Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kenning posted:

Form the mixture into kiwi-sized lumps, and place them in your freezer. 2 or 3 times per week, drive past the landlord's house, and huck one into their yard.

I'm going to assume you meant kiwi-fruit-sized. I was just talking to my kids about kiwis (the birds, not the people) and their eggs and the respective sizes thereof, and my mind just jumped to making a lump of lard and sugar the size of a kiwi bird and tossing it into someone's yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

No he meant throwing bird sized clumps into the yard, but a specific one

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
Condor sized lumps

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There are "credit cards" you can get where you put money into them beforehand and then work like a debit card but still let you build up credit
Oh, that sounds nice. Mostly I'm a little absent-minded so I don't want to forget to pay stuff off at the right time even if I have the money, this sounds like a good solution.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Velocity Raptor posted:

Credit score isn't perfect in the US, but it's not a trap like everyone seems to think it is. Credit score is a measure of your reliability to repay, and determines what rates you can get on a loan.

Uh, I don’t know if this is simple ignorance or corporate bootlicking, but the credit rating system is a loving disaster in every way possible.
This is probably not the place to go into it but suffice it to say credit agencies don’t care if what’s on your report is right, they care about finding new ways to sell your data to companies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

Oh, that sounds nice. Mostly I'm a little absent-minded so I don't want to forget to pay stuff off at the right time even if I have the money, this sounds like a good solution.

Both my Apple Card and capital one cards send me notifications on my phone of the upcoming bill being due. And I can pay them from their apps, takes no more than a minute with either. I assume most cards are like that these days, giving some extra protection so you don't forget to pay them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PetraCore posted:

When I had no credit cards and no credit history because I figured "no credit is better than bad credit" I got some Capital One starter card with, like, a $500 limit and just set it to pay my Netflix bill and then I could set up an automatic payment to cover that. Worked great and now my credit is good enough I can hopefully take out a bunch of huge loans and go live in the woods and never pay it back.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I broke my credit score.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's quite a hefty dose of schadenfreude that some Usanians have such a severe case of Stockholm syndrome, that they can't see how bad their credit score system is.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
My favorite part about the score that determines so much of my life is, the three agencies responsible for computing it are using 90s era IT security, and there's nothing stopping someone from unfreezing your credit with a simple google search.

But hey, I can pay them for credit monitoring services.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's quite a hefty dose of schadenfreude that some Usanians have such a severe case of Stockholm syndrome, that they can't see how bad their credit score system is.

No it's loving godawful terrible. The only people who don't think so either aren't even aware there could be another option (most) or profit from it (evil, relatively few)

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't learn to navigate it.

I have minimum payment auto pay on my one CC that I use so I never forget. Worst case I just don't make a real payment that month.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The US is designed from the ground up to be 100% schaden and 0% freude to normal people.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My favorite part about the score that determines so much of my life is, the three agencies responsible for computing it are using 90s era IT security, and there's nothing stopping someone from unfreezing your credit with a simple google search.

But hey, I can pay them for credit monitoring services.

Jokes on them because I still have free credit monitoring service thanks to the OPM hack of 2015 :cool: and for six years it sends me emails every so often, just long enough in between for me to forget about it, about an "important update to your identity monitoring!" which is exclusively the sex offender monitoring, which in a moderately large city just means several pages of names and locations of convicted sex offenders in my area. I cannot disable the sex offender monitoring despite it being completely unrelated to identify theft protection

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mauser posted:

Jokes on them because I still have free credit monitoring service thanks to the OPM hack of 2015 :cool: and for six years it sends me emails every so often, just long enough in between for me to forget about it, about an "important update to your identity monitoring!" which is exclusively the sex offender monitoring, which in a moderately large city just means several pages of names and locations of convicted sex offenders in my area. I cannot disable the sex offender monitoring despite it being completely unrelated to identify theft protection

Ya, the OPM hack monitoring has alerted me to credit card fraud precisely zero times, including when someone used my card data to send themselves $4000 worth of Yankees gear from MLB.com.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mauser posted:

:psyduck:

Is sex offender monitoring an additional service they provide that actual people subscribe to? Why is that a service a credit monitoring company even provides?

I'm so confused.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at the fin 101 stuff here, like this was expected 10 years ago when goons were just entering college / adulthood, but now? Schadenfreude on financial literacy of the SA.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mauser posted:

Same and also the email I got about this last week told me about a sex offender who now lives two doors down. Very cool "feature".

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Trees are truly the most dangerous game, probably statistically speaking anyway

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My local sex offender got a beej in a movie theatre from his gf. I didn't need to know that or corroborate it by searching the case number.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mauser posted:

Trees are truly the most dangerous game, probably statistically speaking anyway

Yep, loggers consistently place at the top of "Deadliest jobs" lists by a fairly wide margin

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PhazonLink posted:

lol at the fin 101 stuff here, like this was expected 10 years ago when goons were just entering college / adulthood, but now? Schadenfreude on financial literacy of the SA.

Are you...unfamiliar with the US?

Basic financial literacy never being taught to us is like #7 on the list of Biggest Issues With America, and at this point (as with so many other hosed up things in this country) there are significant interests battling to keep it that way. If high schoolers were taught "a credit card is not actually money, do not treat it as if it's money" or "hot tip buying <expensive thing> with no money down and monthly payments just means you're getting hosed with the interest" or even just "here's how to actually calculate a budget and stay within your means while saving money", whole industries would fail. SA (which is highly US-focused during the US day until the Finns take over at 4 AM) is no different from the rest of the US in that regard.

I mean just skim through the bad with money thread in BFC and you'll see hy-larious examples of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and older who don't know the first loving thing about how money works, and while a significant percentage of them are just idiots, the biggest reason is really that no one teaches this poo poo and the credit industry and others have made it just "how things are" that you carry a credit card balance and have a car payment and house payment.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I just put all of my expenses on credit cards and pay them off every month. So I'm not carrying any revolving debt (or paying interest on same) but it gives me a good credit score, and I get cash back and miles from the cards.

I do the same, but whatever internal mechanism calculates these ratings is fucky. I have several credit cards, but only a single credit card with a balance and one home mortgage, that's literally it. I put every expense in my life on that one card and pay it every month for points and no interest. That amount can vary wildly depending if I'm paying off a vacation or large purchase. Sometimes in months where the amount is large my credit rating will take a hit and the reason listed will be "Too many accounts with balances" when I have one and only one account ever with a balance, and I don't think the total amount has ever exceeded 20% of my revolving credit line. That poo poo loves to fluctuate for no discernable reason.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

gschmidl posted:

The US is designed from the ground up to be 100% schaden and 0% freude to normal people.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sirotan posted:

Same and also the email I got about this last week told me about a sex offender who now lives two doors down. Very cool "feature".

What an absolutely fascinating country you have there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you...unfamiliar with the US?

Basic financial literacy never being taught to us is like #7 on the list of Biggest Issues With America

Also a lot of us ITT aren't American and this whole "credit score" system sounds utterly insane to us

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

My wife and I have share all our accounts and bills and have been for 10+ years, and the only difference between us on paper is I make 3x as much $ per year and her credit score is 50 points higher than mine.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Anyway the FICO score didn't exist before 1989 so we should all be furious that our generation had its futures stolen by the banks giving us Person Ratings that can trap people in poverty

FICO sucks a lot but creditworthiness before then was wild. they'd write letters to people in your hometown asking if you were legit or a scumbag. imagine pissing off some local notable before moving away and then entirely unknown to you this person gets an inquiry asking if you're worth lending money to or not. FICO still has a lot of biases baked in but it at least pretends to be objective compared to what came before

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

finally starting to think I "get" cricket

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Velocity Raptor posted:

not saying it's a perfect system, or the best available. But it's not the Boogeyman non-americans seen to think it is.

lmao :psyduck:

Anyway; in other brainworms news:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ lmao

Unrelated, I hope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJcZBYn5HKo

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

MattO posted:

My wife and I have share all our accounts and bills and have been for 10+ years, and the only difference between us on paper is I make 3x as much $ per year and her credit score is 50 points higher than mine.

I have a crazy high credit score at 30 because I opened one with like a $500 limit at 19 as a “just in case” thing. I have another now, but I just slap a few bills with autopay on and don’t even consider it.

On my reports it always tells me the thing holding back my score being even higher is that I refuse to let them upgrade my credit limit to like $15,000 per card.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Why would you not let them do that? It demonstrates you have access to credit and don’t use it irresponsibly. Like their message says it can only help increase your score.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cuz gently caress em, that's why. why accept one of their 'gifts'

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/d33jx/status/1439911365305634816

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Crackbone posted:

credit agencies don’t care if what’s on your report is right, they care about finding new ways to sell your data to companies.

This is especially frustrating when a government agency insists on using your credit file to verify your identity instead of, y'know, government-issued ID. That's hosed me over more than once.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/sethmpk/status/1440009957626232836?s=19

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

KoRMaK posted:

cuz gently caress em, that's why. why accept one of their 'gifts'

I guess that’s fine if you never want a good interest rate on a home. The difference between a bank giving you 3.5 or 4.5% can make or break you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

I guess that’s fine if you never want a good interest rate on a home. The difference between a bank giving you 3.5 or 4.5% can make or break you.
lol yea, sure. speak for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think "Home of The Pizza" would be an excellent slogan for a pizzeria