Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yup, I believe the Deltarune voice clips were provided by Toby himself though.

Speaking of voices, who sings the ending theme (in Chapter 1 at least, not sure if it comes back in 2) and did they ever make a longer version of it?

The credits song is by Laura Shigihara, I don't think there's a longer version

Jevils voice can't be a sample because it's localized into Japanese by what sounds like the same voice actor (probably Toby)

The Spamton voice clips are not localized so they could be sampled, but nobody has found a source yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yup, I believe the Deltarune voice clips were provided by Toby himself though.

Speaking of voices, who sings the ending theme (in Chapter 1 at least, not sure if it comes back in 2) and did they ever make a longer version of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLqUt8NK73c

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
All this stuff Toby is making is an amazing love letter to Mother 3 and other games we all know he is a huge nerd about. It's amazing.

I had seen this video How Mother 3 Breaks You by Super eye patch wolf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP60Hs_Bv5o&t=752s

and the bit I timestamped at around 12:46 where you have a similar event after collecting the 3 blue checkmark sparked back into memory and hit real different as I experienced it in Toby's game. Especially the bit later when Susie and Ralsei stop on the bridge to get another look at the fireworks again.

real edit:
oh and the drat balloons.

Fake Edit:
Catching up with the thread since i ignored it after game launch, HOPE SOME SERIOUS hosed UP poo poo HASNT GONE DOWN OR ANYTHING

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Catching up with the thread since i ignored it after game launch, HOPE SOME SERIOUS hosed UP poo poo HASNT GONE DOWN OR ANYTHING

There's an alternate route where you can manipulate Noelle into literally murdering Berdly with an ultimate ice spell. This is a real a thing you can do in the game.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, I only played Chapter 1 of Deltarune as a pacifist, but now that I'm hearing about the darker route in Chapter 2 I'm sorely tempted to use a second save slot to do a bad guy run, but knowing Toby Fox I'll be called out for doing that three years from now. Credit to the game that this possibility is actually making me hesitate to try it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Yeah there's a choice box where Berdley asks

SUBS or DUBS

and if you get it wrong he shanks you and the game crashes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dolash posted:

Man, I only played Chapter 1 of Deltarune as a pacifist, but now that I'm hearing about the darker route in Chapter 2 I'm sorely tempted to use a second save slot to do a bad guy run, but knowing Toby Fox I'll be called out for doing that three years from now. Credit to the game that this possibility is actually making me hesitate to try it.

Apparently it has nothing to do with the first chapter and requires making a very specific set of choices during Chapter 2 itself. There’s a guide out there that was posted earlier but I forget where it is.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1AL95g4hxFb5WWHX1kkt6LI-Wbkwt1x3V8lodhPFBkMU/mobilebasic

I'm still kind of amazed it's real

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Larryb posted:

Apparently it has nothing to do with the first chapter and requires making a very specific set of choices during Chapter 2 itself. There’s a guide out there that was posted earlier but I forget where it is.

Yeah, but if I was going bad-guy-route I'd definitely want to also go back to chapter 1 and try there too. More to the point, I'd be worried that when chapter 3 comes out, even if I imported my pacifist save, simply having had a bad-guy save in another slot will be enough to mess things up, similar to how doing the genocide route back in Undertale essentially "tainted" your game even if you tried to play the pacifist route afterward.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Possibly the biggest spoiler of all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dolash posted:

Yeah, but if I was going bad-guy-route I'd definitely want to also go back to chapter 1 and try there too. More to the point, I'd be worried that when chapter 3 comes out, even if I imported my pacifist save, simply having had a bad-guy save in another slot will be enough to mess things up, similar to how doing the genocide route back in Undertale essentially "tainted" your game even if you tried to play the pacifist route afterward.

As far as I’m aware, fighting everything in Chapter 1 only changes a few scenes and the ending before you leave the Dark World (it might effect some stuff in Chapter 2 as well but I won’t know until it comes out on consoles). Chapter 2 is the only one so far that has an entire alternate route devoted to it though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It affects nothing in chapter 2, I actually complained a bit about it a few pages ago :V

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The system data already notes if you've ever beaten Jevil on any file, you don't have to use save data from a file where you've won, the victory items will retrievable in Ralsei's dark world.
So a bit getting set if you do the alternate route(s) on any game that affects all your games isn't an UNlikely thing Toby would do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

It affects nothing in chapter 2, I actually complained a bit about it a few pages ago :V

Ah. That is a little weird, yeah

Do you get to keep all your equipment/items at least?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 21, 2021

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hogama posted:

The system data already notes if you've ever beaten Jevil on any file, you don't have to use save data from a file where you've won, the victory items will retrievable in Ralsei's dark world.
So a bit getting set if you do the alternate route(s) on any game that affects all your games isn't an UNlikely thing Toby would do.

I remember in Chapter 1, people discovered there was a minor difference in the first room (what item is in Asriel's drawer) depending on which save slot was used. It didn't seem to affect anything else at all, but it feels like a shot across the bow by Toby to say "Hey, I know which save slot you're using, heads up".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Shayy_TV/status/1440369153307672583

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would be more suspect of game fuckery if someone hinted at you taking the alternate route if you went back and did the normal route. But as it is nothing has turned up not even in the datamines.

Undertale had the Flowey conversation at the end of the ruins which made it kinda clear the game is watching. Feels like it would be a huge dick move not to signpost something like that early.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah. That is a little weird, yeah

Do you get to keep all your equipment/items at least?

Oh yeah, you still keep everything you got in chapter 1, it's just that the game acts like you spared everybody and got that ending. None of the darkners even mention it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Berdly: You cheated not only the game, but yourself

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snowgrave...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Magitek posted:

Apparently there's a moment where you can see Kris's eyes (well, eye):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSf7u7_mbg

Then the fandom says CHARA CONFIRMED because they have red-brown colorblindness

Coincidentally, Chara's melty face effect in the jump scare is also brown, which is just gross

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Possibly the biggest spoiler of all

If Undyne became the Undying, does this mean Susie will become Susie the Sus?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll never understand the Chara obsession. They're like the one boring character in Undertale.

There's the videos of the fallen child that appear in the True Lab that are interesting enough, and it's kind of neat that naming the fallen child is a fake-out completely unrelated to the player character, but that's not the Chara people are trying to will into Deltarune.

Like, Gaster is a kind soul and some sort of Doc Brownian mad scientist who may or may not be trying to reclaim existence from self-deletion by maddening metaphysical means, I understand being compelled by that, but Chara is literally a creepypasta who shows up at the end to say "you did bad things and that makes you a bad person and I will make your game glitch out as punishment."

Having the same character take over another game, especially if that were to occur regardless of the player's choices, is just a bad story.

E: Making bad poo poo happen because you did bad things on a different save file might be cool, depending on how it's done, but it will not be if the bad poo poo is Chara showing up for some reason.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2021

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would be more suspect of game fuckery if someone hinted at you taking the alternate route if you went back and did the normal route. But as it is nothing has turned up not even in the datamines.

Undertale had the Flowey conversation at the end of the ruins which made it kinda clear the game is watching. Feels like it would be a huge dick move not to signpost something like that early.

To me, the signpost is "having played Undertale", plus the barest acknowledgement that the game is indeed tracking all three save slots separately (also reinforced by the language the game uses if you try copying/deleting saves between slots, which acknowledges them as parallel universes, not just saves).

Don't get me wrong, it'd be a hell of a long con, but I wouldn't put it past him!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There wasn't any outward indication of the Jevil stuff carrying over in Chapter 1. I think regardless of whether anything'll happen or not based on you going down weird routes it's simply too soon to know what's planned.

Nyoro posted:

Snowgrave...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hogama posted:

There wasn't any outward indication of the Jevil stuff carrying over in Chapter 1. I think regardless of whether anything'll happen or not based on you going down weird routes it's simply too soon to know what's planned.

Berdly being dead or Kris breaking free from the normal path of the story? Or just Toby being Toby. :v:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
big shot
is just
i b ghost

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
me irl

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Voxx posted:

big shot
is just
i b ghost

noooo not the irritable bowel ghost

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Hogama posted:

Presuming that the bead represents Berdly, this sort of echoes the end of the Spamton NEO fight, where Spamton "dies" when all his strings are cut. The course of a character's life is predetermined and not under their control, and death is the only way we see characters "break free" from that. Grim stuff! Of course, we're only two chapters in, so we may see that theme evolve further over time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lunatic Sledge posted:

noooo not the irritable bowel ghost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The power of DETERMINATION flows through you.

> Save       > Return

Rhodo Dendron
Sep 20, 2021

by sebmojo

Hogama posted:

"Have you ever thought about a world where everything is exactly the same... Except you don't exist? Everything functions perfectly without you..."

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Checked on my save, this is absolutely real.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Two Inch Bee posted:

Presuming that the bead represents Berdly, this sort of echoes the end of the Spamton NEO fight, where Spamton "dies" when all his strings are cut. The course of a character's life is predetermined and not under their control, and death is the only way we see characters "break free" from that. Grim stuff! Of course, we're only two chapters in, so we may see that theme evolve further over time.

we're gonna be visiting death pretty closely; the nature of heaven, the church, and angels —lots of stuff to look forward to on that end.

kaleedity fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 21, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah probably. There's a part of me that just thinks it's college again even if that seems way too mundane considering Noelle's supposed spelling bee reaction.

But Kris can't bear to look into Asriel's dark world room either so maybe it's just that kids with troubled family situations and not many friends have very strong feelings about their older siblings who left them behind to go to college.

Ed, Edd and Eddy has the one Ed super hero worshiping his older brother and I seem to recall him being very protective of his room and belongings also when that was shown in one episode.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Prediction with exactly zero things backing it.

Instead of judging you for taking a bad route. This time in order to get the happiest possible ending you have to fully follow both the normal wholesome path and the miserable weird path. Either one on its own will leave really obvious gaps where things could if been better, but aren't.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tenebrais posted:

Has there been any speculation around the fact that the Queen, while presumably being the library laptop (or at least some sort of computer but she does have a battery and Kris can take her to the closet in the real world), she is also the queen of spades? Odd to me that a character can combine two such disparate concepts like that. What could it mean?

Really thought Queen was supposed to be one of these...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Prediction with exactly zero things backing it.

Instead of judging you for taking a bad route. This time in order to get the happiest possible ending you have to fully follow both the normal wholesome path and the miserable weird path. Either one on its own will leave really obvious gaps where things could if been better, but aren't.
I dont think toby is going to force players to kill berdly, for the greater good. The whole point of these good/bad routes is that you can also just not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Has there been any speculation around the fact that the Queen, while presumably being the library laptop (or at least some sort of computer but she does have a battery and Kris can take her to the closet in the real world), she is also the queen of spades? Odd to me that a character can combine two such disparate concepts like that. What could it mean?

i assumed the antagonists being spades is a play on the saying "calling a spade a spade"