Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Whats really funny about shifting mfg from china to other SE asia countries is that no one actually looked at the size of the labor pool before doing so, so now there are labor shortages in vietnam/cambodia/indo/mylasia etc because we've already hit the cheap labor pool cap and costs are starting to rise there due to competition, so its a cluster of rapidly rising labor costs right after investing in facilities in low cost countries.

To respond to this, companies are starting to look at manufacturing in africa as it has a potentially large untapped labor pool they can not pay much for, but now the whole consumer goods supply chain is so entrenched in SE asia that moving mfg to Africa without moving the whole drat chain over (lol) will have big impacts on lead times and transportation costs, so thats a wash too.

Its pretty funny in a really hosed way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Haha, they backed off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its why apple moved their poo poo to india: there are enough peeps in india

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1440747736123379722

Mrs. O'Leary's cow says Barn has more than achieved what it wanted for temperature goal

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/m_c_klein/status/1440748453068374019?s=21

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

i doubt anyone would look at their grocery receipts lately and call them "modest", rear end in a top hat

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Impressed?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when is the last time Powell bought a grocery I wonder

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

The way China handles this crisis vs. how the west handled the 2008 credit crisis is going to be the story of the 21st century

you should google COVID-19.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

when is the last time Powell bought a grocery I wonder

he could probably afford one after cashing out at the top with everybody else who works there

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

In Training posted:

you should google COVID-19.

I wonder if the complete mismanagement of that pandemic and utter lack of trust in the government and media had anything to do with it occurring in year 12 of the global recession :thunk:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have to get groceries later it's going to suck and cost a lot.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I made my first trip to Aldi in a few weeks just now and it was $120 or so. Usually $70-80

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

Haha, they backed off.

They always do, Jerome is looking out for his own portfolio first and foremost

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I made my first trip to Aldi in a few weeks just now and it was $120 or so. Usually $70-80

loving hell

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
"Your the God damned taper!" Jerome Powell was heard to have screamed before executing noted bear Sven Heinrich.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They're doing the German food thing this week so I bought a little more stuff than I normally would (the pickles are great), but I don't buy meat and I don't buy convenience foods for the most part. I was shocked it came out to that much.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

nah actually india is insanely competitive right now and all my vendors and my internal company has massive shortages

indian business culture is kind of fun for recruiting - they have a 90 day notice period so what they do is use that 90 day period to shop your offer around and then on day 89 they take the highest bidder

it gets completely out of hand for anything beyond entry level IT people

covid accelerated this as well, the cost of labor in india has doubled since the start of the pandemic and looks to be headed higher as it goes on

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

apple has plenty of their poo poo still in china

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mila kunis posted:

apple has plenty of their poo poo still in china

that isn't apple, its their contracted manufacturer (specifically, foxconn)

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

KirbyKhan posted:

Just did a refuge run with my family from Los Angeles to upstate NY. Wife and baby flew when the sight unseen apartment cleared. We shipped the car to arrive when she did so she wouldn't be stranded in rural America. I took a Uhaul and drove. About $18,000 all said and done. It would have been significantly cheaper to burn all my material objects and rebuy them upon arrival but I hosed up and rescued my dog. I would commit crime to fulfil our promise to her that "we are her forever family".

Life seems less doomery up close and at 75mph, but lmao there's shortages in the gas stations east of the Rockies and west of the great lakes. Being in the center of empire REALLY counts.

Oh right, I should check in the local lds church. Penciling that in between updating Medicaid transference and NY State ID registration.

Good luck adjusting to the winters. Take up snowshoeing or cross-country skiing, or prepare to go insane.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i wish every property developer, chinese or otherwise, a very go bankrupt

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Dreylad posted:

it's still funny to me that 19th century economists had such a visceral reaction to marx and the LTV they disavowed that part of smith and ricardo and came up with something else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGBxUNaQI1I

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're doing the German food thing this week so I bought a little more stuff than I normally would (the pickles are great), but I don't buy meat and I don't buy convenience foods for the most part. I was shocked it came out to that much.

What do you mean "this week"? It's a German company, they're supposed to be there!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cumshitters revenge

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DOW SOARS

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Galactic_Trader/status/1440321267073093643

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Mad Wack posted:

nah actually india is insanely competitive right now and all my vendors and my internal company has massive shortages

indian business culture is kind of fun for recruiting - they have a 90 day notice period so what they do is use that 90 day period to shop your offer around and then on day 89 they take the highest bidder

it gets completely out of hand for anything beyond entry level IT people

covid accelerated this as well, the cost of labor in india has doubled since the start of the pandemic and looks to be headed higher as it goes on

Holy poo poo, that rules. Good for them.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
far as i can tell, economies everywhere seem to actually be doing ok because the people that hold all the monopolies on violence and currency say they are

what am i gonna do to stop 'em?

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Doomsday economy, Epstein kid-loving rings, nazi cowboys, and climate disaster, ALL IN ONE POST!
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664734571778051
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664738929643524

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RaySmuckles posted:

far as i can tell, economies everywhere seem to actually be doing ok because the people that hold all the monopolies on violence and currency say they are

what am i gonna do to stop 'em?

join union i dunno

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

VERY.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

missed opportunity to run a usb cord all the way through

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Can you imagine having to go to the bathroom and just having no idea where things are gonna come out and just being like :tif:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mila kunis posted:

As Mr. Xi clamps down on capital, his popularity among the party’s original base, the working class and rural poor, appears to be growing, thanks to his initiatives to fight corruption and poverty.

In Xingguo, a southern county where rocky land makes large-scale farming difficult, Mr. Xi’s portrait hangs on the walls of some residents’ living rooms, space once reserved for pictures of Mao.

Local residents credit Mr. Xi’s targeted approach to poverty alleviation, which includes assigning local officials to affected households.

“Previous leaders also talked about helping the poor,” a resident surnamed Zhong told a visiting Journal reporter in the spring of 2020. “But he really cares about us.”

my god, for the WSJ to write like this, then the Chinese government is kicking much more rear end than imagined

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

dead gay comedy forums posted:

my god, for the WSJ to write like this, then the Chinese government is kicking much more rear end than imagined

I like in the US helping the poor is never even a policy goal, it's all about saving the honky mythical "middle class"

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

absolutely loving shocked that the leader of the Chinese Communist Party is a Maoist. Completely unexpected

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

staticman posted:

Doomsday economy, Epstein kid-loving rings, nazi cowboys, and climate disaster, ALL IN ONE POST!
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664734571778051
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664738929643524

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

China is brrrrrring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

etalian posted:

I like in the US helping the poor is never even a policy goal, it's all about saving the honky mythical "middle class"

Lmao the US doesn’t have policy goals or long term plans beyond rich people high scores go up.

Any policy is purely reactive, half assed, and mostly used to cover for more high score padding