Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spellman posted:

Paper Mario is more wholesome, cute and based in the Mushroom Kingdom. TTYD had email and technology, so it had many funny nods to internet culture. So it's less mystical, and feels meta—like all of the pop culture was updated to what was funny in real world America at the time. I think it's funny, but I love the original Paper Mario just as much. I can see why either would be someone's favorite

Isn't it the first PM game where you also get accused of murder? That was a bit of a curveball :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Forgot the OLED is $350. Lol.

This system succeeds in spite of itself.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Four minutes in and Youtube tells me this video is not available!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Imagine a Switch but it has white joy cons and also the dock has an ethernet port. It was probably more fun to watch for Dread previews.

Not trying to poo poo on anyone being excited for the OLED. But I feel like the type of improvements you want to see are not that well represented in a YouTube video. But I am a self-described idiot, so who knows.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 27, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Healbot posted:

Four minutes in and Youtube tells me this video is not available!

Someone wasn't supposed to post footage of Dread! (or the OLED not sure which is underwraps tbh)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

nrook posted:

https://vim.cx/?de978e5d17d25f7a#Dpdb5NresZp166kpL7DC7zEMvqphJfEnVS9rhTAS2kyM

Thanks everybody for the recommendations on Switch games with great soundtracks. Leaving this hear if anyone else wanted to look at the big list themselves.

This is going back a ways but I didn't see anybody mention Okami HD and holy poo poo does that game have one banger of a soundtrack. I'm dredging this up just so I can point that out.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Zurtilik posted:

Imagine a Switch but it has white joy cons and also the dock has an ethernet port. It was probably more fun to watch for Dread previews.

Not trying to poo poo on anyone being excited for the OLED. But I feel like the type of improvements you want to see are not that well represented in a YouTube video. But I am a self-described idiot, so who knows.

What you could see in that video is that the OLED version has more screen real estate, though the screen quality itself is not perceptible, as is the improved speakers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s probably not perceptible unless you’re looking at it on an OLED screen, video got taken down before I could do that.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Here's IGN's take:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3Nz8YFPy_RI&feature=youtu.be

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

This is going back a ways but I didn't see anybody mention Okami HD and holy poo poo does that game have one banger of a soundtrack. I'm dredging this up just so I can point that out.

Also both The World Ends With You games. Shame the port of the original isn't actually that good but if you set it to easy you can probably play through the plot without suffering the battle system too much

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't remember who was asking for an HDMI switcher or a way to use a monitor with no speakers, but this is a good solution to both problems:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNc8GgS

Outputs audio to 3.5, RCA and optical, and the HDMI switches automatically when you turn on a new device

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Nintendo is bad at online and account sharing so I assumed I'd be locked out of the old stuff. Looks like that might not be the case?

Account sharing is on semi-lockdown for all consoles. Nintendo's workaround is the same as every other console. If you want to share games on PS4, be prepared to have someone else's system set as your primary account and vice versa. This is not Nintendo being bad at online and account sharing; this is Nintendo using the digital standard.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I was thinking more along the line of like a PSN thing. I can log in on my vita, ps5 and ps4 and it'll show me the stuff I've bought all the way down to the ps3 regardless of what I can play on whichever console.

I can't access any information on anything I've bought on my 3ds, wii u or wii when I access the eshop on the Switch. Unless I'm wrong, which I absolutely could be.

I'm mostly physical for gaming anyways so it's a moot point but I'd rather not have to buy games again when I already own them. There's a lot I don't know about transferring accounts and etc. Feel free to tell me I'm a bad person and a shitbag or whatever for not knowing. I'm old, I can take it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I was thinking more along the line of like a PSN thing. I can log in on my vita, ps5 and ps4 and it'll show me the stuff I've bought all the way down to the ps3 regardless of what I can play on whichever console.

I can't access any information on anything I've bought on my 3ds, wii u or wii when I access the eshop on the Switch. Unless I'm wrong, which I absolutely could be.

I'm mostly physical for gaming anyways so it's a moot point but I'd rather not have to buy games again when I already own them. There's a lot I don't know about transferring accounts and etc. Feel free to tell me I'm a bad person and a shitbag or whatever for not knowing. I'm old, I can take it.

Those are on a wholly different platform tbh, also the consoles themselves are used in lieu of an account system.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Healbot posted:

also the consoles themselves are used in lieu of an account system.

This hasn't been true since 2 years into The wii us life. Nnid was created for backwards compatibility going forward between systems according to Iwata.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I was the one asking about the HDMI switcher. I have a Nintendo Lite, wondering if there'll be a price cut over the standard. But Lite is just fine for me. If I want it recolored, I can just get a skin on it or something.

Also, this Club Games thing has so many things to play. Turns out I'm bad at a lot of games, it seems.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/engadgetgaming/status/1442474842473869316?s=19

For an HDMI Switcher, I've got a JBL soundbar which works great at also being an HDMI Switcher

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zurtilik posted:

Forgot the OLED is $350. Lol.

This system succeeds in spite of itself.
Just out of curiosity; Do we know if the OLED model is intended to supplant the Redbox as the current standard Switch model, or is it just an additional bells-and-whistles model?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity; Do we know if the OLED model is intended to supplant the Redbox as the current standard Switch model, or is it just an additional bells-and-whistles model?

They're pretending it's not replacing the red box but they kinda always do that. I'd be real surprised if they coexisted for long.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Nintendo has switched eShops, they had them all separate for the longest time to the point you couldn't even use gift cards across services. I think 3DS and Switch are the only 2 on the same network.

And really showing 3DS titles on the Switch would just be confusing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Decided to replay some Super Metroid with Dread coming out soon.

God I have even more respect for speed runners. I feel so clumsy with these controls. Also Maridia sucks farts and there was times where I thought I was crazy/doing something wrong with how hard it felt to get out of the quick sand.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Healbot posted:

iirc secondary Switches can use the same account for Nintendo Online, but need to be connected to the internet at all times, while the primary console works like normal.

It will phone home whenever it feels like it but you can use it without internet for a time. I've taken my switch lite with me on planes plenty of times, and besides one time where it locked me out even though I was just on airport Wi-Fi it's been fine, but I was only playing one game so if you are trying to launch a different one without internet you may have some problems. Also if you downloaded monster hunter rise to both switches you can join each other's online lobby, but if you try and play local it doesn't work. This may or may not work for other games as well I haven't tested it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Healbot posted:

What you could see in that video is that the OLED version has more screen real estate, though the screen quality itself is not perceptible, as is the improved speakers.

You need a better screen on your phone or computer, bc oled is very perceptible irl

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

pixaal posted:

Nintendo has switched eShops, they had them all separate for the longest time to the point you couldn't even use gift cards across services. I think 3DS and Switch are the only 2 on the same network.

And really showing 3DS titles on the Switch would just be confusing.

If you go to the online store you can see your purchases across 3 systems and purchase games for them. The consoles are mostly curated though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Okami is very much up there with the finest soundtracks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did they fix the translation in Castlevania 2 for the collection? Or is it just a direct port of the original mistranslation?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Did they fix the translation in Castlevania 2 for the collection? Or is it just a direct port of the original mistranslation?
The Castlevania Anniversary Collection that came out two years ago contains a straight emulation of the NA Simon's Quest release. So no, they didn't fix any of the translations.

That said, the reputation that the game has a poor translation isn't entirely accurate. There's one clue regarding using the red crystal at Deborah's Cliff that was mistranslated in a way to make it even less helpful, but for the most part the NPCs straight-up lie to you.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 27, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Bofast posted:

Isn't it the first PM game where you also get accused of murder? That was a bit of a curveball :D

Haha, yeah, in the ice level with the penguins. I need to re-watch a playthrough of that level (haven't played PM since I was a kid), it probably feels very Phoenix Wright-y...

Killingyouguy! posted:

Also both The World Ends With You games. Shame the port of the original isn't actually that good but if you set it to easy you can probably play through the plot without suffering the battle system too much

I'm jumping into the original TWEWY (on DS) tonight...not looking forward to the battle system, but everything else seems great. Such a stylish game! :3 I can already tell Beat is gonna be my favorite, I love Kanji-type characters (Persona 4).

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Read After Burning posted:

I'm jumping into the original TWEWY (on DS) tonight...not looking forward to the battle system, but everything else seems great. Such a stylish game! :3 I can already tell Beat is gonna be my favorite, I love Kanji-type characters (Persona 4).

Oh the ds is how it's meant to be played! It takes some getting used to but the battle system there is very fun. Hope you enjoy it.
Beat is a delight.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh the ds is how it's meant to be played! It takes some getting used to but the battle system there is very fun. Hope you enjoy it.
Beat is a delight.

Yeah, I think I'm just really intimidated by the whole "two screen battles" deal, but people talk up the game so highly that it seems like the developers pulled it off. :) I'm interested in eventually playing the sequel.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bothersome games not having manuals... in Harmony of Dissonance I remember there being some way to quick-change spellbook elements, but I can't find it and I think I've run out of buttons it could be. Did I make that up? It's annoying to have both hearts and mana and not be able to easily use both.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the OLED became $300 and the standard by holiday 2022. But I have no actual facts to run that off of and I would wager tech prices and supply will be a real deciding factor on any sort of price change or retirement of a model.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bruceski posted:

in Harmony of Dissonance I remember there being some way to quick-change spellbook elements, but I can't find it and I think I've run out of buttons it could be.
Hold Up and press L or R to cycle through the spell book elements.

Bruceski posted:

Bothersome games not having manuals...
If you're referring to the Caslevania Advance Collection the manuals are actually in the Gallery feature. Although I just checked for the hell of it and the US manual only mentions "Control Pad + L and R" and fails to mention you actually have to press Up.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm sure Nintendo will phase out the earlier Switch models in time. How many revisions were done to the DS? Even before doing 3D I remember a few different designs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's not more powerful right - so for those of us who primarily play on our tv not worth fretting?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

It's not more powerful right - so for those of us who primarily play on our tv not worth fretting?

yes the only benefit for docked play is the new dock's built-in ethernet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Zurtilik posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the OLED became $300 and the standard by holiday 2022. But I have no actual facts to run that off of and I would wager tech prices and supply will be a real deciding factor on any sort of price change or retirement of a model.

the normal model has already had a price cut in advance of the oled. except in the us :twisted:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Stux posted:

the normal model has already had a price cut in advance of the oled. except in the us :twisted:

I saw some posts about that on Reddit, but it was my understanding that the EU model was arguably priced too high MSRP (The 330 Euros it was MSRPd at was like ~$370) to begin with and a lot of EU shops lowered it closer to a ~$300 equivalency before that official price cut. But I might be misunderstanding something as well. :shrug:

The NEW 270 Euro price still makes it about ~$318 in Europe for a standard Switch. I'm sure there are reasons for that price difference beyond Nintendo just trying to charge Europeans more. But my point is that US consumers are actually still winning out over the EU even with the price drop.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ugh, I'm going to end up buying Pioneers of Olive Town, I've sunk too much time into it to not buy it at this point. At least once I buy it I won't feel so pressured to play it as much as possible since it won't have a time limit anymore.

Also gently caress the third mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

yes the only benefit for docked play is the new dock's built-in ethernet

Don't forget 32GB more built in storage :toot: