Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, a long 0 is overkill for your intended use. I’d recommend looking for a “summer” “quilt” (basically a rectangular sleeping bag), particularly if you are backpacking v car camping. Get a silk liner and a good set of 250 weight merino base layers to use in the quilt for cold nights. Also, this somewhat depends on if your partner sleeps “hot” v “cold”; if she’s the kind of person who wears a parka while sitting at her computer, the 0 may not actually be a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Remember that any listed rating is going to be a "survival" rating and not a "comfort" rating. Look for a bag with an EN standard, and look for the listed comfort rating. A 20F bag is probably comfortable down to 30F or so.

This advice should hold for all of the big bag makers out there. If you go the cottage industry route throw it out the window and go off of user reviews/reputation.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

I've got some sleeping bag questions. REI's Deal of the Day for Saturday is a Kelty Cosmic Down 0 Long sleeping bag. My girlfriend was looking into getting a sleeping bag, and IIRC people recommended Cosmic Downs. I actually bought a Cosmic Down 20 Long recently for a camping trip over the summer. I just ended up using it as bedding because, well, it was hot as balls :shrug:

I'm in Texas, so the likelihood we'd need a sleeping bag rated for that low a temperature is pretty low. Should we avoid it and look for something like another 20 or even a 40 instead? Also, she's not over six feet tall (I am, which is why I got a Long too), so the Long aspect is wasted on her. Is it a problem to have an overly long bag? Obviously it adds extra bulk and a little weight, but besides that. I could also get a regular-sized Cosmic Down 40 for cheaper than that deal. It does sometimes go below 40 degrees here, but not that commonly.

Basically, if not a Cosmic Down, what would you guys recommend? Preferably pretty entry-level when it comes to pricing.

The cosmic down is a pretty good entry level sleeping bag. My wife has a 20 and it's totally adequate. The 0 sounds excessive for your use case. If you don't expect temperatures below 20 in your imminent backpacking/camping future, don't get it. I'd also recommend against getting a long for her. It will just be more airspace to heat up before the whole thing is keeping her warm. Plus more weight which is a negative if you're backpacking. I'd get another 20 in regular or even short depending on her height. Then at least you two are evenly matched. One person toasty warm and one person shivering up a storm at 25 degrees does not make for a good night of camping.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah fair point about having to heat up the extra space. I’m a little confused looking at REI’s site. Is this bag a down version? It says the fill is DriDown. I don’t want to get a synthetic if I can help it.

I think this is the newer version, and it appears to have a down fill as well. Right?

Edit: probably gonna be mostly car camping for now, because I am a stupid newbie when it comes to camping.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 22, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah fair point about having to heat up the extra space. I’m a little confused looking at REI’s site. Is this bag a down version? It says the fill is DriDown. I don’t want to get a synthetic if I can help it.

Yes, if you look in the specs, its in the insulation/fill section:

"Fill 600-fill-power DriDown"

I think a 20º down bag around 2lbs and under $150 is ideal for a first real sleeping bag. 20º is a very flexible range and will be more than enough for the average persons 3 season usage. Add an insulated sleeping pad, or a silk liner and wear some clothes to bed and you can sleep in freezing weather down close to the 20º rating. Zip it open and use it like a blanket for warmer weather. Just don't store it compressed, hanging it or storing it loosely in a big cotton sack is ideal.

And glad someone else said it, don't buy a bag bigger than you need. You want some wiggle room but you don't want to be swimming in it because thats more air you need to warm up.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks for the help, guys!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Just wanted to note that if I were in the market for a 0° bag, I would always get a long-sized one if available. I’m not tall, but in cold conditions tend to stuff things I don’t want freezing into the foot of my bag. At 0°F, that’s batteries, fuel canister, water bottle, inner boots, all electronics, and any wet clothes I need to dry out.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Business of Ferrets posted:

Just wanted to note that if I were in the market for a 0° bag, I would always get a long-sized one if available. I’m not tall, but in cold conditions tend to stuff things I don’t want freezing into the foot of my bag. At 0°F, that’s batteries, fuel canister, water bottle, inner boots, all electronics, and any wet clothes I need to dry out.

this is a good point. if you're just-barely fitting in a standard bag it does make sense to size up so you're never at risk of pulling it too-tight against you and compressing the insulation

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I got a long bag because my dog likes to sleep at the bottom.

I just finished collecting the gear to go backpacking for the first time since I was in high school. Going to try an easy one-night trip this weekend to test it all out

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trying to dry wet clothes in a sleeping bag seems like a bad idea to me. Also I find my feet are always the hardest to keep warm even with socks on so stuffing a bunch of heat sinks down there is also a nope from me.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Trying to dry wet clothes in a sleeping bag seems like a bad idea to me. Also I find my feet are always the hardest to keep warm even with socks on so stuffing a bunch of heat sinks down there is also a nope from me.

Drying wet clothes by body heat in a sleeping bag is standard practice for multi-day winter trips. Warm, dry boot liners beat sticking feet into frozen boots every time! (And will save your toes.)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm always having to fight condensation in my bag, so it doesn't make intuitive sense to me either, but I'm mostly used to the humid southern US.

Last year my wife got her non-waterproof boots soaked through on a snowy hike -- would it have been a good idea to stick those in her bag overnight?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah in cold/wet weather the only effective way to dry things is using body heat. Sticking it at the bottom of your bag probably isn't all that effective, compared to wrapping yourself with the items.. which you can't do with boots but I figured was noteworthy for someone who might find themselves with wet layers.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've dried things by the fire in the past, but that's not very effective tbh, you risk melting them, and fires aren't even an option in lots of places.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last year my wife got her non-waterproof boots soaked through on a snowy hike -- would it have been a good idea to stick those in her bag overnight?

That’s a tough one. Depends on the temperature. If I thought they would freeze solid overnight, they would go in my bag. If I thought they wouldn’t freeze, I would keep them in the tent. (Tent temps can be considerably higher than ambient temps.) Upside of non-waterproof boots is that they will dry quickly on the march once the rain, wet snow, etc., stops; once waterproof boots get wet, they are very difficult to dry out.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Best way to dry things out in the winter is to hope for a really sunny clear day. Lay things out in the sun and it usually drys out some.

I’m so excited for winter camping this year! I should be getting my seal skin gloves made from my friend in Shismaref this month. Looking forward to toasty warm hands.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Any day bag recommendations? I have a CamelBak now that I like a lot but it's got a hole in it and and I've got about $200 of "wellness" money to spend from my job before November. The newer camelbacks don't look very interesting though. Some of the Osprey bags look nice but the last osprey I bought had a squeaky frame that drove me insane so I got rid of it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What size are you thinking? I have the osprey talon 22 and am very very happy with it

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I have a talon, great little speed bag but a bit of an awkward configuration for longer trips.

Stratos 34 has great balance and comfort for a heavier day bag.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have an Osprey Manta 24 and it's great. It's a bit bulkier, but the hip belt on it is super comfortable and carries weight really nice.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My current bag is a rim runner 22. It's got a 3L water bladder that I'd like to keep or at least match in volume. It's stuffed to the gills though so something like 28 or 30L seems like it would be good

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

My girlfriend's dad is a biker turned bird watcher and we want to gift him a wide brim hat for sun protection.

I really like this one in green, but it's out of stock in size large everywhere. Most of Filson's other hats have weird leather headbands or are too formal looking.

Any other dad hat suggestions?

https://www.filson.com/accessories/hats-and-caps/twin-falls-travel-hat.html#sku=20077084-fco-000000057

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A Tilly hat obviously.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Tilly are definitely the gold standard in full brimmed hats for outdoor use.

Another option is Outdoor Research. I'm pretty happy with mine (can't remember the model, got it ages ago), mostly because it's breathable and can be wadded up in my bag.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also have a Columbia boonie hat (I think that is what it is) that I like because it is very light and ventilated but it might be a bit too technical for a Dad Hat.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

My girlfriend's dad is a biker turned bird watcher and we want to gift him a wide brim hat for sun protection.

I really like this one in green, but it's out of stock in size large everywhere. Most of Filson's other hats have weird leather headbands or are too formal looking.

https://www.filson.com/accessories/hats-and-caps/twin-falls-travel-hat.html#sku=20077084-fco-000000057

https://stetson.com/collections/hats-outdoor-cloth/products/diaz-outdoor-hat-brown

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This was even cheaper when I bought it but it's held up for a few years. Metal parts are starting to rust a bit, but what do you want for $15.

LETHMIK Men's Boonie https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XH2JSK7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_R92CQSC5F7W6K76VF14W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: probably not a great gift, but great for a cheap hat to sweat all day in

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 1, 2021

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I have an Outdoor Research Sombriolet. It makes regular Tilley hats look downright fashionable but it's made with much cooler material, is proper ventilated and has an elongated brim on the back which ensures your neck will never get burned.

It fits really snugly without ever being uncomfortable, handles being sandwiched under my pack top without deforming, and for those who like water: floats.

It was my first sun hat. Had it 4 years now and it still looks brand new (and again, goofy as gently caress). One of the easiest recommendations to make from my kit.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i like the rothco boonie hat, which, in addition to being very cheap and available on amazon, comes in actual hat sizes, a critical feature for my 7 7/8 dome

e: mine is od green because my dad started wearing my ucp one and i didn’t have the heart to take it back, so i can confirm it’s a very dad hat

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 1, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I regret all the years I avoided dad hats, they are a massive quality of life improvement on trails. So many years with a baseball cap and burnt ears.

The cargo shorts and knee high socks thing I still don't get though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

kreeningsons posted:

I have that hat! It's worked pretty well for me over the years, no complaints on my end. I wish the brim was like maybe 1/4 smaller but that's about it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xzzy posted:

The cargo shorts and knee high socks thing I still don't get though.

How else are you going to carry a TI graphing calculator with you on the trails?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

cargo shorts

Your kids will want to bring all of this dumb poo poo with them, and then 30 seconds into the hike they will not want to carry it anymore.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I bought a dogshit grocery store wide-brim hat on a lark for a boat trip.

Can confirm, these things are bitchin'

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a decent one. Send help.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I picked up a North Face hat similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/North-Face-Horizon-Breeze-Brimmer/dp/B07TTD4B2P/) in Japan a couple of summers ago and it's perfect. Lightweight and super breathable, packs down pretty well and maintains its shape after unpacking.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I wear compression socks 7 days a week. It's just the weekends that people get to see them with my shorts...

I've stopped in a gas station before a hike and had the clerk ask me where I am going hiking. Pretty sure I am a walking poster for 'middle aged white woman hiker'.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Compression socks are great.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Casu Marzu posted:

I have an Osprey Manta 24 and it's great. It's a bit bulkier, but the hip belt on it is super comfortable and carries weight really nice.

Osprey chat.

I am glad to hear people like the Osprey packs with the tensioned mesh back. The wife and I have been doing a lot of day hikes in the 5 to 15 mile range using just the crappy packs we have randomly collected over the years. SoCal has been pretty hot this year, and the advertised cooling effect of these packs is attractive.

She just got a Sirrus 36 and I have a Manta 34 on order. The reason, we have a 4 day trans Catalina coming up. Because we are old and have no camping equipment, we are using a gear haul service. So it is effectively 4 day hikes totaling 38 miles where we only carry what we need to make it from point to point.

She her pack for the first time yesterday on a 5 miler, 1k vert, with 2L of water and a bunch of random clothes stuffed inside. She likes it so far. We have about 20 miles planned for the weekend, hopefully mine comes in soon.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Trans Catalina is great, and if your itinerary allows I'd recommend taking the extra 9 miles (round trip) to Starlight Beach. Also, pizza from the convenience store in Two Harbors is at least as good as anything from the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only complaint about Osprey is they screwed up the last Exos redesign. They took my favorite pack and ruined it by downgrading the shoulder straps and the hip belt. I currently use Granite Gear and HMG packs, but Osprey can win me back with a new Exos.