Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Was fuckin' around trying to edit my name in the save files, and I ended up watching the prophecy again. Noticed something I'd forgotten:

The Three HEROES are only supposed to appear after the terrible calamity has killed the EARTH. What does that mean? gently caress if I know, but fun to wonder about.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Clearly they only show up once they're shining with hope as well, and perhaps they aren't just yet. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Katsuma posted:

Was fuckin' around trying to edit my name in the save files, and I ended up watching the prophecy again. Noticed something I'd forgotten:

The Three HEROES are only supposed to appear after the terrible calamity has killed the EARTH. What does that mean? gently caress if I know, but fun to wonder about.

I just read it as 'when poo poo is hitting the fan they'll show up prepared'

Currently in the preparing stage of things

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, it's possible that the reason no one comments that Ralsei looks like Asriel is because he doesn't. Sure, he's a goat monster, and would fit in with the Dreemurr family, but that doesn't mean all fluffy goat boys look alike.

But he might look exactly like the monster Kris would have wanted to be. Only they could know that, and they can't say it to us.

Plot twist: Asriel in Deltarune isn't even a monster. He could be Kris's biological older brother and the both of them were adopted. Then maybe Ralsei's appearance isn't supposed to be for Kris's benefit, but the player's because that's the Asriel a fan would be expecting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1442842123233947653

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Toby reached escape velocity from his previous release.
Didn't he post something about Undertale locking him into being the 'undertale guy' and as great as that is it's also a curse?

Glad he is reaching heavenly heights of freedom and being a real Big Shot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Someday he’ll be Toby Fox the Nudealert/Nutdealer guy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Krismas is extremely funny and cute. I don't care if it's just a nickname or the real full version of their name.

I input "Kristian" as the name for my vessel when Chapter 1 released and until like the epilogue section when you talk to Rudy I just thought the game had taken the first four letters and used that as the name :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CandyCrazy posted:

My prediction is that the main story will only vaguely touch upon Gaster as an important character in the backstory (probably as the one who put certain pieces into play) - similar to how Undertale would have treated him if the Fun stuff wasn't RNG - but collecting all the dark crystals by fighting the secret bosses will let you truly dig into his lore and involvement in the story.

yeah pretty much. he mainly seems to function as a narrator-type figure for cut/hidden content and the survey. it's not like Chara/the "Fallen Human" who wasn't explicitly mentioned in Undertale for most of the game, but whose existence was hinted at a lot in the story itself, to the point where a lot of players probably figured something was up with the identity of the player character by the time the last route rolled around.

having him pop up as an "actual" character would be very silly at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
people keyed in on the Mysteryman figure as a visual representation of Gaster because you’ve gotta make fanart of something, but it’s way more appropriate for him to exist as implication and noise. the dude existentially exploded himself after all

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gaster should look like an old skeleton, which is also a plausible way to read the mystery man sprite, but I agree that he’s better as an insinuation than a character with whom you could conventionally interact.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oxxidation posted:

people keyed in on the Mysteryman figure as a visual representation of Gaster because you’ve gotta make fanart of something, but it’s way more appropriate for him to exist as implication and noise. the dude existentially exploded himself after all

Well, sure, there's random speculation, but also when he disappears, the sound effect is the first bar of gaster's theme sped up. Toby loving loves his leitmotifs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

also on a more practical note when you have a backstory figure who exists mostly as noise, mystery and theorizing i think toby seems literate enough on how fandom theorizing works to know that there's basically no way to portray him conventionally which wouldn't be a disappointment, since virtually all of his appeal consists of the fact that he's mysterious

also i think a lot of the content involving him is barely even accessible on console releases, it would just be dumb

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

Plot twist: Asriel in Deltarune isn't even a monster. He could be Kris's biological older brother and the both of them were adopted. Then maybe Ralsei's appearance isn't supposed to be for Kris's benefit, but the player's because that's the Asriel a fan would be expecting.

if Asriel were human then I don’t think Kris’s angst would be remotely as severe as it is now. they literally can’t stand to look at pictures of humans, which probably wouldn’t be the case if their idolized big brother was one

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is the face that's hawking toothbrushes on a pop-up ad from the pop up enemy spamton?

There's no Pikachu cheeks or sunglasses, but the similarity is otherwise quite strong.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
All the “fun” content has a chance of randomly showing up on the Switch version, and I think the console (and maybe even PC?) versions were patched to do the same. Fun zones work the same as Deltarune’s egg rooms now, AFAIK.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Oxxidation posted:

if Asriel were human then I don’t think Kris’s angst would be remotely as severe as it is now. they literally can’t stand to look at pictures of humans, which probably wouldn’t be the case if their idolized big brother was one

We don't actually know that he idolizes him. See: refusing to look at the room queen prepared for him. He's got some kind of anxiety about Asriel. An anxiety we don't understand yet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually like gaster's existence as a dumping ground for some of the sillier strains of fandom theorycrafting, but like, mysteries in the game of "why did Asgore leave the force and did that have to do with Dess/his divorce", or the "off-camera" relationship between Kris themselves and Ralsei is seem a hell of a lot more like, actually relevant to the story Deltarune is trying to tell

Oxxidation posted:

Toriel had that line about them getting a costume set of horns. they really don't like being human, do they? (cue chara theorycrafting)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ikanreed posted:

We don't actually know that he idolizes him. See: refusing to look at the room queen prepared for him. He's got some kind of anxiety about Asriel. An anxiety we don't understand yet.

their anxiety is perfectly understandable - Asriel is the town paragon and Kris is both emotionally dependent on him and broken up about their fundamental differences (ie human and monster). there’s enough weird mysteries in this game so that we don’t need to go looking for swerves where none exist

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 28, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

All the “fun” content has a chance of randomly showing up on the Switch version, and I think the console (and maybe even PC?) versions were patched to do the same. Fun zones work the same as Deltarune’s egg rooms now, AFAIK.

right and like, if the egg rooms turned out to be plot critical i think that would be silly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

we know they used to hang out all the time and we know kris used to sit up late talking with asriel online for hours, so i think it's safe to say that their relationship is a good one

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i actually like gaster's existence as a dumping ground for some of the sillier strains of fandom theorycrafting, but like, mysteries in the game of "why did Asgore leave the force and did that have to do with Dess/his divorce", or the "off-camera" relationship between Kris themselves and Ralsei is seem a hell of a lot more like, actually relevant to the story Deltarune is trying to tell

It's certainly convient when I'm browsing around looking for any cute scenes or easter eggs I'd missed to know I can safely ignore anything that mentions Gaster or has a picture of that one figure. It's a magnet for people who like making spurious connections and baseless theories.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I thought the reason Kris didn't want to look into Asriels' room was because they didn't want to see what a room made up of the search results of Asriel "loves immodest dragon ladies" Dreemur would look like.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 28, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah let's be real if you loved your brother would you want to look at his search history? Especially at someone else's behest?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
like there’s not a single hint given that Kris and Asriel’s relationship was based on anything other than mutual adoration (and Yoshi torture). we can even dismiss the possibility of some horrible blowup between the two of them just before Asriel left home, because Kris has been Googling the date of his return

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
On day 5 Kris is going to climb the nearby mountain looking for dark world clues and fall into a hole only to discover a lost city of humans living underground, having been driven there after a war with the monsters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kris feels guilty about borrowing his drawer change, and that's during one of the segments where all the flavor text is really terse and darker in tone

(one thing I definitely think is that the darker tone there isn't Evil Foreshadowing- it's because Kris is not a happy person)

Pulsarcat posted:

I thought the reason Kris didn't want to look into Asriels' room was because they didn't want to see what a room made up of the search results of Asriel "loves immodest dragon ladies" Dreemur would look like.

well that makes Suzie's reaction more interesting

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 28, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

right and like, if the egg rooms turned out to be plot critical i think that would be silly

Here's the thing. Anything "critical" is absolutely just going to be main content in deltarune, but another game in the series can nibble around the edges of deltarune's plot with interesting and relevant tidbits as much as it wants.

We don't need to connect the sound effect playing in the background of the red doors area to the Undertale Easter eggs to know it's mysterious and probably relevant somehow. It stands on its own

I'd be far more miffed if Toby gave us totally ambiguous clues to a mystery then never answered it. That's way more hacky writing to me than having some not strictly necessary connections between a story and it's sequel.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also worth noting that we can make Kris look at the Asriel room, but we can’t make Kris look at the Asriel room. They obviously have some agency.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well yeah if you were gonna miss plot critical details, that’d be hella dumb, but I think it’s fine to hint at things that may come up. For example, I quite like Susie, who is first mentioned in a fun zone.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I am 70% sure collecting all the easter eggs will open the secret path to Temmieland.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also worth noting that we can make Kris look at the Asriel room, but we can’t make Kris look at the Asriel room. They obviously have some agency.

Well yeah if you were gonna miss plot critical details, that’d be hella dumb, but I think it’s fine to hint at things that may come up. For example, I quite like Susie, who is first mentioned in a fun zone.

right like his existence basically as someone who lives outside the game text makes him ideal for stuff like dropping sequel hint easter eggs, or random cut content lore, etc. it almost precludes him actually showing up in the story. it'd be like if Rod Serling suddenly became a key character in the Twilight Zone or some poo poo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A ton of dialogue in chapter 2 seems specifically to hint at Kris being given just a little creative freedom in how to interpret our commands. Which my mental retread of chapter 1 doesn't have any of.

When you give him the option to say "no" about feeling okay after spamton, he screams it, because he was actually given a chance to express his feelings. Or when you give an "incorrect" answer about who he wants to go to the festival with, he tries to make it sound insincere.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone else mentioned how strange and different from the rest of it the dark world looks when you first enter in chapter 1, specifically that the eyes on the walls are the same as the eyes on the titans (also the save points look like their eyes)

I wonder if this is relevant at all? maybe something to do with the time loop theory a few people have brought up? There's darkness leaking and spilling out of holes in the wall too

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

A ton of dialogue in chapter 2 seems specifically to hint at Kris being given just a little creative freedom in how to interpret our commands. Which my mental retread of chapter 1 doesn't have any of.

When you give him the option to say "no" about feeling okay after spamton, he screams it, because he was actually given a chance to express his feelings. Or when you give an "incorrect" answer about who he wants to go to the festival with, he tries to make it sound insincere.

Another one is where you're choosing who to give the gift to, if you give it to Noelle Kris plays it off as demanding a refund rather than actually sincerely giving her a gift. Kris is definitely up for putting their own spin on your commands.

The way this has increased since the first chapter makes me wonder if Kris is going to seize their own agency more and more as the game goes on.

I do suspect that the "banishing the Angel's Heaven" in the prophecy essentially amounts to ending the game and your ability to influence anyone in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also this is less theory and more wishlisting but I hope Berdley comes back in some capacity. there's actually one thing that kind of makes me think he will- he seems to have some wind-based attacks making him something of the wind magic guy compared to Dess being Ice, Ralsei being white/healing, and Suzie being uh, rude magic/battlemage or whatever.

also he's a silly guy who does a good job of towing the line between being a jerk and being relatable, and i think the game could use a small core cast of the Ch2 guys with maybe a couple of additions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Someone else mentioned how strange and different from the rest of it the dark world looks when you first enter in chapter 1, specifically that the eyes on the walls are the same as the eyes on the titans (also the save points look like their eyes)

I wonder if this is relevant at all? maybe something to do with the time loop theory a few people have brought up? There's darkness leaking and spilling out of holes in the wall too

The only relevant thing I can think of about it is that that area is part of ralsei's supply closet and not lancer's unused classroom. I don't know why that would matter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ikanreed posted:

The only relevant thing I can think of about it is that that area is part of ralsei's supply closet and not lancer's unused classroom. I don't know why that would matter.

Ralsei's fountain is described as more original and pure. I figure that area is meant to be the dark world's pure, primordial state when there's no other concept imposed on it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah my take is that those cliffs are what the dark world looks like when there’s no fountain to coalesce around

which raises the dual unsettling questions of a) why the world’s basic state is so sinister and b) what the hell is up with ralsei’s territory. the other dark worlds were formed from light world detritus around the fountain’s origin, but ralsei’s kingdom isn’t based on anything but ralsei

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Also, if the entrance to his kingdom is located in the supply closet, where the hell is the chalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NewMars posted:

Also, if the entrance to his kingdom is located in the supply closet, where the hell is the chalk?

susie destroyed/depopulated the original dark world by eating all the chalk