Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Are there any stream apps apart from Netflix that are good. CBS/Paramount sucks, Hulu sucks, Amazon is awful

hulu works fine for me, doesn't fight my ad-blocker, but then maybe my buddy pays for the ad-free.

Netflix browser doesn'y play HD content which kind of sucks. Supposedly the app does, but in my experience the app didn't play well with other programs or games and also didn't let you screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mooseontheloose posted:

At least Amazon seperates into seasons and knows where you left off and will play in order.

You LIKE separated seasons? Interesting. I'm like, why is it like this?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Every R&D group needs that 1 guy who signed a waiver of liability and therefore has license to try the most absurd and ridiculous out-of-the-box ideas!

"WHOSE DNA DID YOU SPLICE INTO THE TRIBBLES?"

"Mine."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Human scientists in Star Trek are like that one friend who just breaks videogames in unexpected ways. The one that figures out how to abuse physics to make things fall out of the world, or launch players at insane velocities just with a box and a well-timed door.

Only now they do it with actual physics to the utter horror of the galaxy at-large.

"We left our senior researcher alone in a room with an analogue clock, a battery, a tricorder, and a comm badge. When we came back the clock was turning backwards, the battery was drained, and he'd turned into a toddler. And we don't know how :cripes:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Human scientists in Star Trek are like that one friend who just breaks videogames in unexpected ways. The one that figures out how to abuse physics to make things fall out of the world, or launch players at insane velocities just with a box and a well-timed door.

Only now they do it with actual physics to the utter horror of the galaxy at-large.

"We left our senior researcher alone in a room with an analogue clock, a battery, a tricorder, and a comm badge. When we came back the clock was turning backwards, the battery was drained, and he'd turned into a toddler. And we don't know how :cripes:"

Dr. Josh, CMO of the USS Let's Game It Out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Dr. Josh, CMO of the USS Let's Game It Out

"Hey there; It's Josh and welcome back to 'Let's Science It Out'. Today we're in a remote star system and we're going to be playing with these warp cores the Vulcan Science Directorate kindly lent us. To the Vulcan Science Directorate; I'm sorry in advance..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hey there; It's Josh and welcome back to 'Let's Science It Out'. Today we're in a remote star system and we're going to be playing with these warp cores the Vulcan Science Directorate kindly lent us. To the Vulcan Science Directorate; I'm sorry in advance..."

"...So then that got me thinking, just how MANY Mr. Datas can this new replicator make, anyway?" [Several Hours Later] "Okay, so as you can see I depleted an entire star system's worth of raw materials and there are now so many Datas just floating around out there that they've coalesced into a Dyson Sphere. They also have so much mass they're slowing the flow of time. I think we need to get outta here. Ensign Grace, warp ten! Well I'm gonna try to forget about this by turning myself into a lizard. I hope you had fun. I know I did."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bilirubin posted:

"WHOSE DNA DID YOU SPLICE INTO THE TRIBBLES?"

"Mine."

I absolutely hate that Short Trek. It's dumber than the dumbest episode of Voyager AND it's a totally unnecessary ~~*~origin story~*~~.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I really wonder how non-human civilizations discovered warp flight, because I’m pretty sure most of them didn’t first achieve warp 1 by riding a nuclear warhead into space while spectacularly hungover.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

"...So then that got me thinking, just how MANY Mr. Datas can this new replicator make, anyway?" [Several Hours Later] "Okay, so as you can see I depleted an entire star system's worth of raw materials and there are now so many Datas just floating around out there that they've coalesced into a Dyson Sphere. They also have so much mass they're slowing the flow of time. I think we need to get outta here. Ensign Grace, warp ten! Well I'm gonna try to forget about this by turning myself into a lizard. I hope you had fun. I know I did."

"Did you know reality has a framerate? Well it turns out it does, and it's getting real slow...."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blastron posted:

I really wonder how non-human civilizations discovered warp flight, because I’m pretty sure most of them didn’t first achieve warp 1 by riding a nuclear warhead into space while spectacularly hungover.

While blaring a lovely remix of Magic Carpet Ride over a loudspeaker.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm assuming by having large groups of science type people thinking and experimenting with the technology for large periods of time in safe lab type environments and test fields.

Or asking their local god entity for one really, really nicely.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Paper Lion posted:

it could have been an issue if it was a spec script character or something but staff writer contributions are a lot easier to defend as being something belonging to the show that they can own and reuse as they wish. i would assume staff contracts had clauses about work produced belonging to the studio.

i wish more fat people were in star trek

Now i wonder if Starfleet has any kind of physical training requirements? Disco showed them going for a run through the ship, but I don't know if they expect to keep certain times.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V-Men posted:

Now i wonder if Starfleet has any kind of physical training requirements? Disco showed them going for a run through the ship, but I don't know if they expect to keep certain times.

I think replicators kinda put paid to obesity in general unless you REALLY go for gorging yourself (Or just go for "real" food constantly), simply because it's stated that while you're getting something like a chocolate sundae that tastes and looks right it's made up of none of the naughty fats, sugars, and calories a real one is. Theoretically you could have a full rack of ribs, chips, and sides morning noon and night and still merely be getting a nutritionally balanced diet from its actual composition.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's probably a lax minimum requirement of being able to lift X kilos at standard gravity... or travel 100m in X seconds. It can get ableist which probably isn't what Starfleet should be about.

Some species just might not be able to run as fast as others, and I don't think the Federation would forbid a Horta from joining Starfleet.

Or an avian/aquatic species just because they can't run on land or inside a corridor fast.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Did you know reality has a framerate? Well it turns out it does, and it's getting real slow...."

It actually kind of does. It's called planck time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Planck time is just an artefact of the existence of the Planck length in a universe with a hard capped speed of light.

Fight me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Planck time is just an artefact of the existence of the Planck length in a universe with a hard capped speed of light.

Fight me.

This battle will be waged in unmeasurable scales of time and space with no discernable probabilistic distinction between the different positions.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh are we doing Stephen Baxter discussion again

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I thought it was Michael Moorcock tbh

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No need to fight, this is absolutely true. There's nothing significant about Planck units other than that in certain contexts they are easier to work with.

When physicists discuss Planck time or length as some kind of limit, it's more because our equations aren't able to deal with those regimes rather than the universe itself having some kind of pixel size.

Also, not all Planck units are tiny or huge. The Planck impedance is ~30 ohms, you could probably get a bag full of Planck resistors from Alibaba for like 12 cents.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Planks were just invented as a unit of measurement because science people were just cranky they couldn't use the imperial system of measurement with all it's cool whimsical sounding made up measurement names anymore!

Science people like whimsy too you know. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Planks were just invented as a unit of measurement because science people were just cranky they couldn't use the imperial system of measurement with all it's cool whimsical sounding made up measurement names anymore!

Science people like whimsy too you know. :(

Googolplex lmbo

And yes I realize that's more navel gazing mathematicians than actual scientists

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Spaghettification, Quarks, Thagomizer

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
nuclear pasta

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The sonic hedgehog gene.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Finally, a rogue AI gets owned.

EVIL COMPUTER PRISON.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 23, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

no! billips loves his virginity!

always great lines in this show

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My royal guards are trained from birth to skip foreplay!

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Gonz posted:

Finally, a rogue AI gets owned.

EVIL COMPUTER PRISON.

I WILL BLIND YOU!

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

Azhais posted:

My royal guards are trained from birth to skip foreplay!

Did his kingdom come?!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Mx. posted:

no! billips loves his virginity!

always great lines in this show

Paul Scheer's wife is doing the voice of Billup's mother. I'm dying.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

well that was a fun take on the typical lwaxana troi story

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh hey look what the lower decks people uploaded in massive size

Also, the royal starship really reminds me of another ship but I can't quite put my finger on it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 23, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That railing around the command chairs is such an OSHA issue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure which word it was but somewhere around the licorice tree the evil computer said something and I was like COMBS YESSS

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Now that Star Trek Online made Lower Decks main cast lookalikes with their engine, I fully expect the series to do a throwaway joke about "they did a render of Cerritos for learning purposes and we do not look anything like ourselves on that".

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man I loving loved this episode. Jeffrey Combs is just so good.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Black licorice, BLACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Black licorice, BLACK