Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Here's a load of gimmick campaigns and generally fun campaigns I've had experience with.

Thanks for this. Imrik, Repanse, Khalida and Kemmler were all ones I was thinking about so I'll try those first. Might try ME for all except Repanse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Kemmler is a lot of fun, you get to spamming a lot of high-level necromancers real quick. His starting province kind of sucks but is workable but the cool thing is his faction capitol has a landmark that lets you get mortis engines crazy early. Also you get some variety in potential enemies compared to the Von Carsteins where you almost always just fight empire for the mid game

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Thanks for this. Imrik, Repanse, Khalida and Kemmler were all ones I was thinking about so I'll try those first. Might try ME for all except Repanse.

Rakarth is another really interesting starting location, and he has some nice mechanics to give you big scary toys really early. The only real downside is that you can end up in an Endless Donut War if you're not careful, but otherwise you get to play DElves versus the Old World.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Rakarth is a great campaign since you get to fight a lot of enemies you might not normally face (Empire, Bretonnians, Dwarfs) as the Dark Elves. His voice actor is also really good.

Another way to do gimmick campaigns is with this mod that lets you change your starting settlement. Instead of having to fight your way somewhere and conquer it, just plop your faction leader down wherever you want that seems interesting from turn 1. Put Karl in Naggaroth, start your Wood Elf campaign at that desert Oasis instead of Athel Loren, be Kemmler and give yourself Karak Eight Peaks to start, get Grimgor over in Lustria to beat up lizards for a change, whatever you want. There's also an option to start at a randomly chosen settlement if you're feeling extra daring.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929748031

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

His voice actor is also really good.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
New interview about Miao Ying on CA’s website, mostly about stuff we know already. Maybe there are nuggets I missed.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/who-is-miao-ying-cathay-warhammer-3/

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So have all the issues with cavalry etc. been patched yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dr Christmas posted:

New interview about Miao Ying on CA’s website, mostly about stuff we know already. Maybe there are nuggets I missed.
What the gently caress! :mad:

quote:

What makes her character so compelling?

As a writer, you look for ways to connect and emphasize with your characters. It’s not always easy to do when they’re Warhammer villains such as Settra or Archaon but even then,

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

There is nothing villainous in being the greatest man to ever live or unlive.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Sounds like a filthy nagash lover!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Can't play this game without my favorite mod.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

I also reacted poorly to this unkind characterization of Settra. Guy just wants people to get off his lawn.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Looks like everything's 50% off at least for the next week

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
But I already bought everything

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

She sounds incredibly boiler plate and boring as hell, lore wise. Tell me more about her art school brother who's addled by warpstone, he sounds fun.

Also I really hope they're "at least one piece of news a week" is a bit better than small lore blurbs that tell you basically nothing. At least toss in a screenshot or concept art.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah this is warhammer total war 2 not a historical title, of course you buy every DLC the second it's available without thought.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So have all the issues with cavalry etc. been patched yet?

There's been a patch that fixed most of the bad bugs from the DLC(super chariots, broken aoe spells). Cavalry has a beta patch that has a bunch of changes to their damage values and such for people to try it out and test it out. (the beta patch has now also the changes from the patch)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

smug jeebus posted:

But I already bought everything

Now you can buy a second copy for cheap to solo all the coop achievements

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Electronico6 posted:

There's been a patch that fixed most of the bad bugs from the DLC(super chariots, broken aoe spells). Cavalry has a beta patch that has a bunch of changes to their damage values and such for people to try it out and test it out. (the beta patch has now also the changes from the patch)

Cool, thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They're really gonna give us a slow drip for the next few months, eh? That interview was just a rehash of poo poo we already knew, I don't understand why it even exists.

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

If CA does not include a fatuous legendary lord vs a big-eared villain dlc I will RIOT

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Who is gonna be Master Roshi?

The Advisor/Narrator from all the Total Warhams games?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
East: Fat dragon
South: Bad dragon

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I can never get a Khatep game off the ground. Mountain affinity and chasing hidden patch beastmen is frustrating. I know tomb kings are in a rough place right now but I’m going to use a couple mods, Restless Dead buff and No Insane Growth Requirements, any tips?? I was doing ME but I may switch to vortex.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think SFO has a bunch of changes for Tomb Kings and new units too

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

PlushCow posted:

I can never get a Khatep game off the ground. Mountain affinity and chasing hidden patch beastmen is frustrating. I know tomb kings are in a rough place right now but I’m going to use a couple mods, Restless Dead buff and No Insane Growth Requirements, any tips?? I was doing ME but I may switch to vortex.

It was many patches ago, but I liked vortex Khatep much better than ME. Similarly to the Lustria lord starts, I just feel ME squishes the two western continents too much so I'll only do ME if I am using a lord that starts on either of the two eastern continents.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

PlushCow posted:

I recently finished a vh/vh Khatep campaign. biggest thing was getting necrotect at turn 6 or whatever for the ritual that gives you a special necrotect. so that you can get your capital to tier 3 quickly

afterwards I chain sacked the orcs just above there; since it is mountain terrain you can gain the charnel valley follower. which gives you like -15% construction costs per follower. also by sacking you can get skeletal laborer which gives you -25% construction costs. stack those, on all your heroes and lords, for free buildings with the cheaper construction commandment

I ended up sticking around beating up Malekith and becoming bros with Alith Anar. Sisters and Alith keep mean mugging each other but I could see the other high elves and they were beating back Morathi

also I'm 95% sure the ai behaves different if you've met them or not. like I've anecdotal noticed that high elves eat poo poo to dark elves if you don't meet and trade with them

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Can't play this game without my favorite mod.

Grimgorgeous ❤️

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Gonkish posted:

They're really gonna give us a slow drip for the next few months, eh? That interview was just a rehash of poo poo we already knew, I don't understand why it even exists.

Aren't you excited for next weeks lore blurb about the 2nd Cathay LL without any accompanying information about the actual game or how he'll play?

And so much for finding out about minor settlement battles, sieges and the reveal of the pre-order race (Fishmen). Unless they're just gonna dump all that next week.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Guess them pushing back the game means slower reveals.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm imaging the GW rep with a pistol pressed into the back of the web page dev team lead. When was the last time GW added a 100% new faction whole cloth to Fantasy or 40K? They're going to do this by their own vision 100%, especially if it's a massive central pillar of a new fanbase for Old World. Actual Total War/CA fans will wait patiently or else.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

I'm imaging the GW rep with a pistol pressed into the back of the web page dev team lead. When was the last time GW added a 100% new faction whole cloth to Fantasy or 40K? They're going to do this by their own vision 100%, especially if it's a massive central pillar of a new fanbase for Old World. Actual Total War/CA fans will wait patiently or else.

Depends on what you mean by "whole cloth" the Adeptus Mechanicus was a little more prominent in 40k than Cathay was in fantasy but they had an entirely new army range released a few years back, and of course there have been quite a few that they've added to Age of Sigmar since its release. Plus I see no reason GW would be putting the brakes on CA's marketing when Old World is still several years away from a single release. We will literally be playing Warhammer 3 by the time a single Cathayan model is even previewed.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I mean like "Cathay was maybe 2 paragraphs of text if you pulled every reference ever made to them in everything released since the original Warhammer models" vs stuff like mutating existing Bad Moon Gobbos and Chaos factions into Age of Sigmar armies or expanding factions like Adeptus Mechanicus into armies when they had a pretty big secondary presence with constant appearances in all the lore. Cathay is 99.9% new stuff and the only lore the fanbase has ever really known came from the Ogre Kingdoms handbook.

They should be more generous as the months(it's September!) move along.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sasgrillo posted:

Aren't you excited for next weeks lore blurb about the 2nd Cathay LL without any accompanying information about the actual game or how he'll play?

And so much for finding out about minor settlement battles, sieges and the reveal of the pre-order race (Fishmen). Unless they're just gonna dump all that next week.

At this point we don't know the actual planned release time, but it's at least three months out still. What are you expecting to happen? For CA to just say "here's the game, have fun waiting while we polish"? That was never going to happen. The lore info is better than nothing, and frankly it's more than Kostaltyn got.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mordja posted:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's funny how they try and make tomb kings seem evil or at least menacing, but in almost every game they turn out to be your best friends because their disposition goes up the more powerful you get, while for everyone else it's the opposite. So in late game while every other faction is getting snippy at you, Settra and co are your best buddies, always chill and welcoming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It helps that most of them just want to scrap over araby which nobody else wants except maybe lizards and the french.

Just a bunch of skellies who want to fight other skellies and buy all your dwarf beer for some reason.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's been so long since I've seen any AI Tomb King make it to lategame in any significant way, and even then it's usually just because no other faction wants their lovely deserts.

I usually just keep one of them in my backyard as a free trade agreement ally that never gets pissy at you.

Hell, Settra has a tendency to lose to the generic Brettonian factions in Araby, and I see Repanse take him out entirely regularly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 24, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Tomb Kings were very specifically a force of Order in the End Times and the undead stood side to side with the living against the forces of chaos as the world ended.

They're really just humans cursed with undeath, not some sort of monster-faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Vampire Counts/Coast and Greenskins aren't really allied with Chaos either are they? They seem like their own thing, whereas every other faction either worships some form of chaos god, or is opposed to it.