Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex. Asimov would talk about it occasionally and it would be weird, but not like in a concerning or obvious hangups kind of way, or even in the "jesus christ Stephen King, you didn't need to include all this" kinda way.

Dan Simmons goes a little overboard with the sexual content. One of my only complaints about his writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Cognac McCarthy posted:

So I just finished God Emperor. Are Heretics and Chapterhouse any good, or are they at least interesting? I'm weighing continuing the series vs. reading something else entirely. God Emperor ends much more conclusively than any book in the series so it seems like Herbert himself was sorta done at that point

I personally liked Heretics and Chapterhouse. But God Emperor was my least favorite of the six.......

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dan Simmons goes a little overboard with the sexual content. One of my only complaints about his writing.

Dan Simmons posted:

The Time Traveler shook his head. "You've understood nothing I've said. Nothing. Athens failed in Syracuse - and doomed their democracy - not because they fought in the wrong place and at the wrong time, but because they weren't ruthless enough. They had grown soft since their slaughter of every combat-age man and boy on the island of Melos, the enslavement of every woman and girl there.

Depends on how you define "sexual", I guess.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve read a lot of Dan Simmons and I wouldn’t characterize him as anything problematic or weird. The most explicit scene I can think of was in one of his horror novels, but it turns out the character was seduced by a ghost or something and didn’t act on his feelings.

On the other hand, I tried reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton and ugh. I didn’t need detailed descriptions of zero-g gently caress chambers. That dude really went out of his way to shove incredibly horny things in among the technobabble. I can’t remember how far I got into it before I wondered if it was worth it (it’s the first of three books), and yeah, after reading the summaries it somehow involves the ghost of Al Capone being resurrected by some alien bullshit. Nope.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

david_a posted:

I’ve read a lot of Dan Simmons and I wouldn’t characterize him as anything problematic or weird. The most explicit scene I can think of was in one of his horror novels, but it turns out the character was seduced by a ghost or something and didn’t act on his feelings.

On the other hand, I tried reading The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton and ugh. I didn’t need detailed descriptions of zero-g gently caress chambers. That dude really went out of his way to shove incredibly horny things in among the technobabble. I can’t remember how far I got into it before I wondered if it was worth it (it’s the first of three books), and yeah, after reading the summaries it somehow involves the ghost of Al Capone being resurrected by some alien bullshit. Nope.

I am probably overreacting. He's still one of my favorite authors. Carrion Comfort had some overlong passages.....same with Illium. I don't really recall any of the Hyperion novels going too strong. Same for Summer of Night, Drood, The Terror.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ok, maybe my quote was too obscure, but back around 2006, Simmons wrote that time travel vignette on his blog, warning how Western Civilization wasn't genocidal enough in its war against Islam.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Some high profile Dune cosplay in the news today.

C- on the stillsuit but the weird vibe is there.

Can't believe I whiffed on Imperial Planetologist Liet Grimes

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hannibal Rex posted:

Ok, maybe my quote was too obscure, but back around 2006, Simmons wrote that time travel vignette on his blog, warning how Western Civilization wasn't genocidal enough in its war against Islam.

Oh, well, yeah I haven’t read a book of his since Drood since I heard he went off the rails politically.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Arglebargle III posted:

Imperial Planetologist Liet Grimes

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
9/11 destroyed dan simmons brain. i liked his first trojan war book good enough, but the second was just filled with unnecessary and weird sex scenes while constantly depicting Islam as 100% genocidal.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And then there's Flashback, which is simply batshit insane through and through.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
All the Dune stuff should have ended neatly with Leto 2 dying and the culmination of his millennia long plan.
Everything past that feels extraneous.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

All the Dune stuff should have ended neatly with Leto 2 dying and the culmination of his millennia long plan.
Everything past that feels extraneous.

Guess that's all personal preference. I liked both Heretics and Chapterhouse and thought both were a step up from God Emperor....which I think is the weakest of the six.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Guess that's all personal preference. I liked both Heretics and Chapterhouse and thought both were a step up from God Emperor....which I think is the weakest of the six.

Just so you know that is an extremely controversial opinion and God Emperor is widely regarded as the second best book in the whole series by a ton of Dune fans (myself included). Heretics and Chapterhouse have their strong points but they are both terminally horny in a way the rest of the series isnt and Chapterhouse contains the absolute nadir of the series with the Bene Gesserit sanctioning the rape of a minor in order to awaken his memories of a previous life.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

Just so you know that is an extremely controversial opinion and God Emperor is widely regarded as the second best book in the whole series by a ton of Dune fans (myself included). Heretics and Chapterhouse have their strong points but they are both terminally horny in a way the rest of the series isnt and Chapterhouse contains the absolute nadir of the series with the Bene Gesserit sanctioning the rape of a minor in order to awaken his memories of a previous life.

I know it is. Just personal preferences. I found the long stretches of inner monologue to be draining and not all that interesting.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

oscarthewilde posted:

9/11 destroyed dan simmons brain. i liked his first trojan war book good enough, but the second was just filled with unnecessary and weird sex scenes while constantly depicting Islam as 100% genocidal.

I think the first one is where a middle-aged college professor gets magically disguised as Paris and goes to gently caress Helen. She ofc sees through the deception, on account of Simmons the protagonist being such a superior lover.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
God Emperor is probably the worse book on a plot and character level, since it's pretty much the Leto II show and he's not compelling as a character, but it's satisfying to see the already bizarre set up of Children taken to the furthest, horrifying extent.

Heretics is probably the better written book, but it's telling a much less interesting story.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I personally would rank the first four books in release order. Messiah is fine, it's not nearly as good as the original. Children is pretty bad, and while I appreciate how weird God Emperor is I didn't actually like it at all.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

It's been over a week since I watched this already but I didn't see any mention of the soundscape/mixing skimming the thread. I felt the soundscape of the film was extremely claustrophobic/anxiety-inducing in a good way. Overall the film constantly felt like things would go South by any moment, but maybe that's because I've seen the Lynch film.

I know it was mentioned and it's probably how the original novel doesn't aim for "realism" but the Atreides army running towards their ships with all of them in a vulnerable position in surprise still feels a little dumb. As mentioned earlier, the Atreides home world having seas to obscure their ships was a nice touch.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 3, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

God Emperor is probably the worse book on a plot and character level, since it's pretty much the Leto II show and he's not compelling as a character, but it's satisfying to see the already bizarre set up of Children taken to the furthest, horrifying extent.

Heretics is probably the better written book, but it's telling a much less interesting story.

God Emperor was originally written just from Letos perspective - the epigraphs from his journal and the framing device of the archaeologists are a remnant of that - and I really wish we'd got that book. Because I love the idea of it being really self referential, and Leto is openly trying to guide/manipulate you into seeing his point of view.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

God Emperor of Dune is more of a philosophical novel than the others. It's not goundbreaking or coherent philosophy, though; it's more like a book of religious sayings but written from the inner psychological perspective of the prophet.

e:

Dessel posted:

I know it was mentioned and it's probably how the original novel doesn't aim for "realism" but the Atreides army running towards their ships with all of them in a vulnerable position in surprise still feels a little dumb. As mentioned earlier, the Atreides home world having seas to obscure their ships was a nice touch.

It's a pretty good way of demonstrating that the Harkonnen attack simply comes too fast for Leto to prepare. Given time, they'd have learned to hide their ships in the sand, but if they tried right off the bat they'd end up eaten by sandworms.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 4, 2021

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

odrade is a cool character, and it's interesting to see how the BG deal with a universe absolutely beyond their control. but yeah definitely feel like extended epilogues

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strom Cuzewon posted:

God Emperor was originally written just from Letos perspective - the epigraphs from his journal and the framing device of the archaeologists are a remnant of that - and I really wish we'd got that book. Because I love the idea of it being really self referential, and Leto is openly trying to guide/manipulate you into seeing his point of view.

It's funny, because Siona is essential for the book to have any plot or narrative structure at all — but just as in the later Heretic, the plot and narrative are completely uninteresting.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I just realized that this whole thread might not know about Calvin and Muad'Dib. This is haram and must be remedied.

It also seems to have returned from a long hiatus, so some new ones for people who did know about it:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
on that note, has anyone got the link to that comic that popped up where Paul is asking Liet about nappy rash from stillsuit use

i need to send it to certain people urgently

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arglebargle III posted:

Can't believe I whiffed on Imperial Planetologist Liet Grimes

elon's pushing the autopilot disengage disengage disengage button

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune and man oh man did Herbert got some things to say. Leto II sounds like a redditor.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Godspeed you dune emperor is probably my favorite of the series. It's where the series fully diverges from the classic hero plot arc set out in book 1. But I think it helps having read the series as a teen (or manchild) instead of now.

I refuse to reread the books but I will consume a limitless amount of visual dune spinoff media, fanart or concept art leaks from failed adaptations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

Depends on how you define "sexual", I guess.

What a load of ahistorical horseshit. The siege of Syracuse is the definition of fought in the wrong place at the wrong time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Vincent posted:

I'm reading God Emperor of Dune and man oh man did Herbert got some things to say. Leto II sounds like a redditor.

On one hand, you're not supposed to like or believe the evil worm nerd. On the other hand, Frankie never really was one for subtly expressing his opinions in his fiction.

Wheels within wheels.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The most interesting stuff Leto says in God Emperor is when he talks about machines and how they engendered "machine thinking" and how humans think in a way that is fundamentally different from computers. It was a shockingly relevant discussion in a sea of reddit nonsense, made more interesting because I had just seen Adam Curtis make the same point in his latest documentary.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1444154199978119173

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Man, Lynch should have waited a few more years with Twin Peaks season 3.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

AnEdgelord posted:

The most interesting stuff Leto says in God Emperor is when he talks about machines and how they engendered "machine thinking" and how humans think in a way that is fundamentally different from computers. It was a shockingly relevant discussion in a sea of reddit nonsense, made more interesting because I had just seen Adam Curtis make the same point in his latest documentary.

I took that bit to be, likely unintentionally, to be largely about capitalism.

Although if you want to trace the "machine mindset" to it's roots, it would be Aristotle's (eventually after like 2000 years) scientifically productive but ultimately inaccurate and repulsive assumption that animals are automata. A conclusion which really gives you a feel for why despite being both patriarchal slave holding societies, many ancient Jews could not stand their Greek contemporaries. In Jewish law, if food was short you had to feed, in order, animals, then slaves, then other dependents, then family, then yourself.

And one of the dumbest interpretations in Christian history; going with this as doctrine, in contradiction to the entirely settled word of God in Judaism, because some pigs drowned after Christ exorcized them and Aristotle made people back then feel all smart.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

In Jewish law, if food was short you had to feed, in order, animals, then slaves, then other dependents, then family, then yourself.

I've heard of the feeding of animals before oneself, but where's the rest of that pecking order detailed?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Crespolini posted:

I've heard of the feeding of animals before oneself, but where's the rest of that pecking order detailed?

oh God now I have to find it and correct anything I got wrong. i think it may have been the Jewish Online Encylopedia, which is an out of date (1901) but searchable uploaded encyclopedia of information about Jewish history, including a ton of stuff about the developmental history of religious concepts in Judaism and related religions (Christianity, Islam, Gnostism).

i really wish it were a post-dead sea scroll edition though

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Okay, found a source for slaves/servants:

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/305549/jewish/Torah-Slavery-and-the-Jews.htm

Let me just say how impressed I am by the fact that this was the Jewish standard in an intersubjective world (ie, as it was known to the collective culture of the peoples of the region) where "Achilles throwing a temper tantrum over not getting to rape a slave girl was bad primarily because it had bad results and was undignified" was the general standard in these things:

quote:

Torah is not just about liberty, Torah liberates in a radical way. Yet here you have these laws about buying and selling slaves. What's going on?

Okay, they're not really slaves. Slaves are people owned by other people. In Torah law, you never have complete ownership over anything. These slaves rest on the seventh day and Jewish holidays, cannot be physically or sexually abused and are obligated in many mitzvot. So they are really more like indentured servants.

But that certainly does not answer our question:

I included the last line just to indicate that there is a lot of critical reading left in the article beyond "oh whew just indentured servitude." And if there's one thing the Bible is clear about, it's that these sorts of standards were not always followed, of course, and we're all aware that the standards were not always good and that God evidently sanctioned some appalling acts at certain points (I'm especially thinking about rape here). But for that to be the standard at a time when taking slaves was considered heroic is still incredibly impressive, at least to me.

e: just recalled offhand encountering, probably in the course of reading about rad angels and demons and then getting wikiholed, mention of advice not to take pretty young slave/servant girls into household if you had a son because that would be setting up circumstances that are obviously morally irresponsible. It was phrased assuming you had a son and in terms of his moral character in particular, though. But it was a moral character in which not raping slave girls was considered an important standard that was just as important to God as any other rule. I guess in the context of thousands of years ago, distinctions between patriarchal cultures can matter.

yeah another edit: also just recalling reading the Book of Job in order to check my basis for an argument and being able to relate to him saying that he takes great care not to look at young girls lustfully. Obviously a very different context. Would really have appreciated him and his pals stating their arguments concisely instead of hiding them in subtle variations in how they talk about how great God is. But it's nice to be able to find an ethical connection to a character written for an audience that is so dramatically different from me. And that's very close to the best spirit of Judaism, and what inspired so many religions that I can't even name them all, and perhaps what it has in common with others that the world values: finding a common humanity in our shared ability to make genuine ethical commitments.

the muhammad of edits, the seal of the edits: thinking about those last Herbert books and i feel compelled to reassure the thread that i am not going to become a judaism fanboy. i liked those parts of the last book or two but it was also a bit weird. i just appreciate coming to a better understanding of religious belief, and will just as gladly gush about cool aspects of buddhism or whatever i most recently read something cool about.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

To me, the most blatant example of "machine thinking" would be McNamara's approach to warfare in Vietnam. Things that aren't (easily) quantifiable are discarded as irrelevant.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

God Emperor Of Dune: In this one, Idaho sucks.
I may be misremembering something from Children, but why would Leto II care so much about Duncan? It's not like he had a relationship with him like Paul did. Stilgar being constantly ghola'd would make more sense for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Vincent posted:

God Emperor Of Dune: In this one, Idaho sucks.
I may be misremembering something from Children, but why would Leto II care so much about Duncan? It's not like he had a relationship with him like Paul did. Stilgar being constantly ghola'd would make more sense for him.

Leto inherited Paul's consciousness so I think it stands to reason that he'd also be fond of him.