Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
We need that Skyrim guy to rotoscope Tony fighting the black guys again but this time while seated in Holsten's.

it would probably fit so well, he's grabbing the bowl of onion rings instead of the steering wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not to contribute to re-litigating the ending again but I think it was an obvious message delivered in an ambiguous way and it's brilliant. Chase had rather painted himself into a corner. His way out of it - showing us everything we needed to see while still showing us nothing at all at the same time - was very creative. He builds tension out of nothing in that final scene.

The only thing that makes it tense is the viewer knowing that the clock is ticking on the final episode and all the cuts.

But Tony definitely got shot by Members Only Guy. I can't read it any other way

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's funny how this thread can go dormant for weeks at a time, but then someone brings up the ending...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That scene in holstein’s, whatever happened there

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Many Saints' review embargo is up and the word is...tepid to "pretty good." About what I was expecting. A lot of reviews saying the material probably would've been better as a limited series; the plot apparently covers a lot of ground in two hours and loses the nuance and heart of the series in the process. Michael Gandolfini is praised in multiple reviews that also call out that he's not in the movie as much as the marketing would lead you to believe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Many Saints reviews are coming up. They generally skew towards positive, but even those ones mostly aren’t so hot. A lot of claims that the story itself isn’t great, being fairly generic gangster movie-esque, and that a lot of characters get barely any development Happy to have my expectations tempered tbh

On the positive side people love the performances and the Newark riots sections are meant to be especially good

Some spoilery stuff (not about any actual events in the movie):

- Michael Imperioli narrates the movie as Chris from beyond the grave
- The skip to teenage Tony doesn’t happen for over an hour (this is good for me personally)
- Ray Liotta actually plays a dual role as Dickie’s father and uncle :laffo:
- People can’t seem to decide if Corey Stoll is good or not

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

That's a choice I suppose

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

That scene in holstein’s, whatever happened there

These are the posts that keep me coming back to this thread

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't read any reviews since I'm in blackout mode and avoiding spoilers but the trailers didn't excite me too much. I wasn't down on them but not very enticed either. I think a 6 episode mini series like The Corner or Generation Kill might have been a better format here if we're going to dig into all this lore and explore these characters a little but I'm still gonna watch it.

I feel kinda bad for Michael Gandolfini because, seriously, what else can you put him in? That might be unfair and maybe he's got some chops but the physical resemblance alone is going to keep him out of a lot of roles I think. Maybe not but he seems a victim of almost...I dunno...Double Typecasting?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Watching the marketing of the film change over the last two years (it was being advertised at the con in November 2019 and was originally supposed to come out in September 2020) has been fascinating. The title didn’t include “A Sopranos Story”, just the R gun from the show title. Dickie was the only character named in the description, and the rest was about the Newark Riots and how that’s what the story was going to be about, suggesting that anything mob-related would come up when necessary but not as the focus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching the marketing of the film change over the last two years (it was being advertised at the con in November 2019 and was originally supposed to come out in September 2020) has been fascinating. The title didn’t include “A Sopranos Story”, just the R gun from the show title. Dickie was the only character named in the description, and the rest was about the Newark Riots and how that’s what the story was going to be about, suggesting that anything mob-related would come up when necessary but not as the focus.

They added Junior to that plan at some point didn't they?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always find it interesting people talk about the ending. I mean it is pretty cynically designed to accomplish that but the series was wrapped up before that scene and honestly the last scene doesn’t add to much

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

PostNouveau posted:

They added Junior to that plan at some point didn't they?

It was implied that Johnny and Junior would be around because of Dickie, but again, only as much as the mob was involved in the riots in general.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Everybody has the Sopranos wrong, it's really about what you can achieve if you believe in yourself. That's why they play that song.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always find it interesting people talk about the ending. I mean it is pretty cynically designed to accomplish that but the series was wrapped up before that scene and honestly the last scene doesn’t add to much

Well, that's more or less a big reason why it gets talked about so much. No?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Satanic black magic! Sick poo poo!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, that's more or less a big reason why it gets talked about so much. No?

I’m more surprised everyone fell for it.

I first watched it years later and after seeing the context I was surprised this is what set the fandom inflamed

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's funny how this thread can go dormant for weeks at a time, but then someone brings up the ending...

Since people are talking about the ending I noticed something on a rewatch.

All the way back in season 2 when Christopher has his near death experience and visits hell, Mikey Palmice's message for Tony is "3 o clock".

Member's Only would have come from Tony's 3 o clock since he was facing the front of the restaurant.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 21, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m more surprised everyone fell for it.

I first watched it years later and after seeing the context I was surprised this is what set the fandom inflamed

It really was one of those "you had to be there" type of things.

If you came in late or binged the show after it was done and had previous knowledge of the Big Ending, I'm pretty sure your lens was totally different and it was underwhelming. But it was a Big Send Off to one of the pioneers of "prestige TV" and it had a very fanatical following that had been built up over time. Think Seinfeld or, if you're really old, MASH.

The finale was so hosed up that probably 98% of people watching it thought their loving cable went out. I did.

This was when people had cable, consumed most of their entertainment though it, when DVR was a novelty or even a luxury and it lit off a god damned firestorm right around the time when the internet was really beginning to cement. Facebook had been around 3 years and Twitter for 1. Yahoo, MySpace and even AOL were still fairly ubiquitous. There was NO binge watching and you had to be at the TV on Sunday night (for the most part)

With the benefit of hindsight it's easy to know about the finale and say "really? that's it?" but it was 100% a cultural touchstone that hosed viewers right in the skull.

I know, I know. "Hey, everyone. An old man is talking" next to lemon tree while eating an onion but still.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd by lying if I said in some ways I didn't miss television being consumed like that even if the way it is now is better.

With the Sopranos you probably had so many people with their own built up ideas of what was going to happen in the last episode. Probably many that believed it HAD to be something dramatic and explosive and then they got that out of nowhere.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There was no "probably" about it.

For a good minute, they used to have like frat house parties where people would gamble on the Whacking of the Week. IIRC, that was one of the reasons Chase cut down on the murders since that was never really what the show was about and that perception of it bothered him.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 22, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

There was no "probably" about it.

For a good minute, they used to have like frat house parties where people would gamble on the Whacking of the Week. IIRC, that was one of the reasons Chase cut down on the murders since that was never really what the show was about and that perception of it bothered him.

I remember I wasn't into the show when it aired but my friends that were would have crazy watch parties every week.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I'm a total contrarian to the whole Tony dies analysis of the ending to the point that I believe now that the ending is actually Tony passing out from another panic attack.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I grew up on Long Island and actively avoided the show because the fandom was pretty awful, despite liking the one episode I saw during it's original run -- "College".

People definitely binged with their DVD box sets, and I remember certain households that always had those playing.

I thought it was gross that people seemed to actually like Tony and Chris; and I remember specifically those awful t-shirts with the Simpsons recast as the characters (who made money off that?). There were lots of wannabes in my neighborhood, too, with the track suits and whole get up.

It wasn't until I had the show on a hard drive that I sat and watched to find there was a lot more going on than Tony being a boss.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think it gets unfairly maligned as a Dude Show, though I’ll admit there are parts of the first season that I can understand making people think that (especially the overwhelming good fellas influence of the pilot—I love that movie, but well I am a dude)

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Woah, the WTF with Marc Maron interview with David Chase was really good. It gets heavy towards the end. Seems like Chase is self medicating depression with ketamine. Is that a thing?

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 22, 2021

night slime
May 14, 2014
Probably not if he's 76. edit: thought you asked if it was a good thing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a treatment people can get in New Zealand so yeah there’s some logic to it but obv self-prescribing is a different beast

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Whale Vomit posted:

Woah, the WTF with Marc Maron interview with David Chase was really good. It gets heavy towards the end. Seems like Chase is self medicating depression with ketamine. Is that a thing?

Yeah it's a thing. Mucking around with NMDA receptors can be highly efficacious for some people, especially when they don't respond well (or at all) to more traditional monoamine based medications.

I personally suspect there are questions about long term efficacy, though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing I also remember about the hype surrounding the finale was that there were rumors going around that turned out not to be true, and looking back it feels like it was a purposeful leak by people involved in the show to swerve the fans. The word on the street was that Meadow would be accidentally killed in a hit at the end ala The Godfather 3, so of course then when Chase is lingering on her trying to parallel park in that scene people were losing their minds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's just a bit of characterization; all college students have the parking skills of a pile of dogshit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seeing tonight so if anyone has any questions lemme know and I’ll try and answer them. I mean the first answer will be “don’t spoil yourself, you can wait a week” but if anyone absolutely can’t wait a week I will answer properly

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Escobarbarian posted:

Seeing tonight so if anyone has any questions lemme know and I’ll try and answer them. I mean the first answer will be “don’t spoil yourself, you can wait a week” but if anyone absolutely can’t wait a week I will answer properly

Can you spoiler the answers?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Of course!!! I’m not a monster.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Whale Vomit posted:

This was really good thanks for posting it

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The bee wasn't even real, 0/5. Disgraceful

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Does David Scatino show up?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao no

I’ll make an effortpost tomorrow but basically I liked it quite a lot but didn’t love it. It feels surprisingly slight, especially considering it has the overall structure of a typical ‘crime epic’, and this is both a positive and negative thing depending on what element it affects. It’s extremely funny, the performances are mostly really good, and it is most definitely a film about Dickie far far more than anyone else, even Tony, which I was happy about. Direction is good but not especially impressive. I’d say it’s either a low B+ or a high B for me. Doesn’t detract from the Sopranos legacy (although there are way too many injokes and references to show stuff, like way more than you’d think someone like Chase would have the integrity to add? but they’re not an issue for me personally), but also isn’t a totally essential addition to the franchise.

The non-DiMeo side of things is really good and I wish we could have seen more of it, especially because I didn’t feel Leslie Odom Jr’s character was well-developed enough.

This is the only spoiler this post will have but it is a spoiler for the very end of the movie:

I loving knew Junior would be the one who ordered it as soon as I saw his face when Dickie was laughing hahahaha

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Movie spoilers

It definitely feels like there’s a whole other movies worth of stuff that got cut? Some people like Paulie were barely in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would happily watch a four hour version of that movie honestly