Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: citizen science for climate change. I'm coming to terms with the end of my career as a chemical engineer working in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job because I couldn't handle helping companies produce more oil and i don't think I'm going to get another one. But what to do now?

What if you did like brown Moses, except without NED and CIA backing, and for climate change? Citizen science models of how hosed we are, how direct air carbon capture is bullshit, how renewable energy is bullshit, etc...

Of course BM is all about grift. What I am proposing will never get funding. But still it could be cool. I don't know just spit balling here. Any thoughts?

lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: citizen science for climate change. I'm coming to terms with the end of my career as a chemical engineer working in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job because I couldn't handle helping companies produce more oil and i don't think I'm going to get another one. But what to do now?

What if you did like brown Moses, except without NED and CIA backing, and for climate change? Citizen science models of how hosed we are, how direct air carbon capture is bullshit, how renewable energy is bullshit, etc...

Of course BM is all about grift. What I am proposing will never get funding. But still it could be cool. I don't know just spit balling here. Any thoughts?

i mean like if BM is all grift, and your plan is no grift, sounds like you're left with nothing.

you can be a youtuber or start a leftist survivalist network, but we dont really need anymore science, no one is listening to the science we already have

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

IAMKOREA posted:

https://inhabit.global/

Stay quite. Gather a crew. Get ready for the new world.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
hey...i just realized...this thread got me laughing again :unsmith:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: ... Any thoughts?

It don't matter

Nonadis matters

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Okay so a couple of things.

First, I wouldn’t expect this hypothetical project to change anything. It is more about bearing witness. Similar to how vegan activists stand on the side of the road as trucks full of pigs drive into slaughterhouses.

Why do it? I have no loving idea. But it seems like maybe it is a thing you could do that wouldn’t be that bad to do and might even feel good to do. Why else do anything at all? And imagine how crazy it would drive the libs.

quote:

we dont really need anymore science, no one is listening to the science we already have

The people who ‘listen to the science’ don’t listen to the science. I’m still crack pinging from this post I made yesterday:

IAMKOREA posted:

Planet of the Humans is definitely on my to watch list after going to its Wikipedia page.

So I read this and saw that they cited three sources. That's their 'large body of literature'. Hmmm.... well 3 sources isn't exactly a large body, I think to myself. I routinely read papers that cite 5, 6, 7 or more papers. Things where you say "a large body of literature[23-31]".

Well anyway let me check these sources, I think. Maybe they are literature reviews that themselves will contain the citations needed to constitute a "large body of research"!

Huh, here's source 25...

Hm, The Guardian. Well maybe the next one will be an actual research paper. Source 26, coming up...

Hm, "Inside Climate News". That sounds trustworthy? I guess? Well let's check source 27.

Huh, this one doesn't actually have a publisher listed, it's just an author and a title? Well there's a link, let's click it.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/05/michael-moores-planet-of-the-humans-documentary-peddles-dangerous-climate-denial/

Oh okay, it came from Yale. Well, Yale! That's a respectable place!

Actually clicking and reading any of these articles is rage inducing. It's worse than that horrible D&D post I posted a few days ago. Here's a paragraph from the Yale paper:

Just the most disgusting poo poo you've ever read. And where are the loving citations!? WHERE IS THE loving BODY OF RESEARCH, WIKIPEDIA?

Wikipedia is such a loving insane biased ideological lovely website, god drat.

e: the best part of that Yale blog post is that there is a picture of the author who is, you guessed it, a white man.

e2: on wikipedia lovely blog posts that are hosted on yale's servers count as a "body of research". GOD DAMMIT I HATE WIKIPEDIA THIS HAS MADE ME SO ANGRY!

What I see all around me are people who are convinced that technology will save us. Direct air capture, carbon capture, electric cars, zero waste, buzzword bingo bullshit. Seriously, read those lib articles arguing against 'Planet of the Humans'. Insanity. They can't imagine a world where they don't get to just consume nonstop.

It’s all loving bullshit. Solar, wind, etc… it’s all grift, all the way down. Maybe if we could prove it was grift, someone would go crazy enough to murder a billionaire. Wouldn’t that make it all worth it?

e: you gotta admit, there's nothing like it, is there? a straight up scientific refutation of all the loving green grifting that is going on right now? all of it designed to keep us consuming, consuming, consuming... again please look at the wikipedia article i quote, and the 'citations' 25, 26, and 27. it's all such transparent bullshit once you scratch the surface. those articles that the wiki claims constitute a 'body of research' are completely hollow. there's nothing there. we're all hosed, but if you tell people a body of research [32-34] says we are actually okay and even going to be great, they will believe it.

bibliography:
32: gently caress
33: you
34: idiot, lmao

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Sep 27, 2021

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

quote:

To meet global demand, agriculture will need to produce almost 50 per cent more food by 2050. However, yields could decline by 30 per cent in the absence of dramatic emissions reductions. By 2040, the average proportion of global cropland affected by severe drought will likely rise to 32 per cent a year, more than three times the historic average.

gnarly dude

fuckin wicked

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

e: you gotta admit, there's nothing like it, is there? a straight up scientific refutation of all the loving green grifting that is going on right now? all of it designed to keep us consuming, consuming, consuming... again please look at the wikipedia article i quote, and the 'citations' 25, 26, and 27. it's all such transparent bullshit once you scratch the surface. those articles that the wiki claims constitute a 'body of research' are completely hollow. there's nothing there. we're all hosed, but if you tell people a body of research [32-34] says we are actually okay and even going to be great, they will believe it.
by the end of this paragraph you prove why it doesn't matter if something that says what you want exists or if there was more stuff agreeing with what you want. facts dont matter anymore. everyone gets their own set of facts.

like i might disagree with you about the specifics of the calculations of the life cycle analysis used to underlie some of your statements, but what the gently caress does that matter. even if minds were changed worldviews wouldnt be.

no no no, if you want to really rile up the psyche, you don't dive into the details of the bureaucracy of evil, you focus on the personal. focus on the local.

learn the climate change losses to your community first, know which swimming holes will go dry, which vistas will be barren, which neighborhoods will die first in the fire. then spread your painful gospel like a merciless god. a cassandra for all ages. like a cruel angel, young boy, become the legend!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

7 degrees of warming my god, it’s no wonder the media just doesn’t report on anything but 1.5

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

7 degrees of warming my god, it’s no wonder the media just doesn’t report on anything but 1.5

At my job we have a short-hand phrase for a strategy to avoid any accountability where you intentionally set an objective that people generally believe is impossible so that you always talk about how you're not going to succeed at that but no one really cares because they knew it was impossible all along and at the same time, you suck all the air out of the room to talk about what the hell is actually happening because you've eaten every status report and meeting on talking about why the impossible objective you set isn't on track.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I remember when people thought RCP 8.5 was nearly impossible. Now were going to blow right past it like nothing.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xeom posted:

I remember when people thought RCP 8.5 was nearly impossible. Now were going to blow right past it like nothing.

There were months, years, of arguments on these forums about how only lunatics would claim RCP 8.5 was possible.

It wasn't even worth considering! We are on track for RCP 2.6.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Honestly this year put everything into perspective. I never thought we would stop at RCP 2.6, but just blowing past RCP 8.5 as if it was standing still has really blown my mind.

We saw poo poo this year that wasn't even slated for another 100 years. 120F in Canada. What in the world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xeom posted:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

There were months, years, of arguments on these forums about how only lunatics would claim RCP 8.5 was possible.

It wasn't even worth considering! We are on track for RCP 2.6.

Here again, the problem isn’t that they’re wrong, RCP 8.5 itself is basically impossible.

But that doesn’t mean that a scenario as bad as RCP 8.5 is also impossible.

The RCP are just curves defining dirty clouds over time, being possible or likely was never their goal.

If we didn’t have a breakdown in epistemology because our experts lied too much this wouldn’t be an issue. We shouldn’t have to know what RCP 8.5 if our society was functioning correctly.

But we can’t trust the experts so we much become experts except we really can so we argue and write blog posts about RCP 8.5 being impossible or not while missing that the question is useless.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao the D&D thread used to probe people for being doomer for seriously considering RCP 8.5 and talk about reduction in consumer goods to try to stave it off.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it’s like we’re dying of alcoholism and there was a model of “what if we drank 100 gallons of vodka in a day” and we just couldn’t do that. But doesn’t mean there aren’t other ways to drink outselves to death just as quickly

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Oldest Man posted:

At my job we have a short-hand phrase for a strategy to avoid any accountability where you intentionally set an objective that people generally believe is impossible so that you always talk about how you're not going to succeed at that but no one really cares because they knew it was impossible all along and at the same time, you suck all the air out of the room to talk about what the hell is actually happening because you've eaten every status report and meeting on talking about why the impossible objective you set isn't on track.

Tell us the phrase

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Here again, the problem isn’t that they’re wrong, RCP 8.5 itself is basically impossible.

But that doesn’t mean that a scenario as bad as RCP 8.5 is also impossible.

The RCP are just curves defining dirty clouds over time, being possible or likely was never their goal.

If we didn’t have a breakdown in epistemology because our experts lied too much this wouldn’t be an issue. We shouldn’t have to know what RCP 8.5 if our society was functioning correctly.

But we can’t trust the experts so we much become experts except we really can so we argue and write blog posts about RCP 8.5 being impossible or not while missing that the question is useless.

i can't imagine being this pedantic of a shitlib at the end of the world.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Alobar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS9Bz0IH54

it's also the name of a johnny hobo album

ceschi was the last show i saw before the pandemic

i had to leave in the middle of his set because i had to catch the bart, but i had to stay to see him

i said to him something like "hey, thanks for your music. keep doing what you're doing, it's really important to the world" and he paused for a second and said "you, too"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SXD-UZ7Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWrjc5d4C4

hey cool another Ceschi fan.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xeom posted:

i can't imagine being this pedantic of a shitlib at the end of the world.

end of the world seems as fine a time as any, at least you're not ruining the party. someone already poo poo in the punch bowl.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
what is obvious is that we are done regardless of climate change. cc is just an accelerant.

we have already killed the world. we have wiped out most of the life on this planet and, in doing so, we have disrupted every long won ecosystem on earth. we are at the zenith of an apocalyptic intake of power laid down eons ago and every environmentalist and green activist who chants for renewable energy is deluded into thinking we can carry on this ride into hell. we dig, scrape and suck everything and it's so cruel. i hate that we'll take everything down with us. gently caress the mind.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rapacity posted:

i hate that we'll take everything down with us.

Life on Earth is resilient, and has so far survived all previous mass extinction events.

We just won't be there to see what emerges next.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

It's like a web 2.0 Steal This Book, cool

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ughhhh posted:

That's some real impressively hyper concentrated amero-centric cope bargaining, thank you, I needed a solid LMAO at the end of my day. :tipshat:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rapacity posted:

what is obvious is that we are done regardless of climate change. cc is just an accelerant.

we have already killed the world. we have wiped out most of the life on this planet and, in doing so, we have disrupted every long won ecosystem on earth. we are at the zenith of an apocalyptic intake of power laid down eons ago and every environmentalist and green activist who chants for renewable energy is deluded into thinking we can carry on this ride into hell. we dig, scrape and suck everything and it's so cruel. i hate that we'll take everything down with us. gently caress the mind.

:hmmyes:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I bet Bezos and Musk have each already launched their own versions of the Voyager complete with golden records containing photos and audio recordings of themselves. Gotta make sure the aliens know that they were big important men.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Rapacity posted:

it's unfathomable what we've done to the planet. a whole world of thriving life with verdant fields and vast blue seas and we've killed all of it. why? because we could, really.

honestly, that's the thing that gets me the most. like the end of the planet of the humans documentary with the orangutan just kind of struggling and almost drowning in the mess we created. i like to think that animals can't grasp what's happening, but i don't think that's true.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

ughhhh posted:

I mean this in the kindest way possible, and I know I am tilting at windmills a little bit here by trying to convince you or anyone, but this reads like the bargaining phase of grief.

We can't really change what's coming. That's already baked in. Worse, it seems likely we are just going to keep accelerating.

I say this not to be a doomer but to try and help you understand that the only choice you, I, or anyone else in this thread has now is to decide how we want to go out. What we want to find meaning in.

For me its being a witness. To hold on as long as I can and see as much as I can.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I mean, some people might see some kind of existential meaning in watching this but I'm just staring into the window giggling because it scratches my curiosity itch :sickos:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Complications posted:

I mean, some people might see some kind of existential meaning in watching this but I'm just staring into the window giggling because it scratches my curiosity itch :sickos:

yeah it's like slowing down when you drive by a wreck but instead the wreck comes to you and everywhere and you can't escape lol lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ughhhh posted:

Okay, okay, I read this again.

With all sincerity this is the dumbest poo poo I've read in months, possibly all year. This is like reading sixteen year old me's vision of how to smash the system, maaaaaaaaaan.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Xaris posted:

eh. It's one of those things that didn't really ramp up until the 1980s and it's still a tricky thing to study. certainly they were pushing messaging saying "its inert! no reason to worry, the Perfect Material! buy buy buy" since it's inception to sell it as the Ultimate Science Material, and probably discouraged looking into it. But it's still murky, unlike say gas, coal, radioactive fracking brine, etc, were those things were and all very very clearly bad from the very beginning just from simple stoichiometry and material composition that even the most dipshit Chem101 flunk-out could probably piece it together. even see articles from like loving 1920

that they would worm into plant cellular structures, insects, fish, birds, and humans and act as a endocrine disruptor loving up fauna and flora (re)production, and probably giving poo poo cancer, might have been a little bit of a stretch when they were invented and being used industrially and en-mass at the start. never the less, it was probably known inside the circle that they were likely bad and going to be a major problem at least by 2000 though.

most of the environmental side was deflected to macro things like: oh no birds n turtles are getting stuck inside 6-pack plastics and dying, and seals are eating water bottles and choking, how horrible. we need to recycle it better!

i mean it's still crack ping material that we were told yeah this poo poo lasts forever and never breaks down, or maybe it does over a thousand years, but we were still okay with just dumping it everywhere

envision the old trope of a tumble weed rolling through a desert, only instead it's an empty plastic bag

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

. This is like reading sixteen year old me's vision of how to smash the system, maaaaaaaaaan.

You say that like it's a bad thing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

ughhhh posted:

oh so this is where the occupy wall street true believers ended up

also, that is written to be self-selecting for the most tedious people imaginable

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ughhhh posted:

who the gently caress designed that website god drat

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ughhhh posted:

i'm pretty sure this is an op designed by letter agency interns that accidentally got pushed live instead of shelved for being too obvious

like this is on the same level as the red paint thing that extinction rebellion did

the mailing list option might as well just be a "please monitor everything I do" button

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

fits my needs posted:

who the gently caress designed that website god drat

honestly i get the vague feeling that it might have been a markov chain

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

im surprised it hasnt shown up in this thread before.

also

lol

lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

ughhhh posted:

im surprised it hasnt shown up in this thread before.

im surprised you thought it was a good idea to post

y did u post it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I did not realize that the New Yorker had people further along in the crack ping process than D&D back in 2019

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending???

What If We Stopped Pretending?
The climate apocalypse is coming. To prepare for it, we need to admit that we can’t prevent it.

quote:

And then there’s the matter of hope. If your hope for the future depends on a wildly optimistic scenario, what will you do ten years from now, when the scenario becomes unworkable even in theory? Give up on the planet entirely? To borrow from the advice of financial planners, I might suggest a more balanced portfolio of hopes, some of them longer-term, most of them shorter. It’s fine to struggle against the constraints of human nature, hoping to mitigate the worst of what’s to come, but it’s just as important to fight smaller, more local battles that you have some realistic hope of winning. Keep doing the right thing for the planet, yes, but also keep trying to save what you love specifically—a community, an institution, a wild place, a species that’s in trouble—and take heart in your small successes. Any good thing you do now is arguably a hedge against the hotter future, but the really meaningful thing is that it’s good today. As long as you have something to love, you have something to hope for.

a hearty - lmao