Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Squeeze the whole dog through the narrow end of the tube like play-doh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sanctum posted:

Doesn't that ruin your credit? :ohdear:

Australia doesn't use the insane toxic credit system the US does. No one else does.

I did a credit check of myself back in the early 2000s and the only thing on it was a small loan I had to take out for some emergency, but paid back in full.

We don't get the "hung toilet roll in incorrect manner -500 Hogwarts Credit Points" like in the US where everything you do screws up your credit score by design.

Technically, I owed the real estate people no money, so there was nothing to affect my credit score, no matter how pissed off they might have been.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Fattest PI posted:

If the landlord does something lovely like steal your money, and you want to be petty about it, don't do something instantly traceable to you. If you're going to ruin someone's house, ruin his where he lives, just under the cover of darkness.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, get an old fire extinguisher, put in fish oil, pressurize it with air, and go spray his house at night.

If it comes to this, the path of victory lies in darkness. Purchase 2.5 lbs of lard, and 4 lbs of sugar. This should cost around 20 dollars. Knead the sugar into the lard. Form the mixture into kiwi-sized lumps, and place them in your freezer. 2 or 3 times per week, drive past the landlord's house, and huck one into their yard. The introduction of ~1000 calories of fat and sugar to this spot on a regular basis will change everything about the ecology of this area, but it shouldn't be visibly noticeable, at least during the warm months. Ants will swarm in. Raccoons will build summer houses. The landlord won't understand why, but the entire urban environment will begin a slow-scale invasion. Soon it's not the landlord's house, it's the raccoons' house. Perhaps they will move away. Perhaps the madness will lead them to desperate acts of derangement. We still win.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's not a very nice thing to do to the animals.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We don't get the "hung toilet roll in incorrect manner -500 Hogwarts Credit Points" like in the US where everything you do screws up your credit score by design.

I don’t think that exists in the US either? There is no renters credit score, landlords cant affect your score unless you didn’t pay rent. That’s why the deposit exists, that’s their insurance you won’t trash the place and move on.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Barbarian

Soul Dentist posted:

My wife's idea in that situation was to rub filthy things into the grout and make it the dirtiest theoretically possible (she cleans for a living).

MY idea would be to painstakingly remove all traces of grout with a hammer and chisel, leaving the tiles intact (I'm viciously petty for a living). If the landlord complained just tell 'em the grout is at the dry cleaners.
Wife: Cleric
Husband: Warrior

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, get an old fire extinguisher, put in fish oil, pressurize it with air, and go spray his house at night.
Wizard/Artificer

The Fattest PI posted:

If the landlord does something lovely like steal your money, and you want to be petty about it, don't do something instantly traceable to you. If you're going to ruin someone's house, ruin his where he lives, just under the cover of darkness.
Rogue

Kenning posted:

If it comes to this, the path of victory lies in darkness. Purchase 2.5 lbs of lard, and 4 lbs of sugar. This should cost around 20 dollars. Knead the sugar into the lard. Form the mixture into kiwi-sized lumps, and place them in your freezer. 2 or 3 times per week, drive past the landlord's house, and huck one into their yard. The introduction of ~1000 calories of fat and sugar to this spot on a regular basis will change everything about the ecology of this area, but it shouldn't be visibly noticeable, at least during the warm months. Ants will swarm in. Raccoons will build summer houses. The landlord won't understand why, but the entire urban environment will begin a slow-scale invasion. Soon it's not the landlord's house, it's the raccoons' house. Perhaps they will move away. Perhaps the madness will lead them to desperate acts of derangement. We still win.
Druid

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Which one's landerig chaotic neutral

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean we got a healer, crowd control and DPS so let's go raid a landlord

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
just wanted to join in on the fun
https://i.imgur.com/kPK1Wnx.mp4

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Most likely the dog saw the cone and tried sticking his head through it because that's just something animals can't seem to stop themselves from doing and now they are regretting their life choices immensely.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Australia doesn't use the insane toxic credit system the US does. No one else does.

I did a credit check of myself back in the early 2000s and the only thing on it was a small loan I had to take out for some emergency, but paid back in full.

Technically, I owed the real estate people no money, so there was nothing to affect my credit score, no matter how pissed off they might have been.

Credit score isn't perfect in the US, but it's not a trap like everyone seems to think it is. Credit score is a measure of your reliability to repay, and determines what rates you can get on a loan.

You borrow money, your credit score goes down. You pay it back, your score goes back up again. The more you pay back at a time, or the sooner you completely pay it off, the more score you get back as well.

Some caveats some people might not be aware of. Paying only the minimum will not fully recover the score lost from borrowing when it's paid off. Paying it off sooner will grant you more score, with the possibility of getting more score than you lost. Best way to raise your score is to use your credit card to purchase small things frequently and pay off immediately.

It's designed to make it so you don't borrow right to your limit. If you can only pay the monthly minimum, then you're considered a risk, and your score goes down. If you lose your job, or an emergency comes up, you're probably gonna miss one or more payments.

Anal, not saying it's a perfect system, or the best available. But it's not the Boogeyman non-americans seen to think it is.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 20, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, the system doesn't take into account when you pay off credit cards fully every month. Every report I've ever seen so far dings for "high running balance", and you make it sound like it should behave quite the opposite in this case. Even if one proves, on a monthly basis, that that can pay off the entire debt, it's counted against them.

Therefor, I submit that the American credit score system is a scam, your honor. And I'll have medium fries with that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Velocity Raptor posted:

[snips]
Best way to raise your score is to use your credit card to purchase small things frequently and pay off immediately.

You understand how alien, backwards, and flat-out insane that sounds, right? Borrowing money you don't need to borrow, to instantly repay back, to show that you're good at borrowing? God forbid you live a life without a credit card...

And a chocolate icey, please.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

Credit score isn't perfect in the US, but it's not a trap like everyone seems to think it is. Credit score is a measure of your reliability to repay, and determines what rates you can get on a loan.

Bad credit = higher rates = higher likelihood of failure = lower credit rating = even higher rates = even higher likelihood of failure.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Exactly. The credit score system was put in place to single out the most lucrative market for the most lucrative financial product: leveraging late and other fees on the poor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bardic option is to secret a speaker on landlord's property and play Panama by Van Halen over and over. Bonus points if you have eyes on it so you can shut off the sound if they get too close to finding the source.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Serephina posted:

You understand how alien, backwards, and flat-out insane that sounds, right? Borrowing money you don't need to borrow, to instantly repay back, to show that you're good at borrowing? God forbid you live a life without a credit card...

I very much concur. That sounds utterly... Pointless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you're lending out money, the safest person to lend to is someone who doesn't actually need it. Since you already know they're good to pay you back.

For most people that's pointless trivia. But someone figured out you could make a lot of money by setting up a system where people who don't need the money need to borrow from you anyway.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Anal, not saying it's a perfect system, or the best available.

But it's close enough! :pervert:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

In college I rented an apartment near the school which is in a very bad neighborhood. It was a row of attached townhomes that had been chopped up and turned into apartments, and the building next to mine had been abandoned for many years so it became a home for the neighborhood rats. I was gearing up to do a year at one of my school's overseas campuses and during the last few months of my lease the following things happened.

1. The started renovating the empty building next to me which meant all the rats moved from there into my building. I could hear them in the walls at night and occasionally see them peeking out from under the radiator
2. The drain pipes in my shower rotted out and collapsed the ceiling of the apartment under mine
3. My lease included utilities which was a really sweet deal until the landlord decided he didn't want to pay the gas bill anymore so I lost hot water

It was my last month so I had already paid with my first-and-last deposit, and I was too stubborn to move out so I stayed in there to the bitter end. I came up with all sorts of elaborate eplans of revenge before I left, but ultimately I just set a fire extinguisher off on my way out and promptly left the country. I doubt it mattered to anyone because the building was almost certainly sold and renovated afterwards, but it was satisfying to do.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I once applied for a credit card and was declined, with the stated reason being "You don't have enough open credit cards."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Samovar posted:

I very much concur. That sounds utterly... Pointless.

The problem is that consumer credit has been built on the same framework as corporate credit. From a business perspective, it makes absolute sense to use short and long term debt to finance investments while freeing up cash on hand. That only makes sense when the anticipated return in investment is greater than the internet rate on the debt.

Those types of calculations don't apply to consumer credit (other than, like your mortgage), since almost nothing you buy is ever going to increase in value or lead to profit. Basically, consumer credit only makes sense if you use it as an American Express charge card (i.e., you pay off all purchases at the end of every cycle. In that scenario, you're basically using your credit card as a bank book and tracking your expenses by month as opposed to checking your cash on hand at every individual purchase.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Serephina posted:

Non-US citizen wife had no credit score despite living in the US for years and having a checking account with tens of thousands of dollars. Couldn't get a loan to buy a house until we got a joint credit card and put groceries on it once or twice a month for six months.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nighthand posted:

I once applied for a credit card and was declined, with the stated reason being "You don't have enough open credit cards."

I've been through that wringer. Got turned down on my first card since I had insufficient credit, applied for a bunch of other cards and got turned down for excessive credit inquiries. Sucks. I eventually got a deposit-secured credit card and started using it moderately, and suddenly the credit card offers started spewing in. I turned down $250k of credit cards in the first year.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Repaying loans doesn't boost your credit, the credit formula wants you to have different kinds of active credit (term, revolving), not having an active facility of each type is detrimental to your score. On revolving credit it wants to have some utilization, but not so much it gets into 'high' utilization, which is some percentage of your available credit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They also want long history. The biggest hit I've ever taken to my credit score was simply due to cancelling a credit card I'd had for 18 years when my next longest owned card was only 4 years old

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's also based on how much people are *willing* to lend to you. So the larger amount of open credit you have (without filling it), the higher your credit score. And the more credit you are extended, the larger credit lines other places will extend you in turn. So, someone with a 3k card they fill up but pay off fully each month will have worse credit than someone with a 20k card that they keep a floating ~5k balance on (because they're only using 1/4 of their available credit at any given time), and the person with the 20k card will also get offers to open other large credit lines (and potentially further increase their score) that the person with the smaller credit limit wouldn't receive.

Anyway the FICO score didn't exist before 1989 so we should all be furious that our generation had its futures stolen by the banks giving us Person Ratings that can trap people in poverty

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 20, 2021

Graedyn
Feb 21, 2009

Wedge Regret

Velocity Raptor posted:

You borrow money, your credit score goes down. You pay it back, your score goes back up again. The more you pay back at a time, or the sooner you completely pay it off, the more score you get back as well.

Some caveats some people might not be aware of. Paying only the minimum will not fully recover the score lost from borrowing when it's paid off. Paying it off sooner will grant you more score, with the possibility of getting more score than you lost. Best way to raise your score is to use your credit card to purchase small things frequently and pay off immediately.

It's designed to make it so you don't borrow right to your limit. If you can only pay the monthly minimum, then you're considered a risk, and your score goes down. If you lose your job, or an emergency comes up, you're probably gonna miss one or more payments.

Anal, not saying it's a perfect system, or the best available. But it's not the Boogeyman non-americans seen to think it is.

Some additional experience:
Even though I have had a perfect credit history for 20+ years with $0 and low balances on my accounts, I will get hit for at least 30 points when I transfer balances. I don't get those 30 points back when the originating account reports as paid.

Back in the late 90's and early 00's, I worked at a local Equifax affiliate that did reporting only--we were not a collection bureau. Part of my job was to assist people who came to get a copy of their credit report and I would dispute incorrect information with creditors on their behalf. Having seen the industry from the inside, it's a corrupt, discriminatory, unfair dumpster fire of an industry. It needs to be razed and rebuilt from the ground up. There are companies out there that will buy outdated collection accounts from other collection agencies and by doing this, the same debt can be out there for years even though the limit is 7 years. There is a date of last activity on a collection account that is supposed to be the date the original creditor--bank, medical facility, credit card company--received a payment from the consumer and is never to be changed. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I saw credit files with the same collection account on 3 or more lines reported by difference collection agencies--the only difference was that date of last activity, which was tweaked just enough so it stayed on the file longer. This just one example. The three bureaus have no verification process to ensure the info they house is correct. There's no accountability when they don't correct information in the file when they're shown verification that the info is inaccurate. In short, it is a boogeyman that holds people hostage.

piratescurvy
Jun 28, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

gently caress landlords/rental agencies. Every time I move I think their directive is to literally find any small fault to keep the full deposit, it seems like a scam. Most of the time it's cheap construction/fixtures flaws that will damage over time, like in this video the grouting.

I had a landlord keep my deposit because "the inside of the stove hood looked dirty". I took her to small claims court. Her brother was the judge. Womp womp.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

piratescurvy posted:

I had a landlord keep my deposit because "the inside of the stove hood looked dirty". I took her to small claims court. Her brother was the judge. Womp womp.

Isn't that a clear conflict of interest you could claim to the court complaints mechanism?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
There is a lovely landlord in my small town that loved to rent his crappy houses to drug dealers since they would pay extra in cash for him to look the other way.

That trend ended recently this spring when he refused to give one of them their deposit back since the lawn was a trash heap, so the dealers just emptied a ton meat out of freezers onto the living room carpet, sealed up the windows then left.

LabDrunk40
Jun 17, 2005

"I wonder if there's beer on the sun..."

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Isn't that a clear conflict of interest you could claim to the court complaints mechanism?

A clear what that you could claim to the what?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lascivious Sloth posted:

:lol:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Graedyn posted:

Some additional experience:
Even though I have had a perfect credit history for 20+ years with $0 and low balances on my accounts, I will get hit for at least 30 points when I transfer balances. I don't get those 30 points back when the originating account reports as paid.

Back in the late 90's and early 00's, I worked at a local Equifax affiliate that did reporting only--we were not a collection bureau. Part of my job was to assist people who came to get a copy of their credit report and I would dispute incorrect information with creditors on their behalf. Having seen the industry from the inside, it's a corrupt, discriminatory, unfair dumpster fire of an industry. It needs to be razed and rebuilt from the ground up. There are companies out there that will buy outdated collection accounts from other collection agencies and by doing this, the same debt can be out there for years even though the limit is 7 years. There is a date of last activity on a collection account that is supposed to be the date the original creditor--bank, medical facility, credit card company--received a payment from the consumer and is never to be changed. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I saw credit files with the same collection account on 3 or more lines reported by difference collection agencies--the only difference was that date of last activity, which was tweaked just enough so it stayed on the file longer. This just one example. The three bureaus have no verification process to ensure the info they house is correct. There's no accountability when they don't correct information in the file when they're shown verification that the info is inaccurate. In short, it is a boogeyman that holds people hostage.

And to loop this back around to Schadenfreude, Equifax's data was breached back in 2017 meaning if you had any credit at all there's a good chance hackers have your personal data. The Schad is on all of us! :haw:

Also, multiple Equifax execs sold stock in the company after learning of the breach, but before the breach was made public. :capitalism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Equifax_data_breach

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I still have never had a credit card and I have a decent amount of savings but I know I'm going to be unable to get a bunch of stuff when I finally need it bc of not having a credit score but the idea of getting a credit card is so stressful bc of how it's designed to be a debt trap.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You can get one and just not use it (snip it if needed) to start your credit trap rolling.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

PetraCore posted:

I still have never had a credit card and I have a decent amount of savings but I know I'm going to be unable to get a bunch of stuff when I finally need it bc of not having a credit score but the idea of getting a credit card is so stressful bc of how it's designed to be a debt trap.

There are "credit cards" you can get where you put money into them beforehand and then work like a debit card but still let you build up credit

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

PetraCore posted:

We haven’t carried a balance on our cards in about 15 years and have taken several free trips on the rewards. You can gently caress yourself up pretty bad with them, but you can also make them work for you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just put all of my expenses on credit cards and pay them off every month. So I'm not carrying any revolving debt (or paying interest on same) but it gives me a good credit score, and I get cash back and miles from the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just put all of my expenses on credit cards and pay them off every month. So I'm not carrying any revolving debt (or paying interest on same) but it gives me a good credit score, and I get cash back and miles from the cards.

I do this as well, but I do this primarily because seemingly 7 of every 10 chip/mag-strip readers in Broward and Dade county is harvesting card data to sell for cash. I have to have my physical cards reset two or three times a year due to fraudulent purchases from stolen card numbers. gently caress ever putting a debit/ATM card in a card reader in south Florida.