Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd love that too, but I can see Apple wanting to maintain that segmentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly I could probably get away with my job on ipad if there were iOS native, official*, ports of iTerm 2, git, and vs code. And slack. Slack is probably on iOS already.

*yes, I've already seen every hacky port job that you're getting ready to link to

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Hadlock posted:

Honestly I could probably get away with my job on ipad if there were iOS native, official*, ports of iTerm 2, git, and vs code. And slack. Slack is probably on iOS already.

*yes, I've already seen every hacky port job that you're getting ready to link to

Slack already has a first party iOS app. Code is getting a web-based version (currently in preview) which probably integrates tightly with GitHub, not sure about other git providers.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Apart from the cringe of picking it up at an Apple store... so far so good. Installing iPadOS 15 now and drat I had no idea that the 11" pro was so light. Looks amazing as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Apart from the cringe of picking it up at an Apple store

:rolleyes: I didn’t know nerds were still doing this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

At another company between O365 stuff, Prompt2 (ssh client), Jump Desktop (RDP/VNC client) and a VPN I was able to do about 99% of anything work-related on my iPad. It was nice when I wanted roam from my home office out to the porch or even the family room couch.

What I'd really like is a native PyCharm client to remotely work on the workstation I use to develop my hacky little automation scripts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

track day bro! posted:

The power button on the new mini is kinda awkward. Also it’s impossible to use touch id with your left hand

Is it the same as the current Air? I’ve found that having both index fingers and both thumbs set up covers basically every situation

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah I don't get this either. Generally speaking Apple Stores have some of the best customer experiences you'll get in retail.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I don't get this either. Generally speaking Apple Stores have some of the best customer experiences you'll get in retail.

yeah but if you willingly set foot in an Apple Store then you instantly become contaminated with the taint of the iSheep who doesn’t actually know anything about tech and only buys gadgets because they’re fashionable and then also the ghost of Steve comes to you in the night and deletes your entire Steam library

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was poking through my App Store purchases and I realized I have both Bully and GTA:SA and I feel like I could play thru them again on the new iPad Air

Can I just connect a xbone controller over Bluetooth or do I need a special apple certified controller to play them?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was poking through my App Store purchases and I realized I have both Bully and GTA:SA and I feel like I could play thru them again on the new iPad Air

Can I just connect a xbone controller over Bluetooth or do I need a special apple certified controller to play them?

Xbox over Bluetooth is fine.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Was able to play a bit of Genshin Impact with a PS4 controller too, via bluetooth. I think it's up to the game whether or not it'll actually be supported though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Xbox over Bluetooth is fine.

It’s more than fine, it’s “Apple certified” as well.

IIRC you can still buy Xbone controllers at the Apple Store

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well it was pretty cringey in the sense that they make it such a big deal for something simple as just picking something up, and I didn't feel like it was very genuine. Felt too "americanized". I'm not in the US, so the US style customer service feels odd.

After using the iPad yesterday I'm super happy with it. Feels great.

Edit: Ordered a Pencil 2 as well!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 26, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno I ordered a new iPad online last week, walked into the store the next day gave them my name and order number, they said “go wait over there”, a person brought me my iPad like 3 minutes later and I left

:shrug:

I was also in a very busy store so maybe it varies? It seemed pretty simple to me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dunno I ordered a new iPad online last week, walked into the store the next day gave them my name and order number, they said “go wait over there”, a person brought me my iPad like 3 minutes later and I left

:shrug:

I was also in a very busy store so maybe it varies? It seemed pretty simple to me

No that's pretty much the standard experience. At least it has been for various stores I've picked up orders in over the years in the Chicago area.

Show up, give them your name and show the Q-Code for them to scan. They disappear in the back, come out with your stuff. Have you finger sign on their iPad Mini/iPod Touch, they ask if you want a printed receipt or email and then you leave.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hated the Apple store back when my social anxiety was worse since you had to ask a random worker to go get something and I couldn’t decide which one to bother with the wad of cash I had. Its no problem these days though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They fixed the who to ask problem by paying someone to watch people enter and help direct them. It also functions as a checkin/queue when it's busy.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Omg they somehow made split view even more annoying in ipados15.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Glimpse posted:

Omg they somehow made split view even more annoying in ipados15.

I have never intentionally split view safari and it always took me a minute of throwing the extra window around to figure out how to actually make it go away. Now I do that more often.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I’ve not noticed anything, how’s it more annoying now?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Maybe placing the multitasking icon at the EXACT SAME SPOT as the Live Photo toggle when editing a photo, making it impossible to turn off the live-news of a photo, is a poor design choice.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Maybe placing the multitasking icon at the EXACT SAME SPOT as the Live Photo toggle when editing a photo, making it impossible to turn off the live-news of a photo, is a poor design choice.

Interface guideline updates must still be pending for iPadOS. Then they have to go and review all their own apps again.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

sleepwalkers posted:

I’ve not noticed anything, how’s it more annoying now?

Easier to accidentally invoke (the only way it is ever activated), harder to dismiss, can't be disabled.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

Well it was pretty cringey in the sense that they make it such a big deal for something simple as just picking something up, and I didn't feel like it was very genuine. Felt too "americanized". I'm not in the US, so the US style customer service feels odd.

After using the iPad yesterday I'm super happy with it. Feels great.

Edit: Ordered a Pencil 2 as well!

I kind of understand this. I didn't feel it was 'cringey' but I definitely felt odd. I live in a city in SE Asia where good customer service usually is an unenthusiastic 'how can I help you' and the typical is ignoring you followed by almost an air of personal offense when you go and ask for something. The first time I went to an Apple store I had a guy bounding over to me with a great big smile and asking me what he could do for me like I was about to make his day and it was definitely weird as we both knew we both grew up here and that is not how we usually Do This. I doubt Apple gives their salespeople anything approaching a decent commission, certainly nothing to be overjoyed about, which meant he had to behave this way. Poor chap. I think this sort of thing varies region to region and isn't really 'US style customer service' but more how non-US people might imagine US style customer service to be, because for example the below:

hatty posted:

I hated the Apple store back when my social anxiety was worse since you had to ask a random worker to go get something and I couldn’t decide which one to bother with the wad of cash I had. Its no problem these days though

is much more indicative of how I would expect a store to work. Go in, have a browse, and when I'm ready I'll go and find somebody.

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought my dad an ipad pro and keyboard that they didn't try to sell me too hard on apple care+ which I took anyway because he is very clumsy with his coffee.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There should be a place to go in an Apple store to pay money for the thing you are holding in your hands

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

inferis posted:

There should be a place to go in an Apple store to pay money for the thing you are holding in your hands

If it’s a small thing like a case or charger or something you can use the Apple Store app on your phone to scan the bar code and check out without having to talk to anyone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fourwood posted:

If it’s a small thing like a case or charger or something you can use the Apple Store app on your phone to scan the bar code and check out without having to talk to anyone.

I think it's anything that's out on the shelfs you can just scan, pay and go. It's only if they go into the back do you have to pay through a store worker.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yes but what do i do with this $29 in my hand, just throw it on a table?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

inferis posted:

There is. Every one on the sales floor (so like not the Genius Bar) can check you out. It's pretty quick.

Proteus Jones posted:

I think it's anything that's out on the shelfs you can just scan, pay and go. It's only if they go into the back do you have to pay through a store worker.

There is a dollar limit but I don't know what it is. I bought some Beats and the app made me hit up an employee to check out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Walking out of an apple store with something I bought on the app always makes me super nervous, like I should expect to be stopped because I just walked out with merchandise without interacting with anyone. It’s obviously in my head but every time I do it I must look like the most anxious shoplifter ever, walking out of that store.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

inferis posted:

yes but what do i do with this $29 in my hand, just throw it on a table?
Friend can I interest you in an Apple Card???

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

There is. Every one on the sales floor (so like not the Genius Bar) can check you out. It's pretty quick.

okay and if they are all occupied where do i go to wait for the next available employee

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You mill around endlessly! Gosh!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just gave Jump a try with my windows desktop and a Bluetooth mouse on my old air. It was remarkably good and I think that kind of guarantees I won’t be buying another laptop. Just hoping by the time I’m there that the cases with hinges are nice and affordable.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Martytoof posted:

Walking out of an apple store with something I bought on the app always makes me super nervous, like I should expect to be stopped because I just walked out with merchandise without interacting with anyone. It’s obviously in my head but every time I do it I must look like the most anxious shoplifter ever, walking out of that store.
I remember when the "buy it yourself with the app" stuff first came in asking an employee what's to stop someone just pretending they're scanning a thing and then walking off without paying and the answer was basically "people are generally honest and don't steal stuff"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I remember when the "buy it yourself with the app" stuff first came in asking an employee what's to stop someone just pretending they're scanning a thing and then walking off without paying and the answer was basically "people are generally honest and don't steal stuff"

yeah randos shoplifting is like largely a non-issue in retail, generally speaking, vs poo poo like employees shoplifting.

And hell, retailers performing wage and time theft of their employees (often in the name of “preventing shoplifting” as Apple did for many years until 2020) by subjecting them to things like unpaid searches, exit checkpoints, etc is a substantially bigger economic grab than their losses of inventory to theft.

Like in the Apple Store example, people would have to wait like 30-60 minutes sometimes while everybody’s bags and coats were checked, and not getting paid for it. And this was a nightly thing.

IIRC there was a lawsuit filed, which is what ended the practice. The allegation was that Apple was taking way more in unpaid overtime than they could ever lose from a store worker pocketing some earbuds or whatever

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I asked one of the workers about this when it first started and the guy was like, “Even if that happens, Apple is a trillion dollar company. I’m sure they can afford to lose a couple headphones.”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They also only have the “cheaper” stuff out on the floor, you can’t self pay for a MacBook Pro and walk out with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Guessing if there is a monetary limit it’s ~100, I had to snag an employee to buy a HomePod mini and they are just out.