Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I think no matter what they do there's going to be a massive amount of work in updating the old factions and maps to fit it, so I think Immortal Empires will take at least a year to come out after the release. I'd wait even longer if it meant a full wraparound world map

Mortal Empires came out within a month of Warhammer 2, and while I doubt it'll be that fast this time, a year seems extremely pessimistic to me. I'd be shocked if it's over six months, and my guess would be under three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Twigand Berries posted:

a lot of these problems being discussed can easily be solved with tools already in game which is agent actions and scouting but effort i guess

Elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The map in that video is "yes, we do have a gigantic 1000 foot wall, but ignore that the map is this 50 foot straight wall that is identical to all the other 50 foot straight walls in the world".

Hoping that this isn't what they're calling a rework.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I anticipate WH3 coming out sometime after 2025 and being a release build of Rome 2 with all factions except Pontus disabled.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So if you'd start a ME campaign with Kraken bro, where would you go? Secure the starting province, knock over Teclis and then move up to the donut? Or abandon the starting province?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Twigand Berries posted:

a lot of these problems being discussed can easily be solved with tools already in game which is agent actions and scouting but effort i guess

I agree that these make moving up to Legendary/VH campaign difficult much more doable but I thought we were discussing the core design of siege battles. Which agent makes the AI leave the walls during a siege with their monsters and cavalry to attack your ranged/artillery killing them for free?

I like sieges for the most part but pretending they don't have major fundamental issues is crazy. Hell I'm pretty sure the AI is still broken for open field ambush fights and can be gamed to stand and die under ranged/artillery fire.

genericnick posted:

So if you'd start a ME campaign with Kraken bro, where would you go? Secure the starting province, knock over Teclis and then move up to the donut? Or abandon the starting province?

That's a viable tactic, just know that if you abandon the Lustriabowl that you're on a timer until somebody declares and tries to take your stuff unless you get really lucky with diplomacy, kiss your neighbor's rear end and they act as a big buffer for you, preventing antagonistic factions from meeting you for awhile so they can get in other wars and not want to dec on you. When money is good you can use a defensive stack to hold your starting provinces for as long as possible or abandon them entirely once you've got a new home province on the donut.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ZeusJupitar posted:

I anticipate WH3 coming out sometime after 2025 and being a release build of Rome 2 with all factions except Pontus disabled.

We've had this discussion before in the thread, but I would unironically love if CA added Pontus to WH3. No magical touch-ups or anything either, just lift the Rome 2 roster and dump them as a minor faction in the middle of the Dark Lands.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The issue of the AI sometimes avoiding battles and beelining for easy targets is basically a question of whether you want the AI to play well, or whether you want it to feed you interesting battles. It will do things like decapitate a poorly defended capital instead of fighting your army of doom and that's not really a flaw, that's the smart thing to do.

There's a balance to be struck there I think, and I would tend towards wanting the AI to play to win, because it can be very hard to design AI that plays badly but is more fun in some sense. Doing this would also reduce the challenge, which for experienced players already relies on having the AI cheat. I think instead the goal ought to be to design the game so that playing it well is fun, and results in interesting battles. The current game is imperfect but not terrible at that. All that said there can always be some obnoxious behaviors the AI "ought" to do from a mechanical perspective but that would be too annoying to deal with, so you just have it not do them. I don't think that's a big problem in TWW though.

I wouldn't want to kill the AI's ability to try and win wars by making it take disadvantageous field battles that it doesn't need to take. In my experience it doesn't avoid battles it could reasonably win at all.

The latest TW game I played before TWW2 was the original Rome, and the AI there didn't avoid disadvantageous battles at all. It would instead just constantly feed you whatever stacks it could throw together. It was not very fun.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 2, 2021

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

We've had this discussion before in the thread, but I would unironically love if CA added Pontus to WH3. No magical touch-ups or anything either, just lift the Rome 2 roster and dump them as a minor faction in the middle of the Dark Lands.

A "All kinds of poo poo are coming through chaos gates" would be hilarious although an impractical amount of work. I'd love to play Napoleon accidentally transported from marching on Russia to marching on the Chaos wastes of Kislev

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Sidebar: Never was a fan of the way the underway worked in practice, it just let a handful of factions completely ignore terrain design. It should really be a more fixed fixed road system with some kind of overlay system on the map. It’s especially bad trying to go into the badlands or mountains with factions that can’t use it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mazz posted:

Sidebar: Never was a fan of the way the underway worked in practice, it just let a handful of factions completely ignore terrain design. It should really be a more fixed fixed road system with some kind of overlay system on the map. It’s especially bad trying to go into the badlands or mountains with factions that can’t use it.

Yeah the underway being designed as it is is one of the shittiest missteps of the campaign map design and contributes immensely to some factions being enormously annoying to deal with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elukka posted:

The issue of the AI sometimes avoiding battles and beelining for easy targets is basically a question of whether you want the AI to play well, or whether you want it to feed you interesting battles. It will do things like decapitate a poorly defended capital instead of fighting your army of doom and that's not really a flaw, that's the smart thing to do.

There's a balance to be struck there I think, and I would tend towards wanting the AI to play to win, because it can be very hard to design AI that plays badly but is more fun in some sense. Doing this would also reduce the challenge, which for experienced players already relies on having the AI cheat. I think instead the goal ought to be to design the game so that playing it well is fun, and results in interesting battles. The current game is imperfect but not terrible at that. All that said there can always be some obnoxious behaviors the AI "ought" to do from a mechanical perspective but that would be too annoying to deal with, so you just have it not do them. I don't think that's a big problem in TWW though.

I wouldn't want to kill the AI's ability to try and win wars by making it take disadvantageous field battles that it doesn't need to take. In my experience it doesn't avoid battles it could reasonably win at all.

The latest TW game I played before TWW2 was the original Rome, and the AI there didn't avoid disadvantageous battles at all. It would instead just constantly feed you whatever stacks it could throw together. It was not very fun.
At least for me, part of the frustration is the interaction of the AI cheats and the "optimal" aspects of play. The AI money cheats are necessary because it creates badly optimized provinces, so you need bonus money and growth to keep the armies it can field remotely interesting to fight against (except for the various -tides that can form that just roll over you). But at the same time, the AI will often prefer to field lots of poo poo armies instead of a few good armies (which is probably a good move, as it is exactly what I would do if I didn't have supply lines penalties and my opponent did) but THAT means that the AI is free to run around the sole army I can generally afford to field, which further means I need walls on the strategic level to afford some kind of time to maybe reinforce my settlements, or...repeatedly fight defensive siege battles. The combination of both being "smart" and getting cheats leads to the repetition of siege battles, both offensively and defensively.

The number of offensive siege battles you fight also shows up a lot more because while the AI is smart to run from superior armies, it gets perfect vision over your forces while you don't over it, and it can calculate AR strengths without having to actually engage a fight. If I see a stack roll up out of the fog of war, on the first turn I see a few units at most, and guess at the rest. Is it a swarm of marauders, or skinwolves and mammoths? No idea, but the AI does (and can also seemingly see which settlements are undefended from well beyond the fog). And so because of that, it regularly flees well from armies that are close matches (though that seems better recently) and instead retreats to settlements that very often have walls, which increases the amount of siege fights.

It's not the cheats that bother me, because I think those are necessary for both a challenge and fun (I like the mod that gives LLs regular bonus experience so they stay roughly even with your LLs, so you don't run into a level 13 Malekith with a level 40 Tyrion-and-heroes-coterie) but the way both those cheats and the vision cheats lead to more sieges as an emergent property.

As a tangent, I think the change from prior TWs that lets you replenish on your own is generally a good one in that it lets you use higher tier units without worrying about retraining and resupply. The problem is that on-demand replenishment means that the concept of a pyrrhic defeat is basically a huge loss for anyone except maybe the undead factions, which combined with supply lines, encourages doomstacking which exacerbates both problems above. Again, a good change leading to poorer outcomes. (Making this worse is the way WH2 factions can get immediate post-battle replenishment instead of having to at least slow down for a turn or two, but without that, you'd be even more pressed towards ranged-heavy armies than you already are so...)

3K did a lot to encourage field battles by making the AI more prepared to attack you and by making smaller armies actually have a role, as well as just removing walls from minor settlements (and in return increasing their garrisons, giving them more varied maps, and making a loss of them less punishing). They also added army supply to limit just how far an army could actually range so you could theoretically leave your inner provinces free of defensive buildings because enemy armies simply couldn't reach those territories. In practice it didn't work because it was too easy to increase to the point of meaninglessness, but it was a good idea. The map is also wildly different in terms of vision and zone control. A lot of these ideas are part of a fundamental design though, so I don't know how you would put them into WH3, because then you would also have to make them generally compatible with WH1 and WH2. I remember when the ranged targeting rework they did to make bows more effective at shooting into melee also broke the gunpowder weapon targeting completely (still a mistake imo) or how the ME map still plays a bit oddly in WH2 because of climates. It works, but it still is weird.

Also I'm not saying 3k is better. I think it does some things better in some ways, but honestly I find WH just more fun despite its flaws. Mostly, I want them to take a lot of the design cues they took from 3K and eventually totally relaunch Warhammer, but that is ages off. Game is still excellent and I'm hopeful about what they've shown. And empire forts show they can make fun siege maps! They just need more variety and fewer of them. How that happens, I'm not sure.

E: 100% agreed on the underway. It makes a lot of the issues about map design I mention above a lot worse. A railway/teleport system would be a good change since an entire new underground HoMM layer seems too much, but that would cool too.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 2, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

couldn't the existing teleport system be used to modify the underway? just have a lot more nodes and limit which nodes connect? not sure what is possible with mods.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

couldn't the existing teleport system be used to modify the underway? just have a lot more nodes and limit which nodes connect? not sure what is possible with mods.

I have no modding experience and want to say "probably" but also think that because I haven't seen a single mod touch the teleportation system or old underway system at all that it's probably harder than it looks. The only one I've seen do anything with the underway at all is the "Empire forts can't be bypassed" mod.

And if you change the underway to a linked system of nodes (which isnt like either existing teleport system) what do you do with Beastpaths or the inexplicable shadowpath whatsit that Alith Anar get? They are less significant but still.

E: also that sounds like it would be hell for the AI to get right. I can't say I've ever seen AI elves or oxyotl teleport; can they even use it? I would love for it to be an eventual rework akin to the faction reworks we got with DLC but I'm not sure it will be, sadly.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 2, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: the cheating AI: If armies couldnt just walk around whereever without worry about receiving suppliers (cough ammo refills cough) then we wouldnt have to deal with but the fact that the AI can just waltz around anywhere without a care in the world tied in with their perfect vision means that they can and will walk across the whole loving map to attack your one and only unwalled town because they know you dont have an army nearby. Its in their power to make an AI that is receiving cheats but also plays well without being abusive or annoying as gently caress; we're not there right now but 3K does a lot better about it so I hope they take some ideas from how they have the campaign AI programmed.

genericnick posted:

I strongly recommend only playing Kranebro on Vortex because that part of the map is just awful. Krakenbro's gimmick is a free Black Ark with every purchase major port and that part of the map on ME has pretty much zero major ports. Also he has to deal with Skrolk being in the same starting province, which is the only instance of two LLs starting sharing a province.

If you do stick with ME you might be helped because I think they added a dilemma to confederate Karond Kar, so you could just loot and pillage around until you get that event then migrate north.

Sinteres posted:

Mortal Empires came out within a month of Warhammer 2, and while I doubt it'll be that fast this time, a year seems extremely pessimistic to me. I'd be shocked if it's over six months, and my guess would be under three.
Agreed 100%. CA knows that something like, what, 75%+ of all new games starter are ME. They've already talked about how they are working on IE. I dont think we'll have to wait that long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 2, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also he has to deal with Queek

Wrong mouse.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

At least for me, part of the frustration is the interaction of the AI cheats and the "optimal" aspects of play. The AI money cheats are necessary because it creates badly optimized provinces, so you need bonus money and growth to keep the armies it can field remotely interesting to fight against (except for the various -tides that can form that just roll over you). But at the same time, the AI will often prefer to field lots of poo poo armies instead of a few good armies (which is probably a good move, as it is exactly what I would do if I didn't have supply lines penalties and my opponent did) but THAT means that the AI is free to run around the sole army I can generally afford to field, which further means I need walls on the strategic level to afford some kind of time to maybe reinforce my settlements, or...repeatedly fight defensive siege battles. The combination of both being "smart" and getting cheats leads to the repetition of siege battles, both offensively and defensively.

The number of offensive siege battles you fight also shows up a lot more because while the AI is smart to run from superior armies, it gets perfect vision over your forces while you don't over it, and it can calculate AR strengths without having to actually engage a fight. If I see a stack roll up out of the fog of war, on the first turn I see a few units at most, and guess at the rest. Is it a swarm of marauders, or skinwolves and mammoths? No idea, but the AI does (and can also seemingly see which settlements are undefended from well beyond the fog). And so because of that, it regularly flees well from armies that are close matches (though that seems better recently) and instead retreats to settlements that very often have walls, which increases the amount of siege fights.

It's not the cheats that bother me, because I think those are necessary for both a challenge and fun (I like the mod that gives LLs regular bonus experience so they stay roughly even with your LLs, so you don't run into a level 13 Malekith with a level 40 Tyrion-and-heroes-coterie) but the way both those cheats and the vision cheats lead to more sieges as an emergent property.

As a tangent, I think the change from prior TWs that lets you replenish on your own is generally a good one in that it lets you use higher tier units without worrying about retraining and resupply. The problem is that on-demand replenishment means that the concept of a pyrrhic defeat is basically a huge loss for anyone except maybe the undead factions, which combined with supply lines, encourages doomstacking which exacerbates both problems above. Again, a good change leading to poorer outcomes. (Making this worse is the way WH2 factions can get immediate post-battle replenishment instead of having to at least slow down for a turn or two, but without that, you'd be even more pressed towards ranged-heavy armies than you already are so...)

3K did a lot to encourage field battles by making the AI more prepared to attack you and by making smaller armies actually have a role, as well as just removing walls from minor settlements (and in return increasing their garrisons, giving them more varied maps, and making a loss of them less punishing). They also added army supply to limit just how far an army could actually range so you could theoretically leave your inner provinces free of defensive buildings because enemy armies simply couldn't reach those territories. In practice it didn't work because it was too easy to increase to the point of meaninglessness, but it was a good idea. The map is also wildly different in terms of vision and zone control. A lot of these ideas are part of a fundamental design though, so I don't know how you would put them into WH3, because then you would also have to make them generally compatible with WH1 and WH2. I remember when the ranged targeting rework they did to make bows more effective at shooting into melee also broke the gunpowder weapon targeting completely (still a mistake imo) or how the ME map still plays a bit oddly in WH2 because of climates. It works, but it still is weird.

Also I'm not saying 3k is better. I think it does some things better in some ways, but honestly I find WH just more fun despite its flaws. Mostly, I want them to take a lot of the design cues they took from 3K and eventually totally relaunch Warhammer, but that is ages off. Game is still excellent and I'm hopeful about what they've shown. And empire forts show they can make fun siege maps! They just need more variety and fewer of them. How that happens, I'm not sure.

E: 100% agreed on the underway. It makes a lot of the issues about map design I mention above a lot worse. A railway/teleport system would be a good change since an entire new underground HoMM layer seems too much, but that would cool too.

I learned about the AI seeing everything in my many thorgrim games haha now i usually leave a settlement empty to bait the army into attacking otherwise they'll wait until you leave then attack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Derp you're right, thank you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TW is best when there's a plausible veneer of symmetry, but the campaign is actually build around a very asymmetric model that recognises the AI can't compete with a player on a level playing field. The most interesting games (Alexander, Peninsula War, TW2) have all embraced the idea that the player's win condition is not the same as the AI's.

In other words, the AI 'cheating' should just be accepted as normal and built into the narrative of the game rather than being treated as a flaw to be fixed one day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alchenar posted:

TW is best when there's a plausible veneer of symmetry, but the campaign is actually build around a very asymmetric model that recognises the AI can't compete with a player on a level playing field. The most interesting games (Alexander, Peninsula War, TW2) have all embraced the idea that the player's win condition is not the same as the AI's.

In other words, the AI 'cheating' should just be accepted as normal and built into the narrative of the game rather than being treated as a flaw to be fixed one day.
I think we all agree that the AI needs to cheat in some way to pose a threat to the player but again its *how* it cheats. I'm fine with it having extra armies/money/growth (to a degree) but when it has vision over the whole world (and thus knows exactly where your armies are and where you unwalled cities are) then abuses this knowledge to be *annoying*, its bad. 3K does not have this problem to nearly the same degree; its AI is more willing to give the players fights but will still run when at an obvious disadvantage, it will not ignored walled cities (and walk *past* them) to go get unwalled minor settlements, and several other things.

In EU4 I dont care if the AI gets extra money and manpower then plays to conquer the whole world - thats what you want. What I do care about is that it will completely abandon any pretense of defending its core territory or its allies to sail from Brasil to northern europe then get access through five countries to march into central asia to siege the fort farthest from any of my armies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 2, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I don't think anyone has said the cheating is necessarily bad, just that the way it cheats doesn't produce more fun. Well, I think it does, but it also produces more sieges, which I generally don't find fun. I would like for it to cheat in a more fun way. Whether that means more or less cheating, I don't care.

For instance, I would prefer that it used its extra money to make armies that are more fun to fight, rather than making more armies. Or both.

E: vvvv yeah, the skullsmashers or whatever deciding to just charge Reikland's fort over and over are good. Those are fun defensive sieges! (Usually, eventually they get old, but so does everything eventually)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 2, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The best sieges are the ones as Empire when Greenskins go after Fort Bergbres and you have to fight as hard as possible to keep it. Some of my favourite battles.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think the AI should do themed armies, or pick threats from a rotating pool. Sometimes the enemy LL at head of doomstack marches for your capital, sometimes he sends themed suboptimal or even crappy armies to test your borders. Make the bad armies override things like late game Dwarves Fielding perfect t4-5 armies. And I know this happens occasionally naturally, I've seen many a desperation 19 dreadspears stack from the Delves, but I think there's room to have the AI throw a softball or an off all occasionally. You could also override the threat checking it does to avoid suicidal moves.

Combine with the roaming province-bound defense army idea and every so often you see a 20 stack or skavenslaves and clanrats rushing one of your minors(instead of 4-5 of them.) Just a nice refreshing stomp during a tense midgame. Then the empire rolls up with a themed mid range cavalry army or the wood elves with a tree/animals stack, etc.

Player garrisons should get passive exp/chevron gain too. Tied to buildings, tech or time spent alive and unkilled.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

Elaborate on this? I'm not sure what you're specifically referring to.

Doomykins posted:

I agree that these make moving up to Legendary/VH campaign difficult much more doable but I thought we were discussing the core design of siege battles. Which agent makes the AI leave the walls during a siege with their monsters and cavalry to attack your ranged/artillery killing them for free?

I like sieges for the most part but pretending they don't have major fundamental issues is crazy. Hell I'm pretty sure the AI is still broken for open field ambush fights and can be gamed to stand and die under ranged/artillery fire.

More referring to using them as scouts to keep your minors protected in terms of having unwalled settlements on the campaign layer and not at all referring to the absolute dogshit siege battles lol sorry

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The chokepoint fights are still pretty intense when the AI has a melee advantage because if your line crumbles for even a second you're basically hosed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Twigand Berries posted:

More referring to using them as scouts to keep your minors protected in terms of having unwalled settlements on the campaign layer and not at all referring to the absolute dogshit siege battles lol sorry

This kind of has a limit, since many factions still have to wait until tier 3+ to even get their very first agents online, and it's extremely possible to have a lot of territory to cover before you have more than a couple agents to work with, especially if you're one of the unfortunate factions that starts in territory with mammoth-sized provinces, like Norsca. Province size is also a factor in other ways, too - supply lines means you can't really afford to maintain multiple defensive stacks, so if an enemy war decs you and shows up on your eastern front and the nearest army is two turns out in march stance, it doesn't really matter if you have perfect intel. Army block is hardly a solution, either, because it's a low-chance dice roll unless your heroes are incredibly leveled compared to the enemy target, and even then it can fail.

Plus, the whole issue of it not really being that fun to beeline up the tech tree to get cool wizards and heroes and then spending all of their time sitting around providing campaign LOS.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

Go straight to Ulthuan and sack just enough stuff to get a level 3 black ark and barracks so you can get bolt throwers. Disband kraken bro after you sack that first settlement. Tyrion is an idiot and you can sit off the coast of Lothern in your ark until he vacates it and then take Lothern from him. Now you've got the walls and hopefully a whole bunch of handbow corsairs too so you can repluse his attempts to take it back. Build your ark and recruit kraken bro again to continue your Ulthuan conquest. I use supreme sorceresses (fire or dark) as generals to do the land invasions and recruit more arks to grab the ports. You can have the whole island buttoned up by turn 75 if things go reasonably well. Build the slave building everywhere and take slaves with sacking every time you fight. After you own ulthuan you can just bully the rest of the world's coasts but I would only conquer inland in favorable climates.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

nvidiagouge posted:

Go straight to Ulthuan and sack just enough stuff to get a level 3 black ark and barracks so you can get bolt throwers. Disband kraken bro after you sack that first settlement. Tyrion is an idiot and you can sit off the coast of Lothern in your ark until he vacates it and then take Lothern from him. Now you've got the walls and hopefully a whole bunch of handbow corsairs too so you can repluse his attempts to take it back. Build your ark and recruit kraken bro again to continue your Ulthuan conquest. I use supreme sorceresses (fire or dark) as generals to do the land invasions and recruit more arks to grab the ports. You can have the whole island buttoned up by turn 75 if things go reasonably well. Build the slave building everywhere and take slaves with sacking every time you fight. After you own ulthuan you can just bully the rest of the world's coasts but I would only conquer inland in favorable climates.

I’m currently doing a kraken campaign where I didn’t migrate and i think I’m going to start over and give this a shot. Lustria just feels so bad to traverse without access to the underway. Sick of taking attrition damage constantly marching around giant provinces.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
There shouldn't be unwalled settlements.

That doesn't make any sense for such an apocalyptic and genocidal setting.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mannfred, you failson.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

What's funny is that a side effect to the growth nerf was increasing the number sieges I wound up having to fight due to needing to protect settlements I normally would have left unwalled.

My wishlist for the siege rework:
Only capitols have walls and garrisons, wall and tower strength tied to settlement tier.
  • Garrisons can be modified with whatever units would be available at the settlements current tier
  • Settlements get number of points to spend on units
  • Garrison mages get all of their spells at their lowest level
Bigger/wider wall gaps, gate houses and streets, so large units can actually fit through them and have room to actually be useful.
  • Destroyed towers completely collapse to the ground, and crenelations for all factions can be destroyed (looking at you VC and Skaven who have unbreakable ones above their gate houses that block missile fire).
Towers have 180 arc of fire, and no blind spots but only 600m range so they still out range artillery but attackers can actually setup in the backfield without getting nuked by bullshit tier 4/5 Skaven towers.
Replace the wall/garrison building chain with other options (increase chevrons for defenders, ammo for missile units, etc)
Buildable choke points for defenders, which seems likely if that Brass Citadel video is any indication.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 3, 2021

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just had a battle where all of my units except Gor Rok routed. He ended up killing about 800 chaos marauders or whatever on his own and winning the battle. I guess it makes sense because he's unbreakable, has a trait for zero fatigue, has regeneration, and loads of armour.

He just looks like a normal lizard guy as well. Ridiculous.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 3, 2021

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Gor Rok is insane in sieges too. I've sent him up on to enemy walls by himself, turned on triple fast forward, and browsed the forums as he casually killed 900+ enemy units and singlehandedly caused the army losses penalty. He got down to about 60 percent health after hitting regen cap

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I just had a battle where all of my units except Gor Rok routed. He ended up killing about 800 chaos marauders or whatever on his own and winning the battle. I guess it makes sense because he's unbreakable, has a trait for zero fatigue, has regeneration, and loads of armour.

Warrior sending angry petitions to the chaos gods about an invincible "Gror Grock"

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lawdog69 posted:

I’m currently doing a kraken campaign where I didn’t migrate and i think I’m going to start over and give this a shot. Lustria just feels so bad to traverse without access to the underway. Sick of taking attrition damage constantly marching around giant provinces.

Lustria is misery because there are several factions down there that can snowball and be a pain in the rear end right on your doorstep if you don't handle them. Being at war with most of Ulthuan isn't that bad because their provinces are much wealthier, Lothern's in particular.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chas McGill posted:

Gor Rok loving owns

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Having been on the other side of that Go-Rok battle, I bet the AI was feeling pretty frustrated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alas I think my wonderful empire thunderbowl game is cooked, keeps crashing even after reloads, boo. A real shame as I was having quite a bit of fun with it. Might try a restart and see if it does it again.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I've been having a lot of fun using the console command mod to airdrop Repanse into the middle of the Lustriabowl on turn 1, fun to join the rumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

OwlFancier posted:

Alas I think my wonderful empire thunderbowl game is cooked, keeps crashing even after reloads, boo. A real shame as I was having quite a bit of fun with it. Might try a restart and see if it does it again.

How many mods you running?