Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Yinlock posted:

Poor shadow person though, a huge amount of cards are just them getting owned super hard

It's what they deserve for killing all those people in Case Closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Yinlock posted:

Kind of important to note that the brotherhood's bodies were explicitly stated to be total crap. It's not like they gained super-strength or anything, the only real advantages they had were being tougher and immune to physical fatigue.

e: which are significant advantages mind you, but I wouldn't put them at super killbot levels

There's also the electricity and junk.

Electrified chainsword too, plus the strength to use something like that. I wouldn't put them at super killbot level, but still mildly superhuman.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 23, 2021

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Doobeedoo posted:

There's also the electricity and junk.

Electrified chainsword too, plus the strength to use something like that. I wouldn't put them at super killbot level, but still mildly superhuman.

Superhuman by our standards, mind. This is still a world where you can ditch your body for any number of vague reasons and get a shiny new (obviously not human and of vaguely defined upper limits) bod, and there's likely stuff out there on par with or even exceeding something like this.

Honestly, I'd say they were fools to do this. Sure, you don't have to eat, you don't get tired and you don't feel pain (at least in these crapshack hackjobs) but you apparently need brain fluid and you definitely need repairs, and those probably well exceed what you'd spend on food.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 23, 2021

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Materant posted:

Superhuman by our standards, mind. This is still a world where you can ditch your body for any number of vague reasons and get a shiny new (obviously not human and of vaguely defined upper limits) bod, and there's likely stuff out there on par with or even exceeding something like this.

Honestly, I'd say they were fools to do this. Sure, you don't have to eat, you don't get tired and you don't feel pain (at least in these crapshack hackjobs) but you apparently need brain fluid and you definitely need repairs, and those probably well exceed what you'd spend on food.

Absolutely, 100%. By the standards of the City, these bodies, while dangerous in our sense, are low-quality and near the bottom of the totem pole.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why are some Abnormality Pages green and some red? Is that relevant for anything?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junpei posted:

Why are some Abnormality Pages green and some red? Is that relevant for anything?

Green pages are emotionally positive, red pages are emotionally negative, what coins you get changes which pages can show up (more positive coins more chance at green pages, more negative coins more chance at red pages). It's not super relevant right now but it's a thing you can kind of later use to your benefit to aim for Abnormality Pages.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Junpei posted:

Yes. Look back at the explanation of emotions - you get positive emotion coins for good things and negative for bad things, basically, and while the total number of coins decides when emotion levels go up, the relative quantity of them determines which abnormality pages you are more likely to get offered. Green for positive coins, red for negative coins. Red pages have drawbacks. At least, in theory - they don't always follow through on that premise.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Qrr posted:

Yes. Look back at the explanation of emotions - you get positive emotion coins for good things and negative for bad things, basically, and while the total number of coins decides when emotion levels go up, the relative quantity of them determines which abnormality pages you are more likely to get offered. Green for positive coins, red for negative coins. Red pages have drawbacks. At least, in theory - they don't always follow through on that premise.

The inner workings of the system are a bit more complicated than this—and I'll go into it more when we have more Abnormality pages to go through—but yes this is basically how it works.

For the record, they're called Awakening and Breakdown pages, respectively. :eng101:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

The inner workings of the system are a bit more complicated than this
Understatement of the year.

Hmm... I wonder how emotion coins influence Abnormality pages selection. I bet, it is simple weighted choice. Let's check.
...holy mother of god...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The other notable thing about green vs red: green pages are all upside, red pages are often stronger but have a downside.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Yeah, red pages either do some bad things themselves, or alternatively, they activate when a 'bad' thing happens.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game isn't very consistent about the difference.

Shogeton posted:

Yeah, red pages either do some bad things themselves, or alternatively, they activate when a 'bad' thing happens.

Malkuth just got an awakening page that does nothing until you're hit.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...

Acerbatus posted:

The game isn't very consistent about the difference.
Malkuth just got an awakening page that does nothing until you're hit.

Ok, let me see if I can clarify this a bit.

Ashes allows people who attack that librarian to eat burn damage in a thorn like effect, triggering even when one-sided. Yes, it does require the Librarian to get hit, but the Burn after effect can be a bigger return damage for injuring the Librarian involved. It also gives a chance that Librarian will throw even more burn damage down on top of the beating they give.

Ashes kind of encourages you to put it on a Librarian who can easily intercept attacks. Even if he fails the clashes, he will still be doing HP damage in the long run.

Right now, statuses aren't really that threatening right now, but each one will have a point where they SHINE.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Xenav posted:

Ok, let me see if I can clarify this a bit.

Ashes allows people who attack that librarian to eat burn damage in a thorn like effect, triggering even when one-sided. Yes, it does require the Librarian to get hit, but the Burn after effect can be a bigger return damage for injuring the Librarian involved. It also gives a chance that Librarian will throw even more burn damage down on top of the beating they give.

Ashes kind of encourages you to put it on a Librarian who can easily intercept attacks. Even if he fails the clashes, he will still be doing HP damage in the long run.

Right now, statuses aren't really that threatening right now, but each one will have a point where they SHINE.

I think you're misunderstanding the current conversation. We're currently talking about red vs green abnormality pages, and what the difference between them is.

We need to see more pages, but overall green pages don't have drawbacks while red pages vary.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 24, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Qrr posted:

We need to see more pages, but overall green pages don't have drawbacks while red pages vary.

I'd argue that even some green pages come with drawbacks, but I'll get to that when the page in question comes up.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

FANSean posted:

I was always under the impression becoming a fixer at all just came down to signing up for it and passing a basic competency test, so Grade 9 ranges from new hires to tenured fixers who are stuck without the necessary augments to do any better, and Grade 8 is for those who start getting cheaper augments or are talented enough to just barely get by to a higher grade. I'm wondering now what the actual limit is for a completely natural Fixer.
I think it also depends on ambition. If Roland is Grade 9 now but used to be higher and got disgraced, there are clearly ways to move down that don't necessarily involve a loss of skill. Conversely, if someone really likes the lower grade jobs or is fine with just coasting, I could see them having an artificially deflated grade because they just don't bother to test for a higher rank. This is something I've been thinking about because of Wonderlab, because Tai having a fully functioning E.G.O. they're extremely in sync with should definitely put them at a raw power level higher than the grade 8-9 chumps we've seen so far, but they're also new to being a Fixer and has their own agenda that interferes with long, involved jobs. But even with things we've only seen in Ruina, it seems like relying too hard on someone's grade to predict their aptitude might backfire if it means you get complacent.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

PetraCore posted:

I think it also depends on ambition. If Roland is Grade 9 now but used to be higher and got disgraced, there are clearly ways to move down that don't necessarily involve a loss of skill. Conversely, if someone really likes the lower grade jobs or is fine with just coasting, I could see them having an artificially deflated grade because they just don't bother to test for a higher rank. This is something I've been thinking about because of Wonderlab, because Tai having a fully functioning E.G.O. they're extremely in sync with should definitely put them at a raw power level higher than the grade 8-9 chumps we've seen so far, but they're also new to being a Fixer and has their own agenda that interferes with long, involved jobs. But even with things we've only seen in Ruina, it seems like relying too hard on someone's grade to predict their aptitude might backfire if it means you get complacent.

I will completely admit that "Perfectly fine as a Grade 8 or 9" never even occurred to me as a possibility even though I've seen people in real life content to stay at what are considered low end jobs for their lives.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FANSean posted:

I will completely admit that "Perfectly fine as a Grade 8 or 9" never even occurred to me as a possibility even though I've seen people in real life content to stay at what are considered low end jobs for their lives.
Hey, if you've got steady work and the money to do the low-cost things you want to, it could be a lot safer cruising at a low Grade than advancing to the point you might be in over your head. But then, if you were in that position you wouldn't pick up an invitation from the Library, would you?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PetraCore posted:

From what I can remember, given how much mentioning someone's Grade immediately changes characters' attitudes... it seems to be less [videogame Power Level scale based on quantitative ability scores] and more [arbitrary number denoting one's social rank within a culture based on rigidly-hierarchical relationships that require those with 'superior' status be treated with excessive respect/deference]

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

PetraCore posted:

Hey, if you've got steady work and the money to do the low-cost things you want to, it could be a lot safer cruising at a low Grade than advancing to the point you might be in over your head. But then, if you were in that position you wouldn't pick up an invitation from the Library, would you?

One problem I see with that is low Grade fixers tend to belong to offices or syndicates rather than working solo (besides Finn... :smith:), which means that you might be obligated to go to the Library in their stead if you're lucky. You can strike out on your own, but I think that'd put a massive target on your back for things like Rats or Sweepers that can ambush and swarm an otherwise stronger solo fighter. I think even if you survive those you'd end up attracting a lot of attention, so I'm not sure if intentionally slacking would keep you that safe from the Library or other threats.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

dervival posted:

One problem I see with that is low Grade fixers tend to belong to offices or syndicates rather than working solo (besides Finn... :smith:),

Finn was a member of Yun’s Office, and Yun actively chose to send him to the Library without backup. At least, that’s how I remember it. Not in a good position to double-check.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

dervival posted:

You can strike out on your own, but I think that'd put a massive target on your back for things like Rats or Sweepers that can ambush and swarm an otherwise stronger solo fighter.

Admittedly I think if you get taken by the Sweepers you made some bad choices that lead to you being on the streets at night.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

dervival posted:

One problem I see with that is low Grade fixers tend to belong to offices or syndicates rather than working solo (besides Finn... :smith:), which means that you might be obligated to go to the Library in their stead if you're lucky. You can strike out on your own, but I think that'd put a massive target on your back for things like Rats or Sweepers that can ambush and swarm an otherwise stronger solo fighter. I think even if you survive those you'd end up attracting a lot of attention, so I'm not sure if intentionally slacking would keep you that safe from the Library or other threats.
But if you're Grade 8 you can be running your own office with your unambitious Grade 8-9 friends!

Not saying it'd be easy to pull off, and nothing seems to ensure safety in the City, just that a competent slacker Fixer in the vein of Zaida would be funny.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Taii always struck me as an amusing booby-trap in that respect. It's apparent her actual grade is low, and I'm wondering how many people tried to mess with her due to that and....

I'll say that being unambitious would naturally lead to you being weaker. You get less money, so you get less upgrades and such. The Wonderlab example is such an anomaly that I don't see it really happening often.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Grade is not always a matter of power. Those guys from the Hook Office were all Grade 9 (iirc) and they could wipe the floor with Grade 8 fixers like Eri or Yun. But they've only been employed as Fixers for a very short time so they haven't had time to advance up the ranks.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Grade is not always a matter of power. Those guys from the Hook Office were all Grade 9 (iirc) and they could wipe the floor with Grade 8 fixers like Eri or Yun. But they've only been employed as Fixers for a very short time so they haven't had time to advance up the ranks.

Yup. The guy with the higher-rarity Key Page was Grade 8 instead, but you're completely right other than that.
I'd guess the tendency to rampage and kill more than they have to would be another reason they're ranked more lowly?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Doobeedoo posted:

Yup. The guy with the higher-rarity Key Page was Grade 8 instead, but you're completely right other than that.
I'd guess the tendency to rampage and kill more than they have to would be another reason they're ranked more lowly?

No, no. More murder is a selling point not a negative.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MinutePirateBug posted:

No, no. More murder is a selling point not a negative.

Not if you keep killing twenty extra people for free.

You gotta think about your margins and your money per kill.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Night10194 posted:

Not if you keep killing twenty extra people for free.

You gotta think about your margins and your money per kill.

The trick is to keep your services overpriced enough so, even if you throw in 20 more murders, you will still come out in the green. Then you will get people lining up, hoping to catch your "slaughter special", thinking, that they would get a good deal.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 24, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Keldulas posted:

Taii always struck me as an amusing booby-trap in that respect. It's apparent her actual grade is low, and I'm wondering how many people tried to mess with her due to that and....

I'll say that being unambitious would naturally lead to you being weaker. You get less money, so you get less upgrades and such. The Wonderlab example is such an anomaly that I don't see it really happening often.
Hmmm, you're right. You'd either need access to an upgrade from a different source, like the Wonderlab example, or to be really really skilled at using lesser upgrades, or to have lost ranks because of professionalism issues, in which case you've probably made enemies more in line with your former Grade so you're not really safer.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

MiiNiPaa posted:

The trick is to keep your services overpriced enough so, even if you throw in 20 more murders, you will still come out in the green. Then you will get people lining up, hoping to catch your "slaughter special", thinking, that they would get a good deal.

Capitalism, ho!

MetaMeme posted:

It's what they deserve for killing all those people in Case Closed

Pretty big body count in Dangan Ronpa, too, though he did try to go for a different palette then, at least. I don’t get why you would rebrand when you’re still a merciless, psychotic murderer, but hey, everyone deserves to feel good about their image, right?

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Mecha_Face posted:

I don’t get why you would rebrand when you’re still a merciless, psychotic murderer, but hey, everyone deserves to feel good about their image, right?

Being suspiciously grey and naked is a surprisingly popular augment it seems, a 2 for 1 on durability and anonymity!

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 24, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the ambiguously grey duo

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
Their names are redacted for the record

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If you don't like any of the Abnormality pages that come up, can you skip, or pass, or do you have to put one on when the Emotion level rises?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
The latter.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Junpei posted:

If you don't like any of the Abnormality pages that come up, can you skip, or pass, or do you have to put one on when the Emotion level rises?

this is Very Funny when you're using, for example, Malkuth's floor and the only Abnormality you have for her is Scorched Girl. Depending on your emotions, you WILL be assigned the page that turns librarians into suicide bombers whether you like it or not.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
That seems perfectly in line with what we know about Abnormalities from LobCorp, and I'm all for it because I'm never actually going to play through this game and get enraged by this.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

ZeroCount posted:

this is Very Funny when you're using, for example, Malkuth's floor and the only Abnormality you have for her is Scorched Girl. Depending on your emotions, you WILL be assigned the page that turns librarians into suicide bombers whether you like it or not.

Just kill them before they kill you dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

ZeroCount posted:

Isn't that a Tier II card? I thought we couldn't use those with only one abnormality beaten.