Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Weird question, Duckman:

It appears that 2 people that aren't me have signed up for their verizon accounts (one post, one prepaid) with my email address, so I get their alerts and promos and poo poo (one of them has trouble paying their bill on time, as well, so that's fun).

Can regular customer care help fix that, or am I going to have to jump through a fuckload of hoops because they are not my accounts, even though it's my email address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Weird question, Duckman:

It appears that 2 people that aren't me have signed up for their verizon accounts (one post, one prepaid) with my email address, so I get their alerts and promos and poo poo (one of them has trouble paying their bill on time, as well, so that's fun).

Can regular customer care help fix that, or am I going to have to jump through a fuckload of hoops because they are not my accounts, even though it's my email address?

Yeah that’s a weird one.

Try care first here (800) 392-0717

Try fraud here if no luck: (888) 483-7200

It’s weird because it is not quite fraud , but has the potential to bleed into it.

Note: don’t call Fri to Sun, iPhone launch or course will create massive wait times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah that’s a weird one.

Try care first here (800) 392-0717

Try fraud here if no luck: (888) 483-7200

It’s weird because it is not quite fraud , but has the potential to bleed into it.

Note: don’t call Fri to Sun, iPhone launch or course will create massive wait times.

Thanks. I find it odd that the system doesn't reject the email on input since my account already has that email attached to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Thanks. I find it odd that the system doesn't reject the email on input since my account already has that email attached to it.

There are people (of course not normally) that have multiple accounts. I just had a family who had 5 lines, setup another 5 in the husbands name because they didn’t qualify for all 10 lines on just one name.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you’re like me and had trouble activating your iPhone 13 now that they use eSIM instead of shipping a SIM in the phone, you can call *611 and tell the robot “eSIM activation.”

I waited about 3 or 4 hours and my new phone wouldn’t activate. I called in, you get a recording telling you to turn off the new phone, that you’ll be abruptly hung up on mid-call, and to turn your new phone back on two minutes after that.

It went exactly like that, and then when I turned the new phone on, it was all good to go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

If you’re like me and had trouble activating your iPhone 13 now that they use eSIM instead of shipping a SIM in the phone, you can call *611 and tell the robot “eSIM activation.”

I waited about 3 or 4 hours and my new phone wouldn’t activate. I called in, you get a recording telling you to turn off the new phone, that you’ll be abruptly hung up on mid-call, and to turn your new phone back on two minutes after that.

It went exactly like that, and then when I turned the new phone on, it was all good to go.

Oh, fyi they had a system glitch with iPhone 13 activations. I think the eSIM was a mistake , it was supposed to be regular.

Now, same coverage either way. All I know is they said it was resolved, it’s not what I deal with day by day.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

After the system saying that the phone was in Ontario, it suddenly got delivered. Thank you Canada.

Super easy set up. I was afraid that the bad signal at my house would be an issue when we activated but it went through just fine.

When it comes to the SIM card on my old phone, what exactly do I need to do with it? I have erased my phone (the system brought it up as an option to one button erase it but it did not with my wife) but I cannot remember what to do with the SIM card.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

According to Mr Robot, you're supposed to throw it in the microwave with some memory chips and SD cards.

I have a little ashtray (the kids still make those in school) with a few SIM cards in it that I just haven't bothered to toss.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Just wanted to (publicly) give Duckman a shout for helping me earlier this week with a nice phone call to do everything for me making it real smooth and easy like to switch back to Verizon as well as swap to the new iPhone 13 with all the relevant deals and details addressed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

say no to bats posted:

Just wanted to (publicly) give Duckman a shout for helping me earlier this week with a nice phone call to do everything for me making it real smooth and easy like to switch back to Verizon as well as swap to the new iPhone 13 with all the relevant deals and details addressed.

Woot no worries !

Appreciate everyone who took referrals or my help.

It’s been crazy busy, to give you an idea, I have now processed , personally, 150ish device preorders in 7.5 days of work.

My normal device quota for the month (base quota) is 140-145ish phones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do you guys use your Up dollars? I feel like $3/mo in Amazon gift card is more useful than $5 in device dollars since that's only $120 after 24 months and that's small enough that there might be better deals from not Verizon.

Also Verizon is much slower than AT&T was when I tested on 9/1 from my 2nd story condo. I just use WiFi at home and I switched to Verizon for better coverage when I'm out and about, but it's still a bit disappointing. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I usually get the device dollars. I had $145 by the time I upgraded, and between that and the trade-in promo, my phone was like $150.

Speed will vary based on about a billion factors, but you know that. I just tested at 300 Mbps down in my house which is plenty fast for anything I do on my phone. :shrug:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I got device dollars before, and when I started using the Verizon Visa, it converted and switched to Verizon dollars, which accrue with my payments like rewards points, as well as the monthly Up.

I'm pushing $300 right now, which is making it tempting to buy my Pixel 6 Pro through Verizon instead of direct from Google this time around.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually never take the device dollars , I get a $5 Amazon card (I assume because of the number of lines I have) and just use that every month. I would likely do that if it was $3 too.

Device dollars are good, I just wish they would also have the option to go directly to the bill for everyone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My wife has been on her family’s plan forever and we need to take her off. Right now I’m Verizon prepaid and that’s been fine for me so I figured I’d put her on the same plan, but she could use a new phone and I’m curious about if things might balance out for post paid taking promos into account. She has a 6S and I have an 11 pro. I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading to a 13pro max and giving her my 11pro, but might just want to get her something new and stick with what I’ve got.

The Verizon prepaid plan I’m on is down to $35 per month and it’s been good. I do hit what seems like congestion sometimes but not sure if post paid would make that much difference. Data quantity is fine, I don’t care about the downgraded video res thing, and hotspot is essential for me. Her family’s plan is a normal post paid Verizon.

Would we qualify for any promotions with me coming from prepaid and her coming from a post paid family plan? What’s the process for getting her number off her family’s plan? From the site it seems like post paid would be twice as expensive so not sure that’s worth it (but also I might be misreading.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

My wife has been on her family’s plan forever and we need to take her off. Right now I’m Verizon prepaid and that’s been fine for me so I figured I’d put her on the same plan, but she could use a new phone and I’m curious about if things might balance out for post paid taking promos into account. She has a 6S and I have an 11 pro. I’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading to a 13pro max and giving her my 11pro, but might just want to get her something new and stick with what I’ve got.

The Verizon prepaid plan I’m on is down to $35 per month and it’s been good. I do hit what seems like congestion sometimes but not sure if post paid would make that much difference. Data quantity is fine, I don’t care about the downgraded video res thing, and hotspot is essential for me. Her family’s plan is a normal post paid Verizon.

Would we qualify for any promotions with me coming from prepaid and her coming from a post paid family plan? What’s the process for getting her number off her family’s plan? From the site it seems like post paid would be twice as expensive so not sure that’s worth it (but also I might be misreading.)

So….postpaid monthly is gonna be more expensive than prepaid. They actually may be updating prepaid plans , but that principle I’m sure will stay the same.

I think I would keep it simple, main reason to go to postpaid is to get upgraded phones. Therefor, cheapest plan is play more unlimited at $140 with autopay discount (total, so $70 + $70).

If either of you are military , teacher , nurse or first responded, subtract -$25

The plan would give you a $1000 trade in towards a 13 pro, and she would get a $400 trade in towards any 13. That’s the main trade incentive. Whether that’s worth doing versus prepaid is up to you.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know what questions you have.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
After hours of woe on the phone with ATT, Duckman was super responsive and helpful with getting the line ported over. Also the guy at my "local" corporate store was friendly and had everything ready. Would Verizon again.

If only this was something fun other than paying for the wife's work phone!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That all makes sense. One followup, my wife's family is a little unreliable right now and she's not actually sure who the primary account holder even is (I assume it's her parents but she's convinced her dead grandmother is still listed.) Is there any way to transfer her number out without sorting all that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

That all makes sense. One followup, my wife's family is a little unreliable right now and she's not actually sure who the primary account holder even is (I assume it's her parents but she's convinced her dead grandmother is still listed.) Is there any way to transfer her number out without sorting all that?

If she is listed as an authorized user she can do it all herself. If not, they’ll need to talk to the account holder or authorized user.

Two different methods:
1. If you are staying on prepaid, it’s a post to pre transfer. My department is the only department that can do that, if you need help doing that PM me.

2. If you are moving to postpaid, you would move your line pre to post , then have transfer move her over, then order any phone. I can also do everything but the post paid to post paid transfer, so if you want help here also PM me.

Tough call on pre paid versus postpaid, it’s kind of do you want cheaper plan, or more features + discounted phone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gotcha. Lookin at the numbers I think sticking prepay and just picking up an iphone se for her at full retail is probably my smart move at this point. Sent you a PM!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Duckman2008 posted:

If she is listed as an authorized user she can do it all herself. If not, they’ll need to talk to the account holder or authorized user.

By "authorized user" do you mean "account manager"? When I took at my account online that's the phrase I see.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

saintonan posted:

By "authorized user" do you mean "account manager"? When I took at my account online that's the phrase I see.

Oh, yeah the official term is account manager.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Cool thanks. I may need to separate myself from my multiline account soon; good to know it should be relatively painless.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Is there a better way to report dead zones than messaging on Facebook and dealing with the “have you tried resetting network settings” BS?

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon because of service sucking with T-Mobile here, and overall it’s been better, but one shopping plaza has literally no service and is in the 5G nationwide coverage map.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buff Hardback posted:

Is there a better way to report dead zones than messaging on Facebook and dealing with the “have you tried resetting network settings” BS?

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon because of service sucking with T-Mobile here, and overall it’s been better, but one shopping plaza has literally no service and is in the 5G nationwide coverage map.

Unfortunately not that I know of.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Construction standards can have a big impact on service as well.

My kid gets almost zero signal inside his high school, but the moment he steps outside he gets full bars UW and flooded with notifications.

Unfortunately, buildings constructed in the 60s do a good job of filtering RF.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Buff Hardback posted:

No, I have called into Verizon in the past and even they were not able to solve anything. After resetting the network, they had me go into a store and get a new SIM card. I did that and it did not fix it. I thought my phone’s radio transmitter might have been having issues (although my wife was having the same issue) but my new phone still does it.

I have just gotten used to the fact that my town has several dead zones (including the interstate that runs right through it)

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5g that was from T-Mobile that is now unlocked. Will it work for Verizon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerome Louis posted:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 5g that was from T-Mobile that is now unlocked. Will it work for Verizon?

Yes. If you bring your own device and number and get play more unlimited you can also get a $500 gift card.

If you have questions or need help switching feel free to PM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The $500 can only be used to pay off existing charges on your old line right? So if you own the phone free and clear and aren’t locked into anything that would have an ETF, you wouldn’t get anything?

e: I think I'm wrong because the fine print doesn't indicate any such restriction. I just switched and pre-ordered an iPhone at Costco because they had a $350 switching promo and I would get 5% off the purchase price of the iPhone 13 Pro and waived activation fee. Now it looks like I may have hosed up and passed up $70 and wasted 45 min, with the additional annoyance that I have to go to Costco to pick up the phone, which won't arrive until 10/8. I didn't even get to give Duckman a referral after all his help. I should've just done in-store port and purchase on Friday. :(
Picking up the phone from Costco was a shitshow. They didn't let me know the phone was ready, I had to check tracking and saw it was delivered yesterday morning.

The person working at the kiosk had to re-process my pickup as an in-store purchase and line upgrade because the port-in and BYOD deal (which I thought was a Costco promo) blocked the upgrade, which was possibly also entered as a new line. The promo on 9/22 when I placed the order waived the activation fee and it's no longer valid, so instead of doing a new line with no activation fee, I'm now going to have to pay TWO activation fees: one for the port-in and one for today's line upgrade. I'm so mad because I just followed the salesperson's directions, and now I wonder if they had an ulterior motive due to commissions. Plus I had to pay $8 for the SIM during the port-in.

That salesperson? They don't work at the kiosk anymore. :fuckoff:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 6, 2021

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

You’re a loser.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

That salesperson? They don't work at the kiosk anymore. :fuckoff:

seems like a dick move (for you)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If one member of the family is a teacher and we’re all on the same plan (3 lines of start unlimited), can we all get the teacher discount?

There’s a teacher discount, right? Hmm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

If one member of the family is a teacher and we’re all on the same plan (3 lines of start unlimited), can we all get the teacher discount?

There’s a teacher discount, right? Hmm.

Yup! Just make sure the person is listed as an account manager , and then go to Vzw.com/teachers to apply.

It’s a flat $25 off for 3 lines.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Is anyone else having trouble getting their trade in box for the iPhone trade in promo? I did not receive a box when I ordered. I manually requested one myself after that and did not receive one either. I then spoke to a rep on the chat, who confirmed my address, and confirmed another one would be sent, and I still haven't seen it. My email states I have about 10 days to keep my promo and if they are firm with those dates I'm going to be pushing it. Not sure where to go from here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

manwithoutskin posted:

Is anyone else having trouble getting their trade in box for the iPhone trade in promo? I did not receive a box when I ordered. I manually requested one myself after that and did not receive one either. I then spoke to a rep on the chat, who confirmed my address, and confirmed another one would be sent, and I still haven't seen it. My email states I have about 10 days to keep my promo and if they are firm with those dates I'm going to be pushing it. Not sure where to go from here.
My iPhone came with a padded envelope and a return shipment label. I didn't get a separate box.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

manwithoutskin posted:

Few things:

I’m sure there could be issues. With volume alone, it’s organized chaos.

You should be able to get a digital label to print at vzw.com/tradein

I haven’t used the website personally in a while, but I think it would do the trick.

If not, set a store appointment at vzw.com/store
locator , a store manager can manually print a label. Mileage varies a little bit on whether they’re willing too, but when I was in the store it was just print manual label, notate it on account.

The official customer facing stuff is 30 days. The non official part is the system will auto grab the promo within 45. Even after that, customer care can file a ticket to fix it if it came to it.

So def be proactive for sure, but it should be fixable.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Thanks for the assistance, the vzw/tradein link looks to be beginning a new trade in when I already have a submission ID. Not sure this is the right move when my original trade in is showing me a 1k value vs the /tradein tool giving me something like 350 (trading in the 11promax for the 13 promax).

Do you think a manager can print a label for an existing submission ID?

@Endless Mike, I did not have a return label with mine unfortunately. Still have the box here actually and just double checked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

manwithoutskin posted:

Thanks for the assistance, the vzw/tradein link looks to be beginning a new trade in when I already have a submission ID. Not sure this is the right move when my original trade in is showing me a 1k value vs the /tradein tool giving me something like 350 (trading in the 11promax for the 13 promax).

Do you think a manager can print a label for an existing submission ID?

@Endless Mike, I did not have a return label with mine unfortunately. Still have the box here actually and just double checked.

Oh, no def do not do a new trade in for $350.

Did you try the “check my trade in” option?

I think a store manager could yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My trade kit arrived about a week after the new phone. I definitely would start a paper trail if it's been a week to make sure you get the right trade allowance.

Also chiming in to say Duckman is an MVP. He's super accessible and has helped me navigate issues over the years.