Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Would it be possible to add an option to collapse long quotes? Like SALR does on desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

commie kong posted:

Now he won’t get html requests from awful app but image requests from macOS chrome :v:

Formal request to set it to WebTV

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone else’s shortcut break with iOS 15? It seems to upload just fine but it won’t let me paste into the app.

Yeah, Photo Upload 1 won't paste for me either.

Test: using awful's [img] -> From Library:

Well, at least that works.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 24, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, Photo Upload 1 won't paste for me either.

Test: using awful's [img] -> From Library:

Well, at least that works.

Yeah it works for now but it can be flaky.

I’m really curious why the shortcut actually broke. It’s not doing anything crazy.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I think shortcuts are a little hosed on iOS 15 atm. I've had so many rock solid ones that are no longer working.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, according to the r/shortcuts subreddit, it’s reaaaal bad with iOS 15, and has been before public release, which is not a good sign.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It sounds like I should probably not update my iPad to iPad OS 15? I mostly just need Awful to work right, I use it more than anything else.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

Yeah, according to the r/shortcuts subreddit, it’s reaaaal bad with iOS 15, and has been before public release, which is not a good sign.

Ugh great. Thanks for checking into it. I dunno how they can gently caress up such a good thing though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

shortspecialbus posted:

It sounds like I should probably not update my iPad to iPad OS 15? I mostly just need Awful to work right, I use it more than anything else.

Awful works fine, the thing being discussed is entirely outside of the app.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shortspecialbus posted:

As someone said, awful is ok. People are talking about iOS shortcuts which some goons have used with imgur as a workaround that the api the app itself uses has limitations that thousands of goons blow past rapidly after every reset.

Unless you’re using an iOS shortcut to post images in awful, you’re fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has pinch to zoom/unzoom in the app been finicky for anyone else as of late? It doesn’t seem to register but I can’t tell if it’s my hardware being dumb or something weird with the app/OS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Has pinch to zoom/unzoom in the app been finicky for anyone else as of late? It doesn’t seem to register but I can’t tell if it’s my hardware being dumb or something weird with the app/OS.

Yes, an image on the screen seems to interfere with zooming.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

Awful works fine, the thing being discussed is entirely outside of the app.

So the missing scrollbar with oled dark theme isn't a thing anymore? Or maybe it's just fixed in the beta?

And sorry, there's a lot of discussions going on right now and I lost track of which was which cause :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scrolling past videos is easy now, thanks!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Warbird posted:

Yes, I’ve had the same problem. I thought it might be from updating to iOS 15 (iPhone 8), as if the sensitivity for pinch to zoom/unzoom had somehow changed, but I don’t know if that’s even a thing or not. It’s not nearly as smooth as it used to be.

Midjack posted:

Yes, an image on the screen seems to interfere with zooming.

Even on just text, I’m noticing it not be as responsive as it was before.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

shortspecialbus posted:

So the missing scrollbar with oled dark theme isn't a thing anymore? Or maybe it's just fixed in the beta?

And sorry, there's a lot of discussions going on right now and I lost track of which was which cause :(

There are a few hot topic issues atm.

1) Touching an embedded YouTube video while scrolling causes the video to play.
This is currently resolved for those in beta, but still affecting regular users. A second fix with a more preferable solution (a change people should not notice) should hit beta soon

2) The white scroll indicator is dark and appears to be missing in iOS 15. This only affects the posts view (the view you’re looking at right now). All other screens are fine: List views, lepers colony, etc. The issue seems to be related to new iOS features that allow Apple to style native app components using web page colours. I think they’ve broken scroll thumb styling with this change. our config looked fine.

A fix for scroll thumbs is pending pokeyman review (was only very recently submitted). This issue is not super impacting so I won’t harass pokeyman over it. The YouTube issue was way more impacting

3) People are having issues with an iOS feature called Shortcuts that allows them to automate various tasks, such as uploading images to imgur. This shortcut would upload pics and save bbcode into clipboards to be pasted into posts. Not really app related, but an issue with the apps own image uploading feature pushes people to alternatives like shortcuts, which is now having some issues.

Number 1 wasn’t limited to ios15 (or even the app), but a solution has been found and is currently in beta testing
Number 2 is ios15, but a solution has been found and could hit beta at any time. (Many people won’t even notice this issue tbh)
Number 3 also is ios15 (?), but not everyone uses shortcuts and it’s not an app issue anyway. It comes up in this thread cuz it’s a decent workaround to a long term app issue re: image uploading.

Just saw about a post about pinch zoom issues. I can’t replicate that yet but will keep an eye open

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The update pushed out to public earlier sorted the video issue as best I can tell, so that one can be ticked off the list.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Stare-Out posted:

Scrolling past videos is easy now, thanks!

I can scroll again!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 26, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, so far the scroll issue is fine, but I’m wondering if there are other websites that aren’t imgur to use for image uploads because iirc it’s imgur itself that shits the bed after we blow through the limit, correct?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

teen witch posted:

Yeah, so far the scroll issue is fine, but I’m wondering if there are other websites that aren’t imgur to use for image uploads because iirc it’s imgur itself that shits the bed after we blow through the limit, correct?

From what I understand, astral is overhauling the attachment system and the app will eventually switch to the new one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Imgur and basically every image host nuke anonymous uploads the hardest, and it’s not really worth the effort to go through finding and switching to a new host AND implementing login AND then switching to the attachment system when it’s ready

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feature idea: now that iOS Safari supports web extensions, some third-party Reddit clients include an extension for automatically opening Reddit links in the app, and it would be great if Awful copied this for forums links.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm fairly sure there is a feature to auto detect copied forum links in the clipboard and open the corresponding location. Never tried it because I'm not deranged enough to have people I talk to about this forum outside of this forum.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Warbird posted:

I'm fairly sure there is a feature to auto detect copied forum links in the clipboard and open the corresponding location. Never tried it because I'm not deranged enough to have people I talk to about this forum outside of this forum.

Yeah, and that’s ok since it was the only way to do it, but it requires you to copy the link and switch to the app yourself. The theoretical Safari extension would cut out those two manual steps and automatically take you there every time you click a forums link.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Diabolik900 posted:

Feature idea: now that iOS Safari supports web extensions, some third-party Reddit clients include an extension for automatically opening Reddit links in the app, and it would be great if Awful copied this for forums links.

Added it to the list

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

From what I understand, astral is overhauling the attachment system and the app will eventually switch to the new one.

The first bit is an 'eventually' too. There are still a lot of fires to put out first. :sweatdrop:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ha, so maybe we could prioritize a temporary replacement. Wonder what hosts would work well.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Preemptive apologies to the IYG mod who has just gotten several reports of my last post for the extremely scathing reason of "test"

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

haha. this thread has a rating cuz was I testing the vote button :haw:

Which is how I found that ratings in the app are miscalculated cuz we’re doing maths that must be different to how the site calculates ratings.

I think we should instead just detect which rating image is in the html. It’s on my list

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If you're talking about determining which rating image is used, the forums use PHP's round function.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I keep getting invalid file type errors going long press > [img] > From Library

It seems to come and go but maybe I’m doing something wrong? They aren’t live images

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

astral posted:

If you're talking about determining which rating image is used, the forums use PHP's round function.

Oh thanks! But I still think it's best we let you do that and we just reflect the result. You can tally the golden manbabies however you like :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

carry on then posted:

Ha, so maybe we could prioritize a temporary replacement. Wonder what hosts would work well.

I never did anything with this, surprise surprise:

Subjunctive posted:

also (double post):

What do people think about an option to use postimages.org instead of imgur for in-app uploads? They look like they’d be much nicer to work with and I’m seeing them used more and more in the wild.

Never mind, they don’t have an API apparently?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 27, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Another option for the image uploading may be to add the old faithful Shortcut to the app and execute it via url?

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/shortcuts/apd624386f42/ios

I know there are issues with shortcuts atm, but hopefully not permanent ones. Also, I’m making some assumptions about the above link and haven’t tested it

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

commie kong posted:

There are a few hot topic issues atm.

:words:

Thank you for this summary, that helps. I was indeed mixing things up.

I get cranky every time the scrollbar vanishes when the app is cycled out of memory so having it permanently gone until a fix goes through would drive me batty I think. I'll hold off on 15 until that's fixed somewhere.

As always, thanks for everyone's hard work on this app. I really do use this app probably more than anything else on my iPad.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

astral posted:

The first bit is an 'eventually' too. There are still a lot of fires to put out first. :sweatdrop:

Speaking of, is there a burn down chart or a thread or whatever around for folks to rubberneck the beating of the site into submission?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, is there a burn down chart or a thread or whatever around for folks to rubberneck the beating of the site into submission?

The technical forum has a thread that is sometimes updated after things happen:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952750

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

carry on then posted:

Preemptive apologies to the IYG mod who has just gotten several reports of my last post for the extremely scathing reason of "test"

Give me a heads up before you do this next time, because I was about to probate you for report abuse before I dug into your post history.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cat Hassler posted:

I keep getting invalid file type errors going long press > [img] > From Library

It seems to come and go but maybe I’m doing something wrong? They aren’t live images

They aren’t jpgs because the iPhone saves camera images as hiec (or something) and Imgur doesn’t like that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

I'd recommend using the App Dev forum for such testing.