Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

because i want to sort them by my own categories

it wants to be able to display them based on date? cool, use the loving metadata, not my loving folders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

plus, if i upload some photos by dragging them into the folder in file explorer, that obviously doesn't automatically sort them, so it'll end up as a gross mix of both

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i also like to store 1 million files directly on the root of C:\

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Use one of the many software applications designed for organizing and sorting photos by metadata instead of expecting your file browser to do it for you.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

Use one of the many software applications designed for organizing and sorting photos by metadata instead of expecting your file browser to do it for you.

do you remember the part where i said i was using synology photos and just using file explorer to drag them onto the server

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

hbag posted:

do you remember the part where i said i was using synology photos and just using file explorer to drag them onto the server
do you remember the part where if you don't like what the software you are currently using is doing to your files, perhaps use other software

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Do you remember, your President Nixon? Do you remember, the bills you have to pay? Or even yesterday?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

wish your posts would go down that rainbow way

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

switch to haiku and use the powerful file management features https://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/attributes.html

https://youtu.be/KlOi-L-N0X4

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

loving around with QuickDraw 3D

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1440604185548902404

also have a Performa 6360 coming to serve as a remote debugging target for my Mac stuff.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

loving around with QuickDraw 3D

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1440604185548902404

also have a Performa 6360 coming to serve as a remote debugging target for my Mac stuff.
Powerplant...oh my...that brings back distance memories

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
quickdraw 3D just makes me think of Gerbils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ5Qd3_hs5s

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

anyone have experience with motorized potentiometers/faders?

I got the stupid idea to build my own midi controller yesterday and if I'm going to do it I'd might as well go all out

i plan on making it a 5-10 channel controller with 6 motorized pots per channel with a motorized fader. i was thinking of a bar oled screen for each set of pots/fader so that you can see what it controls, i.e. midi CC, what channel it is, etc. and a simple built in screen/ui for changing channels

i'll prob make a prototype without the motorized parts first since that's a whole lot easier and still has most of the functionality i want. for control im thinking i'll need an fpga to get the required number of i/o, or i can just use a mux with the adc that will be used to sense the pots, since 8-10 bit adcs are cheap even at the 100s of khz range .i can build a simple front end for it using labview since i have tons of experience with that.

the big thing that's spurring me one is 1: stuff on the market doesn't typically have tons of knobs/channels and show what each one does, and 2: i want to be able to easily switch between channels for each lane. 3: it's a fun project and projects are cool and good

something like this:

make each channel a separate pcb so it's modular starting with 1 to test. controller would be a rotary knob with 4 directions to minimize buttons etc.

friend has been doing a lot of woodworking/engraving/cutting and has offered to make me knobs/enclosure of whatever I want with whatever I want on it so I'm def going to take him up on that.

and yes I know this is insane and will be expensive but it's (likely) to be a one off and it lets me retain knowledge that I'll lose if I don't use and my job doesn't involve this kind of stuff

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Maybe you can look through http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=fadercore_-_fadermodule_for_audio_daw for some inspiration
midibox was the best place for help building crazy custom midi controllers back in the day but it looks like a lot of it is outdated now

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Midjack posted:

you're actually doing something with yours! many of us get an old box, play around with it for a few days to reminisce about what it was like when computers were still fun, and then realize it's actually pretty hard to do anything worthwhile or fun on it without an ecosystem of support for it, and then stick it in a corner or sell it on to someone else.
I'm still not exactly sure what my plan was with some of the Apollo program hardware I bought. Great, electronics that don't work. Can't bring myself to just toss them, though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I’m sure some museum somewhere would exhibit it even if it’s just some random Apollo test equipment.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Maybe you can look through http://wiki.midibox.org/doku.php?id=fadercore_-_fadermodule_for_audio_daw for some inspiration
midibox was the best place for help building crazy custom midi controllers back in the day but it looks like a lot of it is outdated now

cool thanks

yeah i've been throwing it around in my head some today while doing other stuff and i have a pretty good idea of how to make each module so that I can just put together however many I want

a lot of i/o but that can be pretty easily solved with some mux

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m sure some museum somewhere would exhibit it even if it’s just some random Apollo test equipment.

Yeah it's probably best homed in https://thehollywoodmuseum.com/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I'm still not exactly sure what my plan was with some of the Apollo program hardware I bought. Great, electronics that don't work. Can't bring myself to just toss them, though.

you might want to get in touch with CuriousMarc, he restores old and rare computers and test equipment etc. with a couple of friends and they go way, way in-depth on it

https://youtube.com/c/CuriousMarc

he surely has a few contacts in the Apollo flight hardware scene, might know a good home for it and get a few interesting videos out of it, documenting it for everyone

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Spent more time thinking about the controller yesterday and the current prototype layout is this:

For an 8 channel mode with 6 knobs per channel, two faders to control L/R balance, and buttons for mute/solo

16 channel mode, assignable 0-6 knobs per pair of channels.

I have the majority of parts specc'd now. BOM is around ~$140 per 2/4 channels. So a full 8/16 channel would be somewhere around $8-900 to build, including other things needed.

I'll make some simple diffused PMMA rings to go around the knobs and faders to have addressable RGB LEDs for each, and the OLED screen will be a high contrast single color one that will show for instance midi CC and current value, channel, etc

each pair of rows will have it's own microcontroller, which will pass information on to the one that will communicate over USB, though I may be able to remove those and run it all off of a single controller. We'll see.

I still have a block of USB IDs so I can just throw one on for that then go through the awful WHQL process at some point if I ever decide to sell them or something

projects are fun!

edit:

I still really want to do it like this

I'm going to see how readable those little OLED screens really are, but I think they should be reasonable, and a 2 line one lets me use it for 2 knobs

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ordered some different audio pots to try, some faders, buttons, and 6 different oled displays

will get a simple prototype going and then ramp it up from there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what about endless encoders? theyre super cheap now and personally i cannot stand potentiometers for midi CC

e: i hope you bought linear curve pots instead of audio curve

e2: oh you're doing motorized pots right? in which case encoders may not be necessary

e3: just wanted to edit once more

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

some nice editin' there

i bought linear curve not audio ones

yeah endless are def better for non motorized. prototype won't have motor ones because I'm cheap and I'll need to figure out that extra complexity in time anyway. if i decide to stay with non motor i'll put in endless tho for sure. part of the display will have the current CC level so you aren't just turning it one way for no reason if it's already min/max

e: not really an edit but seems like the cool thing to do

e2: real edit this time went ahead and ordered some endless because why not. pcbs are so incredibly cheap to get made now that who cares.

also tired of my coffee grinder spewing grounds everywhere because of static build up so I'm going to build an antistatic thing in to it. hopefully 2 kV is enough. i've built instruments that use 30 kV and it will have an interlock.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 27, 2021

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tired: bustin' makes me feel good

wired: editin' makes me feel good

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

yeah endless are def better for non motorized. prototype won't have motor ones because I'm cheap and I'll need to figure out that extra complexity in time anyway. if i decide to stay with non motor i'll put in endless tho for sure. part of the display will have the current CC level so you aren't just turning it one way for no reason if it's already min/max
you could try something like https://www.mikroe.com/rotary-g-click which includes an LED indication ring around a rotary encoder. that way you can show the current value directly near the knob but also support things like 'high resolution' mode where the rotation doesn't directly map to position.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

fankey posted:

you could try something like https://www.mikroe.com/rotary-g-click which includes an LED indication ring around a rotary encoder. that way you can show the current value directly near the knob but also support things like 'high resolution' mode where the rotation doesn't directly map to position.

that's pretty neat, but I think the packaging would be too large in this case. besides I can have bars fill up to show mix/max anyway on the screens

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Thread: when you have a DC system capable of doing high double digits of amperes

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1442646480620122114

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

that's pretty neat, but I think the packaging would be too large in this case. besides I can have bars fill up to show mix/max anyway on the screens

yeah that thing is pretty huge. I did find this crazy thing - https://www.shanpu.com.tw/en/product/series/SBA_round-ring-LED-indicator where it has a hole in it for the rotary encoder to pass through. long ago I programmed oxmoor knobs via rs485 so I’ve always loved led rings. :corsair:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Thread: when you have a DC system capable of doing high double digits of amperes

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1442646480620122114

weird, but the simplest solution is to throw your printer in the garbage

fankey posted:

yeah that thing is pretty huge. I did find this crazy thing - https://www.shanpu.com.tw/en/product/series/SBA_round-ring-LED-indicator where it has a hole in it for the rotary encoder to pass through. long ago I programmed oxmoor knobs via rs485 so I’ve always loved led rings. :corsair:

that's really cool and if i wasn't using displays I'd think about doing that

i see the pin out and think ugh 24 different leds to control, and then think about displays and what's really going on in them and it's like whoa. shift registers and whatnot are really neat

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

could you also just get something like an isolated psu for the printer? not sure if that'd work or not.

in other news, i was talking to my dad and when he heard i was making a controller he asked me to make something for him for use with open sdr. he's big in to shortwave radio stuff and wants a console to use instead of monitors a mouse etc. he's using a nuc right now to run it and i suggested he put a single board pc in it with some flavor of amd processor, a touch screen, and some knobs/sliders/buttons to control things he routinely uses. he really wants something all in one that is portable and battery powered, so i guess i'll be looking in to that as well. might make sense to just buy a cheap laptop and put the entire board in to it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

spankmeister posted:

you might want to get in touch with CuriousMarc, he restores old and rare computers and test equipment etc. with a couple of friends and they go way, way in-depth on it

https://youtube.com/c/CuriousMarc

he surely has a few contacts in the Apollo flight hardware scene, might know a good home for it and get a few interesting videos out of it, documenting it for everyone
I'll check with a friend at a local science museum, and the YouTube guy if the museum isn't interested.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

I'll check with a friend at a local science museum, and the YouTube guy if the museum isn't interested.

I forgot to mention that they specifically restore Apollo hardware.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I am thinking about getting a NAS or if I can't find I like turning my PI into one, is there one that you all like?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I am thinking about getting a NAS or if I can't find I like turning my PI into one, is there one that you all like?

yes, i and about eight people are going to tell you to buy a synology - not the budget -j model but the one with a real CPU - and set it up and enjoy your fuckery-free storage. that was my best pandemic purchase

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i would not trust a raspberry pi with any form of raid hanging off USB connectors, but single disks will work fine.
i kinda like the hp microserver range if you want to roll your own nas solution
synology looks nice too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've been using a synology ds413 (so, 2013 4-drive model) pretty much continuously and it's been almost zero janitoring. did a preventative drive swap/upgrade at one point but that's about it. still gets regular OS updates too

the cpu is some underpowered powerpc thing iirc but it pushes the bits just fine for streaming linux isos and basic nfs duty afaict. still haven't had a reason to change it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yea if you dont need dockers on it, the cheaper ones are okay. but you knowwwwww, yospos bithc

Also if you use a mac and want to use it as a time machine dump, i strongly recommend buying one of the ones that have m2 slots for cache drives, then pick up two supercheap 256g nvme drives. it lets you run so many more iops and time machine backups go like 5x faster even if you're just on gigabit

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I forgot to mention that they specifically restore Apollo hardware.
Thanks. The local place is space focused and has a Challenger Center, I'm going to check with them first since I did a bunch of volunteer and event work for them over the past 20 years.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah to be clear i think the fact the ds413 is underpowered is a bummer and i imagine it's not great in terms of raw iops as a result. but it's been super reliable so i haven't felt justified throwing it out for a replacement

imo get one with a good cpu because then you can run other stuff on it too. i used to run some usenet stuff on the ds413 via 3rd party/unofficial packages but the checksumming steps were super slow and i ended up moving it all to a separate machine just to keep the ds413 from getting too bogged down. now the ds413 just does storage and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Thanks. The local place is space focused and has a Challenger Center, I'm going to check with them first since I did a bunch of volunteer and event work for them over the past 20 years.

cool, no need to defend your decision, it's your gear. just wanted to make you aware of them