Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought, no fill and I got it in two goes. I actually found it harder with a team because you can't avoid combat as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

why avoid combat when you can simply do the quest then win on your own :smug:

the quest is very poorly thought out though

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

After ten games, still no raven. I either get jumped by three or four squads, or get killed by the ring while running from a trio. Even kept my weapons hidden so no one would think I was hunting them. Nope. This mode needs a serious work over.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Just do it in 3 weeks when the newness has worn off

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Diddler posted:

The place where they decide the "proper way to play" Apex is *also* the place that said "make 'em chase a bird" so it would appear to me that for the next month the "proper way to play" in pubs might involve chasing a bird.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the devs have had different priorities then the community pretty much since launch, for better and worse.

Just chuck it in a PVE mission its not like they don't have the resources to do it at this point :v:

Then again they can't even seem to do a patch without killing the game so w/e :shrug:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Next release will be a full singleplayer story that you progress via checkpoints through battle royale. It's a bold strategic decision that will further define the genre with a style that's never been done before.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I managed to pull it off in one game by probably getting lucky that both the hot drop fighting had moved and my prowler route was away from everyone too. Had me worried when I loaded in the champion as a solo bloodhound though

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just got into this this week, and wow its good. But is it really common for your team mates to die within minutes in over half of your games? It happens ALOT and it ends up getting pretty frustrating.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i almost exclusively play with people i know in a discord, i think there's a goon one. you should be recovering your mates but people in solo queue constantly just leave the game instead.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CoolCab posted:

i almost exclusively play with people i know in a discord, i think there's a goon one. you should be recovering your mates but people in solo queue constantly just leave the game instead.

Yeah I try to get them up, but they often just leave. I've had around half of my games go where I'm the only person with kills, often with any damage. I can't really go whole hog into "playing with friends" because I can't really use a headset or sit and play for hours, just a round or two when I have a few free minutes. Game is fun regardless!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's also possible you don't quite understand how the revive mechanic works or how/when to do it effectively and they're seeing what you're doing, not having a ton of faith in your ability to get them up and bailing. similarly there are toxic teammates who won't revive people and you might inadvertently be signaling that kind of thing for the above reason.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CoolCab posted:

it's also possible you don't quite understand how the revive mechanic works or how/when to do it effectively and they're seeing what you're doing, not having a ton of faith in your ability to get them up and bailing. similarly there are toxic teammates who won't revive people and you might inadvertently be signaling that kind of thing for the above reason.

That's a fair assumption, but I don't think it accurate. Someone solo dropping away from the team and dying and leaving isn't doing that because of me. And honestly yeah, I'm often not able to get them up because they both die as soon as we make contact with a squad and I'm stuck 1v3 trying to survive!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

When you're starting your MMR is going to be all fucky, which is probably compounding your issues. I don't get that many people solo dropping in trios/being absolutely terrible.

But yeah just play with goons. If you ping the @LFG room you'll probably get someone to jump in.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, it's fine if you only have about an hour to play. Other people will gladly hop on and take your place when you leave. Best time for games is usually evening to night time US but you can get some games going in the morning too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, it's fine if you only have about an hour to play. Other people will gladly hop on and take your place when you leave. Best time for games is usually evening to night time US but you can get some games going in the morning too.

Yeah it's usually in the evenings for me after the kids go to bed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just got into this this week, and wow its good. But is it really common for your team mates to die within minutes in over half of your games? It happens ALOT and it ends up getting pretty frustrating.

I've been playing it for about 4 weeks and it's really enjoyable. Mechanics took a bit of getting used to for me, the only other BR game I play is Warzone, and I don't think I've won a single game in that (not counting Plunder).

My Apex games vary widely but I've won around 17 or 18 between Duos and Trios. Some games I do quite well and have helpful teammates, getting into the final rings and getting lucky sometimes.

Then we have the opposite, where me or my entire team is wiped out before all the players have even landed. I've only played with friends a few times so most times it's randoms. Stick with it, get to know the weapons and find a Legend you like.

I used to love the R-301 Carbine, but now I'm all about heavy ammo weapons now like the Flatline and Rampage for short to long range engagements, and when up close I try to shred enemy ammo with my primary and quickly switch to shotgun to hammer their health.

Oh, also make sure you have a throwable or two handy, I got a lovely kill earlier with some punk up on a bridge right above me, and with the way the ring was I wouldn't have been able to shoot him unless he poked his head out. Which he did, I landed some damage before I lost line of sight, but gave him the good news with a couple of thermite grenades. He didn't like it.

This is all probably really obvious and I'm sorry for ranting, it's just been a fun distraction for me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the l star is insanely, insanely broken right now and it will be nerfed extremely hard. go to the firing range and play with it until you understand how to burst fire continuously without overloading it (it's not hard), how to hipfire with it and when putting your mouse on target draw little circles to compensate for the recoil. prioritize a 2 or 3x hog specifically, those are the best scopes for it. pair it with a short range panic option or a sniper, i like prowler.

protips.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

My favorite thing is when I get sticks with Fuse and they run back to their squad and suicide bomb them. It would be more fun with arc stars but its much harder to get sticks with them.

I'm pretty sure Fuse is still undertuned but I cackle like an idiot when I start an engagement by throwing two knuckle clusters at the doors of the room then spend 10 seconds filling it with explosives.

That's all, just wanted it off my chest.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 1, 2021

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CoolCab posted:

the l star is insanely, insanely broken right now and it will be nerfed extremely hard. go to the firing range and play with it until you understand how to burst fire continuously without overloading it (it's not hard), how to hipfire with it and when putting your mouse on target draw little circles to compensate for the recoil. prioritize a 2 or 3x hog specifically, those are the best scopes for it. pair it with a short range panic option or a sniper, i like prowler.

protips.

This is good advice just be aware that the ADS movement speed on LStar is extremely slow. Here's another protip: you can't precook frag grenades but they will begin cooking as soon as you throw them so your best option is to throw them in a high arc so they go off right as they land.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
You can ads briefly then un-ads and hip fire and still keep the ads accuracy for awhile. V helpful for stuff midrange (tho the L star hipfire seems good without it).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Hip firing (on console at least) is actually very viable and allows you to move a bit more. Surprised me at first but the time to kill is so link moving a little and forcing a player to reload or swap while you just hip fire is really effective.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

iirc controller aim assist only kicks in while you're moving so hip firing and constant movement there seems like the big brain move.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

CoolCab posted:

when putting your mouse on target draw little circles to compensate for the recoil.
protips.

This actually helped so much, I'd kept trying the l star but had no idea what to do with the recoil and eventually just went back to the volt. Anything without like, a cs go level obvious recoil pattern just stymies me I guess. Finally get why people say it's so strong.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

https://streamable.com/s9s4od

Newt goes where it wants

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

foutre posted:

This actually helped so much, I'd kept trying the l star but had no idea what to do with the recoil and eventually just went back to the volt. Anything without like, a cs go level obvious recoil pattern just stymies me I guess. Finally get why people say it's so strong.

yeah, it fuckin shreds. it's a peculiarity of the engine - to prevent people's POV from going crazy if they are full automatic firing while turning around or something, so long as your mouse is moving a certain amount recoil is significantly reduced. most guns fire too quick for the effect to be really pronounced (the faster the fire rate the faster you need to draw circles) but high damage and low fire rate automatic weapons like the flatline and l star it's very noticeable.

also, if you put a vibrator on your mouse you get the same effect, lol.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Someone solo dropping away from the team and dying and leaving isn't doing that because of me. And honestly yeah, I'm often not able to get them up because they both die as soon as we make contact with a squad and I'm stuck 1v3 trying to survive!

I'm playing on PSN, and this is a fairly stereotypical representation of how games go. Like someone else mentioned, you should start seeing some of this stuff a bit less in pubs if you show a decent control of the game mechanics. But if you want a guaranteed decent squad you don't want to rely on the game providing them for you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

iirc controller aim assist only kicks in while you're moving so hip firing and constant movement there seems like the big brain move.

this is def not the case, aim assist works even if you aren't moving.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/459114933993340951/888487676452429834/aim_assist_is_broken.mp4

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I maintain that this is the funniest clip of apex i've ever seen.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

I maintain that this is the funniest clip of apex i've ever seen.

It really is

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

He plays it up really well.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Iirc there's two types of aim assist, one works while stationary but you only get rotational aim assist while moving . That's the main type that murders you up close.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's the same either way. It manages recoil and tracks the target.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
So my game is making me force close every time I quit and recompiles the shaders every time I restart... is there a workaround to make it not do that?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hackan Slash posted:

Iirc there's two types of aim assist, one works while stationary but you only get rotational aim assist while moving . That's the main type that murders you up close.

I'm inclined to agree with "aim assist is aim assist" but good to know if a controller player is standing still they won't be nearly as good at tracking you horizontally.

Though now I'm curious, considering the habit of the left-right strafe wiggle people pick up (regardless of your input type) if that then becomes a moot point.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Aim assist requires there be some stick input, because people would get weirded out by it partially locking on to players as they walk past. If you turn you deadzone low enough you will get aim assist kicking in when you stand still.

The thing about aim assist that feels bad for me is that jinking or peeking that would work against a KBM player won't work against a controller player. Because they can track faster than human reaction time.

I think you could fix it by making aim assist take 200ms or whatever to adjust for changes in direction of the target, but you would have to mess with a whole bunch of stuff to make it still be playable.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CoolCab posted:

yeah, it fuckin shreds. it's a peculiarity of the engine - to prevent people's POV from going crazy if they are full automatic firing while turning around or something, so long as your mouse is moving a certain amount recoil is significantly reduced. most guns fire too quick for the effect to be really pronounced (the faster the fire rate the faster you need to draw circles) but high damage and low fire rate automatic weapons like the flatline and l star it's very noticeable.

also, if you put a vibrator on your mouse you get the same effect, lol.

It’s hella good on the rampage too. Such a weird part of the engine. I’ve seen videos of people who just l’île tremor shake their hand super fast and get really good recoil control on everything.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

ADS also snaps to the center of the target while they are moving if you are off-center (unless they took this out at some point)

Lexusbeat posted:

I think you could fix it by making aim assist take 200ms or whatever to adjust for changes in direction of the target, but you would have to mess with a whole bunch of stuff to make it still be playable.
just letting controller players shoot at bigger aim assist hitboxes when the target is visible and getting rid of the rotational tracking would be better than this system and remove a lot of the inhuman aspects. also more easily tweakable

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 1, 2021

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Reek posted:

So my game is making me force close every time I quit and recompiles the shaders every time I restart... is there a workaround to make it not do that?

Update your graphics driver? I did that and it fixed super long map preload times

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Quit out after I realized teammate was doing the stupid bird quest. gently caress that poo poo play without a teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s horrible right now. If you play WE and get a pubbie Bloodhound you’re automatically down a man.