the drat iPad anyway. Sigh.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
iOS 15 kicked my iPad back to only 5 icons per row. Can I fix this?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The rest were sacrificed at the widget altar

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the only true lidar app is Sitescape, but accuracy is only guaranteed "to within an inch" which uhh is not confidence inspiring. Most commercial stuff is competing at the fraction of a millimeter range

Probably if you mount the iPad to a tripod and put the lidar sensor at the axis of rotation it might be reasonably accurate

Also it's $50/mo, which.... Why. Commercial dedicated scanners off the shelf are under $300 now

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 20, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So is the lidar used for anything, or did it end up mostly a conference bullet point?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rinkles posted:

So is the lidar used for anything, or did it end up mostly a conference bullet point?

It’s used to help with focusing camera shots in low light conditions.

And… that’s it, I think?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're an architect and customer wants to order new windows, or build a new room on the side of the house, it might be useful to mock something up and get a quote out the door in an hour or two, but you'd still have to come back and manually measure everything due to how inaccurate that lidar system is, and at that point the tape measure + a ladder is probably just as fast

I can't imagine > 1 inch being of any use to a professional who would typically use the precision of lidar. If you're an interior designer or landscape architect, your world is probably squishy enough at accept that kind of error in your work

But yeah, back to my other point, at $50/mo you can just buy a high quality, fixed cost lidar scanner for 6 months worth of subscription fees so I'm not sure who they're targeting here. This kind of product is maybe best geared towards teenage girls decorating their college dorm room

Edit: yeah primary purpose is correctly applying bokeh to your photos :psyduck: buy overpriced hardware, get over engineered solutions

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Rinkles posted:

- It helps the camera focus faster, especially in low light (though taking photos on the iPad in general is awkward)
- It helps AR apps aquire spatial tracking a lot faster, especially in low light (which basically means it’s a lot easier to do anything with AR inside)
- It’s required for AR “world tracking” (where the device can actually generate a 3D mesh of the world, instead of only recognizing flat horizontal surface, flat vertical surfaces, faces, and tracking icons (QR codes, etc).

So the answer is basically no, it’s just a nice to have. Since the LIDAR is only on the Pro iPads/iPhones few apps really take advantage of it and AR in general feels like even more of a novelty than VR. Good AR apps and content is basically non-existent (probably for the best, running LIDAR, camera, maybe GPS, and the GPU for an AR app chews through the battery and really heats up the device. It’s not a pleasant experience.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lidar is getting used a lot for object scanning, eg for game asset creation. I don't know if anyone is using iPads to do it though, but they could.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
On the 11” iPad Pro the screen comfortably shows 8 apps per row when pulling up the App Library. But on the regular Home Screen this is limited to four for whatever reason. This feels much more cramped than iOS 14.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so widgets for iPad is cool, but

1. Most of my apps don’t have widgets

2. How the gently caress does apple have a widget for weather , but not an actual weather app for iPad ?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe widgets still require you to run the app before it shows up in the list of available widgets. This doesn't invalidate your point that too few apps provide widgets, but there's a chance some of your apps just haven't been started up yet so you don't know they have one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is to direct users to the $app store

Our iPad didn't come with a calculator app preinstalled

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My God the new Home Screen is mind-bogglingly terrible. It can only do six icons per row in landscape and five in portrait, instead of keeping it the same each, so now whatever your widget and icon placements in one orientation are will get completely hosed up when you turn to the other. I’m on the 12.9” iPad Pro and in order to keep it consistent with the others there’s now massive gaps in between each icon you could drive a truck through, just a ton of wasted space everywhere. I really hope Apple reverts this change, I can’t imagine what they were thinking, this isn’t just bad but also so unlike them I can’t believe it shipped.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah it kind of seems like they just wanted to check off the checkbox to get widgets on the home screen in iPad OS, but they didn't really give much care to the actual feature, which is kinda un-Apple-like.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Grabbing 15 now. I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I so far don’t like it. It’s dumb you’re now restricting me to fewer icons but it still won’t let me choose where they go. Let me make a second dock at the bottom or something.

iPhone especially, why force me to have icons on top?