Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Visors are very useful and not that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

IAmThatIs posted:

So I’ve heard this game is pay to win. But it looks like money just gets you more/guaranteed storage and cheaper stores?
If i buy the cheapest version, would i be able to run around with basic AKs and shoot people? As far as I’m concerned 7.62x39 is god’s own caliber, so I would probably just “main” that. If i sell everything that isn’t 7.62x39, i could purchase 7.62 as needed?

It's certainly not Pay-To-Win, but it's very much Pay-For-Convenience.
7.62 ammo and semi-auto rifles are available from the start, but actual AKs with full auto will take a bit of work to unlock.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its "pay once youve played the game for 300 hours and the new wipe is coming and want the big stash"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, first experience is fine with the Standard, but once the first wipe rolls around, the better editions improve the experience a bit.
Not much, but once you know what to look out "for later", having that extra space is a godsend if you find 3 gas analysers on your first raid in a file cabinet at Customs.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

My first wipe I didn't mind at all grinding things out on the Standard edition, but was definitely feeling the constraint of the limited stash and disliked the Jager grind. By the second wipe the time and money going into stash size was irritating and I was hating how much stuff I had to sell that I wanted to keep. Jager was quite irritating. By my third grind I was making enough money at my job that the Bad At Money edition didn't cause me to bat an eyelash, and I've loved every second of it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The difference between an Alpha and a Gamma is huge. I've done both, I have the standard version but at one point I had a friend take the patch off and he gave me his gamma; you accumulate money and gear so, so much faster, and building your hideout is way, way easier. The stash size is nice I guess and the trader rep is really useful but the bigger secure is far more valuable than either, a real game changer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i would take the stash over the gamma if i had to pick one

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nothing like slamming your scav's God-given eTG-C to not only evade an exit camper but grow all your limbs back as he pelts you with silenced rifle fire.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Nothing like slamming your scav's God-given eTG-C to not only evade an exit camper but grow all your limbs back as he pelts you with silenced rifle fire.

If nothing else I do enjoy a good spite injection.

No gently caress you, this is going with me to hell.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All I'm saying is if my blood isn't 95% morphine, SJ6, and vodka by the time I arrive at Lucifer's gates then I've done something wrong.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Bad player scavs better watch out this weekend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still haven’t picked this game up but it’s been on my radar for a while but how correct is this video?

https://youtu.be/4BbDNNxi8rM

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

From the first 2 minutes, seems accurate

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I still haven’t picked this game up but it’s been on my radar for a while but how correct is this video?

https://youtu.be/4BbDNNxi8rM

He makes a claim (from a hacker who wants to sell hacks) that half of raids have another blatant hacker in them. I don't really buy that.

There is a RMT economy fueled by hackers and the map Labs is a huge draw for them, but there are plenty of streamers that play 8+ hours of Labs every day and are not running into hackers anywhere near half the time.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

He makes a claim (from a hacker who wants to sell hacks) that half of raids have another blatant hacker in them. I don't really buy that.

There is a RMT economy fueled by hackers and the map Labs is a huge draw for them, but there are plenty of streamers that play 8+ hours of Labs every day and are not running into hackers anywhere near half the time.

While this is true, I'll reiterate again that certain hacks like item radar and wall hacks are literally impossible for the player base to see while they are happening unless the hacker actually attacks someone in a suspicious manner.

If you were to use the item locations to steal all the good loot on a map and wall hacks to avoid all other players rather than attack them you could easily build up a stash of sellable loot items and XP without anyone at all being suspicious.

The game is designed around RNG so hacking like that would just make people think the RNG is not in their favor for good loot items while some dude is stealing all the BTC and GPUs and selling them on real world markets like the one in the video.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I don't play labs because I'm a little Rat baby, but have gotten into the 30's on 3 wipes now, and almost never deal with what seems like sus behavior. There have been maybe 4 or 5 raids I've played where I died in a way that couldn't be explained by good positioning and awareness. Harder to say for aim assist, no real way of telling if a head eyes in the first moment of the fight is bad luck, high skill, or a hack. I've insta-head eyes'd a few people myself though, we all know that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I enjoy Tarkov a lot, and with nearly 500 hours played, have not had a negative experience with the perception of hacking.

But I don't play labs.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Why is it that every time I loot filing cabinets they appear closed but I always find them open in game?
Are people intentionally doing something to make them stay open after looting?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the visual is a client side thing

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've definitely run into hackers but not enough to stop me from making this my fastest game to 150hrs. That includes the guy who was able to aim flechettes at necks from 50 metres.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The game is designed around RNG so hacking like that would just make people think the RNG is not in their favor for good loot items while some dude is stealing all the BTC and GPUs and selling them on real world markets like the one in the video.
I'm at level 17 and haven't even seen a graphics card yet so I'd almost believe this.

giZm posted:

Bad player scavs better watch out this weekend.
Why?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

If you have -7 to -1 scav karma, ALL SCAVS will be HOSTILE towards you now.

If you have 0 to 6+ karma, you have "scav support" which means AI scavs should support you when getting attacked now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Why is it that every time I loot filing cabinets they appear closed but I always find them open in game?
Are people intentionally doing something to make them stay open after looting?

It goes like this: if a container was opened before you loaded in, it will be shown to you as closed, even if it was looted. If someone opened a container while you are loaded in, then it will show as opened and you will have to close and reopen it to see the loot.
The only exception to this are the gym bags in interchange and interchange alone, because they will always show as pre-opened, even if you are the first one to load into the map.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

giZm posted:

If you have -7 to -1 scav karma, ALL SCAVS will be HOSTILE towards you now.

I thought that was the whole point of the scav karma system from the beginning. Are they just turning it on this weekend?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the frenzy with people snapping up Therapist's pistol case? Is it just the easiest case to buy and people corner the market to resell?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

What's the frenzy with people snapping up Therapist's pistol case? Is it just the easiest case to buy and people corner the market to resell?

Jaeger has a weapon case trade that requires five pistol cases and 5 blue fuels, my best guess is they're all getting scooped up for that.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The amount of people doing horrible scav-on-scav violence in the last few days has been stupid. Just let me go shopping in peace!

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

The worst is when I kill a traitorscav, and some other goodly scav figures I'M the baddie and takes my shopping cart.

Enjoy the Rep Hit jerkface.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Second worst is getting traitorscav’d when you have a backpack full of task items that need the FiR tag.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just need to be smarter about shooting other scavs. Find two dead scavs on the fortress stairs at 06:30 left and you find a third, living scav upstairs? He wants your 50k roubles.

Why yes, this just happened to me, how did you guess??

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Yeah, this guy's going to check his six better next time he unlocks the marked room:

(I died, but at least I cost someone 100x what my scav inventory was worth.)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Someone cracked a version of the game that works with the singleplayer mod so it's no longer impossible to try the game at least

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 27, 2021

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I think my player profile is corrupt or something. Every time I complete a quest it won't let me receive the reward and the entire menu system freezes completely until I alt-F4 and start the game back up again.

I've sent bug reports to BSG every time but nobody else seems to be having the issues. It started after one of the more recent patches last week.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have to say the massively jacked-up price of 6B43 with less than 50% durability on the flea is a pretty novel example of opportunistic gouging.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I think my player profile is corrupt or something. Every time I complete a quest it won't let me receive the reward and the entire menu system freezes completely until I alt-F4 and start the game back up again.

I've sent bug reports to BSG every time but nobody else seems to be having the issues. It started after one of the more recent patches last week.

I don't recall this specific issue, but when our group sees something odd usually either an "Integrity check" or "Clear cache" in the launcher's little pulldown menu under your Username sorts it out. Worth a shot at least.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Fancy_Lad posted:

I don't recall this specific issue, but when our group sees something odd usually either an "Integrity check" or "Clear cache" in the launcher's little pulldown menu under your Username sorts it out. Worth a shot at least.

I'll give this a try after work, thanks!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Bussamove posted:

I have to say the massively jacked-up price of 6B43 with less than 50% durability on the flea is a pretty novel example of opportunistic gouging.

The best part is that if you have one after finishing the quest, you should be able to sell it much higher than normally, if you put the price just right that some impatient person will snatch it up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

This is a known issue and happens to me exactly the same way. Support told me they're aware and investigating. My friend just bought the Pay2Win edition so if it starts happening to him then hey at least that narrows it down!

Bussamove posted:

What's so special about it? Looks like you're wearing half an EOD suit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

You need a set at >50% durability and a set at <50% durability for a specific Ragman quest. More than 50% is easy since it doesn't need to be FiR and you can just get it off the flea. Less than 50% is... trickier since you need to actually go get it busted up in raid, which naturally runs the risk of just losing it, or buy it off the flea that low.

It's particularly annoying because that task gates a couple of his later task chains.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

The safest way to get that is to run it with a few buddies, where they shoot you with pistols until it is broken enough, just dump it somewhere hidden and insurance fraud that. If you don't have buddies, I think there is a possible spawn in kiba?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

You need two for a ragman quest, one >50% and one <50%.

Finding one under 50 is much harder. They don't have to be found in raid, hence people selling them on the flea. I got mine at a "steal" for like 1.8 mill. They been like 3m+ forever