Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I dunno for sure, but when I play Kouma with my friends they get stuck in a strike/throw mix on wake up and it makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poe meater posted:

How strong are throws in melty blood? I know there are throw enders but that's about all I know.

Are there true grapplers?
Kouma and Satsuki exist but most of their command grabs are blockable. Sacchin gets a lot of use out of just run up grab though. In general throws are pretty good, but it varies depending on character and matchup.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Gologle posted:

IIRC, it's because, and don't quote me on this, I could be incorrect, the character designer, and this is just a guess on my part, but I have a strong suspicion about it, loving sucks.

EDIT: Also it just occurred to me that Roa's full name is Michael Roa Valdamjong. Meaning everyone calls Roa by his middle name, which in some cases is fine, but Michael is also a perfectly fine name to call someone by, and you can even shorten it to Mike.

Mike the Vampire.

This reminds me: what's the explanation for the "fair mids michael" meme? I've seen a couple that made me chuckle but it's such a random name.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
C-Roa is one of the best characters in MBAACC largely due to his incredible ability to control space thanks to his lightning balls and lightning super. All of these moves are mid but they are notorious for Roa eating up an assload of space and giving him free reign of the fight if the opponent isn't able to navigate them well and close distance. Which is very hard to do because these same lightning balls release lightning that covers the screen in it when he decides to do so and they are air unblockable. So it mostly pokes fun at the fact that all Roa really does is throw out mids and is still a terror despite that. This is a largely simplified way to explain it though, as a lot more goes into it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 25, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm looking for ideas on how to build a Ruby Heart centric ratio team, my first instinct is Ruby/Morrigan shell but I can't decide on my anchor. I tried Gambit and Thanos out just for the combo extension aspect of it but eh.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

arcueid is one of the most powerful vampires, but she tries to restrain her bloodlust. thus she sleeps for hundreds of years and only wakes up to go beat up noted evil vampire roa whenever he resurrects, because thats a thing roa can do.

red arcueid is her fully giving into her vampiric side.

Thank you for that explanation; not quite Orochi in the sense of being possessed by a deity wanting to do.. things, but still a kind of berserk mode.

Welp, looks like Arcueid is who I’ll be trying the most, Red and normal

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

I'm looking for ideas on how to build a Ruby Heart centric ratio team, my first instinct is Ruby/Morrigan shell but I can't decide on my anchor. I tried Gambit and Thanos out just for the combo extension aspect of it but eh.

i really like sabertooth with projectile assist. you can probably get sabertooth infinite off of ruby heart assist also. saber has good dhc synergies with a lot of teams as well. im picking bbhood/juggernaut/sabertooth for ratio and am liking saber a lot.

edit: theres always ken AAA but hes really not good. capam aaa is workable also if you really need one

Zand fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 25, 2021

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

This reminds me: what's the explanation for the "fair mids michael" meme? I've seen a couple that made me chuckle but it's such a random name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov13bCq-RCk

And yet it's still all mid.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

i really like sabertooth with projectile assist. you can probably get sabertooth infinite off of ruby heart assist also. saber has good dhc synergies with a lot of teams as well. im picking bbhood/juggernaut/sabertooth for ratio and am liking saber a lot.

edit: theres always ken AAA but hes really not good. capam aaa is workable also if you really need one

Oh, yeah, he was also a character I tried out, actually, that assist seemed pretty good. Morrigan kinda covers my AA assist need when she's not on point, it's just a kinda awkward comp (and that's what ratio is all about, I suppose). Guess I'll lab that team a bit more.

This is the first time I extensively played around with MVC2 and it's 1) really janky in a lot of ways and 2) really fun when you start finding silly stuff. Pity it's got Old Game resources, the SRK wiki is a mess too.

Ruby Heart is also a really cool character, I could see myself just playing Ruby/Blackheart/Doom or some dumb BS like that.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Midds Michaelson

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dias posted:

Oh, yeah, he was also a character I tried out, actually, that assist seemed pretty good. Morrigan kinda covers my AA assist need when she's not on point, it's just a kinda awkward comp (and that's what ratio is all about, I suppose). Guess I'll lab that team a bit more.

This is the first time I extensively played around with MVC2 and it's 1) really janky in a lot of ways and 2) really fun when you start finding silly stuff. Pity it's got Old Game resources, the SRK wiki is a mess too.

Ruby Heart is also a really cool character, I could see myself just playing Ruby/Blackheart/Doom or some dumb BS like that.

playing dumb teams and characters was like 90% of the fun for me in mvc2

Usually servebot centered

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

poe meater posted:

How strong are throws in melty blood? I know there are throw enders but that's about all I know.

Are there true grapplers?

Not really, there's like, Kouma who has a pretty good command throw and that's about it. Satsuki has a blockable "throw" and like a bigger one that costs meter but she's not really a grappler despite having grabby type moves. Like you do strike/throw poo poo for sure but throws don't seem as strong as they are in say, Guilty Gear, because everyone has an extremely fast 2A and most command throws seem to have a billion frames of startup and I'm not sure you can get big damage off of throws. Then again I'm bad at Melty so someone might correct me.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dias posted:

Ruby Heart is a natural fit for any chip damage/lockdown based team thanks to Sublination both as a point character and as her alpha assist and some very large buttons to stop the opponent from just moving freely, especially j.Fierce and c.Roundhouse.- My normal team for most of the game's life was Venom/Doom/X (usually Commando or Sentinel) and Venom/Ruby paired with Marrow, Jin, Ken, or Anakaris has been a pretty natural extension of that particular team design for the ratio system- Marrow is a full lockdown team with any of the three characters capable of executing it as long as a non-Venom character still lives in the back but lacks a good plan B, Anakaris and Jin give alternate win conditions that pair well with Ruby (Anakaris/Ruby was a pretty well known pair already for how easily Ruby-a sets up Anakaris semi-infinite on incoming targets) and Ken is probably the best all-in second assist for the Venom/Ruby lockdown strategy.

Otherwise, Schwarzelle makes for some amazingly ambiguous situations paired with assists that do heavy stun or damage on the ground. Ruby/Tron can do a lot of work but sticks you with a potato for the final character. Ruby/Zangief might be worth looking at since Metal Zangief lariat can be very frustrating to deal with in constant cross-up situations, and still leaves you with two Ratio points. Akuma, Doom, Chun all work well with this mindset, and a glitched Juggernaut assist can probably just be a Ruby Heart wincon with this plan in mind.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 25, 2021

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Melty blood is a pretty good looking game. Nice backgrounds and stuff. Len blocking with neco arc is also very funny.

Neco arc might just be funny in general.... I don't know why

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dias posted:

regarding old game secret tech, the biggest thing with saber is the infinite and also his meter dump ability as last character. if you press a1+a2 and you have saber set as projectile assist and hes last, it will do his birdie projectile super and he can move immediately. he can chain the supers together so its excellent to dump meter in if he is your anchor... combos on hit 5 times like a lovely ahvb loop

ruby is a really neat character, just dashing with low chain into sweep xx pillar with assists like doom in there is very very effective. i think she is really strong in low tier

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

poe meater posted:

Melty blood is a pretty good looking game. Nice backgrounds and stuff. Len blocking with neco arc is also very funny.

It's because her eyes imply no presence of brain activity whatsoever.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I got the new Power Rangers season pass on switch and lol Adam’s install makes the game run like poo poo. Maybe just have him glow instead of have shadows for this version or something, guys?

Edit: for about another week, the Virtual On collection is on sale on Japanese PSN for a little under 2000 yen. Be warned that it has NO OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER but if that doesn’t bother you, I think this is the cheapest I’ve seen it

Edit2: also just bringing up since I’m on the subject, a reminder to anyone looking for more Virtual On, A Certain Magical Virtual On still never came back to PSN store but isn’t crazy expensive to buy physical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RFCX6C/

Same “no offline multiplayer” boat as the other one but hey it’s anime robots

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 25, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MechaX posted:

Thank you for that explanation; not quite Orochi in the sense of being possessed by a deity wanting to do.. things, but still a kind of berserk mode.

Welp, looks like Arcueid is who I’ll be trying the most, Red and normal

A good choice arc owns and id love to see her shitpost magical girl version as a dlc character

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Since we're not in the old fighting game era anymore, I wonder if people are gonna lose their absolute poo poo if any dlc chars are alt forms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doubtful because plenty of FGs have alt forms as DLC these days

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'd definitely want unique designs before the alts start flooding in. Give me Aoko or Len before V. Akiha or Mech Hisui please.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

Since we're not in the old fighting game era anymore, I wonder if people are gonna lose their absolute poo poo if any dlc chars are alt forms.

Considering that FoghterZ is 50% alts, probably not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not only is fighterz 50% alts but going by steam review counts andnsuch ssj4 gogeta sold like 4x as much as roshi

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The people who would scrutinize Melty for it are the same people who scrutinized DBFZ over it, but more annoying because Melty has less characters to pull from and some of the alt forms are pretty beloved. It seems between Arc and Red Arc they are doing more to visually and functionally distinguish them too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That said, of the alt characters:

Sion isn't in the game so no Tatari Sion.
Tohno's already eaten up a lot of Nanaya's moves so I doubt he's in.
Akiha seems like she already has some of Seifuku Akiha's moves.
No Neco Arc so no Neco Arc Chaos.
Len isn't in so no White Len.
Red Arc is already in.

That leaves V. Akiha, Mech Hisui, and Powered Ciel. V. Akiha feels like something they'd save for the release of the second Tsuki Remake game with the Akiha route, Mech Hisui might be too goofy for something that's ostensibly canon and takes place during the game. So IMO the most likely alt. version to get added is Powered Ciel, who's also the least like her original version seeing as she has a completely different sprite set and outfit.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Plus, Mech-Hisui was only around thanks to TATARI shenanigans so she'd probably be out anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Red Arc was too, I wouldn't really underestimate a character's ability to get in because of previous lore. They seem to be pretty cool with integrating old stuff into new canon and are pretty flexible in the ways they'll do so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Powered Ciel is my main so I hope she gets added.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
all the dlc is neko versions of the cast

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

I got the new Power Rangers season pass on switch and lol Adam’s install makes the game run like poo poo. Maybe just have him glow instead of have shadows for this version or something, guys?

Edit: for about another week, the Virtual On collection is on sale on Japanese PSN for a little under 2000 yen. Be warned that it has NO OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER but if that doesn’t bother you, I think this is the cheapest I’ve seen it

Edit2: also just bringing up since I’m on the subject, a reminder to anyone looking for more Virtual On, A Certain Magical Virtual On still never came back to PSN store but isn’t crazy expensive to buy physical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RFCX6C/

Same “no offline multiplayer” boat as the other one but hey it’s anime robots
You can also play Oratorio Tangram on flycast rollback but it's the DC version so it's not the "final" version 5.66 that's on PS4/XBLA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Red Arc was too, I wouldn't really underestimate a character's ability to get in because of previous lore. They seem to be pretty cool with integrating old stuff into new canon and are pretty flexible in the ways they'll do so.
Kouma was also only in the game due to Tatari, he was just based on Shiki's imagined fears of him. This is also the case in kagetsu tohya, so kouma never actually made a physical appearance in the original timeline short of one flash back of Shiki's dad in the Tsukihime side stories.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Will the steam port of this be good? Thinking about picking this up for PC, as Melty Blood is meant to be played :'colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Will the steam port of this be good? Thinking about picking this up for PC, as Melty Blood is meant to be played :'colbert:
the pc ports of unist have been really good minus the netcode, and theyve confirmed rollback for this, so

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Just the fact its not releasing on pc like two years late is a great improvement

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There’s no discount or bonus or anything for preordering this digital-only game so it isn’t a bad idea to wait until the day after release to see if any of the versions are bad ports. The most you’ll lose is a few hours of play

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

That said, of the alt characters:

Sion isn't in the game so no Tatari Sion.
Tohno's already eaten up a lot of Nanaya's moves so I doubt he's in.
Akiha seems like she already has some of Seifuku Akiha's moves.
No Neco Arc so no Neco Arc Chaos.
Len isn't in so no White Len.
Red Arc is already in.

That leaves V. Akiha, Mech Hisui, and Powered Ciel. V. Akiha feels like something they'd save for the release of the second Tsuki Remake game with the Akiha route, Mech Hisui might be too goofy for something that's ostensibly canon and takes place during the game. So IMO the most likely alt. version to get added is Powered Ciel, who's also the least like her original version seeing as she has a completely different sprite set and outfit.

Afaik the Lumina version of Akiha is exclusively based off of Seifuku so regular Akiha could still be possible.

TulliusCicero posted:

Uni PC ports were serviceable but with a couple annoying issues that never got resolved (online locked to steam download region, alt-tab crashes when in fullscreen)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally my favorite Melty Blood Lore is that kouma killed shiki's entire birth family, the nanayas, on makihisa tohno's order, and then makihisa adopted shiki into the tohno clan. shiki left to live with the arimas, a branch family, and... then kouma just kinda went and bummed around the tohno house for like 4 years. like he lived with akiha and the maids. they only sent him away so shiki wouldn't have to live with the guy who killed his family.

the gently caress did those dinner conversations look like

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

poe meater posted:

Reiley posted:

It's because her eyes imply no presence of brain activity whatsoever.

neco arc is the funniest thing anything has been to me in years.

https://twitter.com/succadime/status/1431842275798052865?s=21

https://twitter.com/hideki_naganuma/status/1439988283795075075?s=21

https://twitter.com/vnsalesman/status/1440347542286323715?s=21

https://twitter.com/necoposting/status/1441376736063549446?s=21

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There is something funny to me about the fact that the first ever Nendoroid was Neco Arc. It just makes so much sense to start there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFS_0e1v4EQ

ok i'm done.