Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think just this page probably has more inspection and analysis of the federation than went into the entire planning process of Picard and disco so far combined

I may be wrong but it all seems slapdash not an attempt to make some high minded statement about empires

Lmfao what a snipe. Ok last page then.

poo poo, it still might be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Bloop posted:

I think just this page probably has more inspection and analysis of the federation than went into the entire planning process of Picard and disco so far combined

I may be wrong but it all seems slapdash not an attempt to make some high minded statement about empires

Lmfao what a snipe. Ok last page then.

poo poo, it still might be true.

I don't disagree, almost everything I could use in support of my post is drawn from DS9, Enterprise, TNG, etc.

Picard and Disco suffer precisely because they are so vacuous.

Killer robot posted:

Being the British Space Empire is more humane when you can just scan the spices and artifacts for replicators and holodecks. Or to put it another way, Space Manifest Destiny is more humane when you can put up frontier outposts on genuinely empty lands rather than territory you recently depopulated through war and disease.

Both of which are problematic as hell, to be fair, but it's core of what the Federation always was even if it's not a speech a noble Starfleet captain would make at the climax of an episode.. And nothing inherently wrong with exploring "What conflicts and dilemmas come up if you have an Age of Exploration that isn't inherently fueled by exploitation and conquest?"

This is something I really wanted modern Trek to explore. Its refusal to do so inevitably reminds me of the real-life progressive left's failure to articulate a coherent and hopeful vision of the future and work towards it rather than relying purely on doomscrolling to motivate and engage donors/voters.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 20, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

this circles back around to the core issue: it is easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism. we see that in the writers room. they do not know how to envision this society, and are forcing problems that do not fit onto it because many of them are caused by capital. you point this out yourself on the previous page, with the US entering the forever war they are only supposed to threaten because it was a politically convenient way of transferring wealth through pork barrel spending. the middle eastern plunder writ large was just icing on the cake

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Paper Lion posted:

this circles back around to the core issue: it is easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism. we see that in the writers room. they do not know how to envision this society, and are forcing problems that do not fit onto it because many of them are caused by capital. you point this out yourself on the previous page, with the US entering the forever war they are only supposed to threaten because it was a politically convenient way of transferring wealth through pork barrel spending. the middle eastern plunder writ large was just icing on the cake

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember someone in one of the other threads saying they sympathized with Eddington's remarks about the Federation being a Borg-like entity that encroaches on the identity if not the sovereignty of its neighbors, and when I pressed them for "what would a successful interstellar civilization that didn't do that look like?" they admitted they couldn't give me an answer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Epicurius posted:

Gelrakians aside, both Vulcans and Andorians fight duels to the death too, and they're founding Federation members, and both the Federation and some of its member worlds have or have had the death penalty in the past. Ultimately, I think it's that the Federation doesn't really interfere with the internal politics or culture of its members, so long as they grant their citizens certain civil and personal rights.

Worf explicitly slid on beaming over to a Klingon ship and killing Duras because he did so off-duty, so it was legally an internal Klingon cultural matter and not a Starfleet officer murdering a Klingon fleet officer. And even then Picard came very close to dropping the hammer on Worf if it'd been anyone but the walking piece of poo poo known as Duras.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
The Klingons are Federation allies, but not members, right? It’s possible that the Gelrackians were establishing contact and an alliance with the Federation, rather than being full members.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also the hard-fought restrictions on Cardassian militarization in the border region might not actually have been honored on the Cardassian side. That's the neat twist hinted at the end of the TNG Cardassian episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6-eGDpimU

The relation between the Federation and the Cardassians stayed tense and on the brink up until the Dominion wiped out and took over Cardassia, and it's doubtful how long the peace that the Federation dearly bought would've lasted.

Quoting this for the mislinked youtube video about using soap wrong.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Problematic Soup posted:

The Klingons are Federation allies, but not members, right?

Right. TNG's first two seasons allude to them as members, and the early TNG writers' bible says they joined the Federation, but they retconned that to just being allies in the third season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Quoting this for the mislinked youtube video about using soap wrong.

It is a good video though.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you have a starship with the energy available to warp space for superliminal travel, then rendering a planet uninhabitable is trivial. Especially if you have tractor beams.

just start warp near planet surface and do a round the world trip

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

True that.

The guy's series on the evolution of the design of hurricane lamps was a great watch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What I learned will maybe be of use to me someday if I live somewhere with a dishwasher again. Currently on a basically no-soap (or maybe a little of whatever mysterious blue dish soap nobody bought) regiment of hand-washing dishes with burning hot water.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
People on the reddits are now arguing if a background young black actress in TNG is Mariner.

They can’t decide whether the person suggesting it and those agreeing are saying it only because they’re both black, or because the show is a bombardment of references and visual gags and Mike McMahan would do that.

I honestly don’t know.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do they have to pay writers every time they reference some episode or is that not really a thing? Or are they going to hide behind parody fair use of their own properties?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Do they have to pay writers every time they reference some episode or is that not really a thing? Or are they going to hide behind parody fair use of their own properties?

I think it was brought up earlier that this is the apocryphal reason Tom Paris was created as a new character, but IIRC it was debunked?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This has been pretty well debunked. The actual reason is that Locarno was eventually decided to be irredeemable. They wanted a character who’s had a rough past, not someone who was responsible for covering up the deaths of his classmates.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
But Paris’s backstory still involved him falsifying records that covered up his pilot error and the deaths he caused in a shuttle accident. It’s literally the exact same event, just slightly reworded.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Looking it up, it seems like it was Locarno’s actions and portrayal in the TNG episode that was what cemented him as irredeemable. Paris’s were offscreen and never brought up outside of the pilot (heh) so there’s more space for the character to be fleshed out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Like much of Voyager it's pretty clear they got quite far down an original plan of probably casting McNeill first and saying "well he can play that character he already played who was a pilot" and then at some point the problems with that plan were realised and they went for the lowest effort sticking plaster imaginable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that is extremely Voyager if true, yes

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

it could have been an issue if it was a spec script character or something but staff writer contributions are a lot easier to defend as being something belonging to the show that they can own and reuse as they wish. i would assume staff contracts had clauses about work produced belonging to the studio.

i wish more fat people were in star trek

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Paper Lion posted:

it could have been an issue if it was a spec script character or something but staff writer contributions are a lot easier to defend as being something belonging to the show that they can own and reuse as they wish. i would assume staff contracts had clauses about work produced belonging to the studio.

i wish more fat people were in star trek

Same. Happy to see that the Tamarians seem to run consistently chubby, at least.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paper Lion posted:

With staff writers, yes, that's considered work for hire and they don't retain any ownership. Jeri Taylor decided that Locarno had gone too far down a dark path (understandable, considering he conspired to cover up the death of a classmate) and was considered irredeemable as a character, but the producers really liked Robert Duncan McNeill as an actor so just gave Paris a similar backstory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised they missed a shared-universe trick by not having Paris talk about his 20th century ancestor who was a master magician, then showing a picture of Leonard Nimoy.

Nimoy played The Great Paris in sister Desilu/Paramount show Mission: Impossible right after TOS ended

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

Just realised they missed a shared-universe trick by not having Paris talk about his 20th century ancestor who was a master magician, then showing a picture of Leonard Nimoy.

Nimoy played The Great Paris in sister Desilu/Paramount show Mission: Impossible right after TOS ended

Roddenberry and Geller hated each other, that would have been amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
paramount plus is such poo poo, doesn't even remember where you were in an episode you started but didn't finish. trash

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

paramount plus is such poo poo, doesn't even remember where you were in an episode you started but didn't finish. trash

It really is a garbage app

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Hilarious that Voyager producers go "Lacarno is irredeemable" while DS9 producers are pulling out their hair because fans love their ersatz Lizard Hitler.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Greatest Gen guys love to poo poo on the Paramount Plus app. And before that, the CBS AA app. Which I agree wholeheartedly with.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My favorite part about Paramount+ is that because I skipped the credits on season 1, episode 6 of Lower Decks it means that whenever I go to the Lower Decks page it starts autoplaying episode 6, and I have to manually turn that off, switch to season 2, and then click on the latest episode.

Then after I'm done watching it then it starts autoplaying season 2, episode 4 of Discovery.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Brawnfire posted:

It really is a garbage app

Are there any stream apps apart from Netflix that are good. CBS/Paramount sucks, Hulu sucks, Amazon is awful

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

tubi

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Amazon is god-awful, yeah. Let's separate the seasons!

Uh I guess Disney+ works alright but it's slow as balls for me

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

Are there any stream apps apart from Netflix that are good. CBS/Paramount sucks, Hulu sucks, Amazon is awful

The actual streaming part of Netflix is okay but the library browsing is still god-awful.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God-awful is the word of the day!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Netflix is the only one I would call acceptable

and as mentioned, it's a huge pain to find anything. With all of these services, if it's not a recently added thing or a new show, forget finding it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

Netflix works fine when you're using its dedicated app on a smart TV. Using it with a mouse in a browser on a real computer is an exercise in UI frustration.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

skasion posted:

At least Amazon seperates into seasons and knows where you left off and will play in order.

Unlike Disney that assumes nothing and makes you navigate loads of screens to get to what you were watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is why I subscribe to all the services and still :filez: everything. I just wish Plex had a more robust playstation app