Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Safari looks a real mess in iPadOS 15, especially the tab bar. Is there any way to make it look better?

Edit: I guess I’ll used to in two days time

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there any way to use iPhone apps that don’t have an iPad version in slideover or something? I can use the weird blown up version if I have to, but I use the iPad in landscape most of the time so it sucks having to pull the iPad off the magic keyboard to use 1 app

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

inferis posted:

Is there any way to use iPhone apps that don’t have an iPad version in slideover or something? I can use the weird blown up version if I have to, but I use the iPad in landscape most of the time so it sucks having to pull the iPad off the magic keyboard to use 1 app

It's infuriating that these still exist in 2021.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

japtor posted:

Speaking of in store though, anyone done trade ins recently? I have iPad minis (4 and 5) and would like to just walk in, get the credit, walk out with a 6, rather than dealing with whatever possible mail in shenanigans.

In Arizona at least, I went in and traded in my S3 watch and Mini 2 on the afternoon of the announcements, the 14th. I opted for gift cards so I could decide later but they gave me the same value as the online tool with no issues at all. Did it all in person. Only thing noteworthy is Apple stores require you to wear a mask, I went to one inside a mall and they had a rent-a-cop standing just outside the glass doors with a box of masks in case you didn't have one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My local Costco is running pretty decent discounts on iPad airs and pros.

Maybe yours is too!

I really wish I had known this yesterday when I bought my new iPad Air for full price at the apple store.

:smith:

I’m telling myself that returning my iPad and applecare and buying a new iPad and apple care at Costco is more than $70 of time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PirateDentist posted:

In Arizona at least, I went in and traded in my S3 watch and Mini 2 on the afternoon of the announcements, the 14th. I opted for gift cards so I could decide later but they gave me the same value as the online tool with no issues at all. Did it all in person. Only thing noteworthy is Apple stores require you to wear a mask, I went to one inside a mall and they had a rent-a-cop standing just outside the glass doors with a box of masks in case you didn't have one.
Oh cool, I guess I'll pop in if the config I want is available...unless the trade in values tank once the 6 is out :ohdear:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My local Costco is running pretty decent discounts on iPad airs and pros.

Maybe yours is too!

I really wish I had known this yesterday when I bought my new iPad Air for full price at the apple store.

:smith:

I’m telling myself that returning my iPad and applecare and buying a new iPad and apple care at Costco is more than $70 of time.
Oof, lesson for the future I guess. It seems like iPads go on sale regularly enough that I'd just wait* for a deal, particularly for one that's been out for a while like the Air and Pros. Hell I saw something about the new iPad and mini for like $30 off already.

*Just ignore that I'm jumping on a new mini asap, probably. Depends if the trade value holds up.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
After playing around a bit with setting up a sort of dashboard on the Home Screen with the new widgets, I kind of wish we could put widgets on the Lock Screen. It would be neat to have a dashboard where you could just wake the iPad up and glance at it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In another 10 or 15 years, I think we might have that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The feature is halfway there, in that swipe right from the left edge screen. It's just not super convenient because it needs a gesture to access.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lock screen widgets would be nice yeah

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

iPadOS 15 working fine for me, the multi window management is so much better.

Can we please keep this but go back to widgets being bound to the left side of the screen?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Y’all are crazy Home Screen widgets are good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’d rather have six icons per row. make it an option at least, my big pro looks ridiculous

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I disabled all widgets. The whole 4 columns with them enabled loving sucks

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Home Screen widgets are fantastic and there's absolutely no reason they need to allow so few icons on the screen to accomodate it.

Hell, just gimme that "Siri Shortcuts" widget that fits 8 apps into a 2 app slot but let me pick what apps go in there like a folder.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I disabled all widgets. The whole 4 columns with them enabled loving sucks

Does removing all widgets from a home screen bring back the wider spaced columns like in previous versions of iOS?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Interesting that they killed widgets on the desktop in 2019, only to revive them on the iPad. Introduced on tiger in 2005

Windows did gadgets (widgets) on Vista (2006) and 7, but then discontinued in 10 (2015)

What's old is new again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there absolutely no way to turn off the multitasking dots? Why the gently caress are they permanently on the screen, what a bizarre design decision.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Buttons for managing windows have always been at the top in desktop OSes so it makes sense to me that they put them there, am I missing something?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can’t even turn multitasking off any more from what I can see 🧐

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

They’re in the way of absolutely nothing. Hiding multitasking behind gestures was stupid.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The biggest problem for me is that the amount of icons they let you have on screen is different for landscape and portrait now, so your widget and icon placement gets all hosed up once you switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Does removing all widgets from a home screen bring back the wider spaced columns like in previous versions of iOS?

It does.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t tell if this is a bug or I’m just not seeing somegthing, but when I go to Settings and search for “Gestures”, first hit is General>Gestures which doesn’t actually exist. I can touch it but it just takes you to the General settings page and … :confused:

Was hoping I could disable this Quick Notes garbage since I trigger it like 9/10 times I’m either trying to get to the task switcher or maybe scrolling because I idly placed my thumb too low on the screen.

Yes I’m probably “holding it wrong” now, no I don’t care, I won’t ever use Quick Notes so I’d rather just turn them off which seems to be impossible right now. You can disable the Apple Pencil gesture but not the hand one :sigh:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’m trying my damnedest to accidentally trigger quick notes and I just can’t do it. You have to move your thumb really diagonally for the note to come up rather than the straight-up movement for the task switcher.

I can sort of get it if I’m swiping halfway on the screen and halfway on the bezel?

As much as I wish you could swap sides for a lot of shortcuts as a left handed person, this really does feel like a “you’re holding it wrong” situation.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
gently caress it I just about a 11" 2021 iPad Pro. My brother used his student discount, and they included a pair of Airpods that I hopefully will be able to sell for a decent price and thus brind down the cost even more. All the second hand options are either 2020 and almost as expensive, or 2021 models that are more expensive.

Picking it up tomorrow.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The power button on the new mini is kinda awkward. Also it’s impossible to use touch id with your left hand

apart from that it’s brilliant, the speakers are waaay better than the 5th gen

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It's actually quite annoying how bad ipados15 looks (and feels as well, I get a lot more crashes and a lot of websites refuse to load in Safari). It makes you wonder what these people working on it have been doing all this time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xabi posted:

It's actually quite annoying how bad ipados15 looks (and feels as well, I get a lot more crashes and a lot of websites refuse to load in Safari). It makes you wonder what these people working on it have been doing all this time.

probably being told by their bosses “no, we’re not going in that direction. That’s the Mac’s lane”

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I really wish the political situation at apple would get leaked more. I gotta be missing something because the obvious play is to get OSX on the iPad Pro and just nuke the base MacBook line.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure the long term plan is always going to be to try to get you to buy a mac and an ipad

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Clark Nova posted:

I'm pretty sure the long term plan is always going to be to try to get you to buy a mac and an ipad

and an entire array of dongles to connect them

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
At least you can share the dongles between them now! Progress!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

The power button on the new mini is kinda awkward. Also it’s impossible to use touch id with your left hand

apart from that it’s brilliant, the speakers are waaay better than the 5th gen
Why is it impossible? :confused:

Wish it had Face ID cause it seems like it'd be more natural for unlocking and basic auth stuff (vs the button potentially being different places depending on orientation), with Touch ID as a fallback and for Apple Pay, just cause double clicking the lock button feels a bit awkward.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I really wish the political situation at apple would get leaked more. I gotta be missing something because the obvious play is to get OSX on the iPad Pro and just nuke the base MacBook line.
From the beginning it's always been a big iOS device. Shitloads of people have iPhones and know iOS, more than have ever been Mac users, and iPads just build on that. If you want macOS the solution is...a Mac.

It's always seemed like their ideal would be the opposite "obvious play": just keep building on the iOS base and eventually sunset macOS when capable enough. Course in reality it seems like they see a place for a distinct traditional desktop macOS alongside iOS, probably cause merging them would be a pain in the rear end with downsides for both platforms, and just having them increasingly work together and sharing code/resources where possible.

People that like iOS get fancy poo poo, macOS still gets to exist for people that like macOS, people that use both get the whole ecosystem thing, Apple gets more money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

track day bro! posted:

??

I set up my pointer finger for both my right and left hand. They both work fine with no issue.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Well Played Mauer posted:

I absolutely do not want to use macOS on an 11” touchscreen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

With USB-C you can just plug in mouse and keyboard, touchscreen on your laptop is pretty useless at that point

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I can probably count the number of times I've used the touch screen on my Lenovo laptop on my fingers.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I can probably count the number of times I've used the touch screen on my Lenovo laptop on my fingers.

And sounds a bit crazy but since getting the magic keyboard I have barely touched (or need to clean!) my iPad’s glass…

I wouldn’t hate having the option to run macOS on this machine — though i think the iPad has a certain place for itself it would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I could get Mac OS on an ipad, I could ditch my giant gently caress-off work laptop, or at least have a sane travel option. Work issued me this 16" mbp monstrosity and I hate it at worst let me have an M1 air