Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arcsech posted:

Oh yeah, the Noodler’s guy is certifiable, but is generally more libertarian-flavored crazy than senile-tangerine-flavored. He does things like put out a “Berning Red” ink to call Bernie a communist, but AFAIK never did anything like coming out in favor of the Jan 6 coup attempt or anything. (Please correct me if I just never heard about something)

The thread consensus is “mostly harmless”, but of course follow your own conscience.

No, he did a poo poo brown ink called "The 45th" or similar, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gschmidl posted:

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

gschmidl posted:

That was a different company

https://vanness1938.com/products/penbbs-269-45th-potus-ink

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh. Then the best I have to offer are these two:

but he also did a Robert Muller one that's "red but washes to blue" so in conclusion he's a nutjob.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

gschmidl posted:

but he also did a Robert Muller one that's "red but washes to blue" so in conclusion he's a nutjob.

Had to find it:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah he's a loon.

But some of his inks are fantastic and they're drat cheap

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's come up a million times but there's a big moral gap between giving some money to a sovcit dork in New England who brews inks in his detached garage and, say, eating at Chic-fil-A or whatever. Just use the stupid ink if you like the color. I use a ton of his inks and he's probably made maybe $60 off of me in five years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Wait, is there something problematic about the 54th ink? I assumed it was a tribute to them

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a sincere question. I don't question the idea that the Noodlers guy holds strong libertarian opinions but is relatively harmless, given that he openly discusses the meaning behind some of the more controversial names of his inks (I'm a fan of Bernanke blue, myself) but doesn't seem to do much more than express opinions and make ink. But I'm unable to find any real "sovcit" (aka sovereign citizen) posts or opinions by him. Does anyone have any links to that info? I'm open to receiving PMs so that it doesn't clutter up the discussion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember watching one of his Youtube videos where he talked about not believing in raising prices... including his own suppliers. He said as soon as one of his suppliers (bottles?) talks about having to increase their prices slightly he begins shopping for someone else in a constant race to the bottom. It made me avoid his inks for a long while because it made me think he/ his suppliers cut corners on his stuff.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I remember watching one of his Youtube videos where he talked about not believing in raising prices... including his own suppliers. He said as soon as one of his suppliers (bottles?) talks about having to increase their prices slightly he begins shopping for someone else in a constant race to the bottom. It made me avoid his inks for a long while because it made me think he/ his suppliers cut corners on his stuff.

Prices on Noodler’s ink are going up in October supposedly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Professor Shark posted:

Wait, is there something problematic about the 54th ink? I assumed it was a tribute to them

No, those two were counterexamples (pro-Black, antifascist).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm, uh, not so sure the Churchill one means "antifascist" in the same way you might think

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Heath posted:

I'm, uh, not so sure the Churchill one means "antifascist" in the same way you might think

lol at the palmerston reference down in the corner, implying (probably accurately given he wanted to go on fighting the soviets after '45 lol) that Churchill was antifascist in that fascism threatened the empire.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:negative:

I just realized all this might come across as me trying to defend Tardif, with whom I've had and will continue to have zero interactions or transactions. This is not the case.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Discussing the political moral axis of fountain pen ink is kinda silly. Just use it if you like it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gschmidl posted:

:negative:

I just realized all this might come across as me trying to defend Tardif, with whom I've had and will continue to have zero interactions or transactions. This is not the case.

FWIW I don't think anyone including yourself is really looking to defend the guy, nor does anyone really need to - he's out there politically but it basically stops at the labelling of his ink bottles unless you want to get into whether the various features are a reflection of the politics, which would be a little weird. He's just an eccentric guy who pours that energy into making a lot of really interesting inks, and occasionally grumbles about the federal reserve system.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Electronaut posted:

Prices on Noodler’s ink are going up in October supposedly.

I guess I shoud stock up. I'm not digging the 54th though. Maybe I might get another bottle of sequoia or get a quick dry red.

Heath posted:

Discussing the political moral axis of fountain pen ink is kinda silly. Just use it if you like it.

that's a good take

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nathan Tardif sucks a whole lot but he's not an anomaly in the fountain pen community, at least the english speaking one.

I'd bet a fair few of the major figures in the industry hold similar views. Finding out that the absolutely vile man who owns 8chan and is probably Q is a big fountain pen guy was very demoralizing.

So, yes, never look up anything about anyone in this hobby.

Interestingly I looked up if Nathan Tardif had made any political donations and i could not find any. There's a good chance he's just buying gold and burying it and not actively worsening the world, at least.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
He’s a harmless weirdo. An actual small-government libertarian.
If it helps rationalise it, better buying noodlers and helping stimulate the economy where he lives than buying a bottle of something from Parker (Newell-Rubbermaid) and it vanishing into their inscrutable corporate pockets.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Oh yay, 25 new messages in the fountainpen thread! I wonder what Grack bought this time?
*opens thread*
oh. ah well :jerky:

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Now I want a DPRK pen full to the brim with Berning Red ink.
:blastback::bernpop::ussr::bernpop::blaster:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
When you think about it, he's ahead of the curve, since he was shouting about his political bullshit well before it was /an thing/ that internet peopole did.

Incidentally, someone refresh my memory: legal lapis, legal blue, and at least one other name were "exclusive" noodler's colors, but they were all the same. What was the third?

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

I saw some chat about Hobonichi planners a couple weeks ago and got an original Techo from Amazon just to wrap up the year (I'm trying to be better at planning my days out). It seems like there's more components to each daily page in the original compared to the English language Planner version. I don't have any understanding of Japanese characters, which I don't see being an issue for the general use of the planner, but do people in here find one more useful than the other in any regard?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Dudeabides posted:

I saw some chat about Hobonichi planners a couple weeks ago and got an original Techo from Amazon just to wrap up the year (I'm trying to be better at planning my days out). It seems like there's more components to each daily page in the original compared to the English language Planner version. I don't have any understanding of Japanese characters, which I don't see being an issue for the general use of the planner, but do people in here find one more useful than the other in any regard?

Pulled out two years, English 2019 and Japanese 2020. The English version has slightly bigger grid dimensions, drops the dedicate task check boxes at the top, drops the almost split in half vertical line, drops the dedicated food icon for the bottom rows, and only has a 12 mark at the middle of the page compared to the every 3 hour marks in the Japanese one, plus the quotes are in English. The English one feels a little more open because of all these things. I do like the slightly bigger grid spacing for writing in but then miss the dedicate task check boxes at the top. I no longer use a Hobonichi (A6 or A5) and use a different planner setup since May 2020.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 20, 2021

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

gschmidl posted:

I have a bottle of Anti Fascist Blue (anti feather blue) I picked up from Dromgoole’s before it become generally available. I can’t tell it apart from Kung Te-Cheng.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Penbbs. Now that's a company that knows how to make good political and funny statements with ink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Now we just need Dr. Bronner's to get it on the ink game

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dudeabides posted:

Do you have a link to the product? No matter how much I search Amazon, the only thing that shows up is 2021 planners. :iiam:

I want to switch to one in 2022 and I can understand Japanese enough to use it, so the Japanese version is cool to me.

If anyone has a link to a reputable store, I’d love it. :wotwot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

Now we just need Dr. Bronner's to get it on the ink game

I looked him up once.

He lost his family to the Holocaust and was put through electroshock treatments (which he thought made him blind) :smith:

But he somehow never lost faith in humanity, and still believed there was good in everyone despite that :unsmith:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you have a link to the product? No matter how much I search Amazon, the only thing that shows up is 2021 planners. :iiam:

I want to switch to one in 2022 and I can understand Japanese enough to use it, so the Japanese version is cool to me.

If anyone has a link to a reputable store, I’d love it. :wotwot:

Jet pens. Anderson pens. 1101.con if you want to order from Japan.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The Electronaut posted:

Jet pens. Anderson pens. 1101.con if you want to order from Japan.

Perfect thanks! Was less expensive to order from Japan, and shipping was actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Doctor Zero posted:

Mine is 2021. I figured I'd do a trial run and see if it was a good fit for the rest of the year and then I can splurge on 2022.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dudeabides posted:

Mine is 2021. I figured I'd do a trial run and see if it was a good fit for the rest of the year and then I can splurge on 2022.

I see. It looks like the 2022 haven't been shipped over to the States yet from what I can see. Jet Pens says it's 'Out of Stock' but Anderson Pens says it's 'Coming Soon'. The Japanese store had nearly all of them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got mine today!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I ordered a 2022 from JetPens, but it hasn't shipped yet, which makes me unduly nervous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

iospace posted:

Got mine today!

Ooooh that's nice!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Oh I guess the collectible aspect is kind of like goshuincho.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

iospace posted:

Got mine today!

Love it. Waiting on mine from Japan since I ordered a flower cover for my mom and it doesn't come out till the end of the month. I ordered like three covers, including that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone here have the Lamy 2000? I'm looking to upgrade from the Metropolitan, but was wondering if anyone has noticed a measurable difference in quality between the mid-range pens and the cheaper pens.

Edited for clarity.

LiterallyATomato fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 20, 2021