Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Don't worry. You'll die of thirst weeks before you die of starvation.

do i really have to wait multiple weeks before i get to die again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Buffer posted:

The thing that hit me recently is the realization that thermonuclear war is one of the softer landings for the species at this point - if it happens soon enough to effectively de-industrialize and end emissions anyway. Except lol, no, even that wouldn't be enough w/o some magical carbon capture tech after the exchange.

That's some dark poo poo.

Hahaha yesssss join me in the final ping, where it is our moral responsibility, our duty above all other things to initiate the complete annihilation of civilization as rapidly as possible. Hopefully some jungle rodents will survive this millennium that way.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

mawarannahr posted:

where do you draw the line for individual responsibility? what if you work for an oil company? obviously being a clerk or pump attendant has no degree of responsibility. how about a regional manager? a marketing executive at international headquarters? the children of executives who have benefited disproportionately from said system?

Its honestly a tricky issue because factually, yes, by simply existing in a western society I have consumption habits that make me a problem, I just like to tell myself that my individual contribution is meaningless in the face of the bigger polluters out there. So I am also guilty, just non meaningfully guilty - i dont know what else to say.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Conspiratiorist posted:

Out of curiosity, how old are you and what do you consider "most of the worst effects"?

I am 36 so I will most definetly see some poo poo before the end. I am just selfishly hoping it will be "bad poo poo that happens on the other side of the world in the news" and not a local version of thunderdome

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

that’s bad but it’s horrible a mega tsunami didn’t take out the eastern seaboard

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Captain Gordon posted:

So I am also guilty, just non meaningfully guilty

I'm so guilty I literally exhale co2

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Captain Gordon posted:

I am 36 so I will most definetly see some poo poo before the end. I am just selfishly hoping it will be "bad poo poo that happens on the other side of the world in the news" and not a local version of thunderdome

If you're a wealthy computer toucher you might get away with it!

But expect an irrecoverable economic depression and supply chain disruptions on basic goods in your area starting this decade. Wealth means you get to still live relatively comfortably while you watch the poors around you die on the streets.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

where do you draw the line for individual responsibility? what if you work for an oil company? obviously being a clerk or pump attendant has no degree of responsibility. how about a regional manager? a marketing executive at international headquarters? the children of executives who have benefited disproportionately from said system?

there is no individual responsibility, it's just more cope

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rah! posted:

do i really have to wait multiple weeks before i get to die again

u have to wait at least a full season before u get to die again and be replaced with whatever actor the studio thinks will rate better with target demographics

im on to your tomfoolery, time lord

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

500 good dogs posted:

there is no individual responsibility, it's just more cope

I prefer the term 'collective responsibility' when I advocate climate justice targeting specific groups.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the most disappointing thing about all this is that all of my personal sacrifices* were in vain

*meatless mondays once a month

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Captain Gordon posted:

I really dont understand this point of view. There is plenty I still want to do for myself in this life, climate change or not. If I am lucky, most of the worst effects wont happen till after I am dead. There is also absolutely nothing I can do about any of this and I am not directly responsible for decades of bad neglectful climate policy, so I can sleep easy at night. I dont have kids and am not planning to have any, so that is someone elses problem to be honest. And if you are having kids fully knowing whats around the corner, lol, lmao - I guess your children will truly know what its like to be owned.

You can rattle your tiny cage all you want, but no one is listening and the world is already dead, so I am not sure what you are trying to achieve by being miserable about it. Go out and have some fun!

I'm sorry, I just ran out of antidepressants for a little while there, getting caught up.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Captain Gordon posted:

Man, I wish I could roll the clock back five years to before I started reading the papers on how rapidly things are going to unravel. What an innocent time. :allears:

E: I'm not being snarky, it really was a nice time. It's really hard for me to enjoy hiking or anything anymore. :(

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Doom thread playlist submissions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwMtfS0Tqr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg6goayNUNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duPQ87JLO8s

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rime posted:

Man, I wish I could roll the clock back five years to before I started reading the papers on how rapidly things are going to unravel. What an innocent time. :allears:

E: I'm not being snarky, it really was a nice time. It's really hard for me to enjoy hiking or anything anymore. :(

This is the soul-splitter for me. I grew up nearly unsupervised running around in the woods and now no matter where I go I am stunned be the stillness and emptiness of "nature." There is no nature. It's gone. If you think you see some brave creature surviving in its own way you are wrong, what you see is a lonely ghost, a lost remnant of a world that is long faded in the rearview mirror.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Someone remake the dome video but only 5 minutes so it can actually hold my attention

Only takes 4! thanks for having me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXRaTnKDXA&t

Summarized into 6 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EBBqbeqIM

LionArcher posted:

I posted something there and somebody asked what happened to me being crack pinged and dissing Biden and I said c spam and Delta.
which is true. you folks are real ones.
feels like we’re all the musicians on the titanic towards the end.
I do remember getting really :arghfist:mad:arghfist: at you, poster (your avatar is quite memorable), while reading the other thread in like 2019 and maybe early 2020.

gently caress yea :crackping::respek::crackping:

tiberion02 has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Sep 20, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

Even if you didn't, it's very noticeable for even the most innocent rube. like forests and hills are just completely dead and silent now, and dry as a bone. maybe you'll hear a bird or two, and probably some ants. actually leaving the 'burbs/city and going out into nature is the most starkest contrast to how bad things are.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Car Hater posted:

This is the soul-splitter for me. I grew up nearly unsupervised running around in the woods and now no matter where I go I am stunned be the stillness and emptiness of "nature." There is no nature. It's gone. If you think you see some brave creature surviving in its own way you are wrong, what you see is a lonely ghost, a lost remnant of a world that is long faded in the rearview mirror.

same

it's not that bad, yet

(in canada)

but

there are a lot fewer bugs and stuff than there used to be

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

feels like we’re all the musicians on the titanic towards the end.

I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of lols, a prisoner in my lmaos.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe
i remember we used to have to wash the car after driving more than 10 minutes outside of town because so many bugs would be splattered on it. i think it's been years since I heard a large bug SPLAT on the windshield.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My failed attempts at hedonism leave me in awe of the belief that one can simply have fun or be happy after having looked into the abyss. Crack-pinging over and over until my brain looks like it has one of those nice crackle finishes has left me in the opposite camp. Humans deserve to suffer proportional to their consumption, and the only good those of us in the first world can do is pass that suffering upwards.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Car Hater posted:

My failed attempts at hedonism leave me in awe of the belief that one can simply have fun or be happy after having looked into the abyss. Crack-pinging over and over until my brain looks like it has one of those nice crackle finishes has left me in the opposite camp. Humans deserve to suffer proportional to their consumption, and the only good those of us in the first world can do is pass that suffering upwards.

:ok:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Spergin Morlock posted:

i remember we used to have to wash the car after driving more than 10 minutes outside of town because so many bugs would be splattered on it. i think it's been years since I heard a large bug SPLAT on the windshield.

i havent cleaned a single bug off my windshield in like 6+ years lol

now tree sperm on the other hand... gently caress trees.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://twitter.com/sawyerhackett/status/1439976012188692496?s=21
https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1439989195871825921
https://twitter.com/johnholman100/status/1439948289680363527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFnKJqcPks

maybe not strictly climate news but remember that last month Haiti suffered a bunch of disasters (tropical storm, flooding, earthquake, slides) on top of political/economic stuff happening. feels like one of those more and worse things happening.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Xaris posted:

Even if you didn't, it's very noticeable for even the most innocent rube. like forests and hills are just completely dead and silent now, and dry as a bone. maybe you'll hear a bird or two, and probably some ants. actually leaving the 'burbs/city and going out into nature is the most starkest contrast to how bad things are.

It's really really bad now. It used to be that I had to cross into the high-alpine, above the treeline, and on a wind less day to get that "Deafening Silence" effect - where the lack of any sound other than your own is so profound that it becomes its own sensory effect and spreads to your other senses. You can feel it pressing in on you when you're particular high up.

Last trip, last week, we got that effect while sitting at a sub-alpine lake at noon. The blue and huckle berry bushes were full to bursting, pounds and pounds of berries. Mushrooms where everywhere, but we heard no birds and saw no scat from any smaller animals. Nothing was being eaten. There were no mosquitos or blackflies to taunt us, and there should have been. In the boulder fields where marmots should have been playing and making alarm calls as we got close, there was nothing.

It was deeply unsettling. This was an area I've visited several times since 2013, on roughly the same week each time, I know what it should be like up there.

Rime has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Sep 20, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Erghh posted:

https://twitter.com/sawyerhackett/status/1439976012188692496?s=21
https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1439989195871825921
https://twitter.com/johnholman100/status/1439948289680363527
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFnKJqcPks

maybe not strictly climate news but remember that last month Haiti suffered a bunch of disasters (tropical storm, flooding, earthquake, slides) on top of political/economic stuff happening. feels like one of those more and worse things happening.

This is definitely climate related because this is how our "Most Progressive President" is handling increased flows of migrants when climate refugees are going to make these numbers look like nothing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Car Hater posted:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

The blue and huckle berry bushes were full to bursting, pounds and pounds of berries. Mushrooms where everywhere

Hunting may be hampered by that whole "4% of mammal biomass is wild" stat but gathering is back on bay-bee

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Cascade Failure posted:

I, as well, already regret bookmarking this thread. Watched the dome video and found myself just kinda going "Yep, sounds about right".

To contribute, for extra lols check out this 1,000 page report from the prestigious (no, really) Geological Survey of Finland on replacing existing fossil fuels as an energy source: https://tupa.gtk.fi/raportti/arkisto/42_2021.pdf

From the abstract:

Lmao at the last sentence. hosed indeed and the author knows it lol.

lot of lols to be had in this but I liked this at the very end

attention all problem solvers, innovators, thinkfluencers, and hot take artists: we need YOU to design a magic energy source that's more efficient than oil and doesn't need an asteroid belt's worth of lithium as an energy buffer.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zohar posted:

lot of lols to be had in this but I liked this at the very end

attention all problem solvers, innovators, thinkfluencers, and hot take artists: we need YOU to design a magic energy source that's more efficient than oil and doesn't need an asteroid belt's worth of lithium as an energy buffer.

so you're saying there's a chance :haw:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Cold on a Cob posted:

I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of lols, a prisoner in my lmaos.

Congratulations on your discovery of absurdist philosophy.

quote:

How then to remain consistent with absurd reasoning and avoid falling victim to the “spirit of nostalgia”? The Myth of Sisyphus finds the answer by abandoning the terrain of philosophy altogether. Camus describes a number of absurdist fictional characters and activities, including Don Juan and Dostoevsky’s Kirolov (The Possessed), theater, and literary creation. And then he concludes with the story of Sisyphus, who fully incarnates a sense of life’s absurdity, its “futility and hopeless labor”. Camus sees Sisyphus’s endless effort and intense consciousness of futility as a triumph. “His scorn of the gods, his hatred of death, and his passion for life won him that unspeakable penalty in which the whole being is exerted toward accomplishing nothing”. After the dense and highly self-conscious earlier chapters, these pages condense the entire line of thought into a vivid image. Sisyphus demonstrates that we can live with “the certainty of a crushing fate, without the resignation that ought to accompany it”. For Camus, Sisyphus reminds us that we cannot help seeking to understand the reality that transcends our intelligence, striving to grasp more than our limited and practical scientific understanding allows, and wishing to live without dying. Like Sisyphus, we are our fate, and our frustration is our very life: we can never escape it.

Lol. Lmao.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This is definitely climate related because this is how our "Most Progressive President" is handling increased flows of migrants when climate refugees are going to make these numbers look like nothing.

they’ll start mowing them down in the next administration

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

mawarannahr posted:

everyone who interacts with commodity dynamics shares some responsibility.

liberals are responsible cuz capitalism is their project, but they're also stupid babies who haven't had any real agency for generations. they don't know any better and are just blindly following systemic incentives into a mass grave.

ultimate responsibility falls to the revleft that failed to get its poo poo together. communism is the only thing that could ever have saved the world, and our inability to make it happen in the face of its obvious objective necessity is also the failure of the human species to justify its continued existence.

and all of that is just fine. retroactively, from the point of view of the MEE that had already happened, humans were always an evolutionary dead end. if you can't rationally regulate your metabolism with nature, you don't have a long term future as a species, the end.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

splifyphus posted:

everyone who interacts with commodity dynamics shares some responsibility.

liberals are responsible cuz capitalism is their project, but they're also stupid babies who haven't had any real agency for generations. they don't know any better and are just blindly following systemic incentives into a mass grave.

ultimate responsibility falls to the revleft that failed to get its poo poo together. communism is the only thing that could ever have saved the world, and our inability to make it happen in the face of its obvious objective necessity is also the failure of the human species to justify its continued existence.

and all of that is just fine. retroactively, from the point of view of the MEE that had already happened, humans were always an evolutionary dead end. if you can't rationally regulate your metabolism with nature, you don't have a long term future as a species, the end.

I think communism being undercut by countless people who knew what was up regarding human- nature metabolism and still undermined revolution out of personal cowardice/desire to gain has to be given its due as well. Solidarity is reciprocal and to say any single political actor could’ve gone it alone to fix things had they just done better isn’t fair. Sincere communists were left holding the bag by people who knew better (alongside their own unfortunate if understandable failures)

I do think apportioning blame still matters so there’s a historical record that a specific subset of humanity knowingly hosed up and didn’t give a drat. Even if the only significance it ends up having is aliens advanced enough to come across it just go “lmao” and move on.

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Sep 21, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Even if the only significance it ends up having is aliens advanced enough to come across it just go “lmao” and move on.

Cope: Joking about aliens discovering our remains as a way of assigning some kind of relevance to our actions. A modern day "remember me" rattled from the throat of a dying race.

Woke: Realizing there may never be another intelligence which is aware of and contextualizes our existence once we are gone, rendering us so totally absent from the universe that it will be as if we never existed at all.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Rime posted:

Cope: Joking about aliens discovering our remains as a way of assigning some kind of relevance to our actions. A modern day "remember me" rattled from the throat of a dying race.

Woke: Realizing there may never be another intelligence which is aware of and contextualizes our existence once we are gone, rendering us so totally absent from the universe that it will be as if we never existed at all.

I'm petty enough to play the blame game for the infinitesimal chance that it does get contextualized. Plus it's funny.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly we were hosed when Caveman X told Caveman Y about how he found this flammable black mud in a hollow

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Frankly we were hosed when Caveman X told Caveman Y about how he found this flammable black mud in a hollow

yeah well gently caress that guy

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mameluke posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I were, the most intelligent species in my ecosystem, I would simply not exceed its carrying capacity