Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Araganzar posted:

It feels like a little more than sabre rattling considering under the new security law annoying a bunch of crusty old officials is presently a crime carrying a penalty of life imprisonment in China.

lol dude wtf are you talking about? post a source. sick of seeing this stupid propaganda poo poo going unquestioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if the chinese government wanted to lock people up for drawing gay animes, their jails would be overflowing with arknights fans.

im not saying this will have literally zero effect but its not 'outlawing androgynous men' as a unilateral law that will lead to mass arrests. its something to lean on to muscle out foreign art, something they already do.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I live in china and people abroad have no idea wtf is going on here. there are so many movies in american history that have been chopped up in order to achieve a pg13 rating. it's also amazing that in a thread that aknowledges that gacha (and most monetized online gaming) are negative societal influences, theres also backlashes against any attempt to regulate it. as of now, all this is just hot air. china's a big place with a lot of different authorities, who can even disagree with each other. imagine if I took that pedophile judge from alabama and said he represented all of america's moral laws. sickening to see people generalizing when they really don't know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well this is the worst time to ask but I'm doing it anyway because got bored and made a dumb meme.

So, what exactly was the Anniversary backlash even about? People just got riled up creating expectations that they were going to get a bunch of stuff out of nothing? Because that's as far as I'm aware of it because when I see the bad parts of a fandom I simply turn around and do not engage with it. Did Mihoyo even state that they were going to be doing anything special in advance? I feel like this all just came out of nowhere because I'm terminally oblivious to this stuff in general.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Anniversary events are typically a big deal in gacha games. People imported those expectations here -> got disappointed when miHoYo didn't follow the conventions -> realized that other people also expected there to be something. Collective dissatisfaction = legitimate grievance (to some folk), so they started making a stink about it. Silence from the devs meant there was nothing reining in unrealistic expectations and/or flame-fanning, with the latter coming from folks who were already dissatisfied with recent releases for one reason or another.

They did say "look forward to our anniversary stuff!" but it seems that said stuff is almost entirely community events like the concert, anniversary theater, etc.that offer very little in the way of tangible gameplay-related rewards. Again, it's atypical for a gacha anniversary to have almost no in-game event rewards (IME), so people were disappointed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

RareAcumen posted:

So, what exactly was the Anniversary backlash even about? People just got riled up creating expectations that they were going to get a bunch of stuff out of nothing? Because that's as far as I'm aware of it because when I see the bad parts of a fandom I simply turn around and do not engage with it. Did Mihoyo even state that they were going to be doing anything special in advance? I feel like this all just came out of nowhere because I'm terminally oblivious to this stuff in general.

The Incredibly Short Version: It's Gamers being Gamers

The Slightly Longer Version: Other gacha games in the same genre Genshin Impact periodically hand out free stuff to players as carrots to keep them around and traditionally get very generous with free rolls/free stuff/half-off events when their anniversaries come around both to keep players happy and to provide a good on-ramp for new players. Mihoyo has traditionally been markedly less generous in this regard than direct competitors for the first year since launch and their anniversary was looking to continue that trend. This made a certain loud subset of people very unhappy, and Gamers being Gamers this subset took over social media about it.

Then there were a few extra rewards that got distributed these last four days which don't really amount to much in the long run. It was effectively Mihoyo staring the loud portion of their playerbase dead in the eyes and saying we hear you, and this is all you're getting, these table scraps here. This is the game, take it or leave it. They presumably then walked away to count their billions upon billions of dollars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mirello posted:

I live in china and people abroad have no idea wtf is going on here. there are so many movies in american history that have been chopped up in order to achieve a pg13 rating. it's also amazing that in a thread that aknowledges that gacha (and most monetized online gaming) are negative societal influences, theres also backlashes against any attempt to regulate it. as of now, all this is just hot air. china's a big place with a lot of different authorities, who can even disagree with each other. imagine if I took that pedophile judge from alabama and said he represented all of america's moral laws. sickening to see people generalizing when they really don't know.
uhhhh i agree with what youre saying somewhat but i dont think androgynous men are the part of gacha gaming that need regulating

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anniversary stuff has also been treated as a back-breaking straw given the people angry about it are often overlapping some with those dissatisfied over the past 3 banner 5* (Yoimiya, Shogun, Kokomi) and whatever other issues they see in the current game. and some of the community event stuff just particularly sucks beyond usual, when they have already been existing in the weird gray area of taking advantage of fan content.

at this point it's impossible to tell if the 4 mails we're getting were fully damage control stuff or not, but it has become the small victory for some, and another thing to complain about each day as whatever their expectations are continue to not be met. the timing of stuff like those mails and the concert/stream, plus unexplained bits to the current event (the charms) have me feeling like it's possible there was a slow rollout plan to something...at least on par with Lantern Rite, but the mob kicked up basically the second the 2.1 stream only revealed small login and top-up bonuses. nothing being directly tied to "Anniversary" in-game makes sense to me in the same way mhy has refused to connect Geshin with rl holidays, but ofc we have the login bonuses and they held their big high-effort event until the anniversary week as opposed to how they usually drop close to patch start.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

dogsicle posted:

the anniversary stuff has also been treated as a back-breaking straw given the people angry about it are often overlapping some with those dissatisfied over the past 3 banner 5* (Yoimiya, Shogun, Kokomi) and whatever other issues they see in the current game. and some of the community event stuff just particularly sucks beyond usual, when they have already been existing in the weird gray area of taking advantage of fan content.

at this point it's impossible to tell if the 4 mails we're getting were fully damage control stuff or not, but it has become the small victory for some, and another thing to complain about each day as whatever their expectations are continue to not be met. the timing of stuff like those mails and the concert/stream, plus unexplained bits to the current event (the charms) have me feeling like it's possible there was a slow rollout plan to something...at least on par with Lantern Rite, but the mob kicked up basically the second the 2.1 stream only revealed small login and top-up bonuses. nothing being directly tied to "Anniversary" in-game makes sense to me in the same way mhy has refused to connect Geshin with rl holidays, but ofc we have the login bonuses and they held their big high-effort event until the anniversary week as opposed to how they usually drop close to patch start.

I suppose this is why there's a lot of suspicions still flying, why would Mihoyo wait until NOW to start handing out these rewards. Couldn't they have at least teased it a bit, especially with the outrage slowly boiling? It sounds like either a critical failure on their PR department, or they quite literally thought that 10 rolls and a pat on the back would be enough to placate the playerbase they already know feels incredibly hostile over recent events.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i find the mail rewards being planned a little suspect if only because they already went and made a login thing, and it isn't clear to me why they would send those separately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean 'teasing it' would just make people want more. and the issue with placating a hostile playerbase is that it just makes them expect whining to work.

and again i think people are vastly overestimating how much sway this stuff has. the jp, kr, and cn playerbases are mostly making fun of the eng playerbase for this, and most english players are barely even aware this stuff is happening. a small portion of a fourth of genshin's market was mad for a couple days. heaven forbid.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
they were smart not setting any expectations for the anniversary, people were already bitching a month ago. nothing they could announce would have been good enough. I don't care for how they disabled editing signatures, though

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mihoyo genuinely thought people cared about their Chinese festival, big mistake

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

padijun posted:

I don't care for how they disabled editing signatures, though
they never actually did that im almost positive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Mihoyo genuinely thought people cared about their Chinese festival, big mistake

The current even rules tho

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Endorph posted:

they never actually did that im almost positive

can you edit your signature/namecard right now? I changed mine less than a week ago, now I can't, on both mobile and pc. I just assumed they disabled it to curb toxic sigs/names during the anniversary

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There is no anniversary rewards.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the real anniversary reward is the recipe for rice pudding, a 100-stamina food that uses all easy to obtain ingredients

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Meiteron posted:

The Incredibly Short Version: It's Gamers being Gamers

The Slightly Longer Version: Other gacha games in the same genre Genshin Impact periodically hand out free stuff to players as carrots to keep them around and traditionally get very generous with free rolls/free stuff/half-off events when their anniversaries come around both to keep players happy and to provide a good on-ramp for new players. Mihoyo has traditionally been markedly less generous in this regard than direct competitors for the first year since launch and their anniversary was looking to continue that trend. This made a certain loud subset of people very unhappy, and Gamers being Gamers this subset took over social media about it.

Then there were a few extra rewards that got distributed these last four days which don't really amount to much in the long run. It was effectively Mihoyo staring the loud portion of their playerbase dead in the eyes and saying we hear you, and this is all you're getting, these table scraps here. This is the game, take it or leave it. They presumably then walked away to count their billions upon billions of dollars.

Okay, so Miyoho never said anything along the lines of 'stay tuned for the slot machine payout of goodies we'll be handing out to anyone logging in 3 weeks!' like I assumed. I was hoping there was something to this aside from the calendar year rolling over for them to be getting so ungodly loud about. More stuff besides Xinyan finally being a character in the story- until this event goes away and you have to look up video of it for her to matter oops- and getting a free one at least.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

RareAcumen posted:

So, what exactly was the Anniversary backlash even about?

There's a missing piece of the story here.

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1439892087516934146

They announced this back in September. Their big anniversary event was for people to produce content and promote the game on social media in exchange for a small chance at a new iphone or whatever. The Genshin content creators latched onto this pretty hard, and didn't do a great job of reporting on it. Tectone was out there saying that the reward for submitting fanart was a 10% chance at a Welkin Moon because he didn't read that page too hard.

Then fans started getting ornery, and Mihoyo was silent. Maybe because they were changing their PR team.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Right nothing in the game even says anniversary except the concert promotion. I think it’s cute. gently caress advertisements.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

padijun posted:

they were smart not setting any expectations for the anniversary, people were already bitching a month ago. nothing they could announce would have been good enough. I don't care for how they disabled editing signatures, though

Dead silence lets players dream up a magical scenario where it's all going to work out the way they want. Then it doesn't, because of course it doesn't, and people go into a frenzy over stuff that's like 10% legitimate issue and 90% dreams.txt. Even if you see every customer as a walking wallet you have to pretend they're people once in a while or the illusion fails.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got a glider and a lyre, both of which are pretty cool. You can play the lyre, and it's very pretty. I'm happy with the rewards.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mailer posted:

Dead silence lets players dream up a magical scenario where it's all going to work out the way they want. Then it doesn't, because of course it doesn't, and people go into a frenzy over stuff that's like 10% legitimate issue and 90% dreams.txt. Even if you see every customer as a walking wallet you have to pretend they're people once in a while or the illusion fails.

managing the expectations of gamers is a losing battle, they picked the less damaging outcome :shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also seems like CN and JP aren't raging over the anniversary, it's mostly the english speaking reddit/twitter community being an embarrassment

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

There's a missing piece of the story here.

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1439892087516934146

They announced this back in September. Their big anniversary event was for people to produce content and promote the game on social media in exchange for a small chance at a new iphone or whatever. The Genshin content creators latched onto this pretty hard, and didn't do a great job of reporting on it. Tectone was out there saying that the reward for submitting fanart was a 10% chance at a Welkin Moon because he didn't read that page too hard.

Then fans started getting ornery, and Mihoyo was silent. Maybe because they were changing their PR team.

WHAT THE gently caress?!

https://i.imgur.com/vnhwdJM.mp4

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Mirello posted:

lol dude wtf are you talking about? post a source. sick of seeing this stupid propaganda poo poo going unquestioned.

yeah I'm starting to notice half the time people post something and then it's always 'no actual source' or 'the actual source is some guy at a middle school assembly making the equivalent of a You Kids Are The Future speech'

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Part of it is a vocal portion of the english community seems to have this need for every new 5* to push power creep, and when they don't they are loudly disappointed.

Perhaps it's because of the relatively limited roster but no other gacha I've played has had this sort of dynamic going on, at least to this extent. People happily rolled for Avenger Nobunaga in FGO despite her gameplay being objectively mediocre.

Edit: I guess FGO is not the greatest example b/c NA runs 2 years behind the JP server so there's 2 years of notice on banners that NA can plan for

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 3, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Also seems like CN and JP aren't raging over the anniversary, it's mostly the english speaking reddit/twitter community being an embarrassment

Review bombing random stuff is dumb but it's not like there's any point in standing up for a mobage comlany.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I dont think pointing out gamers being dumb counts as defending a company :shrug:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I think it's important to separate the ostensible reasons for the tantrum from the real causes. Gatcha causes you to misunderstand value. Social media magnifies dissatisfaction and outrage, and intentionally encourages belligerence and dispute. Youtubers chase controversy because Youtube requires it of them. A small number of people have been trying to fabricate a Zhongli outrage for months because they enjoy the power of leveraging community outrage for power's own sake, especially communities centred on reddit

The stuff people go on about, like saying bugs in the game haven't been fixed and that's a reason. Or previous characters have been underwhelming and that's a reason. That's all cynically thrown in by the people trying to cause and perpetuate this outrage, because they know some of the reasons will resonate with you. You will see the outrage as being reflective of what you think is important

I don't think the anniversary rewards are as important to this as the deadline the anniversary date provided. People worked themselves up with speculation and tension as the date approached, while those who wanted this to happen created false expectations. The date was a good excuse to say, whatever you were upset with, this is the day to participate in being angry

The fault lies with Miyoho for deploying gatcha and Youtube and twitter for using social media to destabilise society for profit. Specific Youtubers and a small number of malicious posters also deliberately use social media to destabilise communities and they share fault. Also I'm willing to believe a proportion of Qiqi posters are aware of all of this, and they are complicit

If you're upset with some things Mihoyo does or hasn't done. Even some of the things the people rioting are going on about. That's fine. But I don't believe that's reason to participate in or defend this, because it's not being done in good faith or with true expectation of a positive result for you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirello posted:

In America the censoring just happens behind the scenes before the movies/games are released (or is the natural result of "we want access to US military stuff, so we'll make the US military look cool").

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ytlaya posted:

In America the censoring just happens behind the scenes before the movies/games are released (or is the natural result of "we want access to US military stuff, so we'll make the US military look cool").

I dunno, I thought localisers had a decent sized hand in that too. Whether through malice or incompetence, I'm not sure. Some of them seem to think they are the game's second writers. I know I have heard it be said increasingly recently "oh, [plot element] actually makes complete sense, they explain this in [other languages] it's just English that missed it out".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean they are the game's second writers, even if they don't want to be. That's unavoidable in the act of translation.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Livestream codes:
LBNDKG8XDTND
NB6VKHQWVANZ
BSNUJGQFUTPM

Banners are Tartaglia and Hu Tao Reruns
Thoma (w/ Hu Tao; his animations look sick)
Free Xinyan (lol)

Thoma's a cross between Childe and Xinyan, so it's fitting that they're all involved in this update

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 3, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Really thought there would be a new artifact domain, and it would make Kokomi not suck so much.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Thanks for codes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Maxwell Adams posted:

Really thought there would be a new artifact domain, and it would make Kokomi not suck so much.

thats rumored to be in 2.3, actually, but we'll see if that particular rumor has any weight

also, I kind of suspect we're STILL going to be unable to max the sakura tree favor with this patch, since they mentioned the new teapot layout was at Rank 40 tree. There's gonna be one more area after Tsurumi Island, perhaps. Enkanomiya?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

dogsicle posted:

the real anniversary reward is the recipe for rice pudding, a 100-stamina food that uses all easy to obtain ingredients
The KFC burger recipe is still the single most useful event reward I've gotten in the entire time playing this game, but it might be a close race with this one.

I'm not sure how much I want Childe: he was pretty useful in the duos event earlier, and I could use another non-pyro to build a team around, but the stance thing is awkward to play around and hydro is still hydro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The concert is *amazing*.