Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You can't grab on wakeup, yeah.

Melty is fun, some stuff feels pared down (where's my setplay) but it's day 1 so people will find fancy poo poo. I'm probably playing Warc or Blob, now I just need to look up some tech for the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dias posted:

Melty is fun, some stuff feels pared down (where's my setplay)

have you seen some of the poo poo hisui can do

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

have you seen some of the poo poo hisui can do

I mean, sure, it's still pared down compared to some of the poo poo Hisui could do, lol. Hard to get a KD but yeah, if you can set up bentos you can go crazy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Endorph posted:

really like how melty feels. i dont think it needed autocombo but everything else about it feels like melty.

also if its like og melty all of kouma's 'command grabs' are blockable even in neutral, its not a wakeup thing

That's not true btw, in current code at least his command grab is a legit grab, you might be thinking of Satsuki?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You know what? I was excited for the color palette stuff but Type Lumina has less drip than the MBAACC. Let me give Kouma vibrant colors drat it! Seriously though, I do hope we get more color palettes for customization later because this is a pretty limited selection.

I haven't even touched the tutorial yet this is important okay

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 30, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glagha posted:

That's not true btw, in current code at least his command grab is a legit grab, you might be thinking of Satsuki?
i might also be thinking of act cadenza tbh because i played way too much of that and im pretty sure its blockable there

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hm… torn between Arc and Red Arc atm. I appreciate that Arc has some Rock Howard moves quite a bit. But on the other hand, Red Arc actually has fireballs.

It’s also a nice QoL decision that they make you automatically super jump after a successful launcher

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/combojisan/status/1443553109473513480

These are cool

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wait, you can do Last Arcs without shielding during heat now?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Console melty not only has working invites instead of having to type in a room code/password, but on ps5 it actually works with the card system and straight up displays everyone on your friend list with an open lobby! This is actually pretty nice!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How's the netcode?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zeether posted:

Wait, you can do Last Arcs without shielding during heat now?

Yep. ABCD when you have 4 bars, shielding in Blood Heat just goes into it automatically

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

poe meater posted:

How's the netcode?

Feels good imo, had some stuttering with one friend who's internet is kind of bad but I think you can change the input delay by a couple frames to compensate so I'll try that next time. Still a hell of a lot better than trying to play dbfz or central fiction with that friend, which was an insanely frustrating experience.

Haven't tried playing against randos yet.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Hisui actually kind of owns, she's been my favourite so far in the hour or so of friendlies I've played, wanted to like Kouma but he feels too slow, 22C super armour install is kinda nutty though.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Been trying out hisui, it's really jarring because ladle and j.bb act very very different now but she has some really fun stuff that's new too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not sure if I like the auto combo stuff yet. It feels weird with how responsive and fast normals are in Melty. Let me hit 2A 7 times if I want to.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

In Training posted:

Not sure if I like the auto combo stuff yet. It feels weird with how responsive and fast normals are in Melty. Let me hit 2A 7 times if I want to.

You can. Hold back while tapping A and it will let you cancel A -> A up to 3 times I think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SweetBro posted:

You can. Hold back while tapping A and it will let you cancel A -> A up to 3 times I think

yeah I know but after 3 times it starts autocomboing anyway. What if I wanted to stand fullscreen and whiff 5A 10 times in a row for mind games purposes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

In Training posted:

yeah I know but after 3 times it starts autocomboing anyway. What if I wanted to stand fullscreen and whiff 5A 10 times in a row for mind games purposes.

The "are they having a stoke?" Mind game is strong

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm more of a "full screen shimmy, still eat the fireball" mindgamer myself

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

What yomi level would this be

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make them pause the game to determkne whether or not the game crashed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
autocombos are garbage and it really sucks that they're seemingly finding their way into every franchise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont mind autocombos but itd be nice if there was a way to turn them off. some games like fighterz are built around them in a way thatd make that hard but they feel pretty tacked on here.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

autocombos are garbage and it really sucks that they're seemingly finding their way into every franchise

I like autocombos. As someone with old man hands, the execution barrier felt incredibly prohibitive in a lot of fighting games that I would in practice only be able to play a few non-combo dependent characters competitively. Which was a real downer since I really love the neutral and mindgames aspect of fighters. So even if autocombos aren't optimal, it makes my punishes at least semi-comparable that of someone with a high execution skill. Meaning that I might have to win neutral a couple more times to win the match, as opposed to have to win it twice as much if not more.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Autocombos are cool, especially if they're suboptimal but add extra options for a character. Don't mash and you'll be fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's not the training wheels aspect, i don't really care about that one way or the other

i dislike contextual inputs in general and i especially dislike ones that depend on what you were doing or where you were a minute ago rather than what/where you are right now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aren't autocombos basically like...a one button rekka? You can definitely treat them like one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if you literally had a dedicated Autocombo Button or started one with QCF i wouldn't be complaining lol

i don't like near / far versions of normals either. it's one of the biggest reasons i generally prefer 6-button fighters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

Autocombos are cool, especially if they're suboptimal but add extra options for a character. Don't mash and you'll be fine.

the issue is that mashing jab was an extremely common part of neutral in previous melty games

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
That's fair. I think the one issue with adding a way to turn it off is being able to hold forward while spamming A but they could probably find a way around that.

Endorph posted:

the issue is that mashing jab was an extremely common part of neutral in previous melty games

Also fair, but gotta adapt to the game as is.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm having a hard time getting used to moving around after playing Potemkin and I'm also getting inputs for moon skills/EX moves mixed up. I do think the autocombos are kind of annoying because it's just way too easy to double tap an autocombo on accident and gently caress up something. Maybe if the autocombos were only on one button it wouldn't be as big of an issue but they put it on every button where it gets a lot more obnoxious.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lumina autocombos are cool because they are both a bridge for new gamers to confirm into something useful and they are a pitfall to encourage old heads to hit cleaner inputs. If you accidentally mash into an autocombo launcher you can just switch to your actual air combo string and keep going.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Yeah so far I've been using them as a consolation prize if I drop my inputs/accidentally mash

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Personally I've had a lot of fun experimenting chaining auto-combos into one another by either special canceling or dropping them at the right time. Although I'm guessing the latter is probably very techable. Too bad mechanical frame-data isn't available yet.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The autocombos are the same slide forward throwing out buttons on whiff nonsense from dbfz, only in that game you could just hold back if you wanted to stagger with jabs. Instead the devs have decided that I can only jab three times in a row before one of them is going to physically start pressing other buttons on my controller because unlike dbfz the auto combos are barely even distinct from just doing the sequence normally - which would be fine if it wasn't so easy for them to come out given the low hitstop on moves in this game. French bread despise people modding their games so I guess this is just another step in their "you can only play the game in the way WE decide" ethos.
The fun thing about fighting games (for the gameplay) is being able to pick what moves I want to do and how I use them within the system. these autocombos on literally every button feel like trying to text someone with an overzealous spellcheck on that can't be removed. I have to many things I'm focusing on in any given time to find making sure I only hit a button exactly 1 time enjoyable.

Other weird poo poo includes the huge RPS around the new shield mechanic that you can just kinda hold forever b/c it doesn't cost meter or anything and thus the other person has to go out of their way to hit you with something that beats the shield or gamble on a counter to your counter, the hyped up color customization actually just being premade palletes you can pick from instead of being able to say, specifically change arcueids hair color or something, the screen size and movement reminding me more of under night but I still have stubby melty buttons, the fact that the main person I netplay play fighting games with in every other modern game was reporting shitloads of rollback while I wasn't experiencing any issues because the servers on the PC port are borked and way too much money for DLC announcers like it's still 2013.

The entire experience just makes me come out feeling like I'd rather play older melty blood games and if I wanted to play as saber I would just continue writing letters for that FUC port

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 30, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This is the first time I’ve heard it referred to as a fuc port and I like it

Edit: also just buy Nitroplus. It owns

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is the PC port running stable for everybody? I seem to regularly crash while looking for network matches and I'm not sure if that is a me thing or something affects other people as well.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
It's definitely a thing people are mentioning and a reason why I'm waiting on the sidelines until the issue is fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I like darealkooky posts because they're really easy to ignore