Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's pretty simple. A piece of 2x2 quarter wall box tubing forms the bottom of the A frame. It's got two pieces of scrap box tubing welded on with holes drilled through the long sides to act as double shear mounts to the bumper (I use 1in pin D-shackles on my off-road bumpers, so the pins are 1 inch grade 8 bolts.). Two 10ft lengths of black 2in steel plumbing pipe from Home Depot are the arms. They connect at the top with a ~8in piece of 2x2 quarter wall box tubing that has two little gussets/brackets welded to it supporting a 1in cold rolled solid pin.

You pin it onto the bumper, use a D ring shackle and a 20ft recovery strap to secure it to the rear bumper's recovery points (your dimensions will be different so use your imagination here) and hang a harbor freight chainfall hoist of whatever size you desire on the pin. Go forth and pick up whatever the gently caress you want, trundle around in 4x4 low range and put it down wherever. I literally didn't use my engine hoist from 2013 through... 2018 because I had this and no paved driveway anyways.

It can be a pain in the rear end to get it rigged working alone, but mostly because I didn't design the bumper mounting tabs very nicely and, well, it works Good Enough that I don't care enough to redo that part.

Here it is lifting a bagster containing 3 cubic yards of severely decayed asphalt roofing shingles and gravel. That's somewhere between 6000 and 7500lb most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

um excuse me posted:

So then where are we on the sketchy scale on a wood gantry hoist? I could use an actual LVL beam which is a step further than the 4x4 ones I typically see.

I built a gantry out of 2x4s and used it to haul a full beehive to the top of a 3 story house in San Francisco. It worked great!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

It's pretty simple. A piece of 2x2 quarter wall box tubing forms the bottom of the A frame. It's got two pieces of scrap box tubing welded on with holes drilled through the long sides to act as double shear mounts to the bumper (I use 1in pin D-shackles on my off-road bumpers, so the pins are 1 inch grade 8 bolts.). Two 10ft lengths of black 2in steel plumbing pipe from Home Depot are the arms. They connect at the top with a ~8in piece of 2x2 quarter wall box tubing that has two little gussets/brackets welded to it supporting a 1in cold rolled solid pin.

You pin it onto the bumper, use a D ring shackle and a 20ft recovery strap to secure it to the rear bumper's recovery points (your dimensions will be different so use your imagination here) and hang a harbor freight chainfall hoist of whatever size you desire on the pin. Go forth and pick up whatever the gently caress you want, trundle around in 4x4 low range and put it down wherever. I literally didn't use my engine hoist from 2013 through... 2018 because I had this and no paved driveway anyways.

It can be a pain in the rear end to get it rigged working alone, but mostly because I didn't design the bumper mounting tabs very nicely and, well, it works Good Enough that I don't care enough to redo that part.

Here it is lifting a bagster containing 3 cubic yards of severely decayed asphalt roofing shingles and gravel. That's somewhere between 6000 and 7500lb most likely.

You should put a crane load chart on your dashboard. I used to have a picture of the Kastein Krane on my last phone and it was probably my second most shared bits of SA lore to irl people (first place was the P-P-P-Powerbook). Probably everyone I've ever shown it to thought it was the coolest damned thing they'd ever seen.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Got a new floor jack and, while I realized it would be bigger than the old Craftsman I’ve had for 20 years, I didn’t realize how much bigger:

um excuse me posted:

So I might have to pull another engine. The harbor freight hoist was great with one exception: the reach was terrible. I was about a foot short to balance the motor. Does anyone make a similarly built (read:cheap) hoist with just a bit more reach? I'd go measure it but I already hate sold it.

Which one do you have, 1-ton or 2-ton? My 2-ton is pretty freaking big:

Note that I have an I6 balanced with transmission and transfer case from the 1.5-ton hole.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kastein posted:

Covid has hosed this up for all of you because beater truck prices are insane now, but that's why I contraptioneered this Jeep crane years ago, it cost way less than a gantry.

It fits the bumpers I built for my Honcho, white Comanche, and the factory recovery points on my 5 ton. Depending what truck it is on and the boom angle, it can lift anywhere from 750 to 6000lbs and get it anywhere from 6 to 12ish feet in the air.

Would strongly recommend building something like this if you find yourself lifting heavy things with any regularity, especially if you don't have a hard work surface.

That's awesome, I name it yeet wagon

Advent Horizon posted:

Got a new floor jack and, while I realized it would be bigger than the old Craftsman I’ve had for 20 years, I didn’t realize how much bigger:

I had the exact same experience when I bought my Costco jack and got it home next to my ancient :canada: tire special from 25 years ago (which basically looked identical to your craftsman, just grey)

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

The first time I used one of those Daytona floor jacks I managed to get it stuck under the car. After lifting the car I pulled the handle out of the jack (usually do this to avoid tripping over it), and because it has some kind of built in return spring, the receiver for the handle immediately swung up perpindicular to the ground. Then there's no way to get the handle back in, since the car is in the way. I had to use the scissor jack that came with the car to jack up the car further to get the Daytona out. Hopefully there's some other trick that I'm missing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I.G. posted:

The first time I used one of those Daytona floor jacks I managed to get it stuck under the car. After lifting the car I pulled the handle out of the jack (usually do this to avoid tripping over it), and because it has some kind of built in return spring, the receiver for the handle immediately swung up perpindicular to the ground. Then there's no way to get the handle back in, since the car is in the way. I had to use the scissor jack that came with the car to jack up the car further to get the Daytona out. Hopefully there's some other trick that I'm missing.

Yeah, leave the jack assembled. If you're going to be a while, put the car on a jack stand and remove the jack entirely.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

If you’re going to be under the car at all, use a jackstand. The only time I don’t is when I’m changing a tire - off and on from the outside in 30 seconds or less.

Toss a tire+wheel underneath for a backup to the jackstands.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Going to post this here and in the HCH tools thread:

Short Vidya about how Tekton makes their angle wrenches.
https://www.tekton.com/how-we-make-...b9282-128383256

Thought y'all might be interested in seeing it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
For ear protection, I usually wear over ears and cover a set of Jaybird Taras. I'm happy with the Taras, especially since they survived a trip through the washer and dryer in a pocket. They also provide decent isolation and comfort. I can listen to music or a podcast at a reasonable volume while mowing the lawn.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Going to post this here and in the HCH tools thread:

Short Vidya about how Tekton makes their angle wrenches.
https://www.tekton.com/how-we-make-...b9282-128383256

Thought y'all might be interested in seeing it.

Added to my Black Friday shopping list.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Wrar posted:

For ear protection, I usually wear over ears and cover a set of Jaybird Taras. I'm happy with the Taras, especially since they survived a trip through the washer and dryer in a pocket. They also provide decent isolation and comfort. I can listen to music or a podcast at a reasonable volume while mowing the lawn.

This has been my exact setup too. Really happy with how the Jaybirds have held up also.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Would you?

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-125-volt-self-test-gfci-duplex-outlet-57958.html

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'll pay $4 more for one from major brand thanks

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My house the GFCI is just in the fuse at the fuse box. None of those outlets are in my house

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Absolutely not. No way no how.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Absolutely the gently caress not

Best case I save like. A whole 4 dollars vs a leviton one at home Depot.

More likely, it is a loving piece of poo poo and nuisance trips constantly, resulting in me wasting time and/or money replacing it with the same leviton.

Worst case, it fails to trip and I die because I was doing something stupid and relying on it doing its job.

4 dollars isn't even worth the first nuisance trip in the middle of something important.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I know that it's probably made in the same factory and is probably just as safe as name brand equipment. However both of the electric powered tools I've bought from Harbor Freight smelled like an electrical fire when they were turned on and had to be returned. Fool me once...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure the HF heat gun I have is just a drill without a chuck.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

Absolutely the gently caress not

Best case I save like. A whole 4 dollars vs a leviton one at home Depot.

More likely, it is a loving piece of poo poo and nuisance trips constantly, resulting in me wasting time and/or money replacing it with the same leviton.

Worst case, it fails to trip and I die because I was doing something stupid and relying on it doing its job.

4 dollars isn't even worth the first nuisance trip in the middle of something important.

How do you even get a nuisance trip on a GFCI? Its two loops of wire in opposite directions and if you get a magnetic field your poo poo is leaking power. Harbor Freight would almost have to try and screw that up, but I'm sure they're up to the task.

My bet is that thing (and the Stab Loc breaker their target audience still has in their basement) stays engaged until long after you've boiled away into gumbo in your bathtub.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

How do you even get a nuisance trip on a GFCI? Its two loops of wire in opposite directions and if you get a magnetic field your poo poo is leaking power. Harbor Freight would almost have to try and screw that up, but I'm sure they're up to the task.

How do you get nuisance trips on any GFCI? How and why do they often get worse with the age of the outlet? How and why do they fail?

This isn't unique to HF GFCIs, it's a thing that is and always has been. It's pretty safe to make the assumption that lower quality units will have more of these problems sooner.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I.G. posted:

This actually happened to me the other day, I had the car on stands and was using the jack to support/adjust the exhaust. Turns out the end of the jack handle is a 1/2" square drive, so I stuck an impact extension where the handle used to be and used a wrench to turn it and release the jack tension.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Motronic posted:

How do you get nuisance trips on any GFCI? How and why do they often get worse with the age of the outlet? How and why do they fail?

This isn't unique to HF GFCIs, it's a thing that is and always has been. It's pretty safe to make the assumption that lower quality units will have more of these problems sooner.

You misunderstand, I've heard several electricians tell me nuisance trips don't exist and the only people I've ever heard say that they do are plugging old janky poo poo into them. All things fail, but I've never heard an explanation as to how a GFCI fails in a way that it pushes the contacts apart for no reason. I'm open to being told something like "the latching mechanism wears out and can't hold tension against the spring", but all I ever get is "I've used this treadmill for years, obviously its the safety device that's the problem".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anecdotally, a couple years ago there was a GCFI outlet in our kitchen that just wouldn't work for half a day. Resetting it and resetting the breaker didn't work, but by the end of the day it was working just fine. More than likely, it wasn't wired properly in the first place and one of the connections wasn't solid, so the tiny movement of plugging and unplugging things was to blame for breaking and also fixing the outlet

I did also have a non-GCFI 3 prong literally explode when I plugged in a mini fridge, so I'm suspect of all of the wiring in the house :shrug:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've got a GFCI outlet in my bathroom that pops whenever I turn my Wahl trimmer off. Running the trimmer is fine, turning the trimmer on is fine, turning the trimmer off is not fine. Pretty confident that is not an outlet problem.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have found that old and or lovely GFCIs definitely trip more often than new, good ones.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've got a GFCI outlet in my bathroom that pops whenever I turn my Wahl trimmer off. Running the trimmer is fine, turning the trimmer on is fine, turning the trimmer off is not fine. Pretty confident that is not an outlet problem.

Your trimmer might dump back-emf to ground when you shut it off. That would probably trip a GFCI

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Might be solvable with just a capacitor or tvs diode across the motor terminals? If you're down to do trimmer surgery and post pics of the guts, I can suggest circuit modifications and show you where to get the parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

therobit posted:

I have found that old and or lovely GFCIs definitely trip more often than new, good ones.

And now we get back to the root of this discussion: does anyone who at all cares enough about safety to install a GFCI, expect that Harbor loving Freight, purveyor of jackstands that don't, is making/selling a "good" GFCI?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

IOwnCalculus posted:

And now we get back to the root of this discussion: does anyone who at all cares enough about safety to install a GFCI, expect that Harbor loving Freight, purveyor of jackstands that don't, is making/selling a "good" GFCI?

I mean, the real question is if the factories HF is sourcing from have any QC process, and I think we all know the answer.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No, but not because I think it would trip too often. I assume it would either not trip at all or find a way to catch fire.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ryanrs posted:

Might be solvable with just a capacitor or tvs diode across the motor terminals? If you're down to do trimmer surgery and post pics of the guts, I can suggest circuit modifications and show you where to get the parts.

Thanks but I just deal with it by unplugging the trimmer before turning it off. I only posted to provide an extra data point for the discussion.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Today I learned that Gearwrench sells a set of 10mm sockets, and only 10mm sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH7DM14/

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

boxen posted:

Today I learned that Gearwrench sells a set of 10mm sockets, and only 10mm sockets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH7DM14/

I bought three of these and gave them away as gifts last year to car buddies. 10/10 would recommend.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Thanks but I just deal with it by unplugging the trimmer before turning it off. I only posted to provide an extra data point for the discussion.

This is a bad idea. You're arcing the terminals inside the receptacle every time you do this, which will burn them out/cause a fire eventually. The trimmer is hosed and either throwing a huge EMF spike or has a damaged power switch where something hot is touching something not when the switch is moved from on to off. Replace the trimmer and I'll bet the problem magically disappears. They're $20...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Naw, just git gud and do a frame perfect yoink at the zero crossing point

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I had a 'simple' project take an extra three days and annoyed my wife because the last person to install an axle nut on the car caught the threads when they peened it. Got a rethreading kit specifically for axles, but now I want to get a general purpose SAE/Metric kit to ward off future evil.

Anything out there better than this CTA kit (amazon)?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

monsterzero posted:

I had a 'simple' project take an extra three days and annoyed my wife because the last person to install an axle nut on the car caught the threads when they peened it. Got a rethreading kit specifically for axles, but now I want to get a general purpose SAE/Metric kit to ward off future evil.

Anything out there better than this CTA kit (amazon)?

I have this USA made kit, which based on the guys over at Garage Journal - is the OEM for the MAC/Snap On.

https://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Craftsman-971-2750-48-pc-SAE-Metric-Thread-Restorer-Kit?preview=3528

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

This is a bad idea. You're arcing the terminals inside the receptacle every time you do this, which will burn them out/cause a fire eventually. The trimmer is hosed and either throwing a huge EMF spike or has a damaged power switch where something hot is touching something not when the switch is moved from on to off. Replace the trimmer and I'll bet the problem magically disappears. They're $20...

Plug it into a short extension cord and let that be the sacrificial socket, or better yet, get a cord with an inline switch and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I love how this thread won't just not use the faulty electrics.