Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone have suggestions on exact cables to buy to extend an index's cable? I've moved my setup into an area where I can use actual room scale, and I want to set up a pully system to keep the cable out of the way but the index's base cable is too short. I see posts and blogs about getting active cables, but in the next breath suggest a cable that looks to be completely passive. And also some cables that people say don't work for whatever reason? So I am pretty confused on what to buy now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Speaking of latency, I'm constantly off-time in Pistol Whip because they seemed to take away the trigger sensitivity and faint time adjustments before the recent update(s). I feel like I have to purposefully got 1/16th-ish beat ahead of what I want to do.

Please tell me there's a way to adjust that i'm just missing?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Broose posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on exact cables to buy to extend an index's cable? I've moved my setup into an area where I can use actual room scale, and I want to set up a pully system to keep the cable out of the way but the index's base cable is too short. I see posts and blogs about getting active cables, but in the next breath suggest a cable that looks to be completely passive. And also some cables that people say don't work for whatever reason? So I am pretty confused on what to buy now.

I mean, you'll probably get different answers from different people, but I use the 3 ft. cables from Cable Matters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1K1C3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7S1B4W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They both worked fine for both Rift S and Index. I think the length matters though, the longer your cable extensions the more likely you'll get random disconnects, so I've heard.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep. They basically said "HAHA gently caress U PC PLAYERS WEEEE" and ignored us. Steam version is a janky mess on the index.

The PC developer got out of VR development entirely (or at the very least, consumer-facing development). The Quest version is made by a different developer who licensed the rights to make an enhanced Quest port (and have absolutely run with it, to the point where it might as well be In Death 2), but otherwise can't touch the PC or PS4 versions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sethsez posted:

The PC developer got out of VR development entirely (or at the very least, consumer-facing development). The Quest version is made by a different developer who licensed the rights to make an enhanced Quest port (and have absolutely run with it, to the point where it might as well be In Death 2), but otherwise can't touch the PC or PS4 versions.

Thats a drat shame. Wonder if it has to do with weird wacky licensing stuff for arcades n poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've only played In Death on Quest 2. I played a bunch. I was feeling a little left out that I hadn't unlocked all the special things, but it turns out there's a ton of content.

90% of my deaths are from those flying ghosts that you have to bullseye the heart on. :argh:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I found a second hand Quest 1 and picked it up for some same-account playing with my wife. Worst case scenario would be buying some on sale game using her FB account, but so far pretty much everything we want to play has same-account multiplayer. I tell myself that at least I didn't give facebook the money. :smithicide:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Interesting bit of news out of Tundra Labs with their Trackers; They've gotten them certified in all regions and should have the early backer shipments in customer's hands by late October. They've also upgraded the battery to 850mA and the Chinese backers who already have theirs have said they can last up to a good 11 hours :eyepop:. These things really do seem to blow the Vive Tracker clean out of the water on all counts.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I haven’t followed VR news in over a year and so have a Quest 1: what did Facebook do recently?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I haven’t followed VR news in over a year and so have a Quest 1: what did Facebook do recently?

The Quest 2 requires you to have a Facebook account in order to use it, you cannot sign in with standalone Oculus login. If your Facebook account goes to Facebook jail for any reason or no reason, or if they suspect you have a made up name, or if you post a videogame controller that they mistake for a firearm (actually happened), you will lose access to your library of stuff until the account is reinstated, if it is. There are some antitrusts in different countries aimed at them due to this.

Probably 99%+ of people will be perfectly fine with this and not encounter obvious account denial, but being upset on principle is valid too.

They probably drone striked some kids in Darfur or something too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 20, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Meanwhile I just bought a Q2 to upgrade from my CV1 because I figure there's no ethical consumption in this hyper-capitalist fuckscape so I might as well enjoy my time on this hosed meatwad of a planet while I can.

Since I've had a CV1 I've been exclusively PCVR titles for ages, except when Asgard's wrath went on sale and that was really good (And still probably worth the $40 price point). Is there anything in the Q2 environment exclusively that I should look at? I've heard Tea for God is a thing, anything else I should look at?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

No sure whether they're exclusives but walkabout mini golf and eleven table tennis are both great and suit untethered play.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DelphiAegis posted:

Meanwhile I just bought a Q2 to upgrade from my CV1 because I figure there's no ethical consumption in this hyper-capitalist fuckscape so I might as well enjoy my time on this hosed meatwad of a planet while I can.

Since I've had a CV1 I've been exclusively PCVR titles for ages, except when Asgard's wrath went on sale and that was really good (And still probably worth the $40 price point). Is there anything in the Q2 environment exclusively that I should look at? I've heard Tea for God is a thing, anything else I should look at?

Puzzling Places

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GTO posted:

No sure whether they're exclusives but walkabout mini golf and eleven table tennis are both great and suit untethered play.

Airlink worked out-of-the-box and I have both of them on steam, but noted!

Alctel posted:

Puzzling Places

Ooh, a good one I forgot from the last few pages. Thank you!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So Netflix has released a VR game for Quest? Don’t be fooled by the question mark, they for sure did but drat if I can make much out of it.

https://uploadvr.com/netflix-eden-unearthed-app-lab/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GTO posted:

I'm really looking forward to walkabout mini golf with my wife.

Also, apart from a break because of having a cold I've been getting into VR exercise again and "Until you fall" is actually a pretty good work out. It's fun as well so I also end up playing way more than I expected.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

So Netflix has released a VR game for Quest? Don’t be fooled by the question mark, they for sure did but drat if I can make much out of it.

https://uploadvr.com/netflix-eden-unearthed-app-lab/

I can tell you at least it's a tie-in for Eden, a 6-episode anime series they helped produced. But why it's releasing now is anyone's guess.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of exercise, has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-F2-Circulation-Interface-Accumulation/dp/B099574TKJ?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

The cotton interface covers from VRCover just aren't enough when things start getting really intense, I need something more aggressive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I've been having consistent "grayouts" with my Index headset, as in it's still powered on and isn't considered "disconnected" but I get a gray screen and/or no audio. I've reinstalled SteamVR and moved my headset USB to the front 3.0 port, but I didn't test it again last night. Hopefully that will fix it.

I don't think it's hardware related, I think it's that USB port specifically. My Rift S used to do the same thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Are you playing where your lighthouses can't see you? That's the usual reason I've seen that happen for me (but it's rare).

Also check the cable connection at the headset. It took me almost a year before I realized I could access it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nocheez posted:

Are you playing where your lighthouses can't see you? That's the usual reason I've seen that happen for me (but it's rare).

Similar thing if you're playing next to a large reflective surface. My basement has a sliding glass door and that can cause trouble if I get too close.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well the first thing I tried was plugging one of my lighthouses into another outlet, because it had gone out. I think I have bad wiring along that wall because I've had a space heater stop on me when I plug it in there too. I tried another outlet and it's on and working, but I had the same issue. Again, my Rift S also had random disconnects and it used to be plugged into the same USB port (which I'm no longer using).

But :shrug: I'll see how it works later. The only other thing I can figure is my lighting situation. Does it need to be super bright for proper tracking?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like to play with the lights off. Lighthouses don’t care.

e: Well, I take that back, maybe bright sunlight will interfere with the infrared laser pattern?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Well the first thing I tried was plugging one of my lighthouses into another outlet, because it had gone out. I think I have bad wiring along that wall because I've had a space heater stop on me when I plug it in there too. I tried another outlet and it's on and working, but I had the same issue. Again, my Rift S also had random disconnects and it used to be plugged into the same USB port (which I'm no longer using).

But :shrug: I'll see how it works later. The only other thing I can figure is my lighting situation. Does it need to be super bright for proper tracking?

So back in the day the vive would do this when one of the sensors went bad and if you covered said sensor with tape it "fixed" the issue.

But your rift S had the same issue tho. So it sounds like to me its USB in general potentially. Do you have heaps of USB stuff? What motherboard? Which chipset? Are you using any extension cables? Non active cables can do this as well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I found a second hand Quest 1 and picked it up for some same-account playing with my wife. Worst case scenario would be buying some on sale game using her FB account, but so far pretty much everything we want to play has same-account multiplayer. I tell myself that at least I didn't give facebook the money. :smithicide:

Not sure if it applies to Quest 1's or not, but as of 4-5 months back, the primary account on a Quest 2 can share their library with the sub-accounts on one(1) headset, allowing you to purchase a game once and play it together with someone else, but again, only if your account is the primary account on the headset they're using and you enable App Sharing on that headset.

There are a few games where the devs still say "gently caress you, buy the game twice" like Beat Saber, but here's a list that's pretty regularly updated:

https://casandchary.com/oculus-quest-app-sharing-list/

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of exercise, has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-F2-Circulation-Interface-Accumulation/dp/B099574TKJ?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

The cotton interface covers from VRCover just aren't enough when things start getting really intense, I need something more aggressive.

My friend has it. It basically prevents the lenses from fogging up when you do intense stuff. I don't think it's some kind of face A/C. Just get a sweat band for anti-sweat.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Nalin posted:

My friend has it. It basically prevents the lenses from fogging up when you do intense stuff. I don't think it's some kind of face A/C. Just get a sweat band for anti-sweat.

Speaking of sweat bands. I put one on recently to play and suddenly my headset was turning off shortly after I turned it on. I'd get a few dots then nothing. Nothing I did seemed to keep the device awake.. until I moved the sweat band up just a tiny bit. Turns out that it was black enough to not reflect for the small forehead sensor and it didn't think anything was in there, hence turning off.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

So back in the day the vive would do this when one of the sensors went bad and if you covered said sensor with tape it "fixed" the issue.

But your rift S had the same issue tho. So it sounds like to me its USB in general potentially. Do you have heaps of USB stuff? What motherboard? Which chipset? Are you using any extension cables? Non active cables can do this as well.

I have like every USB port taken up on the back of my computer, including a USB hub with a few things attached to that. There's one lone 3.0 on the front, and tonight I tried playing for a bit and everything seemed fine, played some Pistol Whip until I got worn out and then some Skyrim. Then when I was in Skyrim the audio just cut out. After taking the headset off I did notice that the USB plug was a little loose in the port, but I don't know that that was it. But I took a tiny clamp and secured the cord to the top of my desk to where it won't move unless I deliberately hit it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

I have like every USB port taken up on the back of my computer, including a USB hub with a few things attached to that. There's one lone 3.0 on the front, and tonight I tried playing for a bit and everything seemed fine, played some Pistol Whip until I got worn out and then some Skyrim. Then when I was in Skyrim the audio just cut out. After taking the headset off I did notice that the USB plug was a little loose in the port, but I don't know that that was it. But I took a tiny clamp and secured the cord to the top of my desk to where it won't move unless I deliberately hit it.

Can you, maybe, unplug a bunch of poo poo and give it a dedicated rear set of usb ports so it gets its own chipset ON the board? Its sounding more and more like usb.

Edit : Even just to test, if its not ideal for regular use.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 21, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah I had to rejigger my USBs a fair bit to make VR work on my new computer, even in ways that aren't completely intuitive.

Funnily the Surface Book I was using previously worked flawlessly out of the box, even with 2 high-speed USB SSDs (that have the game data) and a whole bunch of other peripherals attached.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally got v33 on both Quest and PC. Alas, right now I don't have a lot of time to try the new sharpening. Maybe this night I will use 15 minutes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Make up your loving mind!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Still with a OG Rift?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Still with a OG Rift?

Ye. Even disregarding the whole Facebook thing, none of the new headsets is a strict upgrade over it, so it feel bad to spend money on them.
They're all worse that OG Rift in some capacity.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Trades posted:

Ye. Even disregarding the whole Facebook thing, none of the new headsets is a strict upgrade over it, so it feel bad to spend money on them.
They're all worse that OG Rift in some capacity.

just dehumanize yourself and shed blood to facebook

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

just dehumanize yourself and shed blood to facebook

I would've been more tempted if there were any good PCVR releases in the recent times.
As of now I'm basically playing nothing but Pistol Whip and Beat Saber.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CV1 is still a Real Good headset in tyool 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm glad i never had to bother with lighthouses, to be honest. rift s then q2

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I used to think the other headsets weren't that much of an upgrade over CV1 until I actually put one on my head. Dunno about others, but RiftS and Quest1/2 are both way better IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The two things CV1 had over the Rift S were the bigger FOV and the original touch controllers. The CV1's controllers are unmatched for comfort and hand feel, and I don't know why no other controllers ever came close to that. The Rift S/Quest controllers are close but not close enough, and the Index controllers are really uncomfortable. They actually kind of make my hands cramp up trying to use them, and all so you can see your fingers move in a tiny handful of games.