Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Well, first draft in Platinum, I made it to 7-2. 5-0 before losing one. Got passed late Hungry for More in P1 and late Lunar Frenzy in p2. Naturally, I opened Moonveil Regent p3. I never actually attacked with a transformed Jerren, though one guy conceded the turn I would have. The red splash probably won me 4-5 games. Lunar Frenzy and Hungry can push lots of damage seemingly from nowhere. And the Regent is a straight up bomb. Hungry also saved my rear end one game buy gaining me 6 life out of nowhere and let me hang around long enough to draw Regent. I cast red cards off the Jack o Lanters probably 3-4 times total, it worked out OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Homebrews

having fun with this:

code:
Deck
3 Vega, the Watcher (KHM) 233
7 Island (MID) 381
4 Plains (MID) 380
3 Chaplain of Alms (MID) 13
3 Malevolent Hermit (MID) 61
4 Shipwreck Sifters (MID) 74
4 Spectral Adversary (MID) 77
4 Patrician Geist (MID) 69
4 Faithful Mending (MID) 221
2 Memory Deluge (MID) 62
4 Fateful Absence (MID) 18
4 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
4 Glasspool Mimic (ZNR) 60
4 Deserted Beach (MID) 260
4 Hengegate Pathway (KHM) 260
2 Cave of the Frost Dragon (AFR) 253

Sideboard
2 Dennick, Pious Apprentice (MID) 217
2 Portable Hole (AFR) 33
3 Ray of Frost (AFR) 68
1 Field of Ruin (MID) 262
3 Paladin Class (AFR) 29
2 Lunarch Veteran (MID) 27
2 Saw It Coming (KHM) 76
Ascendant spirit is not great in this deck, if you were wondering.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is the midweek magic queue broken or is literally everyone playing Magda

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I played against a Tyvar Kell and a Gisa

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I made an Adeline brawl deck which then made me think of Sweet Adeline by Elliott Smith so I listened to him a bunch today. Thank you WOTC

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Don't the Brawl queues have the same kind of opponent matching as the Play queues, based on your deck's attributes, so you're more likely to see similar commanders?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Grazilaxx flyers and Tovolar shame scoop were my opponents.

plainswalker75 posted:

Don't the Brawl queues have the same kind of opponent matching as the Play queues, based on your deck's attributes, so you're more likely to see similar commanders?

The normal ones do, and seems like the event one should as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I made an Adeline brawl deck which then made me think of Sweet Adeline by Elliott Smith so I listened to him a bunch today. Thank you WOTC

After last event I just shamelessly ripped off the MTGAZone list for that deck. Adeline is cool in my book.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Has anyone gotten Shipwreck Sifters online? I had some decent luck with 4 them just now in UB supported by 3 disturb cards and a Suspicious Stowaway.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like extremely low numbers of support cards for them actually. I'd want a good 10-15 other disturb & spirit cards to think of using them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, one hit on the Sifter already makes it very good - I don't think I'd run it if I was trying to really go fast or using it as a wincon, but it's a nifty 2-drop in decks with good discard or spirit synergy.

now watch it be useless in my one draft there (I took the advice in mind and also put the Grafted Identity back in the deck, lol, thanks)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I played 5 Magda mirror matches to get my 2 wins

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That seems like extremely low numbers of support cards for them actually. I'd want a good 10-15 other disturb & spirit cards to think of using them.
Yeah, maybe I just got lucky with them. I wasn't shy about discarding the Sifters themselves in the later game and a 1/2 or 2/3 with a loot felt pretty good.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I stole an Adeline list from mtgazone

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

odiv posted:

Has anyone gotten Shipwreck Sifters online? I had some decent luck with 4 them just now in UB supported by 3 disturb cards and a Suspicious Stowaway.

I’m running 5 of them in a UB deck with 6 other hits and they’ve been very good so far.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

odiv posted:

Yeah, maybe I just got lucky with them. I wasn't shy about discarding the Sifters themselves in the later game and a 1/2 or 2/3 with a loot felt pretty good.

I've also liked them for just the single loot and small body, without any hope of growing them big. They help gum up the ground while fliers get in and add a point or two as part of an alpha strike. Can be sacrificed when paired with black and help with coven with white.
E: With red or green they help you dig for whatever bomb made you draft that color.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 22, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's hard to say if chat is good or bad tbh

https://twitter.com/msigrist83/status/1440413623168372747?s=21

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Games > Magic the Gathering Arena: Donking Out with the Shuffler

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I always like to play Midweek Magic basically ASAP because I feel like the competition is super soft at the start and then gets a little stiffer as people just looking to get their two wins move on. I'm still on my lifegain bullshit, so I made a Trelasarra deck and did pretty well with that. Once I open packs for Midnight Hunt I really need to get more adventous with my decklists though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

They're doing a pickem for worlds for free poo poo

https://magic.gg/events/magic-world-championship-xxvii

Sleeve, some ICRs depending on how well your guy does, Trophy pet if you pick the winner correecly

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Lone Goat posted:

They're doing a pickem for worlds for free poo poo

https://magic.gg/events/magic-world-championship-xxvii

Sleeve, some ICRs depending on how well your guy does, Trophy pet if you pick the winner correecly

Got payed off for picking Paulo last time, see no reason to do otherwise this time.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Won't get fooled again :mad:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Got payed off for picking Paulo last time, see no reason to do otherwise this time.

Thank you I picked Paulo too

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Should this be jund or Gruul? I do have 4 black removal spells that one in handy.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 22, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Woo! First time past plat!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I too have picked Paulo. With this coven, we seal the victory.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I submitted a ticket, so we'll see how long that takes.

:rip:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Congrats! What deck?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

fadam posted:

Congrats! What deck?

White Weenies:

Deck
2 Paladin Class (AFR) 29
22 Snow-Covered Plains (KHM) 276
4 Monk of the Open Hand (AFR) 25
4 Clarion Spirit (KHM) 6
4 Luminarch Aspirant (ZNR) 24
3 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
4 Professor of Symbology (STX) 24
4 Codespell Cleric (KHM) 7
3 Maul of the Skyclaves (ZNR) 27
4 Elite Spellbinder (STX) 17
1 Legion Angel (ZNR) 23
2 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
3 Portable Hole (AFR) 33

Sideboard
3 Legion Angel (ZNR) 23
1 Environmental Sciences (STX) 1
1 Expanded Anatomy (STX) 2
1 Introduction to Prophecy (STX) 4
1 Reduce to Memory (STX) 25

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Technowolf posted:

swag

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

denimgorilla posted:

I too have picked Paulo. With this coven, we seal the victory.

fools. nassif all the way

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
It's a great time to play a Wrenn deck. Everyone forgets the tokens have Reach.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Running Hot

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
UW seems entirely reasonable in draft.

Disturb is insanely hard to attack into.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Also having 2+ Lunarch Veteran on the board means you don't really have to block all that much if you don't want to.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know all the emphasis is on Limited and so on, but the new Standard Brawl pool is extremely good, virtually all the lovely overturned garbage is gone and the game feel way more back and forth than they ever did.

I’m running Toski and winning my games with lots of little fight spells instead of just ramping to 6 and dropping impossibly huge haymakers that all have sick ETBs. None of the cards in my deck feel unfair or OP, and I haven’t played against anything besides a few flavors of Mono-U that felt unfair or unfun.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Pretty hard to find a game in the standard brawl, presumably because all the players are not slamming their ugins in historic brawl.
I am running Narfi zombies and win a surprising amount of games.
One game was against Lier counters: Counter everything, play Lier, ????. Opponent ran all their counterspells into my freshly uncounterable stuff. They had a lot of bounce spells ready, so I suppose this was a netdeck that was intended to bounce Lier to hand with full control to make the counters usable.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Is MTG Arena Tool still broken for other people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

I know all the emphasis is on Limited and so on, but the new Standard Brawl pool is extremely good, virtually all the lovely overturned garbage is gone and the game feel way more back and forth than they ever did.

I’m running Toski and winning my games with lots of little fight spells instead of just ramping to 6 and dropping impossibly huge haymakers that all have sick ETBs. None of the cards in my deck feel unfair or OP, and I haven’t played against anything besides a few flavors of Mono-U that felt unfair or unfun.

I built my first ever brawl deck around toski yesterday and won five straight using that same strategy. I have the mythic rare that doubles counters along with a bunch of synergy for that, too.