Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My grandma liked to leave that poo poo on until it grew mold underneath. I skinned her new microwave while she was sleeping one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Skulk Hogan posted:

My grandma liked to leave that poo poo on until it grew mold underneath. I skinned her new microwave while she was sleeping one day.

Crappy Construction: skinned my grandma’s microwave one day

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I swear some people think it's part of the thing or that it's protective and if they take it off their "investment" will get hosed or something.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cyrano4747 posted:

I swear some people think it's part of the thing or that it's protective and if they take it off their "investment" will get hosed or something.

Magic Mike famously has that in a scene. It's hilarious.

I was so tired of peeling film off my toolbox. I just noticed I missed a piece on the side of a drawer and I cannot be bothered.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

IntErIOr dEsIgn Is my pAssIOn

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Love never fails *begins seizing due to visual clutter*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Concrete floors and no rug, but a towel?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreenNight posted:

Concrete floors and no rug, but a towel?

I think it is for the work boots. Look how stained the bed skirt is above the towel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gross. It reminds me of that episode of the X-Files where mom lived under a bed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

From my experience, Samsung appliances have really* strongly adhered protective films. To the point that I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to take them off or not :shrug:

*) I really mean really.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

*grinding through the casing of my new dishwasher in a shower of sparks* this fucken clingfilm I swear to fucken christ

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

From my experience, Samsung appliances have really* strongly adhered protective films. To the point that I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to take them off or not :shrug:

*) I really mean really.

TBF, that DID happen with the first round of their foldable screen phones. People honestly thought the top layer of the screen was some for shipping screen protector. A lot of the review demo units got proper hosed up.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not even on google maps yet.

Only picture on my phone, but the PO drilled well is under the corner the cat (Beans) is closest to. Also that front stoop is just loose concrete block leftover from the foundation wall. Frank (dog) is just checking out the view, which is pretty nice.

I appreciate that these pets have the same tuxedo on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

TBF, that DID happen with the first round of their foldable screen phones. People honestly thought the top layer of the screen was some for shipping screen protector. A lot of the review demo units got proper hosed up.

My samsung phone came with a preinstalled soft plastic screen protector, when it gets hosed up you just replace it with something better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's how the absolute worst "houses" on the planet have come into existence.

By "yourself" I mean getting a house building company to build it for you. Not really building it yourself and doing the plumbing and electricity, raising the walls and whanot, but it'd more "yourself" than buying from a developer at least who is guaranteed to make a shoddy house.

Then you get the chance to choose what kind of house to build, you get to ask around online and in real life about the build ahead of time and get feedback from people with knowledge and experience and you can monitor & document the build.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 27, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

By "yourself" I mean getting a house building company to build it for you. Not really building it yourself and doing the plumbing and electricity, raising the walls and whanot, but it'd more "yourself" than buying from a developer at least who is guaranteed to make a shoddy house.

The builders also build for the developers. The only safe option is to live in a potato hole with your violin.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

They are snappy dressers, even if they leave their coats everywhere.

Was told to wait until after the drillers are finished to pop out. Apparently his driveway is likely to resemble a stream tomorrow, a pond on tuesday, basically a quicksand pit until maybe thursday.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The builders also build for the developers. The only safe option is to live in a potato hole with your violin.

There are at least here a lot of companies who primarily work on a customer to customer basis. But even so, you can even with the same companty that works for a developer, do stuff like specify materials, design, heating, have plans reviewed by 3rd parties and have some control and ability to do inspections during the building phase.

I hired an independent guy (retired builder) specifically to go there and check on the major states of the construction process and make sure things where going as needed and to facilitate communication between me and the builders on site as well. Did catch several errors and miscommunications that I was able to then straigthen out.

I did say it was still full of pitfalls, there are simply no safe options with house building.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Having a matching cat and dog is always great. Border collies and tuxedo cats are like the original odd couple.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Frank and Beans :kimchi:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our house is built perfectly to my own plans, which were amateur and flawed, and adjusted for our budget, and our builder's experience.

The important stuff is all there but I wish we had done some swinging doors as sliders.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Having a matching cat and dog is always great. Border collies and tuxedo cats are like the original odd couple.

A little backstory. Frank's 8, he's been with me since he was a puppy, right around the time my divorce was starting. Had 2 cats at the time, so he got to learn young that cats are pretty alright. Time passes, 2 older cats pass on, 2.5 years ago, we're cat-less when a neighbor had trapped this stray tuxedo at the cusp of cat adulthood, maybe 6 months old, so I took him in.

Frank is patient, he waited on Beans to come sniff him out first, played very nice those first 3 months or so, and Beans gradually realized he's a gentle giant. For some reason I don't fully know, Beans started acting like Frank. They both sit by the door waiting for me when I leave. They both chase tennis balls and laser pens. Beans has even mastered the art of begging for table scraps. If it was possible for a cat to bark, Beans would do it. He even sleeps through the night on the foot of the bed (king size, we're all dudes here). For the better part of the past 2 years, these guys have grown inseparable.

Beans will follow me around outside, he doesn't need to be leashed (nor Frank, but I follow leash laws) like in the photo prior, but he's FIV+, likely from birth. He's in great health even with FIV, so if he wants to go outside, he has to be leashed/harnessed so I can prevent any fight he might want to pick, but Frank scares those cats away anyhow.

Frank is more of a collie/retriever mix, judging by his frame, size, hair production. It's a shame that he was fixed before I got him, I would have loved to let hi have a round of puppies as gentle and friendly as him.

Sorry for the wall of text, these two are worth every word though.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

A little backstory. Frank's 8, he's been with me since he was a puppy, right around the time my divorce was starting. Had 2 cats at the time, so he got to learn young that cats are pretty alright. Time passes, 2 older cats pass on, 2.5 years ago, we're cat-less when a neighbor had trapped this stray tuxedo at the cusp of cat adulthood, maybe 6 months old, so I took him in.

Frank is patient, he waited on Beans to come sniff him out first, played very nice those first 3 months or so, and Beans gradually realized he's a gentle giant. For some reason I don't fully know, Beans started acting like Frank. They both sit by the door waiting for me when I leave. They both chase tennis balls and laser pens. Beans has even mastered the art of begging for table scraps. If it was possible for a cat to bark, Beans would do it. He even sleeps through the night on the foot of the bed (king size, we're all dudes here). For the better part of the past 2 years, these guys have grown inseparable.

Beans will follow me around outside, he doesn't need to be leashed (nor Frank, but I follow leash laws) like in the photo prior, but he's FIV+, likely from birth. He's in great health even with FIV, so if he wants to go outside, he has to be leashed/harnessed so I can prevent any fight he might want to pick, but Frank scares those cats away anyhow.

Frank is more of a collie/retriever mix, judging by his frame, size, hair production. It's a shame that he was fixed before I got him, I would have loved to let hi have a round of puppies as gentle and friendly as him.

Sorry for the wall of text, these two are worth every word though.

:allears:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh my goooooooood :3:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

We bought a house from the 1940s this year that we had an inspector do a full checkup on before we pulled the trigger. We thought about buying/building a new one but I know too well the kind of workmanship that you can expect these days. We just don't have the expertise or time to spend on looking over the contractors and making sure every goddamn little thing is done properly because the minute you turn your back, someone is going to cut some corners and most probably end up loving up something. We just didn't have the appetite for a house that will be condemned in ten years time when the combination of shoddy plumbing, bad roofwork and wet insulation starts doing its magic. At least with this old pile of bricks we are reasonably sure where the problems are and can work to mend them.

I am already stressing out about re-doing the roof. At least have a building engineer in the family who can check over the plans and the work and that I can use to threaten the contractors with.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Nice place for sale in Melrose, MA

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Melrose/20-Berkeley-St-02176/home/11782123

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Why was the front of that house firebombed?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zil posted:

Why was the front of that house firebombed?

HOA's are serious about grass maintenance.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

$400k lol

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

"Hot home"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well I do expect it to be gone soon.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

This does not feel right...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

This does not feel right...

Doesn't look right, either. I bet the smell ain't great, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds probably aren't particularly comforting either, and I can't imagine the taste does much to save it. Really a failure on all senses except the one of impending disaster.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Getting very strong Bohemian Grove vibes from this. It's like the totem you need to to complete the Incineration of Belongings ceremony.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sounds probably aren't particularly comforting either, and I can't imagine the taste does much to save it. Really a failure on all senses except the one of impending disaster.

:perfect:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Curious about something - there's an empty lot across the street from me, currently wooded. About 4 or 5 years ago, they cleared out the undergrowth and whatnot, along with a few other blocks on the street. Some (most) of those lots, have been purchased and built on.

I've rather liked having a wooded lot across the street, but a few weeks back, some orange marking showed up on the street. Two corners, around where I figure the property lines would be, with a "12" inside, along with a big X that had a "B" and an "M".

Yesterday, some little green flags showed up along with green markings on the street, all of which indicated the sanitary sewer line. Today, a big ol' arrow with the marking "CATV IN-REAR" is there now too, which I'm assuming points to the cable TV drop a hundred feet back.

My question is this: How long are we looking at here until they start clearcutting the lot and breaking ground? Kids are gonna love looking at the construction vehicles (and frankly so am I) but I feel bad for all the froggies and lizards and squirrels and poo poo that live over there. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

D34THROW posted:

My question is this: How long are we looking at here until they start clearcutting the lot and breaking ground? Kids are gonna love looking at the construction vehicles (and frankly so am I) but I feel bad for all the froggies and lizards and squirrels and poo poo that live over there. :sigh:

Usually not long if they've marked utilities. Around here, the utility markings are only valid for 2 weeks, so you don't want to be digging after they expire.