Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Biplane posted:

lmao i wish the thread could be renamed to this entire quote

me and my friends' childhood space fantasies were being x-wing squad members blowing up Death Star 3 This Time It's Way Worse And Luke And Han Can't Do It For Reasons but I guess statistically there had to be some kids who were super amped to play the guys mopping the space dock while we were doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Elevators are working now, I guess.

Except for when they aren’t, that one guy got hurt in that photo as I recall.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

sexpig by night posted:

me and my friends' childhood space fantasies were being x-wing squad members blowing up Death Star 3 This Time It's Way Worse And Luke And Han Can't Do It For Reasons but I guess statistically there had to be some kids who were super amped to play the guys mopping the space dock while we were doing that.

Maybe they should have played Space Quest if they wanted to be a janitor.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The most popular manga and anime genre is insipid power fantasies about dying and being reborn in a fantasy world with magical powers and a crowd of friends

It's trite and boring but at least it isn't the Star Citizen fantasy of wanting a life in another world where they do manual labor except in space in the most boring possible way.

Hardspace Shipbreaker at least is a puzzle/speedrun sort of deal where the money is a high score, so you CAN do space labor in an interesting way but not when your mindset is that new players need to work for tens of hours to get the cheapest ship. Though now that I think about it I assume they are actually fantasizing about everyone except Legatus Concierge Chairmen like themselves having to do it and they don't actually want to have to do it themselves.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Hardspace Shipbreaker at least is a puzzle/speedrun sort of deal where the money is a high score, so you CAN do space labor in an interesting way but not when your mindset is that new players need to work for tens of hours to get the cheapest ship. Though now that I think about it I assume they are actually fantasizing about everyone except Legatus Concierge Chairmen like themselves having to do it and they don't actually want to have to do it themselves.

I don't think anyone would really argue that you can't make a fun game about being a space janitor. People are mocking the idea of it, yeah. The fantasy involved. But you could make it fun. You just have to make it a game.

I don't know that specific one, but successful "Work sim games" tend to have a strong gameplay loop, challenges, progression, things to discover along the way, some kind of story, and, eventually, a win state. They also tend to be single-player. The point of them isn't just to earn enough money to do what's actually fun, they have to be fun themselves.

This makes them very, very different from what The Citizens keep asking for. Because a game where you are actually doing hours of work every day, repeatedly, for months and months before you earn enough money to unlock the part of the game you are interested in sucks. It would suck even if you weren't a janitor. Imagine a game where you are a Space Soldier, whose main job is to patrol, stand guard, fill out paperwork, do regular weapon drills, clean your gear, maintain your uniform, and have a decent chance of going months or even a full tour of duty without seeing any combat (but have to be constantly ready, just in case).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

That's just Star Fox

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know about you, but when I was a child, my game fantasy was a first-person RPG where you were a giant robot pilot. 'Underpaid office peon' never crossed my mind; perhaps that's why i'll never be destined to be a commando.

Who didn't grow up watching their dad come home around 9 or 10 o'clock every night only a little too drunk to have driven home after blowing off steam at the bar after a long day's work at the plant and maybe (if mom let you stay up to watch tv or she was too exhausted doing mom stuff for 3 kids all day and didn't notice you snuck out of bed) you got to hear them argue over the long distance bill or why it's meatloaf again or you missed another piano recital or the teacher sent home another note or the god drat Chevy needs a tuneup again and that's dad obviously just banging on the table as he argues even though the pictures on the wall shook and mom's gotta only crying just because he's yelling again .. and thought "yes, this, but in a spaceship, this is my dream"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Star citizen is just 2021 zombo com

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vice President posted:

Who didn't grow up watching their dad come home around 9 or 10 o'clock every night only a little too drunk to have driven home after blowing off steam at the bar after a long day's work at the plant and maybe (if mom let you stay up to watch tv or she was too exhausted doing mom stuff for 3 kids all day and didn't notice you snuck out of bed) you got to hear them argue over the long distance bill or why it's meatloaf again or you missed another piano recital or the teacher sent home another note or the god drat Chevy needs a tuneup again and that's dad obviously just banging on the table as he argues even though the pictures on the wall shook and mom's gotta only crying just because he's yelling again .. and thought "yes, this, but in a spaceship, this is my dream"

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Star citizen is just 2021 zombo com
Star Citizen: Zombocom dreams, abusive dad routines

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It is fundamentally a product about pretending that in the future you will be able to pretend to live how a poor person imagines a rich person lives.

IN. SPACE.

E: posted from my exclusive gold plated iGlass in my private box at the Mars horse races, sipping Veuve Cliquot with a space flight attendant I met in first on my way over :wotwot:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 30, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Strategic Tea posted:

It is fundamentally a product about pretending that in the future you will be able to pretend to live how a poor person imagines a rich person lives.

IN. SPACE.

E: posted from my exclusive gold plated iGlass in my private box at the Mars horse races, sipping Veuve Cliquot with a space flight attendant I met in first on my way over :wotwot:

I'd play a game about being Ruby Rhod

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vice President posted:

I can't wait to fail to live up to my potential in a high fidelity virtual space environment.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BattleMaster posted:

The most popular manga and anime genre is insipid power fantasies about dying and being reborn in a fantasy world with magical powers and a crowd of friends

It's trite and boring but at least it isn't the Star Citizen fantasy of wanting a life in another world where they do manual labor except in space in the most boring possible way.

I think the second fantasy is healthier because it doesn't involve violently murdering women for refusing to have sex with you.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yaldabaoth posted:

I think the second fantasy is healthier because it doesn't involve violently murdering women for refusing to have sex with you.

What about the "logical consequences of space piracy?"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

BattleMaster posted:

What about the "logical consequences of space piracy?"

I'm pretty sure the people who want to be space janitors are a different group from the people who want to have murder-gently caress fantasies in space.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Like a job in space, that you have to pay for.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
lol, the space janitor game was released 7 years ago

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Imagine a game where you are a Space Soldier, whose main job is to patrol, stand guard, fill out paperwork, do regular weapon drills, clean your gear, maintain your uniform, and have a decent chance of going months or even a full tour of duty without seeing any combat (but have to be constantly ready, just in case).

Shut up and take my money!

E: although actually Papers, Please! Was an incredible game

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That is the thing, you can make a fun game out of the most tedious poo poo, but you Neff to be able to make a fun game

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CommissarMega posted:

I don't know about you, but when I was a child, my game fantasy was a first-person RPG where you were a giant robot pilot. 'Underpaid office peon' never crossed my mind; perhaps that's why i'll never be destined to be a commando.

I wanted to mop floors on a spaceship. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vice President posted:

:lol:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Applewhite posted:

The first thing I would do upon buying a new game was read the "story" section of the manual.

My other favorite was if they had an "enemies" section.

the Diablo manual was better than Diablo

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Simone Magus posted:

the Diablo manual was better than Diablo

my mom confiscated my diablo manual because of the exposed cleavage on the amazon or rogue or whatever. god drat you mother

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
moms: ruining gaming since 1955

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Came to mention this, this game is actually really fun. especially in multiplayer where your friends keep tracking bloody footprints where you've just finished cleaning, or spilling your water buckets. And it works because that's the whole core of the game. There is no expectation that you could also suddenly go flying a spaceship or become the owner of the buildings you're cleaning up, or any other SC fantasy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Apropos of nothing, but I was thinking about the 'pixel detail' hype of a while ago. Screens in Star Citizen are not just normal textures like other games, they are made of actual simulated pixels! Its the kind of stuff no other studio would bother with, its the kind of attention to detail only true pioneers have. It doesn't bring any true 'gameplay value' but its just next-level immersion. Yes I know, the usual haters here are going to whine how its not a real game and how this stuff has no bearing on the day-to-day experience, but it really is noteworthy and cool. For those who didn't see it yet:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This is literally in the billboards in Elite

u can even fly through them because David Braben has discovered how to simulate REAL HOLOGRAMS!!!

Not even physicists can create real 3d holograms with no medium!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
These people really did just stop playing videogames and completely zoned out from everything game-related after the last Wing Commander game came out. They're kind of like the woman who made the Ouiya.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pretty sure most developers would avoid doing that because of the moiré effect

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

lol its a shader. with moiré. next level

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

They said it couldn't be done. They said the technology wasn't there yet, it would be madness to even try.

Once again, Cris Robert proves them wrong.

Good luck trying to get the engine in RDR2 to show that much details on the screens!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The legs aren't supposed to be sticking off the bottom, right?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Apropos of nothing, but I was thinking

Remember folks, the person balancing your tires, doing your root canal or flying your plane may be thinking about Star Citizen

.random
May 7, 2007

So..uh.. Are people still pretending this billboard isn’t from Elite? I think that post was actually trolling us. We are the victims now… :aaaaa:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still can't get over the guy who thought having fishtanks in the game means you will 100% totally have scuba diving in SC.

When he goes to the dentist and sees their fish tank full of guppies and tetras, do they thinking "he must have spend years collecting this many fish on scuba trips".

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

twistedmentat posted:

I still can't get over the guy who thought having fishtanks in the game means you will 100% totally have scuba diving in SC.

When he goes to the dentist and sees their fish tank full of guppies and tetras, do they thinking "he must have spend years collecting this many fish on scuba trips".

I mean, this was a plot point in Finding Nemo.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
these are the dudes who cried at the end of ready player one, when they revealed that they shut the game off on weekends.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

hbag posted:

i got a bootleg version of elite 2 for the atari ST
title screen has a bright scrolling text telling you who cracked it lol
been meaning to back up the floppy it's on

Do it already. Both recorded audiotapes and written diskettes degenerate more and more as every year goes by, due to shedding iron oxide particles and stray magnetic fields. The term for this is "bitrot".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Time_pants posted:

I mean, this was a plot point in Finding Nemo.

Really? But even then thinking that's literally the only way to get fish is pretty lols worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yaldabaoth posted:

These people really did just stop playing videogames and completely zoned out from everything game-related after the last Wing Commander game came out. They're kind of like the woman who made the Ouiya.

Including, judging by the streams, Chris Roberts himself. Which explains so much.

Also there's a new Ouya, the Intellivision Amico. It looks to be a trainwreck.