Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

this concept is an entire genre of anime now. the ultimate self-insert wank off

It certainly has an appeal in that people get to go into a world where they have actual useful skills and abilities with opportunities to use them and never have to deal with the real world again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1441833800397295616?s=20

Note: This is an actual real movie that exists and is not a parody.

This is the ideal male movie. You may not like it, but this is what peak cinema looks like.

When he grabbed the glasses I thought he was going for the "you wouldn't hit a guy wearing glasses?" gambit which would have been pretty great. alas

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Moon Monster posted:

When he grabbed the glasses I thought he was going for the "you wouldn't hit a guy wearing glasses?" gambit which would have been pretty great. alas

haha yeah that would have been pretty great. would have laughed my freakin rear end off!!!!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This is the ideal male movie. You may not like it, but this is what peak cinema looks like.

Is... I'm sorry, is that Taika Waititi?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Moon Monster posted:

:same:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It certainly has an appeal in that people get to go into a world where they have actual useful skills and abilities with opportunities to use them and never have to deal with the real world again

The problem is most of the female characters are based on the worst stereotypes incels have about women and the self-insert uses most of those useful skills and abilities to beat them up, murder them, and even rape them in some cases, so it's basically revenge fantasy more than anything.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Yaldabaoth posted:

The problem is most of the female characters are based on the worst stereotypes incels have about women and the self-insert uses most of those useful skills and abilities to beat them up, murder them, and even rape them in some cases, so it's basically revenge fantasy more than anything.

that's kinda already implied in a genre about being teleported into a world where sitting around playing videogames and jerking off all day makes you king

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beartaco posted:

Is... I'm sorry, is that Taika Waititi?

I'm guessing it was a decent paycheck for very little work.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
probably payed for the whole season of Reservation Dogs, which owns. Not that he needs the money but :shrug:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Whelp, the chaos dragons got me. I feel old watching this.

I was there with the young punks and their Iron Mans and Forever Gems and talking trees, but I guess it's time to pick up some Tolstoyevsky Brothers Karanina or whatever.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
It's Punch and Judy i guess, just for the 21st century?

I'm also pretty surprised over the explosion in popularity of the "pathetic shlub gets sucked into game, becomes king of universe" genre (Isekai, iirc), but I think it has to do with aggressively being targeted towards the growing segment of bitter maladjusted shut-ins the world over. I'm not very familiar with it but from the examples I've seen it's basically Incel Playground, with all that entails.

It's been around long enough that there ought to be some compelling subversions of the genre but I haven't been looking.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's big enough that there's examples covering pretty much every possible angle you can think of. Including some reversed examples where fantasy heroes and villains end up in the 'real world' and have to adapt.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's big enough that there's examples covering pretty much every possible angle you can think of. Including some reversed examples where fantasy heroes and villains end up in the 'real world' and have to adapt.

I've also seen the Black Knight with Martin Lawrence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

This is the second time reading this thread that I've been reminded of the book I've been reading on Nazi history - specifically the Nazi cultural organs' critiques on culture and music. It's VERY similar, except I would argue this more recent crap has simpler rhetoric.

Hm I wonder why that is. Guess we'll never know

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Computer, create a Sherlock Holmes villain that is smart enough to outwit Data.

(Can't outwit Barkley's memory cube though.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder if Jorp is secretly infuriated every single time he interacts with someone who has no idea who he is and doesn't just fawn over him. :magemage:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I'm guessing it was a decent paycheck for very little work.

Who says "no" to Ryan Reynolds

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Taking my 16 year old nephew to ready player one this weekend and hes super pumped because he loves ryan reynolds from deadpool and video games.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Poohs Packin posted:

Taking my 16 year old nephew to see Free Guy this weekend and hes super pumped because he loves ryan reynolds from deadpool, and video games.

Whoops whatever

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost are the original Ready Player Ones. Change my mind.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gross Dude posted:

Dante's Inferno and Paradise Lost are the original Ready Player Ones. Change my mind.

Dante's Dickspermo

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a good excuse to post a Boulet outside the webcomics thread. http://english.bouletcorp.com/2014/09/05/kingdom-lost/ It's very good!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Poohs Packin posted:

Taking my 16 year old nephew to ready player one this weekend and hes super pumped because he loves ryan reynolds from deadpool and video games.

That's the perfect age for someone to enjoy that kind of movie and I hope he enjoys it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gross Dude posted:

its a correct analogy, but not even close to the first christianity fan fiction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuvk2bLCzwM

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We got Ready Player One, The Lego Movie, Space Jam 2, Free Guy, but they're all too afraid to give us Tails Got Trolled.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is a good excuse to post a Boulet outside the webcomics thread. http://english.bouletcorp.com/2014/09/05/kingdom-lost/ It's very good!

That was good, thanks.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's the perfect age for someone to enjoy that kind of movie and I hope he enjoys it?

Yeah hes super keen. Im happy to take off the movie snob/nerd cap for an arvo if it means he has a good time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's some new interview that The Telegraph did with Jorp and I'm not watching or linking it but the title is something special:

"Jordan Peterson: The collapse of our values is a greater threat than climate change"

Just lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's easy to laugh at but just imagining it coming from Kermit the frog makes it sound a little more plausible

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Our :britain: torygraph :britain: values :britain:

- Lobsters are noble beasts to cherish at all times
- EAT MEAT
- Make your bed in the morning
- Don't do drugs, no those aren't pills on my desk gently caress off
- One meal one dip??? uhh I'm out

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Detective No. 27 posted:

We got Ready Player One, The Lego Movie, Space Jam 2, Free Guy, but they're all too afraid to give us Tails Got Trolled.

Sega licensed an official "Sanic" product, give it time.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shortham Skeeterson

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Palpek posted:

There's some new interview that The Telegraph did with Jorp and I'm not watching or linking it but the title is something special:

"Jordan Peterson: The collapse of our values is a greater threat than climate change"

Just lol

I'm not watching that poo poo either but I'm guessing part of our collapsing values are people being mean to his dumb worthless benzo addled rear end. I really hate this guy. Just be dumb on the internet in your own little corner like everyone else, JOrgp

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Jordan Peterson believes that freedom is the most important value and having to call people by their preferred pronouns is tyranny. On the other hand, he also thinks it would be a good thing if the government turned all women into sex slaves.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/may/23/jordan-peterson-public-intellectual-isnt-clever-violent-men-monogamy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah yes, The Devil is a Part-Timer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DreadUnknown posted:

Sega licensed an official "Sanic" product, give it time.

They straight up bought the image from the creator.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Free guy was actually pretty fun.

Some of Ryan Reynolds dialogue was super weird and missed the mark, but it was fast paced with some good cheap laughs and quite a few "gamerz only" easter eggs/jokes.

Good summer flick to catch a matinee or take teenage kids to

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait THAT"S what that goober was referring to? loving :lol:

I don't know if I should've surprised or not remotely surprised that a maroon like jorp would find it to be an ideal 'archetypal' film

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lol looks like someone's fee fees got hurt

https://twitter.com/Xenos_RIFS/status/1444411206073081857?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Apologies for the triple post but my man is on a roll tonight

https://mobile.twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1443984318716596233