Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
woosh haha

but still, looks nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

in DSM7 simply existing will be a mental disorder

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh
oh god loving damnit now i get it

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

This has been my Subtle Joke for Q4 2021. We now return you to your previously scheduled Trashcakes Programming

The hamburglar cums ketchup

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

This has been my Subtle Joke for Q4 2021. We now return you to your previously scheduled Trashcakes Programming

The hamburglar cums ketchup

if your cum is red see a doctor
or eat, like, way loving less rhubarbs

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

hbag posted:

spent this morning janitoring my NAS
now its running DSM7 and i want to strangle the godless fucker who decided that "synology photos"'s folder structure should put everything in a folder for its month, and then a folder for its year
who the gently caress does that
i dont mean albums, either, i mean the actual folders on the hard drive

either way im spending the rest of tonight watching poo poo on plex & eating garbage

dsm7 removes wifi functionality so I’m putting off upgrading. what are my options for having something else connect to the WiFi and then an Ethernet connection to my nas? moving my router, nas, or putting down a long Ethernet cable are none starters due to my awkward house Geography.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

hbag posted:

or, like, eat it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

vodkat posted:

dsm7 removes wifi functionality so I’m putting off upgrading. what are my options for having something else connect to the WiFi and then an Ethernet connection to my nas? moving my router, nas, or putting down a long Ethernet cable are none starters due to my awkward house Geography.

having a nas relying solely on wifi sounds terrible

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

vodkat posted:

network bridges still exist. i have a unifi ap downstairs that bridges my game boxes to my network better than their onboard wireless cards will do.

hbag posted:

good enough for backups, documents, and pictures. wouldn't want to stream video off
of one like that.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

hbag posted:

or eat, like, way loving less rhubarbs
I am not the hamburglar, to my everlasting chagrin

Also, yeah, hormones pretty much put the kibosh on that anyway

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I am not the hamburglar, to my everlasting chagrin

Also, yeah, hormones pretty much put the kibosh on that anyway

whenever someone mentions that hormones do that the less i want them tbh
"yea you cant cum no more" the sertraline's making it hard enough as-is goddamnit
and also, paradoxically, not making it hard at all

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don’t own a car, op.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

hbag posted:

whenever someone mentions that hormones do that the less i want them tbh
"yea you cant cum no more" the sertraline's making it hard enough as-is goddamnit
and also, paradoxically, not making it hard at all
oh no, not like that. If anything it's better than before but, well,

I call it "all of the yes, none of the mess"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

synology drive and synology office are pretty neat
using this combined with tailscale i wont have to use google drive for any of this poo poo anymore

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i also, for whatever reason, want to get my hands on a C64
but i dont want to blow 100 bucks on one, as reasonable as that price is

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

hbag posted:

i also, for whatever reason, want to get my hands on a C64
but i dont want to blow 100 bucks on one, as reasonable as that price is
may I suggest you use a time machine to go back to 1996

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sagacity posted:

may I suggest you use a time machine to go back to 1996

no they cost even more back then

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
eh. imo/e it’s not really worth it to own vintage hardware. it just ends up in a corner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buy a lovely mechanical keyboard and overload a lovely power supply until it's melting plastic. 90% of the c64 experience there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

no they cost even more back then

nah, that was the era where you'd pretty easily get them free, as people still remembered that they were pretty garbage.

also fyi they indeed are pretty garbage and near 100% perfectly emulated.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i got a free C64 from a classmate back then but my dad threw it out when i moved out from home :(

i may never forgive him

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, that was the era where you'd pretty easily get them free, as people still remembered that they were pretty garbage.

also fyi they indeed are pretty garbage and near 100% perfectly emulated.

"just use an emulator lol" is such a lame and devoid-of-fun answer
it is not at all about the OS

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
authentic retrocomputing is for x'ers and millenials with disposable cash and a bunch of extra space to keep all this poo poo. focus on your education and eventually getting some income. nobody ever died by playing frogger on an emulator

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

buy a lovely mechanical keyboard and overload a lovely power supply until it's melting plastic. 90% of the c64 experience there

jam mud into your speakers and put them in a bucket of water. that'll get you the other 10%

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

"just use an emulator lol" is such a lame and devoid-of-fun answer
it is not at all about the OS

we're talking a machine where "the os" is pretty much nothing though. if you want to enjoy microsoft rom BASIC there are certainly easier ways.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silver Alicorn posted:

eh. imo/e it’s not really worth it to own vintage hardware. it just ends up in a corner

my workbench has two Macs and a Pippin atm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

my workbench has two Macs and a Pippin atm

you're actually doing something with yours! many of us get an old box, play around with it for a few days to reminisce about what it was like when computers were still fun, and then realize it's actually pretty hard to do anything worthwhile or fun on it without an ecosystem of support for it, and then stick it in a corner or sell it on to someone else.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

hbag posted:

well yes, but router plugs in in the kitchen and running a cable through my rented house is not an option. don’t really have connection issues over WiFi and certainly better than the whole thing being destroyed by a soup or booze.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

network bridges still exist. i have a unifi ap downstairs that bridges my game boxes to my network better than their onboard wireless cards will do.

good enough for backups, documents, and pictures. wouldn't want to stream video off
of one like that.

thanks we’ll do this!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hbag posted:

spent this morning janitoring my NAS
now its running DSM7 and i want to strangle the godless fucker who decided that "synology photos"'s folder structure should put everything in a folder for its month, and then a folder for its year
who the gently caress does that

some genius programmer realized this means there are exactly 12 top-level folders with unbounded child folders rather than the other way around and thought it looked neater that way

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
beck: two turntables and a microphone

luigi thirty:

Luigi Thirty posted:

two Macs and a Pippin atm

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

haveblue posted:

some genius programmer realized this means there are exactly 12 top-level folders with unbounded child folders rather than the other way around and thought it looked neater that way

no, no, its worse
for example, its like fuckinnn photos/2021/09/foobar.png
the loving YEAR is the top-level folder
its terrible

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

vodkat posted:

well yes, but router plugs in in the kitchen and running a cable through my rented house is not an option. don’t really have connection issues over WiFi and certainly better than the whole thing being destroyed by a soup or booze.

just... use powerline? works fine for me
its like ethernet but it uses your mains power

and you can set encryption keys on them too so you dont need to worry about some rando stealing your internet if you live in an apartment complex or something

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hbag posted:

no, no, its worse
its terrible

wait, what is wrong with that? how would you organize photos into folders?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I am failing to see what hbag is on about here.

Why would you ever want it in an order other than year - month - day? I want to see all photos taken in any November? All photos taken on the 23rd of any month? Wtf

Also this is why poo poo like Lightroom exists.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

hbag posted:

no, no, its worse
its terrible

this sounds pretty good op

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
no folders, only sort by date

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hbag posted:

no, no, its worse
its terrible

This is the way.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
switch to haiku and use the powerful file management features https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/attributes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hbag posted:

just... use powerline? works fine for me
its like ethernet but it uses your mains power

and you can set encryption keys on them too so you dont need to worry about some rando stealing your internet if you live in an apartment complex or something

there are a whole lot of wiring jobs in which power line networking simply doesn't work. it's great when it does but it's far from assured.