Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Eastbound Spider posted:

i hope the new battlefield is fun

same, it looks fun so far so I'm excited to playit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Charles 1998 posted:

Sniper fire puts pressure on enemies since they usually can't engage back, and have change their method of attack. They can also engage at unique angles at longer ranges that makes it more difficult for infantry to seek refuge. Sniper harassment can get to a point where an entire squad or vehicle will redirect their efforts to engage lone sniper, while the rest of the snipers team can engage the objectives.

Sir, this is a battlefield thread.

The times I've seen a sniper be able to put that sort of pressure on a team or have my team be harassed to the point of needing a group of players to take out the sniper I can count on one hand with fingers to spare in the now 19 years I've been playing this series.

Even if the team could be harassed to a point of annoyance where a vehicle is used, it's literally seconds of time investment from a plane or helicopter pilot to eliminate the sniper. Not enough of a difference for the sniper's team to act on.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Recon gadgets: useful. give them to other classes
Sniper rifles: bad, unfun to play against, promotes being far away from objectives

:emptyquote:

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 1, 2021

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Recon gadgets: useful. give them to other classes
Sniper rifles: bad, unfun to play against, promotes being far away from objectives

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Fallom posted:

Is it really an argument if everybody agrees and then somebody rolls in to try gaslighting them into thinking that the hill campers are useful

Is it an argument if someone uses meme terms that have nothing to do with the discussion?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry to interrupt but lmao meme terms

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The best recon weapon is the shotgun

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Charles 1998 posted:

Is it an argument if someone uses meme terms that have nothing to do with the discussion?

Wait are you saying that Gaslighting is a meme term?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Fried Watermelon posted:

The best recon weapon is the shotgun

that's right

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Charles 1998 posted:

And you can stand in capture points without dying 20 times and getting 0 kills.

I'd rather someone go 0-20 while pushing with the team and trying to capture points rather than go 3-20 and sniping off in the distance.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'd rather someone go 0-20 while pushing with the team and trying to capture points rather than go 3-20 and sniping off in the distance.

Why?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

He would probably have more points.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The guy capping points affected the ticket count of the game more than 3 kills the guy sniping from far off did

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Target Practice posted:

Wait are you saying that Gaslighting is a meme term?

It was certainly used poorly in this context and overused in general. It's meant to cause someone to question their sanity, it doesn't just mean a take someone disagrees with. I wish people would stop using it so casually.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

The guy capping points affected the ticket count of the game more than 3 kills the guy sniping from far off did

How do you know this?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The wookiee sniper is useless and contributes nothing to the team 99% of the time. A guy rushing points with a knife is more likely to help the team than the wook, who probably has less than like 0.10 kpm.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

How do you know this?

Because it’s obvious?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

RCarr posted:

Because it’s obvious?

Not really. If you subtracted that player from the game, how do you know it would result in more points scored for your team than if you subtracted the sniper?

And we're returning back to the same issue, where you're obsessed with minmaxing your win/loss ratio in a casual game, at the expense of other people's enjoyment.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bring back the Commander so he or she can drop cruise missiles on Roof Wookies and put an end to their bullshit.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Charles 1998 posted:

How do you know this?

Given that tickets aren't deducted till a player respawns and a sniper going 3 and 20 likely isn't good at getting follow up shots or maintaining focus on medics, the player he killed has a good chance of being revived.

On ontop of that, the player pushing the objective to help capture and going 0 and 20 is doing a net benefit that offsets the sniper due to the ticket bleed from captured flags if his team gets a majority. (since they both have 20 deaths/respawns, they cancel their individual ticket count drains out)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jisforjosh posted:

Given that tickets aren't deducted till a player respawns and a sniper going 3 and 20 likely isn't good at getting follow up shots or maintaining focus on medics, the player he killed has a good chance of being revived.

On ontop of that, the player pushing the objective to help capture and going 0 and 20 is doing a net benefit that offsets the sniper due to the ticket bleed from captured flags if his team gets a majority. (since they both have 20 deaths/respawns, they cancel their individual ticket count drains out)

Now I feel less terrible about my k/d ratio. I inevitably play Engineer to try to take out pesky vehicles or support to provide covering fire. My TTD is usually pretty bad!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

So how many BF1 Artillery Truck kills do you have?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

jisforjosh posted:

So the sniper is playing 70% as efficient as the player. Are you a team captain picking out players for your kickball team now?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Ynglaur posted:

Now I feel less terrible about my k/d ratio. I inevitably play Engineer to try to take out pesky vehicles or support to provide covering fire. My TTD is usually pretty bad!

I will never KDR shame someone pushing the objective. If nothing else, your soaking up bullets keeps my kill streaks alive longer. You're a valuable teammate.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm going to get reported so much :v:

Charles 1998 posted:

And you can stand in capture points without dying 20 times and getting 0 kills.

No, I can't. It's unimaginable to not accidentally get five kills on my way from point A to point B. It sounds like a level of tunnel vision (and self control?) that I couldn't muster, ever.

You'd need to have bad glaucoma, disable the UI, and maybe not touch anything but the movement keys. Is there not a temptation to take tags off every prone dumbass you pass? Is there no pavlovian compulsion to throw a grenade into a choke point? Mine the enemy spawn? Even during a flank is there not the desire to gravitate towards the gunfire?

Anyhow, every time a team hits 1/3 snipers, they are guaranteed to lose -- like clockwork. This is not true for any other class.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I will never KDR shame someone pushing the objective. If nothing else, your soaking up bullets keeps my kill streaks alive longer. You're a valuable teammate.

Absolutely. Any well-played support role is a huge addition. My buddy plays BF with one goal: to get his body in capture points. He dies doing it like a motherfucker. Probably has a KD around .20. But by god, the man chalks up Ws.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is a good thread. Can’t wait to pick my own team for Hazard Zone.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
DICE is going to set bot logic to "camp uselessly on a hill" to give it that, "playing with a full team of real players" feel.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Every sniper is stupid until I’m the one sniping, then I am an asset to the team.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i played a lot of 2142 with my dad who ran a popular knife-only server way back when

hope the game lives up to some of the hype, i guess we'll see next week

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Every sniper is stupid until I’m the one sniping, then I am an asset to the team.

Agreed, but only when I'm running iron sights

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Stop complaining about snipers, it's really not that big of deal and neither is winning or losing, none of this matters. All that matters is METRO 24/7 NO EXPLOSIVES FAST UNLOCK XP+++++

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

Not really. If you subtracted that player from the game, how do you know it would result in more points scored for your team than if you subtracted the sniper?

And we're returning back to the same issue, where you're obsessed with minmaxing your win/loss ratio in a casual game, at the expense of other people's enjoyment.

Because even being on capture point for a few seconds once every few minutes will outscore most snipers. That’s without shooting anyone, or providing any type of support (healing, resupply, spotting, etc).

It’s just black and white, flat out, 100% a fact that a sniper who sits on a cliff somewhere the whole game, is less useful than anyone else playing the objectives.

I’m confident I could easily outscore a bush wookie without firing my gun once.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

I like the way Hell Let Loose does it, where your score is divided into four separate categories:

Combat - score for killing or destroying enemy infantry, vehicles, structures etc

Offense and Defense - capturing or defending objectives

Support - aiding your team by healing, providing ammo, or building things

then at the end of the round your score is added with your squad members

basically K/D is rendered meaningless and not shown at all. only you can view your own K/D through a private statistics page

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I remember the days of yore when CTs would literally camp their own CT spawn and the Ts would invade it on de_maps.

you have to give players a compelling reason to care about the objectives otherwise way more people are gonna just do dumb poo poo

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Symetrique posted:

I mean thats basically what the gameplay sabotage report function that worked up half the thread and started this sniper bickering would be for.

You're soooo close to getting it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Skyarb posted:

You're soooo close to getting it.

I mean, your halo analogy of purposefully greifing by taking the literal objective item isn't quite the same as some lone wolf idiot staying away from the point. You can still win with wookies in the hills, you cant if someone on your own team is literally keeping the flag away from you. They're morons, sure, but they might not be malicious trolls. A better example is someone constantly taking a vehicle and purposefully giving it to the other team - something i've actually seen happen when there has been a streamer on one team.

BF is still a sandbox game. The competitive ranked modes have consistently failed. It sucks but there will always be people not playing the objective, either because they want to go for 1000m headshots, go for gimmick gadget kills, or because they want to see how high they can launch a tank with c4, or attempt a rendezook.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I feel like there are a few places (the start of Sinai on Operations, particularly for the defenders) where sitting with my periscope on some high and hidden spot and non-stop 3d spotting (particularly if I managed to flank the enemy) was more useful than anything else I could have done.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

afkmacro posted:

Stop complaining about snipers, it's really not that big of deal and neither is winning or losing, none of this matters. All that matters is METRO 24/7 NO EXPLOSIVES FAST UNLOCK XP+++++

No Noshahr Canals TDM 24/7 no deal :haw:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Raine posted:

I like the way Hell Let Loose does it, where your score is divided into four separate categories:

Combat - score for killing or destroying enemy infantry, vehicles, structures etc

basically K/D is rendered meaningless and not shown at all. only you can view your own K/D through a private statistics page
I like it too, but I wish they did a bit more with the offense and defense score since at the end it's always about the same as other squad members so the only ones that really matter are combat and logistics.

The HLL system would also highlight when people never help cap points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Just hide K/D completely and only display score

Raine posted:

Sounds good