Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

Something about direct injection makes my Cayman sound like a washing machine full of hammers at idle too. Startups make onlookers pog out of their minds even though I have the completely stock non-PSE exhaust.

Some dumb pictures for the thread from today's sunset run full of maximum iso grain and maybe some new stickers:

Very nice, though it looks like spacers in the back would be an improvement :)

e: a shameful snype. Have some dogges

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ranzear posted:

Something about direct injection makes my Cayman sound like a washing machine full of hammers at idle too. Startups make onlookers pog out of their minds even though I have the completely stock non-PSE exhaust.

Some dumb pictures for the thread from today's sunset run full of maximum iso grain and maybe some new stickers:

HPFPs are quite loud.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've got that recall coming down on the rear axle carrier, so maybe later. Those caked out Contis filled out the well way better than the potenza already.

Also it whizzes like a Goldwing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MetaJew posted:

HPFPs are quite loud.

And injectors. And weird things to do with cold start valve timing that changes combustion noises for the sake of emissions. Pretty neat compared to cars of yore.

Also that Porsche is pretty despite the stickers. :v:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Do we talk about the yellow headlight tint and Hoonigan license plate frames then?

I'm also thinking of getting a vanity plate: PORCH

If I took this car seriously it'd kill me.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 21, 2021

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Dat rear end!

:yes:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
As people are posting sports cars, I feel emboldened to share my own piece of folly, which I collected a couple of weeks ago. I have dreamed of owning the now old shape Aston ever since the DB9 was released. After a torrid but fruitful few years with work I have rewarded myself with a weekend/non-family car. I've missed driving with the roof down since parting with my MX-5 (Miata) 15 or so years ago, so I had to get a roadster. It's a car for driving, not going from A to B, so I wanted a manual. And who needs the pointless rear "seats" of the DB9, plus again, it's a weekend fun car, so instead of that model, but equally beautiful (in my eyes anyway), I am now the extremely happy owner of a 2009 manual V8 Vantage Roadster. I am in total love with it.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 21, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Very very good. They’re an absolute bargain atm and I love them. Much prettier than the current crop. Congrats and also; do a burnout.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bape Culture posted:

Much prettier than the current crop.

Agreed.

quote:

Congrats and also; do a burnout.

Thank you! No burnouts are planned, though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

V8 Vantage Roadster :discourse:

When I moved earlier in the year and sold my Boxster I flirted with the idea of a V8 Vantage over a 987 Boxster S. I went with the Boxster as I am mid engine 4 lyfe but there were a few vantages available near me singing their siren song.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thank you! No burnouts are planned, though.

Very pretty car. And boo!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
it's so pretty

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

As people are posting sports cars, I feel emboldened to share my own piece of folly, which I collected a couple of weeks ago.

That's a winner.

Also to anyone else lurking... Just post. If you've posted before. Post again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I dropped the R off for detailing, ceramic coating, and tint.

I should get it back Friday and will post so hard.

:toot: I am super super excited. :toot:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I’m getting my dumb evo back from the shop hopefully this week after boiling the brake fluid at my last track day. Adding more negative camber. Stupider tires. More expensive fluids. A colossal moron driving it. Gonna be good.

Over the season I swapped out the old stock front rotors for these two piece girodisc ones that are fantastic until the fluid gives up on you.

E: oh and this happened the day before I took it in which made me laugh

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 22, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

StormDrain posted:

Doggo learned to open his own window.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gigi Galli posted:

Over the season I swapped out the old stock front rotors for these two piece girodisc ones that are fantastic until the fluid gives up on you.

Those sure are nice :swoon: Do you have any ducting? Evo has a bit of weight but track pads, high temp fluid and some ducting should be good.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Doggo in a M wagon, nice.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

That is so cute. Does he do it all the time now he's figured it out?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

I had a Mitsubishi Galant for a very short time. I was taking my dogs to the dog park in it. My bigger dog Peanut stepped on the window control in the armrest, rolled the window all the way down, and then jumped out of the car at a stoplight. Thankfully no other cars were around and I got him back in the car safely. That was the day I learned what window lock switches were really for.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

I’m getting my dumb evo back from the shop hopefully this week after boiling the brake fluid at my last track day. Adding more negative camber. Stupider tires. More expensive fluids. A colossal moron driving it. Gonna be good.

E: oh and this happened the day before I took it in which made me laugh

post the evo

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

That is so cute. Does he do it all the time now he's figured it out?

This was during our annual trip to the Scottish highlands where we're driving for 10+ hours with a load of luggage. We put a child's mattress across the back seat so he can be closer to us for this journey but he usually travels in the boot/trunk for shorter trips, so he's not had the opportunity since. I disabled the rear controls after I noticed!

PBCrunch posted:

I had a Mitsubishi Galant for a very short time. I was taking my dogs to the dog park in it. My bigger dog Peanut stepped on the window control in the armrest, rolled the window all the way down, and then jumped out of the car at a stoplight. Thankfully no other cars were around and I got him back in the car safely. That was the day I learned what window lock switches were really for.

When he's in the back of a car we use something like this to secure him to prevent an escape ... or him trying to get in the front with us. The latter did happen - a 7st dog on your knee is not ideal, even as a passenger.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Old photo but it’s the best one I have on my phone.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Those sure are nice :swoon: Do you have any ducting? Evo has a bit of weight but track pads, high temp fluid and some ducting should be good.

Thanks! I have track pads and am using rbf600 but I haven’t put ducts in yet. It only happens at Pocono; the straight in the configuration I’ve run in is really too short to properly cool everything off and the rest of the track is heavy on the brakes. I actually tried different lines this year with different, shorter, and more abrupt braking points which did help a bit but not enough.

I’ll probably put in ducts over the winter; take out the fog lights for the openings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Old photo but it’s the best one I have on my phone.

Thanks! I have track pads and am using rbf600 but I haven’t put ducts in yet. It only happens at Pocono; the straight in the configuration I’ve run in is really too short to properly cool everything off and the rest of the track is heavy on the brakes. I actually tried different lines this year with different, shorter, and more abrupt braking points which did help a bit but not enough.

I’ll probably put in ducts over the winter; take out the fog lights for the openings.

Good looking car. those things are a lot of fun on track. Definitely look at ducting, sure it's one track now but as you get faster it'll be more tracks.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

As people are posting sports cars, I feel emboldened to share my own piece of folly, which I collected a couple of weeks ago. I have dreamed of owning the now old shape Aston ever since the DB9 was released. After a torrid but fruitful few years with work I have rewarded myself with a weekend/non-family car. I've missed driving with the roof down since parting with my MX-5 (Miata) 15 or so years ago, so I had to get a roadster. It's a car for driving, not going from A to B, so I wanted a manual. And who needs the pointless rear "seats" of the DB9, plus again, it's a weekend fun car, so instead of that model, but equally beautiful (in my eyes anyway), I am now the extremely happy owner of a 2009 manual V8 Vantage Roadster. I am in total love with it.

This is awesome. I'm really curious to hear your experience. I've many a time considered selling my hoard of cars and downsizing to just two nice cars. One being a DB9 and the other a Porsche.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

the spyder posted:

This is awesome. I'm really curious to hear your experience. I've many a time considered selling my hoard of cars and downsizing to just two nice cars. One being a DB9 and the other a Porsche.

Happy to comment on anything you're curious about. Caveat of course being I've only had it 2 and a half weeks.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I’ve come to boring up the thread a little bit, too many fancy and fun cars lately!

I did something stupid and bought a used car at the absolute height of used car pricing but this one seemed like a good deal. It’s not the 7 passenger family hauler that I wanted but it’s a 5 passenger family hauler that I can use, and it was half the price of the suburbans and similar that I was looking at.

2012 V6, 46,000 miles. It’s a base model but with every option ticked so it’s got heated leather, premium sound, and panoramic roof. it will replace our 340,000 mile rust bucket Suburban nicely.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

StormDrain posted:

OK!

2011 Mazda MX-5 Miata - "Konichiwonderful"

- current wheel color

2003 Chevy Astro AWD - "Moby 2"

1997 Dodge Neon ACR - "Neon Lauda"

(please don't make me do another mod challenge for posting this car again)

There's also the wife's 2007 Corolla, but that's way too boring for AI.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

GOD IS BED posted:

(please don't make me do another mod challenge for posting this car again)
What is zero? Please don't make me Google it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

If you're in not-USA this might be quite boring, but let me tell you: here a manual transmission turbo diesel proto-Lexus GX is cool as poo poo, especially when it has 3 spoke wheels

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's cool as poo poo in the US too, just for not being a black-on-black SUV commuting daily into Bellevue.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

got off on a technicality posted:

What is zero? Please don't make me Google it

Itasha cars have mixed responses here, so I was challenged to do a Babymetal cosplay at my next autocross. This was the result:

I wasn't the only itasha car at that event, but I was the only one making a fool of himself for internet cred.

Captain Crabsticks
Feb 17, 2007
Itasha cadillac?????? it makes more sense the more I consider

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Stretching the legs on the farm truck like it's my goin to town rig.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

Always amazing to see that thing. I haven't seen an International in Ohio in 20 years. They've all rusted into oblivion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Always amazing to see that thing. I haven't seen an International in Ohio in 20 years. They've all rusted into oblivion.

lol 2010s trucks are missing rockers, cab/door corners and fender arches in MI/OH/PA from my recent experience. Nevermind a truck pushin' 50 years old.
olds snap their necks with maws wide open when they see something thirty years old with no rust rolling through.

fuckin love your IH Stormdrain, fucker looks soooo good.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I bought this parts car. It's either a 94 or 95, the other side is mint, this side is .... yea.
It was converted from gas to tdi. So I want the engine and 02a transmission for activities. It also has rear disc brakes which are getting rare as hen's teeth on the mk3. It has ecode headlights, sadly won't fit a jetta, but it does have the ecode front corner lights. My jetta has nasty yellow ones. I hope the sunroof parts are the same, the carriage stuff is all kinda hosed on the jetta, so hopefully i can fix that up.

I think I'll torch the whole driver side of the car off so next time someone crashes the driver side of their rally car, i can sell the whole left half.

The rear beam and a bunch of other stuff is in good shape, so some friend are looking at these parts. Overall, pretty good buy for $400.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Great looking truck, looking back in your thread you've really improved it since the early days.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

NitroSpazzz posted:

Great looking truck, looking back in your thread you've really improved it since the early days.

cursedshitbox posted:

lol 2010s trucks are missing rockers, cab/door corners and fender arches in MI/OH/PA from my recent experience. Nevermind a truck pushin' 50 years old.
olds snap their necks with maws wide open when they see something thirty years old with no rust rolling through.

fuckin love your IH Stormdrain, fucker looks soooo good.

Thanks yall!

Whenever I brag about it the thing I usually say is that I've removed every bolt on it at some point. It's not technically true but goddamn close enough. The only things I've not done are the cylinder heads or anything below that, and the differentials. The heads mate with a steel gasket and I didn't have the ambition to get it all milled to maintain compression with the new felt gaskets. The differentials were also above my skill set and aren't any sort of problem.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Truck is cool, I need to get more pictures for us to laugh at on my salvage auction truck and we can compare fixing old trucks because they are cool and good. Orange is also cool. Have you see the International truck on Wrench Everyday where they put a corvette drive train in it and moved the engine back to make it technically mid engined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just a beautiful day yesterday