Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dune? loving Dune?!

Matt would have lost if she had known (what I thought was) an easy Final Jeopardy. Surprised only Carlo knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I had no clue what the final was. I've seen maybe 10 total minutes of that movie. I guessed the blob lol

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Mayim Bialik owning Matt a couple of times gave her some extra points in my book. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

banned from Starbucks posted:

I had no clue what the final was. I've seen maybe 10 total minutes of that movie. I guessed the blob lol

:lol: are you 23 years old?

Its not an impressive movie in the age of CGI, but in 1988, it was absolutely amazing. I last saw it about 8 years ago on TV and it holds well, and I'll be buying the 4k come December

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

You should really watch the whole thing. It’s a fantastic movie even ignoring the cartoon blending with live action element, though that is also great stuff that has never been topped. A solid detective story with Bob Hoskins and Christopher Lloyd.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had absolutely no idea and guessed License to Kill because it seemed like a James Bond kind of plot.

In my defence I was born in 1988.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kids today don’t know about how horrifying the Dip scene was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

There was an amazing amount of emotion in that poor shoe :smith:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: are you 23 years old?

na significantly older. Just never saw it :shrug:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That was a gimme Final (especially by calling the substance dip) and Matt should be lucky she whiffed.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The shot composition in that movie is ridiculously good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also I’m glad Biyalik stopped with the giggling but she was still annoying.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

She's still doing that 'interject trivia fact' thing that gets old after the second or third time. Otherwise she's not too terrible a host.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

Mayim Bialik owning Matt a couple of times gave her some extra points in my book. :v:

Lol did Matt kill your dog or something?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I just don't like him, he's really offputting.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’m pretty sure I saw Rodger Rabbit in the theater as a kid and at least one time as an adult and for the life of me I couldn’t come up with the answer.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

thrawn527 posted:

I've watched that movie maybe once in the past 20 years, but so many scenes have been permanently burned into my brain from that one time I watched it as a child.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I can literally quote that entire movie verbatim and it irritates me when people can't answer such an obvious question about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stairs posted:

I can literally quote that entire movie verbatim and it irritates me when people can't answer such an obvious question about it.

Because I read the Dune spoiler up thread, my brain immediately said "that's not the water of life!"

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I can somewhat understand if they were in 1988 or one year off as the clue noted but those films were '81 and '84

Oddly enough, Matt noted in a interview with McNear that pop culture was a weak point for him and tried to shore it up

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/9/20/22679773/matt-amodio-jeopardy-champion-win-streak-mike-richards-host

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:drat:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol nice one Matt

I like his goofy grins when Johnny says his winnings and I hope he has a productive career in Jeopardy shitposting

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i would say i like the idea of a j champ everybody can dunk on, but i forgot arthur chu is holding that role currently

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I find myself liking Matt more and more.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

:boom:

Matt still irks me a bit with his flat-ish tone of voice, but he’s def growing on me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 22, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've liked Matt since that game where his two opponents were in the red/barely in the white with only a handful of $400 clues to go, and I'm pretty sure he stopped playing to let them get fully out of the hole since he was a mile in front.

Also everything I've heard from his opponents is that he's a super nice guy, very humble, and that they all like him a lot. Oddly, I never heard that said about a certain someone else.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What an insecure dick. When Holzhauer lost for the first time and barged into Emma's celebration, it felt like he was trying to make that moment about him, too.

Plus, his joke doesn't even really make sense. His 23 day win streak was a big anomaly and his 23 day cash total was a huge anomaly. Those haven't become the standards for "being really good a Jeopardy." It's not like Matt is out there saying he's going to do what Holzhauer did, only better.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What an insecure dick. When Holzhauer lost for the first time and barged into Emma's celebration, it felt like he was trying to make that moment about him, too.

Plus, his joke doesn't even really make sense. His 23 day win streak was a big anomaly and his 23 day cash total was a huge anomaly. Those haven't become the standards for "being really good a Jeopardy." It's not like Matt is out there saying he's going to do what Holzhauer did, only better.

It's just a silly shitposting tweet, dude.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
It should still make sense.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

James has been doing a trashtalking bit on twitter ever since his original run (and really ramped it up around the GOAT tourney). It's pretty funny and everybody is in on it, so don't read too much into his tweets.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Some people do consider Holzhauer the new standard. I'm not saying they're right, but people like this exist, and make some pretty good points, and things I see Matt doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z922g9R6xE

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but He’s still a giant douchebag.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckman2008 posted:

Compared to Mike Richards, James seems quaint and folksy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, for sure.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holhauzer is the Leffen of Jeopardy.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

DoctorWhat posted:

Holhauzer is the Leffen of Jeopardy.

leffen got less lovely over time and eventually turned into a human though

james has just been digging for two years straight lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Someone’s gotta be Ric Flair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Being this unstoppable juggernaut and not knowing a 200 dollar level clue Final Jeopardy about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is really funny. Then again Ken lost on a fairly easy one (but not that easy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Everyone's got knowledge holes! Ken said that he'd never, ever have gotten H&R Block since he always did his own taxes.

The "work from the bottom and bounce around the board" strategy is a good one.....if you're good enough to pull it off like Matt and James and a few others. Most contestants aren't.