Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Weakest episode of the season by far for me. Some great visuals in there but otherwise it was pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Weakest episode of the season by far for me. Some great visuals in there but otherwise it was pretty boring.

I agree, but I'm also giving it a little slack since it's obviously setting up the next episode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

I agree, but I'm also giving it a little slack since it's obviously setting up the next episode.

Yeah I like what it's setting up.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Not that it's too surprising, but I guess this means there's a high likelihood that this Zola copy is still alive in the sacred timeline as well, since it seems like his Russian copy predated any of the branching changes.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
If Ultron has all the Infinity Stones, why doesn't he just wipe out all life instantly like Thanos did, instead of flying to Asgard etc and doing it manually with a million robots? Maybe more fun that way?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Lamont posted:

If Ultron has all the Infinity Stones, why doesn't he just wipe out all life instantly like Thanos did, instead of flying to Asgard etc and doing it manually with a million robots? Maybe more fun that way?

Maybe he realized that doing so would would end up destroying him. Didn't using the stones fry the gauntlet? I assume all that power would have fried Ultron to a crisp. Although he could just upload his programming elsewhere, so... *shrug*.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Teek posted:

Not that it's too surprising, but I guess this means there's a high likelihood that this Zola copy is still alive in the sacred timeline as well, since it seems like his Russian copy predated any of the branching changes.

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the bunker from the end of Captain America: Civil War, so I feel like it's been thoroughly investigated in the main timeline and Zola was probably either wiped or put in storage in Avengers tower.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lamont posted:

Because this episode was kinda dumb but also because it wouldn't be very interesting

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Keep in mind Ultron is also very naive and young. It doesn't occur to him that there could be a multiverse or even other planets and life outside of Earth. He doesn't have the creativity needed. He is not a smart man, but has access to the internet. He is a cranky toddler with infinite access to data and no spam filter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

swickles posted:

Keep in mind Ultron is also very naive and young. It doesn't occur to him that there could be a multiverse or even other planets and life outside of Earth. He doesn't have the creativity needed. He is not a smart man, but has access to the internet. He is a cranky toddler with infinite access to data and no spam filter.

Ultron is literally created because Tony Stark realises that Earth is at risk from alien attack.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's great to see Clint finally having a chance to shine. His action scenes where awesome and there were so many silly trick arrows. They even brought in the USB-arrow!
But yeah, Vision really didn't pull his weight.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Phylodox posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, that was the bunker from the end of Captain America: Civil War, so I feel like it's been thoroughly investigated in the main timeline and Zola was probably either wiped or put in storage in Avengers tower.

Nah, that one was New Jersey, not Siberia. A common mistake.

Edit: Wait, the they were at the Kremlin and my Jersey dig fails utterly. I am undone.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 29, 2021

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I thought the episode was great, I'm surprised so many people were down on it.

The replacement VO for Ultron did fine, and Lake Bell was a lot better in this as Widow than the Fury's Big Week episode imo. And we got Zola back! I'm curious who Thanos sacrificed to get the Soul Stone (or how he found Vormir) though since Gamora was fighting with the GotG on Sovereign when Infinity Ultron went on his crusade.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I really liked this episode. I mean, I just saw a robot bite a galaxy in half!

I also like that a couple of episodes now have used the classic Kirby dots to indicate that some really powerful reality-bending lasers are being fired.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Ultron is literally created because Tony Stark realises that Earth is at risk from alien attack.

He literally doesn't realize there are other worlds until Thanos shows up. He says it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

swickles posted:

He literally doesn't realize there are other worlds until Thanos shows up. He says it.

Where does he think the gem in his head came from?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

swickles posted:

Oh you are right in which case my answer changes to 'lazy writing'.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tony Stark and Bruce Banner know there are aliens and other planets and that there's a place called Asgard, but that's kind of all they know. For all they know Loki's a martian. So even if Ultron has a basic awareness that there are other planets with life that's completely different from actually knowing what's out there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kirby Krackle in motion was fantastic.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I know worldbuilding plot logic whatever is of paramount importance to comic book nerds, but this series is also literally called "What If"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I'm honestly pleasantly surprised with how loose they've played with the details. I remember there were some of us who were wondering if they were gonna dare to kill any big heroes on screen at all and I'm happy to see them manhandle canon in such a way and slice Thanos in half on a whim for a quick plot device. I think the fun of it all is only enhanced by the conscious decision to wink at us every episode as they do some hilarious poo poo.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Oh you are right in which case my answer changes to 'lazy writing'.

I'm going to be charitable and assume that until Thanos showed up Ulton didn't have a reasonable way to get to other inhabited planets other than slow-boating it so the thought of wiping out life elsewhere didn't occur to him.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
These are the hand-picked examples out of an infinite multiverse, so we may safely assume some wild-rear end implausible coincidences happening off screen. The Soul Stone was delivered directly to Thanos due to a mixup at the post office. Trillion-to-one chance, but it happened somewhere.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I did like they finally learned not to throw every single voice actors name in the opening credits. Seeing one after they showed up was a good way to conceal that they were in the episode.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

seaborgium posted:

I did like they finally learned not to throw every single voice actors name in the opening credits. Seeing one after they showed up was a good way to conceal that they were in the episode.

Didn't they already do the name-hiding with Kurt Russel in the T'challa Star-Lord & Michael Douglas for Fury's Big Week episodes?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't they already do the name-hiding with Kurt Russel in the T'challa Star-Lord & Michael Douglas for Fury's Big Week episodes?

Kurt Russel was in the opening, I was waiting the whole episode to see him. I think Michael Douglas was as well.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I can't wait til Chris Evans' name pops up (to play the What IF/ version of the Human Torch).

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Evans was that old dialogue or an impressionist for President Steve's one line?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Speaking of Evans was that old dialogue or an impressionist for President Steve's one line?

Impression. Never heard him say his middle name before

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

seaborgium posted:

Kurt Russel was in the opening, I was waiting the whole episode to see him. I think Michael Douglas was as well.

The latter was not.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Okay this one's actually kinda bugging me: Episode 7 ends with Ultron already on his Multiverse extermination campaign and Uatu being all "Huh..." But Ultron doesn't start the campaign until the very end of episode 8 and he had to displace Uatu to do it. So does episode 7 take place during this one? Like, he watched long enough for Ultron to become aware of him and then said "This universe sucks, I'm changing the channel to Party Thor" and took his eye off the ball?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

Okay this one's actually kinda bugging me: Episode 7 ends with Ultron already on his Multiverse extermination campaign and Uatu being all "Huh..." But Ultron doesn't start the campaign until the very end of episode 8 and he had to displace Uatu to do it. So does episode 7 take place during this one? Like, he watched long enough for Ultron to become aware of him and then said "This universe sucks, I'm changing the channel to Party Thor" and took his eye off the ball?

I think it's implied that he's some kind of cosmic whatever who is watching everything all at the same time. He even says so in the Ultron episode, that he's seen everything has has and will happen.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Nameless Pete posted:

I think it’s that he was surprised by Ultron’s appearance in the last episode and this one is us back tracking and switching Universes to tell the story of how he got the stones

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Considering that they pushed the Gamora-as-Thanos episode to season two, I get the impression that the end of Party Thor was something they slapped together.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

The Gillman posted:

I think it’s that he was surprised by Ultron’s appearance in the last episode and this one is us back tracking and switching Universes to tell the story of how he got the stones

This is my read as well.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Considering that they pushed the Gamora-as-Thanos episode to season two

Did they? That seems strange since She's in a trailer shot along with Star Lord T'Challa, Killmonger(?) Black Panther, Captain Carter, and Party Thor, but it wouldn't be the first time Marvel did that sort of fakeout.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Lamont posted:

Honestly, maybe he didn't think of it? Like imagine you got a magic alien rock that obviously could power a city forever, you'd be like sure. and then sometime later someone tells you it also lets you talk to cats. It'd be out of nowhere.

For all we know Thanos did a bunch of research to realize the full power of the gems, while Ultron just used it like a power source.

Alternatively he just can't snap his fingers. he just can't like some people can't whistle.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Lamont posted:

Ultron doesn't imagine himself as a dispassionate restorer of balance. He hates living things and enjoys watching them die. He's incapable of something as remote as a simple snap.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lamont posted:

Subconsciously realised that would leave him without a purpose and so put it off for as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah seems like unlike thanos, ultron realizes that you can do way more genocide if you don't use 'em up and just continue using their passive abilities indefinitely